PDA

View Full Version : Could anxiety be causing this, or do I have something like interstitial cystitis?

lilysmith123
01-09-20, 12:41
At the start of July, I couldnt sleep one night and went to the bathroom, then panicked over not getting a good sleep and kept feeling like I needed to go. When I woke up that morning after eventually falling asleep the feeling was still there and I couldn't;t stop thinking about it..
Long story short, my anxiety skyrocketed over this feeling like I was never done using the bathroom. I was having panic attacks and began logging my symptoms and when I went to the bathroom to keep track and obsessed over it. I convinced myself my life was over, this would never go away, I'd end up with nobody around me because of these symptoms, xyz..
My health anxiety has skyrocketed and I ended up in hospital. However, the symptoms dissipated when I was there. Since I've came home, I dont feel them as much unless I allow myself to get anxious.
I didnt have any pain, only the frequency and never ending urge. And when I'm busy, I can take my mind off it and forget. But the anxiety is there every time I use the bathroom, and its really hard to convince myself its anxiety.
But now im worried I DO have interstitial cystitis and its not anxiety.. I don't know what to do and I feel like I'm going crazy.

Yourboymj99
01-09-20, 13:01
Hey lily,

Definitely sounds like anxiety. I experienced basically the exact same thing which ultimately lead me to this site. Just happened randomly one night when I couldn't sleep. After laying in bed forever I got up to go and I became fixated on it afterward. Hypervigilance is common with anxiety.

lilysmith123
01-09-20, 13:06
Oh my goodness! Thank you for replying. I honestly feel so much relief knowing I'm not alone. How long did this happen for you? Did it go away?

Yourboymj99
01-09-20, 16:45
Hello again

It went on for probably 2 months or so in varying intensity. When I was distracted or having a good time i wouldn't even think about it. I was just obsessively looking and waiting for the sensation to return that as soon as I would feel the need to go to the restroom my anxiety would shoot through the roof. After that time, I ended up getting a nasty sinus infection which led to pneumonia. Needless to say I was distracted and it went away. After about 2 months I thought about it one day after a stressful day at works and it returned. The more I focused on it the worse it was. I did complete blood work and a urinalysis at work which all was perfect. After that I did my best to not think about it and just move on. I said I was not going to let it ruin any more of my time. Eventually my thought patterns slowly shifted away from focusing on it so much but it didn't happen overnight. What helped was exercise, getting outside and hobbies. Take care and keep yourself busy.

lilysmith123
01-09-20, 17:23
Hello again

It went on for probably 2 months or so in varying intensity. When I was distracted or having a good time i wouldn't even think about it. I was just obsessively looking and waiting for the sensation to return that as soon as I would feel the need to go to the restroom my anxiety would shoot through the roof. After that time, I ended up getting a nasty sinus infection which led to pneumonia. Needless to say I was distracted and it went away. After about 2 months I thought about it one day after a stressful day at works and it returned. The more I focused on it the worse it was. I did complete blood work and a urinalysis at work which all was perfect. After that I did my best to not think about it and just move on. I said I was not going to let it ruin any more of my time. Eventually my thought patterns slowly shifted away from focusing on it so much but it didn't happen overnight. What helped was exercise, getting outside and hobbies. Take care and keep yourself busy.

WOW!! This is sooo me. Thanks for this yourboy, I'm really grateful. The anxiety symptoms like heart etc are so well known, so I feel relief knowing I'm not alone in this. Crazy how our brains can behave. Sorry to hear you were ill, I hope you're feeling better! :)

mama_of_3
02-09-20, 05:02
I dealt with these symptoms for years. It felt like I had a bladder infection. No pain, only the constant urge to go. I would go get tested and my urine culture was always negative for infection. This would go on for weeks, then go away for month or two, then return. It was awful. I saw a urologist who did actually diagnose me with interstitial cystitis. But after reducing the stress in my life all my symptoms went away. It was all anxiety-induced and I never actually had IC after all.

pb
02-09-20, 07:52
I’ve had this with anxiety, going frequently. My bladder became use to passing only very small amounts of urine and I had to gradually increase the time between going and it eventually got better.

lilysmith123
02-09-20, 22:03
I dealt with these symptoms for years. It felt like I had a bladder infection. No pain, only the constant urge to go. I would go get tested and my urine culture was always negative for infection. This would go on for weeks, then go away for month or two, then return. It was awful. I saw a urologist who did actually diagnose me with interstitial cystitis. But after reducing the stress in my life all my symptoms went away. It was all anxiety-induced and I never actually had IC after all.

Gosh I'm so sorry, but I'm glad to hear you are physically well. How crazy our bodies can do this to us? How are you feeling now? Hope you're feeling much better.

lilysmith123
02-09-20, 22:03
I’ve had this with anxiety, going frequently. My bladder became use to passing only very small amounts of urine and I had to gradually increase the time between going and it eventually got better.

Man, I wish we could all feel 'normal' again. We worry so much and convince ourselves about these symptoms :(