PDA

View Full Version : COVID?

WiredIncorrectly
09-09-20, 16:24
I've caught this off my son. And just like him one day I was fine, next day I woke up ill. I can experience what he is now. Started with a sandpaper feeling at back of throat. Nothing major or painful. But now I've got a cough that hurts my lungs. It's painful when I do cough like my lungs are burning. This has all happened today. Last night I was feeling fine. I've got a bunged up nose and phlegm. Feeling generally unwell. Hoping just a flu. He caught it Monday from his teacher and became ill rapidly.He's still off school but seems better today so he says. He's got a persistent cough though. Is this just the flu?

Lencoboy
09-09-20, 16:54
I've caught this off my son. And just like him one day I was fine, next day I woke up ill. I can experience what he is now. Started with a sandpaper feeling at back of throat. Nothing major or painful. But now I've got a cough that hurts my lungs. It's painful when I do cough like my lungs are burning. This has all happened today. Last night I was feeling fine. I've got a bunged up nose and phlegm. Feeling generally unwell. Hoping just a flu. He caught it Monday from his teacher and became ill rapidly.He's still off school but seems better today so he says. He's got a persistent cough though. Is this just the flu?

Probably best to just wait and see over the next couple of days.

I reckon it might be just a cold/mild flu, as I have felt a bit off since the weekend with being a bit snotty, sinusy and lethargic, and I haven't as yet got any of the 3 key CV symptoms. I already have a habit of checking 2-3 times per day anyway.

My dad has felt similar, and we haven't mixed with anyone outside of our household for the past week or 2, and we have followed all the procedures when in supermarkets, etc, including the wearing of masks, social distancing and sanitising all of the shopping once home.

WiredIncorrectly
09-09-20, 17:14
At the moment I have a feeling of general unwellness. Feeling sleepy. It's a little more painful to swallow now and there's something with my ears feeling a bit sore. Hopefully this is all pointing to not COVID. Just a bit concerned about the coughing so quickly. Me and the boy have been doing vicks cream in boiling hot water and breathing it in. It helps. I don't think I'm a high risk case either way. What is concerning is my partner isn't self isolating on the off chance and she has to visit old people. Her friend roped her into cleaning her parents homes (both live separate). But her friend is more concerned about whether she can still clean than she is about her parents getting ill via my partner carrying it. This is exactly why the COVID problem is happening. Careless people in general imho.

Gary A
09-09-20, 17:24
Is it possible for you and your son to be tested? That would be the best way to see if it’s Covid-19 or not, and if it then every member of your household should self isolate.

Your symptoms could easily be flu or even just a cold. I had to take a test on Sunday because I developed quite a high fever and have head cold symptoms, which are slowly turning into a cough. My test came back negative for Covid, as the vast majority do, even when symptoms are present.

It’s not something I’d leave to chance, though.

WiredIncorrectly
09-09-20, 17:31
How do I go about getting a test Gary? I found a Government website but it said you needed a smart phone to track your appointment or something. And I'm not even sure where we have to go for a test. Do the doctors do them?

Pamplemousse
09-09-20, 17:35
If it's any consolation, a friend on another forum has developed exactly the same symptoms as you but it appears to be just a pig of a cold. It might be worth looking on your local newspaper's website to see if it gives details of testing centres in your locality.

See also https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612

Gary A
09-09-20, 17:47
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/get-a-test-to-check-if-you-have-coronavirus/

WiredIncorrectly
09-09-20, 18:04
Thanks folks. I'm not worried but I'd rather my partner didn't go around other people if there's any chance or suspicion. Will try get a test done for tomorrow if it's possible. Coffee is amazing at making throat feel better; unlike tea which seems to make it worse. I'll take the coffee anxiety over the soreness and coughing ha ha. Back of my nose is terribly sore. I just found out my partners friend's Dad has been taken into hospital today and she was around him yesterday. Trust me to be the one in this situation. I'll feel so effing bad if anything happens to him.

Lencoboy
09-09-20, 20:07
I'm pretty sure a normal cold bug is currently co-existing alongside CV, as my brother and his 3 kids have currently got it, let alone myself and my parents.

And my brother actually had CV back in the early spring during the initial spike and fortunately survived.

