PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe it's been 6 months... feeling discouraged.

ErinKC
20-09-20, 21:57
Hey friends. I'm feeling discouraged and disappointed today. This pandemic has really been a roller coaster of emotions for me, but disappointment is ruling the day today. Six years ago I started a freelance career after quitting my job following the birth of my daughter. I'm so incredibly proud of myself for building what became a very successful and lucrative writing job from absolutely nothing in the midst of paralyzing postpartum anxiety. For the past 2 years I've had an incredible client who I absolutely love. My daughter started Kindergarten last fall and I started law school. I felt alive again in a way I hadn't since becoming a mother. I was working 20 hours a week as a writer and killing it at law school while my daughter thrived in school. Then, Covid. In the past six months many areas of my life have suffered, but nothing more so than my work. I just didn't have the mental energy after everything else and it was giving me so much anxiety feeling like I was letting them down.

Today I finally emailed them to say I couldn't take any work right now. I'm sure I'll be able to maintain contact and hopefully work with them again in the future, but I just feel a bit gutted. I'm back in law school and also homeschooling my 1st grader. While homeschooling is much better than the virtual school option and I value this time with my daughter, it's not something I ever wanted to be doing. Fall coming back around is also just making me feel sad about what's been lost. Last fall was such an incredible, exciting, and personally fulfilling time. Now, I'm taking Zoom classes 4 nights a week and being a first grade teacher. A good friend of mine moved to Utah and the last time I saw her was March 10. Right after the pandemic started, my daughter asked if she'd still be able to go trick or treating and I said - of course! it will be over by then. And, here we are.

I'm just feeling kind of bogged down today.

AntsyVee
20-09-20, 22:24
Yeah, I think many of us are feeling this way. We all have a level of personal frustration. For me, cause I'm Jewish, this weekend is our New Year, Rosh Hashanah. I watched the services on TV instead of getting together with my extended family. I miss being able to visit people, go out to eat and socialize, and watch a movie in a theatre.

While I'm trying to concentrating on the perk of teaching virtually (as i'm an educator) like going to the bathroom more often and teaching in sweat pants, I provide more technical support than I do education. Also, many of my students are lazy and/or live in home environments not conducive to getting any school work done. In most of my classes, it's divided like this: 1/3 is caught up and doing what they're supposed to do, 1/3 has started on assignments, but are behind due to tech issues, and the last third signs into class and won't even open the assignments or watch any of the teaching videos. I call homes of absent kids and kids who are behind on work everyday. I'm available for tutoring 4 days a week after school. Parents have my mobile number. Some parents have yelled at me, asking me what do I expect them to do? Sorry, I thought they'd like to know their kid isn't doing any work.

I don't know what to tell you Erin, but I feel your frustration. :hugs:hang in there.

ErinKC
20-09-20, 22:55
Thanks, Antsy! I know we're all going through all the stages of grief with this pandemic. And, I can't even imagine your personal frustrations as a teacher! I have many teacher friends who are really, really struggling. I opted to pull my daughter to homeschool, which was another heart wrenching decision because I adore her school, but we just had such trouble keeping up with the virtual in the spring and I knew I would struggle with the even longer days. I support people who choose homeschooling in regular times, but it was never something I wanted to do because I think a school setting is so fundamentally formative for kids. So, that makes me sad too! I can't wait until she can be back with her friends and a teacher who isn't me!

AntsyVee
20-09-20, 23:20
Yeah, teaching is never easy, but the virtual teaching has everyone frustrated. I know parents don't want the double job of educating their kids, and so when I call them they want to take out their frustration on me, but I RECORD EVERYTHING that I'm teaching. All the kid has to do is watch the video. I just need the parents to yell at the kids to do it! That I can't do.

Yes, I agree with you. Kids need that early socialization or most of them become very weird people. We already have kids socially stunted from too much screen time. I know this covid break is going to set some of the younger kids back. :/

Panicattacka
21-09-20, 10:12
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Or, to put it another way, the Covid crisis will only be declared over when they've implemented all their agenda items.

AntsyVee
21-09-20, 20:35
Wow, what a nice, positive, uplifting message, panicattacka *rolls eyes*

pulisa
21-09-20, 20:49
You are obviously totally committed to your students, Vee and there must be such a lot of extra work for you..Dealing with difficult parents is just another pain which you definitely don't need!

