PDA

View Full Version : Benefits

Freaky Chick
26-10-07, 09:43
Hi

Has anyone else found that the benefits system is such a pain in the *****? (insert your own feeling here!)

It appears to favour those who don't have a genuine illness - (especailly mental health) as it's so hard to get around.

At the moment - having been off work for a year and exhausted all my occupational sick pay i'm an only entitled to £92/week, incapacity benefit - and because that is more than the alleged £59/week the government says i need to live on i'm not entitled to income support and the benefits that would give.

I eventually got coucil tax benefit, but they made a mistake and paid me too much, so now i have to pay that back. And i've applied for DLA now - but no-one told me i could claim it after being ill for 3 months!

I was refferred by psych services to the benefits socail team on March 1st and they RECEIVED the referral on August 20th!!! So i had to sort out the benefits on my own - plus, now it's all done by phone or net i had serious problems accessing because of my anxiety induced speech problem and my poor concentration.

Is it just me?

Sorry i just need to rant - cos i have a benefits/bills deficit of over £1000 a month. And it's not helping my recovery.

Anyone know anything about claiming for Industrial Injury benefit because of a work, stress induced illness?

Freaky chick.

Gordon
26-10-07, 16:31
No one told me I could claim DLA for 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!

So I applied for it, and rang up to see how the claim was going and they said they hadn't even got it! It went missing in the post. So now I've got to make ANOTHER fresh claim and don't even get my money backdated to my original claim now.

Yet the wife of a terror suspect gets 29,000 pounds a year in benefits.........

This country stinks.

Gordon
26-10-07, 16:32
I'd love to get a big group of Mental Health sufferers who are being denied benefits and organise a march on Parliament. Anyone up for it?

Gordon

Alabasterlyn
26-10-07, 17:34
I'd love to get a big group of Mental Health sufferers who are being denied benefits and organise a march on Parliament. Anyone up for it?

Gordon

It's about time someone did something yes Gordon. If it weren't for the fact that I have agoraphobia and couldn't get to the Houses of Parliament I'd be first in the queue lol!

I find it shocking that so many people are denied benefits that they are entitled to. People who have paid their taxes and NI contributions for years and then just told they aren't entitled to benefits because their problem isn't visible!

This country sadly has become such a nanny state with far too many people claiming benefits that aren't entitled to them. I read in the newpaper the other week about families in other EU countries who are receiving Child Benefit and working tax credits because one of their parents is working here. These families are not even living in this country and yet we are paying them benefits.

How did our benefits system get in such a mess :ohmy:

xBettyBoopx
26-10-07, 23:42
Hi Freaky

The benefits system is in total chaos, Gordon Brown hasn't a clue how much it takes people to just exist, he thinks a single person can live on 50 odd quid a week, what a jerk!! I wrote to him and told him that he couldn't expect anyone to live on that little bit of money unless he'd actually done it himself, so basically challenged him to, but he just passed the letter on to the employment agency, gutless piece of ****. However, that doesn't help you or us.

You get more than me:mad: so you must be under 44 years of age, cause they give more to people under that age, apparently you need more than me to live on cause I'm 50:ohmy: :ohmy: That's a bit strange ain't it??!:lac:

I don't know anything about claiming industrial injury, perhaps you could call your local CBA.

I wouldn't hold your breath on DLA, I was turned down. Not that everyone is, there are some here who get it, I think it depends on where you live because of their budgets, everything to do with the government is due to budgets or ignorance. Sorry this has turned into a rant:shades: :shades:

Gordon - I would be there with you but am agoraphobic, so can't go anywhere:mad:

What we need is an organization to speak on our behalf, because of our mental illnesses sometimes we just don't know what we are or are not entitled to, and they take advantage of that.

Elspeth

Freaky Chick
05-11-07, 09:11
Thanks Guys,

I had an idea - having just been for a Dr interview to make sure that i'm incapable of working!!!!!

At which the Dr asked me if i didn't talk to my Psychiatrist either (which having seen a new SHO the day before, and panicked cos he was a new person, and not spoken to him at all!)

I could truthfully say, that i didn't talk to the psychiatrist either!

Surely, they could make a rule, that if your GP thinks you are ill enough to claim benefits or once you've been referred tot he trick cyclist, that he can refer you to the benefits Dr, and then get that sorted out early, and get the benefits you are entitled to because they know for a fact you are ill or whatever.

It might help stop some of the fraud, cos you wouldn't be able to get away with it for a year before you were proved to be a fraud!

I mean, my first appointment the SHO said they needed to take the stress and worry of money off of me - and now Well ............... my mortgage bounced and even with my benefit going in the bank this morning i'm still overdrawn - and i got to live 2 weeks on that.

I too would do a march on Downing Street - but i also suffer from agorophobia (slowly conquering) Social phobia and panic and anxiety.

Aggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh

Freaky chick