Pamplemousse
09-09-20, 20:28
Agreed. On another forum one member described himself as having a headache, aching joints, slightly feverish, nose blocked solid but somehow still runny, a bad cough and some epic sneezing. This was just a few days ago but he's over the worst of it now, he thinks.

So hopefully, all you have is...

https://youtu.be/rd2DwDn4mws

WiredIncorrectly
09-09-20, 20:39
Agreed. On another forum one member described himself as having a headache, aching joints, slightly feverish, nose blocked solid but somehow still runny, a bad cough and some epic sneezing. This was just a few days ago but he's over the worst of it now, he thinks. No headache. No aching joints. No sinus issues. Just a slight sore throat. My biggest issue is phlegm on my chest and in my nose. It's not runny, it's thick mucus and comes out when blown. When I cough I can taste the mucus. Last night in my sleep I remember dreaming lots of times I couldn't breath. I was trying so hard to breath but couldn't then a "pop" feeling would happen and I could breath. This usually means post nasal drip, mucus around the windpipe. The cough is painful. Could just be a chest infection as symptoms are about same. It is that time of year for them. If I feel better tomorrow obviously nothing sinister, my son seems to be recovering quickly.

dorabella
09-09-20, 20:52
The sore throat sound like a common cold virus - just the kind of thing that is normally circulating at this time of year - and always coincides with the return of kids to school or students to university campuses. If you suddenly lose your sense of taste and smell (without a bunged up nose from the cold) then you might want to get tested. This happened to me back in early February - and I hadn't gone down with the run of the mill viruses for over 5 years - totally new virus and lost sense for nearly a week. They weren't testing for CV then unfortunately ...You might want to check on the Express and Star online - I noticed they had a list of local testing centres in the Midlands and I think there was a number to call - either 191 or 119 to check.

WiredIncorrectly
09-09-20, 21:10
I am losing my sense of taste and smell. I can't taste the monster energy drink I'm sipping. I couldn't taste the soup. Sense of smell is defo different too. The kicker is the coughing fit I just had. I was curled up clutching my chest. It felt like lave was in my lungs and it was so painful to breath during that. The sore throat isn't significant compared to the cough. Sore throat is on the 2 pain scale, the burning feeling just was a 10/10. I don't know if it's advisable to go to the hospital to get a test. My breathing is fine. My chest area is very hot.

WiredIncorrectly
09-09-20, 23:07
Wow, read this https://www.webmd.com/lung/covid-19-symptoms ... it says sore throat, mucus, dry cough, nausea and vomiting (yesterday), diarrhea (all day yesterday). Not looking good.

WiredIncorrectly
10-09-20, 01:16
Temperature is now at fever levels. 38.2. I'm sat next to a boiling hot radiator shivering cold. I got up to do a lemsip and went freezing cold all over. My hands went white I was that cold. This is so unpleasant folks. My cat is even lying close to me and he generally avoids me. Keeps coming to touch his nose on mine. Cats are awesome little things. I've had more of those unpleasant coughing episodes. My partner said I should go to A&E because she thought I was dying when I was clutching my chest. It's not heart pain ha ha, just so painful to cough that I run to the bathroom to drink freezing cold water as if it's going to cool it down. Sorry for my rambling, this is pretty nasty whatever it may be.

glassgirlw
10-09-20, 03:14
That sounds awful, Wired. Sorry you’re feeling so poorly! The problem with Covid is that there are just so many symptoms, and each of the symptoms could also be related to another virus entirely. Really the only way to know for sure is to get tested. I will say, with how rapidly this seems to have progressed, it seems more flu than Covid. But better safe than sorry, and get tested IMO.

WiredIncorrectly
10-09-20, 03:50
That sounds awful, Wired. Sorry you’re feeling so poorly! The problem with Covid is that there are just so many symptoms, and each of the symptoms could also be related to another virus entirely. Really the only way to know for sure is to get tested. I will say, with how rapidly this seems to have progressed, it seems more flu than Covid. But better safe than sorry, and get tested IMO.

Still awake, can't sleep. Cough doesn't feel as painful I've been huffing eucalyptus oil and since doing that I'm coughing up a lot of mucus. I know it's possible to have fast flu's like this because it's happened in 2018, and it quickly left too. He went in Friday for 2 hours (I didn't know was asleep and I thought he just went out with mom, I'm on vampire hours atm) so it's possible he could have picked something up and it festered over the weekend but I'd usually expect some pre flu symptoms before it hits.