Erin, I'm so sorry your plans have been devastated by Covid and the fact that there appears to be no end in sight is depressing to say the least..but there WILL be an end to this and your daughter will benefit from being with you and from being homeschooled. She is lucky to have an intelligent and well educated mom who always has her best interests at heart. I'm sure you wish that more of your parents were like Erin, Vee?

AntsyVee
21-09-20, 21:09
Yes, I do, P!

WiredIncorrectly
22-09-20, 11:43
This is normal to feel this way. Everybody expected this to be over by now but we're still here and back at square one.

The world is going to have to live with the fact times have changed. Which is going to be tough, but I think for the foreseeable future we're going to be living at a distance from each other. I thought I'd be used to it being agoraphobic, but it's not. It's disrupting so many factors of life that I am not used to. Non of us are.

I read that the hundreds of thousands (may be sensationalism) are facing eviction because yesterday the rule ended where people couldn't be evicted. Business are going under the buss left right and center.

It's disastrous times, but for as long as we wake up to see another day we should rejoice that we have life today. Over 100,000 didn't wake up this morning.

I like to watch an episode of Invisible People every morning to remind myself that a) there are beautiful people from all walks of life b) life could be different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRbCzZH_HY

Lencoboy
22-09-20, 16:45
This is normal to feel this way. Everybody expected this to be over by now but we're still here and back at square one.

The world is going to have to live with the fact times have changed. Which is going to be tough, but I think for the foreseeable future we're going to be living at a distance from each other. I thought I'd be used to it being agoraphobic, but it's not. It's disrupting so many factors of life that I am not used to. Non of us are.

I read that the hundreds of thousands (may be sensationalism) are facing eviction because yesterday the rule ended where people couldn't be evicted. Business are going under the buss left right and center.

It's disastrous times, but for as long as we wake up to see another day we should rejoice that we have life today. Over 100,000 didn't wake up this morning.

I like to watch an episode of Invisible People every morning to remind myself that a) there are beautiful people from all walks of life b) life could be different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRbCzZH_HY

My sentiments exactly.

The only real way out of this mess is obviously the V-word!

It's just such a crying shame that we have to keep pandering to and pussyfooting around the so-called antivaxxers and CTers. The serial AVers and CTers won't necessarily be forced kicking and screaming into being vaccinated. Of course their views and opinions theoretically matter, which obviously makes for democracy, but it's the fact that they continue to force their OTT extremist agendas on everyone, especially the gullible of our society.

Trouble is, the genie has long escaped from the bottle, and seemingly almost anything goes these days, and the authorities are basically powerless to do anything about it.

WiredIncorrectly
23-09-20, 01:46
My sentiments exactly.

The only real way out of this mess is obviously the V-word!

It's just such a crying shame that we have to keep pandering to and pussyfooting around the so-called antivaxxers and CTers. The serial AVers and CTers won't necessarily be forced kicking and screaming into being vaccinated. Of course their views and opinions theoretically matter, which obviously makes for democracy, but it's the fact that they continue to force their OTT extremist agendas on everyone, especially the gullible of our society.

Trouble is, the genie has long escaped from the bottle, and seemingly almost anything goes these days, and the authorities are basically powerless to do anything about it.

I'm not antivax, but you should be aware that current COVID trials are likely using synthetic RNA. This is dangerous and not approved for human use and it appears the Blackpool trial is an RNA vaccine. I would never accept an RNA vaccine. You'd be stupid to. The immune system can respond in unpredictable ways and that's why RNA vaccines are banned from human use. And they CAN have a direct effect on DNA; there are studies that confirm this. I posted on this in a previous thread and am currently writing a blog post on the topic. Should be ready in a few days.

Lencoboy
23-09-20, 10:24
I'm not antivax, but you should be aware that current COVID trials are likely using synthetic RNA. This is dangerous and not approved for human use and it appears the Blackpool trial is an RNA vaccine. I would never accept an RNA vaccine. You'd be stupid to. The immune system can respond in unpredictable ways and that's why RNA vaccines are banned from human use. And they CAN have a direct effect on DNA; there are studies that confirm this. I posted on this in a previous thread and am currently writing a blog post on the topic. Should be ready in a few days.

