PDA

View Full Version : Panic over son's symptoms

fishman65
19-09-20, 18:42
My son phoned this afternoon to say he had a sore throat and headache. So, before logic could get to work, I think covid and nip along to my daughter's friend's house to let them know. My daughter is going out to a worker's meet up with her tonight, six of them. So daughter wasn't happy and her friend has probably taken a dim view as well.

My son is not ticking the three main symptoms on the NHS website so can't get tested anyway. I suppose this kind of situation is going on everywhere but anxiety kicks in and suddenly 2+2=5

pulisa
19-09-20, 20:42
It can still make 4 but easy to miscalculate with all the covid hype going on and every possible symptom coming under the covid umbrella.

I'd say if he develops a high temp it's more of a covid possibility but who knows and unless he is tested he and you won't know anyway so it's all so uncertain and unsettling.

I'm afraid that this situation is going to be a regular feature of the Autumn/Winter and common cold symptoms will assume huge significance.

I hope he wakes up tomorrow feeling better and back to normal, Fishman. It could just be a sore throat..I hope so.

fishman65
19-09-20, 21:25
It can still make 4 but easy to miscalculate with all the covid hype going on and every possible symptom coming under the covid umbrella.

I'd say if he develops a high temp it's more of a covid possibility but who knows and unless he is tested he and you won't know anyway so it's all so uncertain and unsettling.

I'm afraid that this situation is going to be a regular feature of the Autumn/Winter and common cold symptoms will assume huge significance.

I hope he wakes up tomorrow feeling better and back to normal, Fishman. It could just be a sore throat..I hope so.Thanks Pulisa, his lady friend was here yesterday for about 20 minutes. She doesn't have any symptoms, yet. We last saw my son on Sunday. He does start work around 5am every day and has two sons on the autistic spectrum, so he could be just run down. Hopefully of course. I'm wondering if I should self isolate just in case.

NancyW
20-09-20, 04:17
I'm sorry you're going through this.

He has to have a certain set of symptoms to get tested?

So everyone quarantines and you never know if it was covid or not?

MyNameIsTerry
20-09-20, 05:41
Being rundown is a big possibility. Whenever me and my brother put in too many hours we would get a 24hr cold that just disappears. The sore throat was one we saw too.

If your immune system takes a hammering you can have cold symptoms. But they go quicker.

Perhaps dose up with vitamin c, try to rest and stay well hydrated. He could just be a little dehydrated (has the weather warmed up where you are?).

It seems prudent to stay away as the next couple of days may answer your question and you can't risk your wife's health.

pulisa
20-09-20, 07:57
Yes I agree with Terry..You won't lose anything by self-isolating for a couple of days and I'm afraid it's all going to be watching and waiting which is always very frustrating and food and drink for anxiety.

Let us know how he is today, fishman? I suspect you are already prepared for a covid diagnosis in view of all the media hype but let us hope he's just feeling a bit "off" and it's soon gone.

Carnation
20-09-20, 09:08
Fishman, I just wanted to say I agree with what everyone else has already said. x

Pamplemousse
20-09-20, 09:30
Useful "what is it?" guide here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54145299

pulisa
20-09-20, 13:20
Thanks for this, PM.

Let's face it..The worried well will be over cautious, non-anxious but rational people will be confused and the don't give a toss-ers will carry on, regardless of fines and warnings etc

fishman65
20-09-20, 19:28
Thank you for your replies everyone, it means a lot. OK my son feels better today, he has a sore throat still but he's using cough sweets to ease it. But no temperature, no cough and no taste/smell loss. He feels tired but then he always does, his lady friend and kids have no symptoms.

So. Where does that leave us? Fearing this winter probably as I can see myself jumping at the slightest sniffle. I don't yet know if we've got away with this, I did wake this morning with a headache but that could be stress or the fact I've dropped the propranolol from 160mg to 80. However I did 30 minutes on the exercise bike, high resistance with no trouble.

Pamplemousse
20-09-20, 19:56
Thank you for your replies everyone, it means a lot. OK my son feels better today, he has a sore throat still but he's using cough sweets to ease it. But no temperature, no cough and no taste/smell loss. He feels tired but then he always does, his lady friend and kids have no symptoms.

So. Where does that leave us? Fearing this winter probably as I can see myself jumping at the slightest sniffle. I don't yet know if we've got away with this, I did wake this morning with a headache but that could be stress or the fact I've dropped the propranolol from 160mg to 80. However I did 30 minutes on the exercise bike, high resistance with no trouble.

Sounds like your son has a good old-fashioned cold. Some of those could lay me out in the past.

Picking up on your second paragraph: my sister is of the "Covid exists but its effect is exaggerated and the unintended consequences will be far worse" school of thought. And she has long said that there will be mental consequences, from people jumping out of their skin at the first sound of a cough to being confrontational over masks etc. and being in a permanent state of fear.

