PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety and medication

Inanna
07-09-20, 10:12
Hi all

I have suffered with Health Anxiety for a fair few years now, sometimes it goes into remission for a little while, but it always comes back. I also have OCD.

I'd like to hear other peoples experience of taking medication to control their HA. I was predcribed Sertraline, but so far have been too scared to take it, as I have heard anectodally that anxiety gets worse in the first few weeks, before it gets better, and I think that might push me over the edge.

What other meds have people used, and with what success? Do the side effects trigger even worse HA?

I really want to break out from the hell that HA keeps you locked into, so any words of advice will the so very gratefully recieved, ,thank you

Inanna xx

Fishmanpa
07-09-20, 12:08
Check out THIS (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/medication) and THIS (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?7-Medication)...

Positive thoughts

Lady Penelope
07-09-20, 14:19
Hello
i suffer with general anxiety and health anxiety. I am four weeks into taking Sertraline- started on25 mg and worked my way Upto 50mg. I had the prescription since February but only started last month as I was too scared to take it. I was not getting any better though so thought I may as well give it a try. Because I started on a low dose and worked my way up on the advice of a forum member - panic_down_under - this has minimised the side effects. I have had increased anxiety, nausea and headaches.

I had similar problems a few years ago and found I was really helped with CBT and Fluoxetine. I was good off the medication for about a year but then relapsed. I know the medication worked for me before so am I hoping it will again.

I was getting so desperate so that’s why I decided to take the Sertraline.
Wish you the best of luck with it

Lady Penelope
07-09-20, 14:23
I would also say that I have used 1mg diazepam about 5 times over the last four weeks to help me cope. I know GP ‘S are very reluctant to prescribe them these days but if you can get some they can really help get you through the first few weeks of side effects.

pulisa
07-09-20, 19:38
I would certainly agree with the additional diazepam if you decide to try ADs, Inanna. Also the gradual introduction ie halving what your GP prescribes at first and gradually working towards a "therapeutic" dose. Sometimes less is more with SSRIs and a lower dose can be helpful without being too activating in terms of increasing anxiety. Personal response is far more significant than going by the book dosage.

Having said all this, I still think being able to modify how you respond to your perceived symptoms is the key to getting a handle on HA but maybe meds can help you believe this if you feel stuck and unable to process advice?

Inanna
07-09-20, 22:16
Hi all,

thank you for your replies, it has been really useful.

i am ashamed to say that part of me thinks I have a deadly disease and the anti anxiety meds will help me accept it, and face what’s coming. But a small part wants to believe that I don’t and could possibly overcome HA

Inanna xx

pav1984
07-09-20, 22:17
I am on sertraline and apart from feeling sick for a couple of days I cant thinking any other negative symptoms that have bothered me. Took me around a month to kick in and dont be surprised if you need a stronger dose. I dont find them additive or anything like that. If your doctor has given them to you then give them a go. You will still be yourself.

Inanna
08-09-20, 08:30
Hi pav

Thanks for your reply. I might try them. Trouble is anxiety sort of cripples me, if that makes sense, and I end up doing nothing :-(

Inanna xx

pav1984
08-09-20, 10:02
It does make sense. To get better you have to grit your teeth and force yourself to help yourself. The meds are like a crutch. They take the load off a little so that you can work on your anxiety. I find they are not a cure, but a tool to work alongside counselling, cbt etc. Be sure to listen to your doctor and report any worries