I'm not having a pop at you per se, but there's bound to be a fair amount of misinfo doing the rounds online concerning all of this and people inevitably jumping to conclusions.

Surely this trial thing in Blackpool wouldn't even be happening if it was deemed hazardous and unethical. Especially as the other week the Oxford vaccine trials were paused as a precautionary measure due to one person seemingly developing undesirable side effects which has since been considered a false alarm, as the affected person has now mostly recovered from the ailments that were originally the suspected side effects, and the trials of said vaxx have since resumed.

Of course we all need to beware of dubious info during this ongoing pandemic, and refer only to official, trusted sources like the BBC News.

I now even consider Dr JC to be honest and trustworthy, despite his relatively low key status outside of the mainstream media.

Pamplemousse
23-09-20, 11:04
From what I understand the only mRNA vaccine is the Pfizer one - the "Oxford vaccine" is a conventional one.

This little table lifted from the BBC - I saw a much better explanatory one a day or two ago but I can't find the article now.

https://i.postimg.cc/VstHH5Qg/Screenshot-2020-09-23-Who-would-get-the-coronavirus-vaccine-and-how.png

WiredIncorrectly
23-09-20, 12:47
I'm not having a pop at you per se, but there's bound to be a fair amount of misinfo doing the rounds online concerning all of this and people inevitably jumping to conclusions.

You will not find anybody talking about this. Not even the conspiracy theorists. Nobody is aware of it to my knowledge. I made the conclusion after doing my own research on the Blackpool trials after its info was missing.

I'm pretty sure I'll have told you so moment by January. I've had quite a few of those on here. But if you're happy to accept such vaccines the consequences (if any) are on you.

Edit:

Oh my bad, it's in the news. I don't follow the news. I gleaned this information on a 2 + 2 = 4 basis. Blackpool trial says "does not give you COVID", only vaccines that can do that are RNA. It's just common sense.

WiredIncorrectly
23-09-20, 12:55
From what I understand the only mRNA vaccine is the Pfizer one - the "Oxford vaccine" is a conventional one.

This little table lifted from the BBC - I saw a much better explanatory one a day or two ago but I can't find the article now.

The Blackpool trial is RNA. It clearly states "You will not get COVID". The only vaccinations that can do that are RNA.

Gary A
23-09-20, 14:02
The Blackpool trial is RNA. It clearly states "You will not get COVID". The only vaccinations that can do that are RNA.

None of the vaccines will give you Covid, as “Covid” is the disease that arises from infection with the SARS-COV-2 virus. Some vaccines are using weakened or dead versions of that virus, but quite a few are using adenovirus vectors in order to create an immune response. Adenovirus is not SARS-COV-2 nor is it Covid.

mRNA vaccines, as far as I’m aware, are being produced by Moderna, Pfizer and Imperial college. I’m not sure if any of the Chinese vaccines are mRNA types.

I do agree that these mRNA vaccines should be intensely scrutinised because, as you say, none have ever been approved for human use.

Pamplemousse
23-09-20, 14:35
I have to say that when my turn comes to be jabbed, I will be asking whose vaccine I'm getting and if they say "Pfizer" I'll be saying "can I have AstraZeneca instead?"

Nice little infographic here, courtesy of the FT.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EilBGSvUcAAbK8i?format=jpg

Pamplemousse
23-09-20, 14:41
The Twitter thread that graphic was taken from is here:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1308683479706742785

Gary A
23-09-20, 16:37
I have to say that when my turn comes to be jabbed, I will be asking whose vaccine I'm getting and if they say "Pfizer" I'll be saying "can I have AstraZeneca instead?"

Nice little infographic here, courtesy of the FT.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EilBGSvUcAAbK8i?format=jpg

I would hope that by the time we have approved vaccines we will also have adequate safety and efficacy data by which to judge it.

Apparently confidence in vaccination is as low as 40% in the good old US of A, and I’d put a fair bit of money on that being largely down to Donald Trump pushing for a vaccine before the November election.

