PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out about lung cancer

JamesRed
12-09-20, 14:35
I took a week off work to do some bits and bobs around the house. One of the things that needed to be done was fix the insulation in the loft as there was bits of it falling off.

I spent the afternoon taking bits down and putting up new ones, but it wasn't until towards the end of the day that I noticed all the dust that had been hanging around up there whilst I was doing it and it occurred to me about the fibres in the loft insulation.

Since then I've been feeling tight in the chest and the back, with a constant sense of needing to take deep breaths and the odd cough throughout the day. I'm now terrified I've wrecked my lungs and will get lung cancer down the line :(

nomorepanic
12-09-20, 15:08
You can't get it from such a small amount like that - it takes years of exposure.

How do you know the loft insualtion isn't safe?

MRS STRESS ED
12-09-20, 22:16
I took a week off work to do some bits and bobs around the house. One of the things that needed to be done was fix the insulation in the loft as there was bits of it falling off.

I spent the afternoon taking bits down and putting up new ones, but it wasn't until towards the end of the day that I noticed all the dust that had been hanging around up there whilst I was doing it and it occurred to me about the fibres in the loft insulation.

Since then I've been feeling tight in the chest and the back, with a constant sense of needing to take deep breaths and the odd cough throughout the day. I'm now terrified I've wrecked my lungs and will get lung cancer down the line :(

You are totally overthinking you don't have lung cancer, its not like a cold that just comes on you you have anxiety because you think you have cancer, l lost my beautiful dad to lung cancer it nothing like you are describing now stop it and take a minute to think rationally xx

best wishes

JamesRed
12-09-20, 23:01
Hey Mrs Stress, I'm terribly sorry for your loss and I feel awful for bringing it up now.

I appreciate this wouldn't come on suddenly like a cold, but I'm fearful for the damage I may have done up in the loft and the long term implications. It's an old house (Edwardian) and the insulation was at least made of fiberglass that is toxic. It can't be a coincidence that I've been having these symptoms so soon after doing this.

MRS STRESS ED
12-09-20, 23:28
Thank you for your kind reply xx

its probably because you have thought about it so now you're overthinking please try not think that way anxiety can mimic anything your brain latches onto take care xx

panic_down_under
13-09-20, 00:03
and the insulation was at least made of fiberglass that is toxic..

There is no evidence glass wool (or rock/slag-wool) as used in home insulation causes lung cancer, not even with long term (5+ years) exposure. See: Man-Made Vitreous Fibres (http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc/vol81/81.html), Toxic Substances Portal - Synthetic Vitreous Fibers (https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=906&tid=185#bookmark05)

Lolalee1
13-09-20, 10:44
You are totally overthinking you don't have lung cancer, its not like a cold that just comes on you you have anxiety because you think you have cancer, l lost my beautiful dad to lung cancer it nothing like you are describing now stop it and take a minute to think rationally xx

best wishes

Sorry for the loss of your dad:flowers:and you are right it Is nothing like lung cancer.

MRS STRESS ED
13-09-20, 12:09
Sorry for the loss of your dad:flowers:and you are right it Is nothing like lung cancer.

Thank you that is lovely of you take care xx