PDA

View Full Version : Son's first day back and comes back ill.

WiredIncorrectly
08-09-20, 01:31
My son started school today. Year 8. He left fit and well. He comes back with flu symptoms. I asked him who had the flu at school he said "my teacher has the flu but she said it's not coronavirus because she hasn't got a temperature".

He's now in bed at 1.30am unable to sleep with a temperature feeling very uncomfortable and coughing. I can hear by his voice he is ill. I hope it is just the flu but during a time like this teachers shouldn't be going to school with the god damn flu! I've got a good mind to call the headteacher but my son said the teacher is his favorite and he doesn't want her to get in trouble.

It happens I guess. School down the road from me got closed today though in Wolverhampton.

He's off school until his shifts. Never known a flu to work so fast. I always seem to be the one with these crazy things happening :roflmao: half the time I think people assume I'm making it up.

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-20, 04:52
Schools are germ factories. My mum worked part time many years bringing up the family and her career before had been nursery age kids so she took jobs in primary on the yards. She brought home many a cold and said teachers were often off with them.

Reminds me of a line in Last of the Summer Wine when ex head teacher Seymour was talking about an epidemic at his boys school and remarked "there's nothing as septic as a schoolboy" :biggrin:

Hopefully it's just a cold and gone soon, James. Since its the first day back you could call the national newspapers who would be falling over themselves for a possible new wave of plague type story and make yourself some money! :yesyes:

AntsyVee
08-09-20, 08:19
They are germ factories. Old veteran teachers like myself laugh at the new ones who start and catch everything because they haven’t built up immunity yet (pre-Covid, obviously) :roflmao:

NoraB
08-09-20, 10:20
Reminds me of a line in Last of the Summer Wine when ex head teacher Seymour was talking about an epidemic at his boys school and remarked "there's nothing as septic as a schoolboy" :biggrin:

Someone mention Last of the Summer Wine? :yesyes:

I can add to your comment, Terry...

There is also nothing as septic as a schoolboy's bedroom...:scared15:

Lencoboy
08-09-20, 13:27
My son started school today. Year 8. He left fit and well. He comes back with flu symptoms. I asked him who had the flu at school he said "my teacher has the flu but she said it's not coronavirus because she hasn't got a temperature".

He's now in bed at 1.30am unable to sleep with a temperature feeling very uncomfortable and coughing. I can hear by his voice he is ill. I hope it is just the flu but during a time like this teachers shouldn't be going to school with the god damn flu! I've got a good mind to call the headteacher but my son said the teacher is his favorite and he doesn't want her to get in trouble.

It happens I guess. School down the road from me got closed today though in Wolverhampton.

He's off school until his shifts. Never known a flu to work so fast. I always seem to be the one with these crazy things happening :roflmao: half the time I think people assume I'm making it up.

Whilst I have every sympathy in the world for your son, yourself and the rest of your family, it's doubtful as to whether he would simply develop Corona overnight, as the absolute minimum period of infection to develop is currently specified as 2 days.

And IMO it was blatantly irresponsible of the teacher concerned to turn up there in such a state. People in such a profession should ultimately know better.

BTW, I have a bit of a cold myself ATM, and it could be something that is quite typical of this time of year that we didn't bat an eyelid over before, but inevitably from now on people will be attempting to shoehorn CV into the slightest ailments they may have.

WiredIncorrectly
08-09-20, 14:50
Thankfully it does appear to be a flu. I kept him off today as he wasn't feeling well. @Antsy my brother was a school teacher and said practically the same thing. He hadn't built up his immune system as he left for another career within a year. @Terry that is my favorite show, even today. I seem to have a decent immune system. I don't catch the stuff the lad brings home.

Scass
08-09-20, 19:58
My daughter has a cold too. Isn’t it funny how no-one has caught a cold in months yet back to school and they’ve all got one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lencoboy
08-09-20, 20:33
My daughter has a cold too. Isn’t it funny how no-one has caught a cold in months yet back to school and they’ve all got one!

And no doubt being confused with or suspected of possible CV in some instances.

Meanwhile, today's cases have dropped to 2,460 (488 fewer than yesterday and 528 fewer than Sunday).

Today's deaths (32) is a bit of a concern though, but it is Tuesday, and the last time they were at a similar level (late July) we had fewer daily cases, so I guess a sense of perspective is needed.

venusbluejeans
08-09-20, 20:46
My son started school today. Year 8. He left fit and well. He comes back with flu symptoms.

Flu has a 2 day incubation period so it is very unlikely that he caught it off his teacher, covid is 5 days, give or take as well.

Also if school staff didn't go in when they had a cold or flu then there wouldn't be enough staff to go round :roflmao:

venusbluejeans
08-09-20, 20:47

Always happens.... because there are new people in the school then there are new germs, so everyone gets ill in the first couple of weeks ...... such fun lol

WiredIncorrectly
08-09-20, 21:15
He's now got a fever (38.4) and has a nasty cough. Where can I get him a COVID test?