People aren’t stupid, they know that developing and approving a vaccine in under a year is a bit of a fantasy, especially with those that use technology that has never been approved in any other vaccine.

Pamplemousse
23-09-20, 18:40
Apparently confidence in vaccination is as low as 40% in the good old US of A, and I’d put a fair bit of money on that being largely down to Donald Trump pushing for a vaccine before the November election.

All about him, isn't it?

This is the land that has brought you QAnon, remember.

Gary A
23-09-20, 18:41
All about him, isn't it?

The place is nuts, honestly. Politics anywhere is a strange business but our friends on the other side of the pond have a habit of turning it into a bit of a Jerry Springer episode.

Pamplemousse
23-09-20, 20:11
I found this interesting. It's a bit political, mind you.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/23/scamademics-right-wing-lobbying-groups-reviving-herd-immunity-in-the-uk/

WiredIncorrectly
23-09-20, 21:06
I do agree that these mRNA vaccines should be intensely scrutinised because, as you say, none have ever been approved for human use.

Thank you, at least somebody here has a brain cell left :p

WiredIncorrectly
23-09-20, 21:08
All about him, isn't it?

:roflmao:

Trump is a bloody mad man I tell you.

AntsyVee
23-09-20, 21:13
Hey hey now, boys. We're not ALL bad. I can't help our Idiot-in-Chief, but don't me lump me in with him...otherwise I'll have to start naming some less than average intelligence British people ;)

Gary A
23-09-20, 22:52
Hey hey now, boys. We're not ALL bad. I can't help our Idiot-in-Chief, but don't me lump me in with him...otherwise I'll have to start naming some less than average intelligence British people ;)

I don’t even mean just him, it’s the whole lead up to the election, it’s crazy.

I honestly think they’d be as well getting Trump and Biden on stage to have a rap battle.

AntsyVee
24-09-20, 00:40
Yes, Biden wasn't my top choice...but I'm ready for a change.

Actually, the lead up to this election doesn't feel as crazy as the lead-up to the 2016 election because election stories are fighting for time on news coverage with coronavirus and police brutality.

Gary A
24-09-20, 01:07
Yes, Biden wasn't my top choice...but I'm ready for a change.

Actually, the lead up to this election doesn't feel as crazy as the lead-up to the 2016 election because election stories are fighting for time on news coverage with coronavirus and police brutality.

Just my opinion as an outsider looking in, but that looks a bit like having to choose between being hit in the face with a brick or running face first into a brick wall.

AntsyVee
24-09-20, 02:24
Well, if you just keep running, sometimes it takes awhile before you run into that wall. You have to look for silver linings where you can find them. And don't feel too bad for us...you all and half the world are right behind us on the nationalist/xenophobic/wanna-be tyrant train ;)

Lolalee1
24-09-20, 09:56
Spot on Vee:yesyes:

Lencoboy
24-09-20, 11:13
I know it's also a big thing ATM, but perhaps debates concerning the forthcoming election in the USA should be in their own dedicated threads, especially as there are many underlying related issues that already existed pre-Covid.

WiredIncorrectly
24-09-20, 15:18
I know it's also a big thing ATM, but perhaps debates concerning the forthcoming election in the USA should be in their own dedicated threads, especially as there are many underlying related issues that already existed pre-Covid.

Do you think Trump will get through again? I don't really follow US politics so not sure what the mood is over there regarding the election. Maybe vee can chime in.

AntsyVee
24-09-20, 20:45
It's hard to tell, James. A lot of polls are predicting a Biden win, but they were all wrong in 2016. However, there are a lot of people who will vote for Trump, especially in the middle part of the country. They've drank the cool-aid. Then there are people who will vote Republican because that's their party, no matter who the candidate is.

LB, I don't think you're ever going to get Covid separated from politics now that's its pretty much been politicized in so many countries.

Lencoboy
29-09-20, 14:16
It's hard to tell, James. A lot of polls are predicting a Biden win, but they were all wrong in 2016. However, there are a lot of people who will vote for Trump, especially in the middle part of the country. They've drank the cool-aid. Then there are people who will vote Republican because that's their party, no matter who the candidate is.

LB, I don't think you're ever going to get Covid separated from politics now that's its pretty much been politicized in so many countries.

