PDA

View Full Version : DIAZAPAN

fretty freda
26-10-07, 10:33
HELLO PEOPLE IF ANY ONE OF YOU GUYS HAVE READ MY STORIES YOU WILL KNOW I HAVE A DIFFICULT TIME APROACHING MY DREADED RETURN TO WORK:ohmy: , I AM TAKING CIPRALEX 10 MG AT THE MOMENT AND HAVE BEEN TAKING THEM FOR 4 WEEKS NOW , THEY KEEP ME AWAKE ALL NIGHT AND MAKE ME FEEL SICK!

DO YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD ASK MY DOCTOR FOR SOME DIAZAPAN ?TO TAKE ON MY BIG DAY MY RETURN TO WORK ? I HAVE TAKEN THEM IN THE PAST BUT A LONG TIME AGO AND CANT REMEMBER IF THEY WORK ?

DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD HELP EASE MY NERVES ?

ALL REPLYS WELCOMED :hugs:

Dying_Swan
26-10-07, 10:46
Hi Gill.

It's a tough call but I would say No, it might be best not to go down the Diazepam route.

Is it the first day back at work you are worried about? Perhaps you could try rescue remedy instead.

I'm not anti-Diazepam but it is addictive, and it's not easy to come off it once you've started it. A lot of GP's are reluctant to prescribe it now as well.

Personally, I'd give the Cipralex a bit longer, and have a chat with your GP.

Good luck xxx :flowers:

fretty freda
26-10-07, 10:48
THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE :hugs:

Ma Larkin
26-10-07, 10:53
I know people have worried over the addictiveness of Diazepam, but I never seem to have had that problem. I always have them on me and only take them in times of extreme anxiety (they are only 2mg). I always had Rescue Remedy spray in my bag and I find that this with a bottle of water calms my nerves enough to get me through the day. Good luck with it.

Les

domino
26-10-07, 13:46
I totally agree with, les on this one. i used to take this medication, but i find that rescue remedy is just as good and you do,nt get that doppy feeling like you do with diazapam. Think of your first day back at work as a step towards kicking your anxiety in to touch.good luck x

maxine
26-10-07, 14:21
Hiya Gill,

Firstly it usually takes about 6 weeks for any anti-anxiety medication to settle into your system and stop making you feel pants! So hang in there for another few weeks you'll find you stop having the side affects that you are having.

As for Diazepam I certainly wouldn't consider it at the minute and to be honest I think you're doctor will probably tell you the same, you need to give the original meds enough time to settle.
The thing with Diazepam is that it is highly addictive and you will find it very difficult to come back off that once you've started.

Give it a few more weeks, then see if there is another alternative if you still feel really anxious by talking to your doctor.

Goodluck x

Alabasterlyn
26-10-07, 14:32
This is definately a tough one. I have heard in the past of many people feeling just how you are right now when they start taking an SSRI, which I assume is what you are taking. They can and often do increase your anxiety at first, but this is a side effect that will pass. As has already been mentioned these types of meds do take a bit longer to really get into your system and it really is worth persevering. Some GP's will offer you a very very short course of Diazepam to take with an SSRI in the first few days, but as you are now into week 5 of taking them you may be better off staying clear of them.

I totally agree about how addictive Diazepam and all the other benzos are and can understand GP's reluctance in prescribing them. However as long as they are taken on an 'as needed' basis, which means only taking them occasionally, then you will not become addicted or tolerant to them. It is only when they are taken all the time that problems arise.

I hope you start to feel better soon :hugs:

fretty freda
27-10-07, 17:49
thankyou everyone good advice

Gregor
29-10-07, 06:01
Hi,

I've just been prescribed Diazepam for my upcoming trip overseas. I've never taken it before, so can you maybe tell me how i should expect to feel.

Also, as i have a problem taking tablets, would it be possible to crunch these ones - i mean, do you know what the taste's like?

Thanks,

Gregor