WiredIncorrectly
08-09-20, 21:23
It's going back to how it was before folks. These 2 bars for past 2 days are the same as May's stats. We're not far of what it was in March/April in terms of daily cases. Something isn't right. I know people mean well and want to look on the bright side with the COVID situation, but I think that's the reason why we're now having a problem. People are ignoring it and discounting it and going about their business. All this is happening as kids go back to school, people go back to work, and the country thinks it's time to get back to normal. Honestly, this is frighting and not in a panic/anxiety way. https://i.imgur.com/PEZPmKa.png

MyNameIsTerry
09-09-20, 00:41
It's going back to how it was before folks. These 2 bars for past 2 days are the same as May's stats. We're not far of what it was in March/April in terms of daily cases. Something isn't right. I know people mean well and want to look on the bright side with the COVID situation, but I think that's the reason why we're now having a problem. People are ignoring it and discounting it and going about their business. All this is happening as kids go back to school, people go back to work, and the country thinks it's time to get back to normal. Honestly, this is frighting and not in a panic/anxiety way. https://i.imgur.com/PEZPmKa.png

Remember that whilst it looks like that on the charts it's not comparable that way because we are doing a lot more testing now. This testing is tracing people with no symptoms or barely anything whereas the method back then was just hospital cases hence the worst lot. The daily cases would have been far higher back then if they had tested properly.

But yes, I think we are seeing a problem. It has been steadily climbing since it bottomed out and now we are getting spikes. If these spikes become trend then we are going to have to change or go back to how bad it was. The government is making some changes shortly but I think it's going to be about people changing from their new complacency and stop congregating in pubs!

The rules allow for 6 people to meet (with rules about household bubbles) but also up to 30 for larger events. I walked past a large number of cars parked on a council (locked) field not long ago during a religious celebration week. There were more than 30 cars alone. Who agreed that to go ahead? :doh:

WiredIncorrectly
09-09-20, 10:05
I've got it now. This sucks. It's at the back of my throat/nose right now. Got a vix inhaler shoved up my nose to help me breath better. Kept choking in my sleep from phlegm clogging my windpipe. Not sure what it is. Just feel soooo tired and feverish. The flu moves rapidly. In 1 day it got to me so whatever incubation periods there are I and my son skipped those periods LOL! I'll let you know what it is soon, going for a test.

WiredIncorrectly
09-09-20, 10:08
The rules allow for 6 people to meet (with rules about household bubbles) but also up to 30 for larger events. I walked past a large number of cars parked on a council (locked) field not long ago during a religious celebration week. There were more than 30 cars alone. Who agreed that to go ahead? :doh: This is what I mean Terry, people are far too complacent. Christianity and Islam do no require prayer, or attendance of church/mosque. So whatever they're doing is against their beliefs because both Quran and Bible expect you to respect the law of the land.

WiredIncorrectly
09-09-20, 10:11
Terry I told you this isn't normal mate. The gathering you talk about are now banned as of 14th of September: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54081131

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-20, 05:23
Someone mention Last of the Summer Wine? :yesyes:

I can add to your comment, Terry...

There is also nothing as septic as a schoolboy's bedroom...:scared15:

Ay up, Nora! Not seen you around for a while. :flowers:

WiredIncorrectly
15-09-20, 13:29
Ay up, Nora! Not seen you around for a while. :flowers:

I keep going to reply to posts, but Nora beats me to it with the same advice :roflmao: I feel like I'm accidentally stalking her sometimes.

Pamplemousse
15-09-20, 15:03
The rules allow for 6 people to meet (with rules about household bubbles) but also up to 30 for larger events. I walked past a large number of cars parked on a council (locked) field not long ago during a religious celebration week. There were more than 30 cars alone. Who agreed that to go ahead? :doh:

Perfectly okay if you're going to go grouse shooting (or shootin' if you're the Home Secretary) under the new rules, Terry. But two families of four stoppin' to have a chat on their way to say, a park, is illegal according to Priti Patel.

Who voted for these muppets? Oh yeah...

WiredIncorrectly
15-09-20, 16:49
Perfectly okay if you're going to go grouse shooting (or shootin' if you're the Home Secretary) under the new rules, Terry. But two families of four stoppin' to have a chat on their way to say, a park, is illegal according to Priti Patel.

When I seen this on the news I stood up and said out loud "wtf". They've only go their best interests at heart.

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-20, 05:46
I keep going to reply to posts, but Nora beats me to it with the same advice :roflmao: I feel like I'm accidentally stalking her sometimes.

If you are Compo will get jealous! :biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-20, 05:48
Terry I told you this isn't normal mate. The gathering you talk about are now banned as of 14th of September: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54081131

I think the gathering I saw was in excess of the allowed 30 anyway. It's a big cricket pitch kept locked by the council. There were rows of cars on there from the angle I saw between houses on the bank I was on.

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-20, 05:54

Because they are operating a social distancing policy. You can't do that with rugby unless you want a very boring and predictable game :winks:

In other news, pubs remain open. You can't distance in pubs, certainly not the city centre ones that are busy. And drunk people tend not to consider risks the same otherwise we wouldn't have things like drink driving laws.