There will also be those who continue to stand by Boris Johnson and the Conservatives here in the UK, even if they are of the opinion that he/they screwed up big time over Covid.

Many still continue to shun both Labour and the Lib Dems as if they are the greater of the three evils and shun Keir simply because they believe he lacks the charisma and personality that Boris has, which I find rather pathetic.

Even someone I know personally says they could never bring themselves to vote Labour ATM because of Keir's supposed lack of charisma over Boris's, and also believes that he might be a criminal sympathiser being an ex-lawyer, but continues to bemoan the Tory cuts and their poor handling of the Covid situation.

This person is generally quite level-
headed most of the time (and in her mid-late 50s), but she seems to shun Keir and the Labour party as a whole for completely the wrong reasons IMO.

She also shuns social media as a blight on contemporary society but still continues to use it, and inadvertently getting swept up in and falling for all the constant hysteria.

Lencoboy
29-09-20, 16:42
I give up, I really do!!

Yesterday's cases went right down to just above 4k but today have suddenly jumped above 7k.

Looks like the sizable drops between Saturday and yesterday were totally false. Shame on those who compile the stats. Shame on those responsible for the alleged lab blunders!

I really hate society right now who seem to want an incompetent leader/govt in power for all the wrong reasons. We might as well just go the whole hog and have a full on nationwide lockdown or even an all-out war for all I care right now!!

Covidiots it's all your fault. You and the poxy media run this country now. And you don't care either. Hang your heads in shame!!

Somebody might just as well give me a vicious beating right now because I feel totally worthless.

Gary A
29-09-20, 17:31
I give up, I really do!!

Yesterday's cases went right down to just above 4k but today have suddenly jumped above 7k.

Looks like the sizable drops between Saturday and yesterday were totally false. Shame on those who compile the stats. Shame on those responsible for the alleged lab blunders!

I really hate society right now who seem to want an incompetent leader/govt in power for all the wrong reasons. We might as well just go the whole hog and have a full on nationwide lockdown or even an all-out war for all I care right now!!

Covidiots it's all your fault. You and the poxy media run this country now. And you don't care either. Hang your heads in shame!!

Somebody might just as well give me a vicious beating right now because I feel totally worthless.

You need to stop tuning into these numbers so much. The vast majority of these cases are in folk under 25 years of age so will therefore result in nothing more than mild illness.

Test and trace, increased habitual testing etc, they’re all reasons why these numbers are going up. We would all rather they stayed low, but I’m afraid that until there’s a vaccine the only way of keeping these numbers down is keeping everyone locked up, which simply isn’t an option.

I think your mental health would benefit greatly by giving yourself a break from checking the daily counts. You aren’t applying any perspective on them and you’re only upsetting yourself.

pulisa
29-09-20, 18:02
I agree with Gary, Lencoboy. These daily counts have become an obsession for you now and you really need to safeguard your mental health.

Look after yourself and your family..Don't worry about numbers because the only numbers that count are those closest to you.

Lencoboy
29-09-20, 18:29
Thank you for your kind comments Gary and Pulisa.

You're both right in the sense that I have probably been getting too emotionally absorbed in the daily stats which from the off have been subject to fluctuation, as you very well know.

I'm most annoyed at those Covidiots who have been ignorantly disobeying the rules ever since our first national lockdown ended around May-June time, and particularly those selfish barstewards who were protesting in central London on Saturday against any possible lockdowns and even against vaccines, with barely any social distancing, and the Met Police ended up dispersing them. They were potentially advance-protesting against something that could very well end up being self-
inflicted, simply because of their failure to obey the rules, and harp on about their human rights to travel abroad on holiday, go pubbing it without social distancing, have house parties with more than 6 people, not mask up in shops and indoor public places, nor wait in queues 2 metres apart, you name it.

It most certainly will be a case of 'have their cake and eat it'!!

I feel a little calmer now after taking a Lorazepam tablet, which I am prescribed by my doctor, and once again, thank you for consoling me.

Pamplemousse
29-09-20, 18:33
I'm gonna third what Pulisa and Gary have already said, Lencoboy.

Echoing Pulisa's post;

Ignore the numbers.

Ignore the idiots beyond your home, including friends - you'll not change them.

