PDA

View Full Version : Folks, I need a second opinion on my math. The pharmacy is pulling my leg I think.

WiredIncorrectly
07-09-20, 00:05
My pharmacy gives me 2 bottles of liquid promzine. Each bottle is 150ml. I have 2 bottles so that's 300ml. It's starting to look like one of those questions from a school maths book isn't it :roflmao:

Every day I am meant to take one 5ml spoonful at 8am, 12 noon, 4pm and TWO at bedtime. That's exactly what the sticker says.

So that means I should be taking 25ml a day.

This means it will last me 300/25 days. Which is 12 days.

But when I call the pharmacy to tell them I've ran out they keep telling me "You need to speak to your doctor you must be using too much". I've only just worked out the math because I've ran out and I'm not due more until 2 weeks. Something is off here.

I could be off here, which is why I want a second opinion on my math.

venusbluejeans
07-09-20, 01:22
Ring and ask to speak to your GP about it... I guess it is the only way you will know for certain

WiredIncorrectly
07-09-20, 02:15
Ring and ask to speak to your GP about it... I guess it is the only way you will know for certain

This happens every month. I always have to go via my GP who simply responds with "sending it over now" (to the pharmacy). I ask why the pharmacy won't do it and he said they've got the repeat script so he has no idea.

pulisa
07-09-20, 08:10
Is your GP just prescribing 12 days worth of meds because you are in charge of taking your own meds now? I suppose the usual script is for a month's worth at a time and the pharmacy are querying your request for more even though you are taking the prescribed dose?

My pharmacy always say you have to go back to the GP for any meds instructions/amendments. And I always have a problem with getting the correct dosage for my son of a particular med..It's so frustrating and time consuming.

Hope you get things sorted, Wired.

Pamplemousse
07-09-20, 13:23
I could be off here, which is why I want a second opinion on my math.

Nothing wrong with your maths, that's what I make it too.

whispershadow
07-09-20, 14:11
idk about your maths tbh, i got lost after the first part :blush:

(can i blame maths dyslexia)

Pamplemousse
07-09-20, 19:31
(can i blame maths dyslexia)

That's called dyscalculia.

pulisa
07-09-20, 19:52
That's called dyscalculia.

Not when I went to school...

Pamplemousse
07-09-20, 23:40
Not when I went to school...

I can think of a lot of things from my schooldays in the 70s that it'd have been called... and none of it would have been complementary, or helpful.

MyNameIsTerry
07-09-20, 23:42
Hang on, I think the train reached Crewe 2 minutes before the coach got too...:whistles:

Nothing wrong with your maths. But the pharmacy only dispense what the GP has scripted so he/she needs to lengthen that to a bigger supply. Either that or the pharmacy shouldn't be questioning anything if the repeat is issued for every 12 days.

It's not a big dose. Its 5mg per 1ml so 150mg per day assuming you are not on the double strength 10mg per 1ml. The latter would be above the BNF guidelines in one dose at your dosage intervals but far below the max per day.

WiredIncorrectly
08-09-20, 01:26
Called GP today, but only got to speak to prescriptions. She said "GP has only put you down for 300ml". I questioned how, and why the bottle says to take 25ml. She prescribed more. I asked if I should change my dose she said no. Swings and bloody roundabouts.

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-20, 01:50
If they want to do it that way, perhaps because they worry about overdoses, then they need to get their repeats over to the pharmacy on time and tell them it's fine.

Ever since this virus hit we've had some problems like this, the lack of communication between GP to pharmacy. Prodding them all to sort out their own issues is hardly what any of us need on here.

WiredIncorrectly
08-09-20, 09:25
I agree there is definitely a lack of communication with GP at the moment. It just sucks that every month I end up in this situation where I'm without promazine for a couple of days. Even if I plan in advanced and call them to let them know it's the same situation. It then takes pharmacy, GP and prescriptions nurse to communicate together to release the bloody script. I've been 2 days without them now. They should be available today. Withdrawal is not nice. It creeps on you and by day 2 it's quite bad. My anxiety now is really high in general. I haven't slept. Constant toilet use for number 2. Burns to pee. Going hot and cold (no fever). Happens every single time I run out. It's not a very nice drug to stop abruptly. But we soldier on as we do and crack through it. Worse things happen at sea.

WiredIncorrectly
08-09-20, 14:54
Finally got my meds. Within an hour of taking it most of the symptoms gone. I ended up vomiting for 10 minutes, got an hour or so sleep before the wife woke me up to say she'd popped into the pharmacy for me. I'll crash and burn shortly.