PDA

View Full Version : The potential perils of overseas holidays

Lencoboy
11-09-20, 10:22
This is a CV-related issue that has been concerning me since our govt relaxed the restrictions on non-essential overseas travel both to and from the UK during the summer, but appears to be greatly overlooked by the media ATM, which seem to be predominantly obsessing over pubs and schools being places of potential super-spreading.

Whilst it is true that such places can prove problematic in some instances, gatherings in private homes, illegal raves, etc, are actually far more problematic, due to their being mostly hidden from the general public at large, where as in pubs (and likewise establishments) and schools, the lack of social distancing, masking, etc is generally more noticeable, so gives the impression that said establishments are the most problematic, though in fact, they are only part of the problem, and people seem to be jumping to conclusions over this.

Does anyone think that the powers that be in this country jumped the gun by allowing people to travel abroad for holidays so soon given the pandemic is still far from over?

Pamplemousse
11-09-20, 10:26
It was a method of preventing the population from marching on Parliament and putting Johnson et al's heads on pikes - although these days the British are more likely to moan about it on Facebook/Twitter or sign an online petition.

However, we are now reaping the 'benefits' of it, especially in the age group likely to be heading off to university or on their 'gap year'.

pulisa
11-09-20, 19:59
I feel sorry for the young people who are fed up of being tarred with the same brush as those who don't give a toss.

Lencoboy
11-09-20, 20:42
I feel sorry for the young people who are fed up of being tarred with the same brush as those who don't give a toss.

Agreed. Young people almost always seem to get it in the neck for almost everything that's wrong with our society and I really get sick to the back teeth of people constantly calling for the return of school caning, parental corporal punishment with belts, slippers, wooden spoons, etc, borstals, death sentence, you name it, simply because it never did past generations any harm.

And to reiterate, it's more likely the gatherings in private homes and people returning from holidays abroad that are causing the current spike, yet many people are still blaming pubs and schools, which are certainly a factor but out of the millions of pubs and schools scattered across the land, it has so far only been a minority of such places responsible for the current spike.

Although I'm disappointed, I'm not overly shocked at today's cases.

On the other hand, only 6 deaths today, which is still extremely encouraging, even though there's still the odd chance that they might also start increasing in due course, but only time will tell.

Having said that, we have still had higher daily deaths with far fewer cases than today's, but if it's true that the actual number of daily cases back in February-April averaged more than 100,000 per day, it's far more likely to yield lower numbers of fatalities if the actual cases don't return to those highs again in due course.

Lencoboy
12-09-20, 11:25
I seriously think that our govt should reinstate the restrictions on non-essential international travel both to and from this country.

It does seem like late February onwards all over again, when people travelled to mainland Europe on holiday during the half-term school holidays back then, just when Italy was about to become extremely hard hit by the virus, and look where it lead us during the latter half of March.

A similar situation seems to be developing right now, a fortnight after the week of the late August bank holiday weekend, prior to then our daily cases, whilst already on a steady upward trajectory, were still relatively stable, but over the past week or two, they have suddenly started going haywire.

Of course there are obviously other factors, most of which seem to be getting far more media attention, while the holidays abroad thing barely seems to register and much of the general public don't seem to give a damn!!

Pamplemousse
12-09-20, 15:00
Having said that, we have still had higher daily deaths with far fewer cases than today's, but if it's true that the actual number of daily cases back in February-April averaged more than 100,000 per day, it's far more likely to yield lower numbers of fatalities if the actual cases don't return to those highs again in due course.

That 100,000 figure really does sound like a figure plucked out of thin air.

Lencoboy
12-09-20, 15:50
That 100,000 figure really does sound like a figure plucked out of thin air.

It's pure speculation from other sources (possibly Dr Campbell, and/or even the BBC), and not what I plucked out of thin air.

There's an increasing consensus (albeit anecdotal) amongst much of the population that the virus might have already been within our shores since December, even though it was unknown at the time. Many people I know believe they had symptoms that match those of CV between December and February.

I don't usually like to name names on here, but I wonder what Phil06 is up to these days, as back in the spring he was really upset he was unable to have a foreign holiday abroad at the time, and concerned about the prospects of being vaccinated and having to wear masks against his will.

Very slight drop in today's cases (though still firmly in 3k territory) and 9 deaths today (all in England).

Pamplemousse
12-09-20, 18:14
It's pure speculation from other sources (possibly Dr Campbell, and/or even the BBC), and not what I plucked out of thin air.
Where did I specifically say YOU plucked it out of thin air, Lencoboy? Just because I quoted your post does NOT mean I am attributing it to YOU.

Jeez...

Lencoboy
13-09-20, 09:47
Where did I specifically say YOU plucked it out of thin air, Lencoboy? Just because I quoted your post does NOT mean I am attributing it to YOU.

Jeez...

Soz!!

Pamplemousse
13-09-20, 10:27
Glad that's resolved :)

Funny, but someone I'm aware of has come back from Italy with a persistent cough, but has tested negative. Now they're desperately trying to find a testing station and as with anything to do with this government, it's proving impossible.

Lencoboy
13-09-20, 15:29
Glad that's resolved :)

Funny, but someone I'm aware of has come back from Italy with a persistent cough, but has tested negative. Now they're desperately trying to find a testing station and as with anything to do with this government, it's proving impossible.

I gather this must be for further tests.

Wasn't it mentioned the other day that some people might be unnecessarily getting tested just for the sake of it, without any of the key symptoms, which might be one of the factors behind the current bottlenecks?

I'm still convinced that the current bout of higher daily cases is largely caused by those returning from holidays since the last 2 weeks of August.

What's really bugging me is we've been deprived of theatres and live music events since mid-March, but the govt have still been content to give non-essential international travel the go-ahead, as if the travel industry is far more important than the arts, and numerous other sectors.

And the interiors of planes are confined spaces with lots of people, so what's the difference between passenger holds on planes and theatre auditoria?

Just seems like double standards to me.

dorabella
13-09-20, 18:36
I gather this must be for further tests.Wasn't it mentioned the other day that some people might be unnecessarily getting tested just for the sake of it, without any of the key symptoms, which might be one of the factors behind the current bottlenecks?I'm still convinced that the current bout of higher daily cases is largely caused by those returning from holidays since the last 2 weeks of August.What's really bugging me is we've been deprived of theatres and live music events since mid-March, but the govt have still been content to give non-essential international travel the go-ahead, as if the travel industry is far more important than the arts, and numerous other sectors.And the interiors of planes are confined spaces with lots of people, so what's the difference between passenger holds on planes and theatre auditoria?Just seems like double standards to me.If you look at the timeline here positive tests have been rising for the last 3 weeks - reflecting those die-hards coming back from overseas holidays, series of raves and illegal mass music events, plus relaxing of household mingling, religious gatherings.... doesn't take much to work it out . Even so the majority of positive test have been recorded among 18 - 25 year olds so they are not off the hook - the rest of the cases are what they have passed on to their families. Fun times ahead when students start returning to universities.... Birmingham is going to come a cropper, like wise most universities in the North west and North east... not to mention London when students will be descending from all over the place ... and I was looking forward to returning even one day a week to my offiice. Thank goodness UCL will not be allowing students back into the college library where my office is located.