AntsyVee
20-09-20, 20:26
Did you all get your flu shots? Just cause Covid is around doesn't mean the normal fall viruses went away...

pulisa
20-09-20, 20:41
Did you all get your flu shots? Just cause Covid is around doesn't mean the normal fall viruses went away...

I'm a carer for my 2 adult children and I'm 61. I won't be offered a flu jab until December and only then if there are still supplies available. I've booked a private jab at the local pharmacy for £12.99 for 3 weeks time (earliest I could book). I don't normally bother but this year I will.

AntsyVee
20-09-20, 20:50
Damn. They're already offering flu shots here in drive-thru lines.

fishman65
20-09-20, 21:00
PM - your sister is right of course. Maybe not that Covid is exaggerated but the level of fear being generated. Somehow a pandemic doesn't feel so bad in mid summer with the light evenings.

Pulisa and Vee - myself and Mrs F are booked in for Sept 28th for our jabs. How come you have to wait so long Pulisa?? Glad you got in though.

Pamplemousse
20-09-20, 21:52

Local GP practice has been silent on the matter. I'll be asking the pharmacy in due course.

MyNameIsTerry
20-09-20, 23:19
Maybe people are panic buying flu shots now? Would it surprise you, people thinking of a Covid connection? Maybe they think the less flu around, the less Covid worry?

I've been getting texts from our surgery. Initially it was the end of Sept for high risk patients. Now there are 3 slots for the over 65s into late October.

Now imagine spikes that get linked to increased travelling around surgeries and pharmacies :biggrin:

AntsyVee
21-09-20, 00:17
They aren't buying them here, they're handing them out. We don't want people getting sick, period. And we've pretty much learned through this that there is a segment of all of our societies where people are going to do what they want regardless of what the recommendations are. When the president goes against his own Center for Disease Control, good luck telling anyone else they have to follow the rules.

glassgirlw
21-09-20, 02:38
I haven’t had a flu shot in probably at least 10 years. But I do think I’ll get one this year. They’re telling us (in the Midwest) to wait until October....I guess the shot is only meant to last so long and they want to make sure you’re covered during the peak months for the flu?

pulisa
21-09-20, 08:12
PM - your sister is right of course. Maybe not that Covid is exaggerated but the level of fear being generated. Somehow a pandemic doesn't feel so bad in mid summer with the light evenings.

Pulisa and Vee - myself and Mrs F are booked in for Sept 28th for our jabs. How come you have to wait so long Pulisa?? Glad you got in though.

That appears to be the policy at my local health centre. No jabs for the 50-64 age group until December unless you are classed as vulnerable. It doesn't surprise me so that's why I decided to make my own arrangements.

Wouldn't it be ironic if this year's flu jab proved to be effective against Coronavirus...Stranger things have happened!! It will be interesting to see what happens.

Pamplemousse
21-09-20, 08:24
I checked my local practice website last night. The nasal sprays for 2 - 18 year olds has already started and from next week, it's the 65+ patients. Nothing yet on anyone else.

Carnation
21-09-20, 10:24
Same with my surgery Pulisa. Doesn't really make sense under the present circumstances to wait so long for a flu jab. Some people having to wait until January!

Scass
21-09-20, 14:37
Colds are up about 80% at the moment, so your son probably has one. I’m glad he’s feeling better.

My yearly flu jab isn’t until November, normally I get it in November (asthma) but it’s late this year. I may just pay privately. My daughter’s school are doing them in November too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
05-10-20, 05:52
Has it all settled down now, fishman?

Lencoboy
05-10-20, 09:26
That appears to be the policy at my local health centre. No jabs for the 50-64 age group until December unless you are classed as vulnerable. It doesn't surprise me so that's why I decided to make my own arrangements.

Wouldn't it be ironic if this year's flu jab proved to be effective against Coronavirus...Stranger things have happened!! It will be interesting to see what happens.

Re your last paragraph, I have also wondered that myself.

If it was Covid me and my parents had back in February, both my mom and dad had the flu jab last autumn (2019) and they both survived whatever 'virus' it was. I never had said jab last year (and I am currently waiting to have it this year), and again if it was Covid we all had back then, all 3 of us obviously survived it by pure pot luck.

I didn't quite feel at death's door per se, but I certainly had many of the hallmark symptoms of Covid at the time, so did my parents.

pulisa
05-10-20, 13:28
I hope you did have it, lencoboy because at least then you could take your foot off the pedal as regards fear of contracting CV.

pulisa
05-10-20, 13:30
Same with my surgery Pulisa. Doesn't really make sense under the present circumstances to wait so long for a flu jab. Some people having to wait until January!

The pharmacy cancelled my flu jab due to lack of supplies!! I managed to get a slot at the GP surgery though as I'm a carer..Last appointment until December apparently!

Lencoboy
05-10-20, 17:03
The pharmacy cancelled my flu jab due to lack of supplies!! I managed to get a slot at the GP surgery though as I'm a carer..Last appointment until December apparently!

Good for you, Pulisa.

I certainly hope me and my parents actually had Covid back in February, but unfortunately, there's no way of finding out, especially as the antibodies/antigens are reputed to have a maximum lifespan of about 6 months or so.

