PDA

View Full Version : botulism from garlic in a kitchen drawer?

mocata
06-09-20, 20:33
hi guys, feels kinda strange to be back on here )-:

so i stupidly tried to make orange juice using a garlic crusher... must have been very bored, and after drinking it i noticed the crusher still had particles of garlic in the holes. after googling, i learned that old garlic can harbor botulism. this garlic was about 3-4 weeks old.
the crusher was stored in a pretty airtight wooden drawer in the kitchen, but there was still air around it so idk if it met the anaerobic(airless/vacuum) conditions needed for the toxin? it was dry, i know it was a tiny amount too, but not sure if that would help.
wish i wasn't worried abt this, but my main symptoms are:

-numb or slightly tight feeling in the face, it seems a bit less expressive than usual.
-eyelids feel heavy but they don't look overly droopy?
-more uncertain/anxiety-related: possibly vertiginous? i imagined i had shortness of breath when lying down/breathing feels different, but i can still speak.
also i'm not experiencing vision problems atm but not sure whether this rules it out.

this happened about 22 hours ago. idk whether to go the hospital, it's a pain to my family when i stress abt this and i'm scared to call a doctor because they'd probably send me to hospital just to be safe despite the corona. it's dark and i might go in the morning if it's worse. idk

any advice would be appreciated! does it sound dodgy, or have i overreacted? many thanks!
p.s. i'm 19 but i don't think the mentioned toxin discriminates )-:

mocata
06-09-20, 21:00
wondering should i call nhs 111 despite none of us in the house favoring this option )-:

venusbluejeans
07-09-20, 01:24
have i overreacted?

Yes you have, all of your symptoms can be and most probably are down to anxiety about it