PDA

View Full Version : Yellow eyes

Caribou93
10-09-20, 22:30
I’ve always been sort of aware of this issue, but it never really dawned on me that it could be really serious. So today, one of my coworkers looked at me and said I seem much better. She was talking about how my eyes looked a lot better than last week. And she said they looked really yellow, but now they look almost 100% better. Now I’ve been aware that my eyes are honestly on and off again yellow. I’ve heard little comments from my family that they look a little yellow but nothings ever really come up since today. Now I’m freaking out again because what if I have some sort of liver disease. I’ve had this issue for years now, at least 5 that I’ve been aware of, could be longer. And I’ve never really given it any thought, but it goes away, then it’ll come back. There’s no itching, sweating, I’ll have abdominal pain, but I’ve had that on and off for about 9 years now and no doctor has given me an answer to what’s causing it.

This honestly wasn’t a worry of mine until someone brought it up today. Why would it go away and then come back? Because I’ve noticed it a bit, but I’ll forget about it because it goes away. Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so did you get any answers? I’m really scared now.

panic_down_under
10-09-20, 23:53
Now I’m freaking out again because what if I have some sort of liver disease. I’ve had this issue for years now, at least 5 that I’ve been aware of, could be longer. And I’ve never really given it any thought, but it goes away, then it’ll come back. There’s no itching, sweating, I’ll have abdominal pain, but I’ve had that on and off for about 9 years now

Abdominal pain and yellow eyes could indicate gall stones. When was the last time you had a blood test including for liver enzymes? If not recently talk to your GP.

Caribou93
11-09-20, 01:23
The last time I've had any blood work done was a little more than 3 years ago, when this was still a thing that was going on. I honestly haven't thought anything of it. When the pain first started, I don't know if my eyes were yellow, but the liver test I had came back normal. But nothing has changed really since then, except people notice my eyes. I honestly really haven't had any other issues that I can think of. Now everyone's freaking me out because they keep saying "oh I'd go and see someone about that."

But, I have an honest question. If there was something serious, like liver disease, wouldn't that have become more problematic by now?

panic_down_under
11-09-20, 04:42
If there was something serious, like liver disease, wouldn't that have become more problematic by now?

Not necessarily. Some types of hepatitis trigger few symptoms and chronic liver diseases such as cirrhosis can become quite advanced before symptoms develop, however they usually takes a long time to develop. Yellow eyes and skin may indicate liver disease, but could also be from gall stones blocking the bile duct, or pancreatitis although it tends to produce more severe symptoms.

It probably isn't life threatening, but it should be checked out as it could eventually become so if ignored.