I've got a feeling many people will get viruses like this over the winter and it's going to be a worrying time for many.

Thanks all for allowing me to vent my concerns and being understanding.

Gary A
10-09-20, 07:45
You really should be booking a test.

WiredIncorrectly
10-09-20, 15:28
I called my doctor who said they don't do tests and told me to call 111. I called 111 and they told me to call 119. I called 119 who told me to go online. I went online which said I needed a smart phone.

How are all these tests happening if it's so damned hard to get a test in the first place?

I'm better today but the itchy throat/lungs is annoying. Definitely feeling heaps better.

Lencoboy
10-09-20, 16:02
I called my doctor who said they don't do tests and told me to call 111. I called 111 and they told me to call 119. I called 119 who told me to go online. I went online which said I needed a smart phone.

How are all these tests happening if it's so damned hard to get a test in the first place?

I'm better today but the itchy throat/lungs is annoying. Definitely feeling heaps better.

That's good to hear. (re your latter paragraph).

Wishing you and your family speedy recoveries.

For the record, I'm feeling a bit better myself today.

Pamplemousse
10-09-20, 16:55

Glad to hear that!

Your experience reminded me in a way of the last driver awareness course I got sent on - I took the basic requirement for identity but someone running the course said it wasn't enough. I was threatened with being reported to the police and ejection from the course unless I complied by some other officious ******* and told I would be expected to pay the fine and take the points.

I then took out the letter I received and pointed out to them that I had met the requirements as set out by the letter and that in turn, I would be raising a complaint with their management.

Suddenly, things settled.

I know plenty of people who don't have smartphones - I can think of three of my mates right now!

WiredIncorrectly
10-09-20, 18:23
Glad to hear that!

Your experience reminded me in a way of the last driver awareness course I got sent on - I took the basic requirement for identity but someone running the course said it wasn't enough. I was threatened with being reported to the police and ejection from the course unless I complied by some other officious ******* and told I would be expected to pay the fine and take the points.

I then took out the letter I received and pointed out to them that I had met the requirements as set out by the letter and that in turn, I would be raising a complaint with their management.

I know plenty of people who don't have smartphones - I can think of three of my mates right now!

With the recent news about Google voice recording conversations that's one of the reasons I don't own "smart" devices. I find a regular old nokia lasts far longer on battery.

Cases in Dudley and Black Country are making the news again. I'm stuck in the bloody heart of it.

Lencoboy
10-09-20, 18:25
Glad to hear that!

Clueless individuals like those running the driver awareness course you attended, and some of those who work in the service economy really do my nut in. Seems some organisations just accept any old blame-gaming chancers of employees willy-nilly, regardless of qualifications or even general attitude.

BTW, sorry for hijacking your thread WIC.

WiredIncorrectly
10-09-20, 18:26
BTW, sorry for hijacking your thread WIC.

It's ok, I could with a change of conversation lol.

Pamplemousse
10-09-20, 18:51
With the recent news about Google voice recording conversations that's one of the reasons I don't own "smart" devices. I find a regular old nokia lasts far longer on battery.

Cases in Dudley and Black Country are making the news again. I'm stuck in the bloody heart of it.

Well, please make sure you and yours keep safe. How's the little one anyway?

Yes, I remember how you could go for weeks before charging the battery on a Nokia - mate of mine where I used to work had a smart phone that'd barely last a morning before needing to be put on charge and that was with a new battery!!

WiredIncorrectly
10-09-20, 20:38
Well, please make sure you and yours keep safe. How's the little one anyway?

Yes, I remember how you could go for weeks before charging the battery on a Nokia - mate of mine where I used to work had a smart phone that'd barely last a morning before needing to be put on charge and that was with a new battery!!

The lad is doing well thanks for asking. He's eating normally, running about, playing the DS and managed to tidy his room. He wants to go back but think I'm going to send him back Monday as he's coughing a lot still.

