PDA

View Full Version : Worried crumbling plaster contains asbestos :(

BigOldDrive
31-08-20, 22:08
I have had crumbling plaster in my dinning room in the corner near some phone sockets for two years. It crumbles a lot on the floor a lot in a powder so I hoover it up every couple of weeks

Really worried if it contains asbestos or not and I have then been blowing it all over the house and onto me in the nano particles when hoovering up . Then I am worried these particles will forever be in the hoover.

Is this just a fabricated worry?

Really need to get fixing stuff quicker!

MrLurcher
31-08-20, 22:57
When you say crumbling plaster, do you just mean plaster that's on the wall? Is it plaster that's been applied on stone/brick, or is it dry wall (plasterboard)? How old is the house?

I don't think asbestos was commonly used in plaster or plasterboards, most interior based asbestos boards are brittle not crumbly like you describe, and are usually on ceilings or behind fireplaces.

BigOldDrive
01-09-20, 19:54
When you say crumbling plaster, do you just mean plaster that's on the wall? Is it plaster that's been applied on stone/brick, or is it dry wall (plasterboard)? How old is the house?

I don't think asbestos was commonly used in plaster or plasterboards, most interior based asbestos boards are brittle not crumbly like you describe, and are usually on ceilings or behind fireplaces.

Hi!

This is what it looks like

http://imgur.com/gallery/3xMIdxJ

It is on a outside wall so stone / brick

House is around 1910 but don't know what modifications and when have been done

Fishmanpa
01-09-20, 23:04
Dude... I wouldn't sweat it at all. Patch it up and be done with it :shades:

Positive thoughts

Pamplemousse
01-09-20, 23:58
Nope, that's bog-standard plaster.

Nothing to worry about whatsoever - although the fact it's doing that suggests you might have a bit of damp ingress. My mother's house used to do that due to the wall it was on not being able to 'breathe' - if it's a solid wall (i.e. not a cavity wall) it should really have lime mortar in the exterior brickwork and similarly, lime plaster internally.

MrLurcher
08-09-20, 22:49
Hi!

This is what it looks like

http://imgur.com/gallery/3xMIdxJ

It is on a outside wall so stone / brick

House is around 1910 but don't know what modifications and when have been done

Sorry, only recently saw you replied. I'd say there's close to zero chance there'll be any asbestos in that sort of application.

But probably some sort of damp problem causing the flaking and erosion. Pamplemousse is right in regards to older houses having incorrect rendering. My first house - an old stone cottage had terrible damp issues in cold corners because the stone walls were covered with cement based render inside and out. Could even be a condensation issue which is the most common explanation in a lot of houses with damp complaints.