But I'm anti hunting anyway so I would prefer a 24/7 365 permanent forever closure policy. May sticking fox hunting back on her 2017 manifesto made me despair.

The families issue is confusing because when they announced this there was provision for larger families (i remember thinking what use is it when the bubbles are causing issues around her according to our council). Anyone with 5 kids would be buggered :biggrin: Since it doesn't affect me (none of the changes do) I didn't read further but there is a petition taking off to not count children as Scotland do this.

WiredIncorrectly
16-09-20, 19:52
Killing animals for fun is so messed up. I've never understood it. Why the heck would you take a soul with emotions and feelings and blast them out of the sky for fun. What's wrong with clay pidgins, or targets? I don't mind the shooting part, it's is fun, but in the UK you do that on a range where you're not killing anything.

I was in Sailsbury once with my father in law and all these horses and dogs were passing the house going up the country lane. So many they were uncountable. Apparently they were going fox hunting. The poor foxes wouldn't stand a chance.

And here's me saving tiny spiders from the bath and putting them into the attic for safety. I just helped a dragon fly who got caught on the light. Daft sod went straight back up there as soon as I helped him off. We don't kill any insect or bug in this house. It's taken me a while to stop the wife from killing the bees and wasps, but she's accepted they have their place in the world so she leaves them alone. I've always left them alone to do their thing and never once been stung.

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-20, 22:27
Same here, James. Although I can think of a few people I would like to put on the launcher and shout "pull". :winks:

I try to get most things out of the house. spiders are good for keeping the rest in check other than my current kitchen one that actually ran away from the moth that barelled into his web after I was chasing him around the kitchen. To be fair, it was a big moth and he's only a tiny spider https://yoursmiles.org/msmile/animal/m0207.gif

I still 'dispose' of wasps though https://yoursmiles.org/msmile/animal/m0222.gifDon't tell Carys!!! :sofa:

fishman65
16-09-20, 23:37
Killing animals for fun is so messed up. I've never understood it. Why the heck would you take a soul with emotions and feelings and blast them out of the sky for fun. What's wrong with clay pidgins, or targets? I don't mind the shooting part, it's is fun, but in the UK you do that on a range where you're not killing anything.

I was in Sailsbury once with my father in law and all these horses and dogs were passing the house going up the country lane. So many they were uncountable. Apparently they were going fox hunting. The poor foxes wouldn't stand a chance.

And here's me saving tiny spiders from the bath and putting them into the attic for safety. I just helped a dragon fly who got caught on the light. Daft sod went straight back up there as soon as I helped him off. We don't kill any insect or bug in this house. It's taken me a while to stop the wife from killing the bees and wasps, but she's accepted they have their place in the world so she leaves them alone. I've always left them alone to do their thing and never once been stung.You're a star James and have a good heart. I'm always removing spiders, moths and other invertebrates from my daughter's bedroom on account of her being petrified of them. I have an insect/spider 'kit' made up of a plastic jug and a sturdy leaflet. They are captured humanely and relocated to the garden.

MyNameIsTerry
17-09-20, 05:16
You're a star James and have a good heart. I'm always removing spiders, moths and other invertebrates from my daughter's bedroom on account of her being petrified of them. I have an insect/spider 'kit' made up of a plastic jug and a sturdy leaflet. They are captured humanely and relocated to the garden.

Well that's one term for any males you don't like the look of :winks:

I love the old daddy long legs. The insect worlds most friendly creature.

fishman65
17-09-20, 20:40
LOL Terry!! That's a father's perspective you've got there. Talk of the devil though, I was busy reading a good novel last night when the bedroom door was cloven asunder by said daughter. She was sobbing and I honestly thought she'd heard some really bad news. But it was a spider on her curtains, a big one at that, house spider. So out came the jug and relocated to the garden.

She's inherited the arachnophobia from my Mum. Yep daddy longlegs aka the cranefly, a favourite of spiders, birds and bats everywhere.

WiredIncorrectly
17-09-20, 20:52
LOL Terry!! That's a father's perspective you've got there. Talk of the devil though, I was busy reading a good novel last night when the bedroom door was cloven asunder by said daughter. She was sobbing and I honestly thought she'd heard some really bad news. But it was a spider on her curtains, a big one at that, house spider. So out came the jug and relocated to the garden.

She's inherited the arachnophobia from my Mum. Yep daddy longlegs aka the cranefly, a favourite of spiders, birds and bats everywhere.

I cured my sons phobia by buying a tarantula. I had a few nasty spiders, some that would launch for you disturbed them and if you got tagged you'd be in for some pain. Ever seen a spider move so fast it looks like it's teleporting? It's funny, but they're frighting quick. If you want to see the spider I had put this into youtube "OBT Rehousing". Youtube will deliver you the goods.

Once he saw how fascinating they were, and how nasty some species can be, his fear for regular spiders went away. They're just tiny babies in comparison.