Could be wrong though.

I'm just switching off from all the endless news headlines once again, especially as the daily case stats are all topsy-turvy ATM, and no one seems to know what's really going on.

pulisa
05-10-20, 17:36
That's a good move, Lencoboy. It's all a complete muddle anyway. Concentrate on your own wellbeing- that's what matters most.

fishman65
05-10-20, 19:33
Has it all settled down now, fishman?It has thank you Terry, it turned out to be a regular cold in the end. But as has been mentioned before now, covid has added a whole new dimension to 'winter bugs' that we have lived with for all our lives without batting an eyelid. I used to see getting flu as a winter tradition before I met Mrs F. We had our jabs a week ago, Mrs F hasn't felt right since but it was the same last year.

Lencoboy
05-10-20, 20:16
That's a good move, Lencoboy. It's all a complete muddle anyway. Concentrate on your own wellbeing- that's what matters most.

Thanks again Pulisa.

I'm still mega cross with all of the Covidiots who are still blatantly flouting the rules and think that they're untouchable, both in the sense of assuming that they will never get the virus and it's all a big con, and still refusing point blank to social distance and mask up in public places. Not even the threats of a second nationwide lockdown would deter them, they would probably just laugh about it and say eff off!!

They're the ones helping to prolong this blasted pandemic and not only causing inconvenience for us who ARE abiding by the rules, but also for themselves.

They'll no doubt be the ones protesting en masse in central London if such a lockdown does come to pass, chanting and waving banners reading 'F*** Boris' and it will be like the 1990 Poll Tax riots all over again!!

And many of those fools no doubt voted for Boris and Co last December.

Lencoboy
05-10-20, 20:27
It has thank you Terry, it turned out to be a regular cold in the end. But as has been mentioned before now, covid has added a whole new dimension to 'winter bugs' that we have lived with for all our lives without batting an eyelid. I used to see getting flu as a winter tradition before I met Mrs F. We had our jabs a week ago, Mrs F hasn't felt right since but it was the same last year.

That's good to hear FM65.

I think you're right in the sense that even the slightest hint of a normal cold now provokes mass paranoia within many of us, something we still wouldn't have even given a second thought in 2019 and before.

MyNameIsTerry
06-10-20, 05:56
It has thank you Terry, it turned out to be a regular cold in the end. But as has been mentioned before now, covid has added a whole new dimension to 'winter bugs' that we have lived with for all our lives without batting an eyelid. I used to see getting flu as a winter tradition before I met Mrs F. We had our jabs a week ago, Mrs F hasn't felt right since but it was the same last year.

I think that's only natural when you have vulnerable people. My mum had a cold over the weekend and naturally we had to monitor her symptoms just in case and check on local testing options with her still being housebound.

I think how you handle it matters more. Being cautious doesn't have to mean feeding anxiety.

Glad to hear it's done & dusted for you. I'm trying to get dad to consider their usual flu jabs as we have some dates from our surgery now but picking my moments as he's got a lot on.

pulisa
06-10-20, 08:27
Could you ask the district nurse to administer the jabs for both of them at home? It can be easily arranged this way especially as your mum is housebound. Only if your dad wants this though of course.

Noivous
07-10-20, 14:10
So not covid?

MyNameIsTerry
08-10-20, 01:02
Could you ask the district nurse to administer the jabs for both of them at home? It can be easily arranged this way especially as your mum is housebound. Only if your dad wants this though of course.

Yes, I think so. Dad can easily book in so not an issue. The nurses qualified to take blood will probably do it.

Dad will be fine with this. They come weekly to check her legs anyway and have offered twice per week if needed. They are really helpful and put GPs to shame.

pulisa
08-10-20, 08:05
Yes I agree, Terry. The truth is that district nurses are far more efficient and knowledgeable than GPs who whine and whinge about their workload but who have hidden behind their phones during the pandemic and have still managed to take long holidays on high pay.

Lencoboy
08-10-20, 10:20
Yes I agree, Terry. The truth is that district nurses are far more efficient and knowledgeable than GPs who whine and whinge about their workload but who have hidden behind their phones during the pandemic and have still managed to take long holidays on high pay.

I agree with you that there is an underlying 'blame game' culture with certain GPs which was already the case long before this pandemic.

At our local surgery they are notorious for cock-ups with things like mismatching dates and days on letters, and the other week when all 3 of us went for a flu jab I wasn't informed until we were waiting in the queue outside the surgery that the jabs on that day were for over 65s only, and I'm still jabless right now.

My dad was defending their screw-ups saying that it's all the fault of the govt who have taken the NHS for a ride over the past decade and that we should be more forgiving. I agree that the NHS and all other public services have been fair game for cuts over the past decade but there have always been lazy, incompetent jobsworth-type people who get away with anything regardless of the political or economic situation, and I am really sick to death of 'it's the cuts wot made me do it' being used as one of many get-out clauses for gross incompetence.

Sorry for yet another lengthy rant.