Yeah that's like my nokia. If nobody calls it will last a very long time. I loved the original Motorola Razer, and now I see they've came out with a smart phone version. Still prefer the original. I wonder how much they are on ebay.

https://image-cdn.hypb.st/https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F11%2F motorola-razr-flip-phone-first-look-0.jpg?464=&cbr=1&q=90

WiredIncorrectly
10-09-20, 20:40
Found loads on ebay. This one looks nice. I just might get it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CONDITION-Motorola-RAZR2-V8-Gold-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone-WARRANTY/274452024324?epid=103110989&hash=item3fe69d8c04:g:brYAAOSwA8VfLTsN

Scass
10-09-20, 20:40
Can you book a test on nhs direct?
I’m glad your son is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lencoboy
10-09-20, 21:35
Found loads on ebay. This one looks nice. I just might get it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CONDITION-Motorola-RAZR2-V8-Gold-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone-WARRANTY/274452024324?epid=103110989&hash=item3fe69d8c04:g:brYAAOSwA8VfLTsN

At least that's something nice to focus on during this difficult time.

Retro tech is a massive thing these days.

Pamplemousse
10-09-20, 22:27
Found loads on ebay. This one looks nice. I just might get it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CONDI...YAAOSwA8VfLTsN (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CONDITION-Motorola-RAZR2-V8-Gold-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone-WARRANTY/274452024324?epid=103110989&hash=item3fe69d8c04:g:brYAAOSwA8VfLTsN)

Go for it - you know it makes sense. My wife loved the predictive text on Motorola phones and convinced me to get a secondhand Razr V3, but I thought the battery life terrible - "what good's a phone you have to charge every day?!" I cried.

Little did I know what was coming much later.... :roflmao:

WiredIncorrectly
12-09-20, 02:02
I don't know if I feel better or not physically. I mean, I am feeling better than Tuesday. I've got the mucus coughing still which is getting better somewhat. Burning feeling still there and its quite difficult to breath when the cough causes that. Nose still a bit sniffly/bunged. Bit of a sore throat on odd occasions today and burning eyes.

I'm a bit concerned about the shortness of breath. I just carried the vacume upstairs and felt breathless. That's unlike me, I can lift reasonably heavy weight and exercise regular. I don't think I could deteriorate that quickly since my lifting session last week.

Also my right calf and right arm feel sensitive. You know when you have a fever and your skin is sore. It's like that. But only on my right arm and right calf. Strange. I've been sitting cross legged a lot; it's comfortable and I rock myself a lot.

No idea if anything is related but just noting it down.

I'm not on deaths door don't worry lmao. At least not yet :roflmao:

WiredIncorrectly
12-09-20, 02:20
As for my son, he's about the same as me. He developed a headache, but not sure if that's because I asked him to do some math work.

Can you imagine if this COVID situation continues to keep disrupting schools. The next generation of Government will be a very peculiar one?

AntsyVee
12-09-20, 04:02
LOL Math is the cure to covid ;)

MyNameIsTerry
12-09-20, 05:46
That's one way to eradicate Covid. A government unable to spell it. Maybe we are already there? :biggrin:

WiredIncorrectly
12-09-20, 05:49
That's one way to eradicate Covid. A government unable to spell it. Maybe we are already there? :biggrin:

:roflmao:

WiredIncorrectly
12-09-20, 05:52
LOL Math is the cure to covid ;)

Agreed. I dont think this Government can count beyond their fingers.

MyNameIsTerry
12-09-20, 06:31
Agreed. I dont think this Government can count beyond their fingers.

And most of the time they are only using one to communicate with us :finger:

AntsyVee
12-09-20, 19:12
LMAO :roflmao:

WiredIncorrectly
12-09-20, 20:04
And most of the time they are only using one to communicate with us :finger:

:roflmao: You're always witty on the replies. My brother has this skill too. You give me a chuckle you do Terry.

pulisa
12-09-20, 20:33
Terry is very digitally aware....

WiredIncorrectly
13-09-20, 15:57
Today I don't feel too good. Nose is bunged up, but sore throat is back, and the coughing is still there. No worse or no better. Feeling about 70% ... had it a week now seems to be still there.

AntsyVee
13-09-20, 17:44
Are you getting some rest? Lots of fluids? I think you need to get back in bed, mister :lac:

WiredIncorrectly
13-09-20, 18:29
Are you getting some rest? Lots of fluids? I think you need to get back in bed, mister :lac:

I'm fed up of resting. That's all I've been doing. I was meant to go out for walk today to collect sticks for my fence but can't be bothered lol. My mouth feels like a desert all the time have to keep sipping water and my anxiety is doing my head in. Some of the ill feeling is probably because had no diazepam still. 3 days without now.

