PDA

View Full Version : 4 members of my extended family hospitalised in one week!

Sparkle1984
05-09-20, 14:02
The last 3 days or so have been pretty nerve-wracking, as 4 members of my extended family have been hospitalised for various ailments! :scared15:

Firstly, on Thursday morning my grandmother was rushed to hospital as she'd had a bad fall at home and had broken her hip. We're still waiting to hear when she'll have the operation to fix it - the hospital has been a bit vague on this, which has added to our stress. It's particularly concerning because my grandmother is in her mid-90s and has Alzheimers, and she is my last remaining grandparent.

Then on Thursday afternoon we heard that my half-sister's father had fallen over and broken his wrist. Then this morning my niece texted to say her dad is in hospital with kidney stones. And finally, we found out that my step-brother's mother is in hospital with liver function problems.

As these aren't direct/blood relatives of mine (apart from my grandmother, of course), I don't know them that well, but it still freaks me out that so many people in my extended family have suffered so many mis-haps in such a short space of time. It makes me think "what's next?!"

The irony is that since the middle of this week, my own anxiety and depression has felt a bit better, but I think that's because I've been back on my medication for 5 weeks now so it's starting to kick in more, and also I've been using the anxiety management techniques my new therapist taught me this week (before the chaos began). I felt quite worried on Thursday afternoon when I first found out what had happened to my grandmother, but today I feel surprisingly calm compared to how I have been in recent weeks. One of the themes of my anxiety is about relatives (especially older ones) getting ill, and I had been worried about that for weeks, but now that it's actually happened for real, I don't feel quite as scared as I did before!

I just hope that everyone will be OK and there will be no complications.

Aleman200
05-09-20, 18:41
I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is for you right now Sparkle. Here's hoping everyone will be okay, good news on your own recovery though. :hugs: