PDA

View Full Version : To have sedation or not?

cry
07-09-20, 15:35
Hi everyone!

I’ve got an gastroscopy booked in October, and I’m wondering whether I should opt for the sedation or not.

If you’ve had the procedure, did you get the sedation? I’m in the uk so understand we have the option. On one hand I want to be in and out as quickly as I can, but on the other I know I’ll be feeling extremely anxious when waiting for it to be done and probably during it too.

I’ve also read on here that people called up to ask to be seen first so they didn’t have to wait. Has anyone done that recently?

Fishmanpa
07-09-20, 17:30
I’ve got an gastroscopy booked in October, and I’m wondering whether I should opt for the sedation or not.

Any test I ever had where sedation was offered, I didn't refuse. Why turn down a good buzz? :winks:

True story... When I had my stents put in, I was sedated pretty heavily. I recall little bits of being in recovery but I don't recall repeatedly grabbing my wife's butt and saying "My tushie" :roflmao:Apparently I let the doctors and nurses know it too!

Positive thoughts

NoraB
08-09-20, 17:44
I had sedation with my colonoscopy..

I literally didn't know they'd been in!

I may have nodded off too.. :sleep:

I highly recommend sedation.:yesyes:

Scass
08-09-20, 19:55
I didn’t have sedation with my endoscopy. It was ok, not very pleasant but the whole thing was over quickly because of it. The spray at the back of my throat was the worst, but I believe you get that just before sedation too. Just to warn you, it numbs you and you’ll feel like you can’t swallow. You can, you just need to take a few deep breaths and let them look after you.

My appt was at 2pm. I didn’t realise that that was the beginning of the afternoon session. I got there just after 2 and was last on the list, I didn’t get out until nearly 6pm.

Good luck! You’ll be fine with whichever option you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cry
11-09-20, 09:23
Thanks everyone - I gave them a call to find out more and turns out this is just the first appointment to discuss my symptoms not to have the procedure. My doctor suggested it would be the procedure which is why I thought that. So hopefully will have the procedure in a few months!

molly15
16-10-20, 12:44
How did it go ? Have you had endoscopy yet?

cry
29-12-20, 20:34
Sorry Molly I’ve only just seen this - the appointment went well and it wasn’t the procedure like I thought. I’m pregnant so they didn’t want to do anything invasive until I’ve had the baby but did say the acid could get worse during pregnancy but I don’t think it has so far 🤞🏻