I'm sniffing vapour drops and can not smell its strength. Just a faint smell of mint. Right now my nose isn't blocked so this is worrying me a bit. I can't even smell anything in an astray, I tried. Now I'm in OCD mode smelling everything and freaking myself out that I can't smell.

Meanwhile, the road I am on was heaving with people yesterday, and today people are out playing and mixing. Scary stuff.

WiredIncorrectly
14-09-20, 17:20
Heaps better today. Feel 90%. Cleaning took it out of me a little while I was doing it, but the weather today is super hot. I got OCD on the cleaning as I've been out of action for a week. I've got my diazepam from pharmacy and since taking them things feel "normal" again :roflmao:

Scass
14-09-20, 20:09
Glad you’re feeling better [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WiredIncorrectly
15-09-20, 09:17
I'm not better folks. I'm today 100x worse. I can't understand this one bit. Coughing my lungs up, sore throat again! bunged up nose and it's now feeling like the start of a pissing illness not the end of one!

My symptoms are back with vengeance. I can't deal with this man its f**ked up. I've now developed a headache too that feels like I've got a watermelon in my head. Took pain meds, not touched it.

I am now freaking out because this isn't normal and I'm scared. I can't even get a COVID test. I can't get a doctors appointment because I've been told to self isolate. What am I meant to do? Seriously,

BlueIris
15-09-20, 09:20
Call 111 and request further advice.

Please keep us posted?

WiredIncorrectly
15-09-20, 09:35
Call 111 and request further advice.

Please keep us posted?

I've done that. I was even coughing on the phone to them and they said to book a test, in the meantime relax. I've got to call back if my breathing becomes difficult but thankfully my breathing is ok. I just took 2 ibopruphens (spelling?) and the headache feels manageable.

It sucks Blue everything has gone back to normal which means all my clients are on my case and I just want to rest up in bed not wake up to a dozen emails asking "have you done x,y,z?"

What is daft is I said "How can I book a test when a) there is non around this area for walk in b) there are a shortage of tests". The response "You have to keep trying on the site". They're on a script. My partners friend's daughter works for them.

BlueIris
15-09-20, 09:39
Crap, James, I'm so sorry. The only upside is that if ibuprofen's helping your headache it's not likely to be anything that bad.

Let your clients know you'll get to them when you can. Your health comes first.

WiredIncorrectly
15-09-20, 09:42
Crap, James, I'm so sorry. The only upside is that if ibuprofen's helping your headache it's not likely to be anything that bad.

Let your clients know you'll get to them when you can. Your health comes first.

Thank you. It's still subsiding, but at least my anxiety can go away now. My mother lives miles away and is worried so she's sent me iburophen in the post for next day delivery :roflmao:

BlueIris
15-09-20, 09:44
Aw, that's so lovely!

My boss has turned into Napoleon because it's the busiest month of the academic year, but then I got into work today and my friend from another department came in with toffee waffles for me. It's the little things that make it better.

WiredIncorrectly
15-09-20, 09:58
Aw, that's so lovely!

My boss has turned into Napoleon because it's the busiest month of the academic year, but then I got into work today and my friend from another department came in with toffee waffles for me. It's the little things that make it better.

Wow, that must be difficult with everybody going back into school now. Your friend sounds awesome. I used to love it when I worked at the call center and people would come in with cakes, biscuits and all sorts. Just made the atmosphere feel friendly and nice.

Any news on potential of schools/colleges etc closing?

BlueIris
15-09-20, 10:02
I don't think it's going to happen unless we go back on lockdown.

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-20, 06:04
Some are closing:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/339-schools-closed-partially-closed-18935005

That popped up on my feed earlier.

A primary near to me has sent a class home for 2 weeks as one of the kids tested positive. It's right near the hotspot that has popped up in recent weeks so was always a possibility.

WiredIncorrectly
16-09-20, 14:42
Some are closing:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/339-schools-closed-partially-closed-18935005

That popped up on my feed earlier.

A primary near to me has sent a class home for 2 weeks as one of the kids tested positive. It's right near the hotspot that has popped up in recent weeks so was always a possibility.

Seen same thing on local news site with some local schools. Not this again!