Above all: Do what is best for you.

pulisa
29-09-20, 19:48
Enjoy the lorazepam!:D

We're at the mercy of the Great British Public but you can do all you can to control your own environment. You can't control anything or anyone else.

Gary A
29-09-20, 20:39
If our government and those advising them put more emphasis on testing from the early days of this virus then perhaps the so called “covidiots” wouldn’t be a problem.

Our government have failed us, our scientists have been wishy washy with their advice and now, in order to deflect blame they’re trying to blame the general public. No doubt some folk are flouting the rules, but the failures of those tasked with dealing with this type of thing are becoming more evident with each day that passes.

I’ve stood up for them, I’ve sympathised with the difficulty in their task, but no, at a certain point these people need to hold their hands up and admit they’ve handled this appallingly.

Lencoboy
29-09-20, 21:27
I'm gonna third what Pulisa and Gary have already said, Lencoboy.

Echoing Pulisa's post;

Ignore the numbers.

Ignore the idiots beyond your home, including friends - you'll not change them.

Above all: Do what is best for you.

Thank you too PM.
I'm having an early night tonight.
Speak to you all tomorrow.

Pamplemousse
29-09-20, 22:34
If our government and those advising them put more emphasis on testing from the early days of this virus then perhaps the so called “covidiots” wouldn’t be a problem.

Our government have failed us, our scientists have been wishy washy with their advice and now, in order to deflect blame they’re trying to blame the general public. No doubt some folk are flouting the rules, but the failures of those tasked with dealing with this type of thing are becoming more evident with each day that passes.

I’ve stood up for them, I’ve sympathised with the difficulty in their task, but no, at a certain point these people need to hold their hands up and admit they’ve handled this appallingly.

More than anything else, this pandemic has shown up just how piss-poor a single-issue government, filled with people chosen only for their loyalty to an elite idiot who holds the electorate in total contempt and who thinks a few bits of cod Latin and a mop of dishevelled hair is all he needed to get by with, actually is.

Still, as long as the racists get their blue passports and the forrins kicked out, eh?

Pamplemousse
29-09-20, 22:34
Thank you too PM.
I'm having an early night tonight.
Speak to you all tomorrow.

As am I, LB.

dorabella
29-09-20, 22:35
There is no single government in the west that has handled this in a systematic way - with the exception of the Swedes and the New Zealanders who are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Ministers are just that - they are not scientists - and the scientists from whom our government has taken its advice and guidance leave a lot to be desired - so called SAGE not to mention the infamous Ferguson model.Positive tests are not de facto 'cases' - the majority of them at present are in younger age groups, mostly asymptomatic, lots of the spread coming back from those who have come back from holidays abroad, and a lot of inter-household mingling... it was inevitable that positive tests would increase as lockdown was eased and people started to relax and go about their business again. Even so, the numbers we are seeing so gleefully spewed out on every MSM (and don't forget the MSM was positively itching for the second wave), when taken in their proper context are but a fraction of those that were (as it turned out) under-reported back in February and March. This is just what viruses do ... wax and wane ... and we should all just get a grip and calm down ... stop watching the news and hysterical expert opinion of the MSM.

fishman65
29-09-20, 22:49
Lencoboy, I agree with what has been said because I'm a bit like you. I've been scouring multiple sources, reading about cases, symptoms, vaccines etc ad nauseum. Its created a lot of friction between me and my wife and daughter. With a wife having underlying health conditions and a daughter in a public facing job, my anxiety has been tested big time. I go from hope to despair and back again. But I know deep down that surfing the web for answers is making me worse, we can't control what others do and somehow we have to accept that, its not easy. I've even accused my daughter of not doing enough to protect her mother which is very unfair. Its anxiety driving that but still no excuse.

Yesterday wife and me had our flu jabs. We were about to drive away from the medical centre car park when someone who knows Mrs F shoves her face right up to my wife's open window, barely a foot away. That's the kind of ignorance we are up against, just after we had navigated the medical centre all masked up. I felt like punching the woman but when I thought about it afterwards, I think we are all capable of letting our guard down. This virus is playing havoc with us all. Look after yourself Lencoboy, and the same to everyone else on this forum.

AntsyVee
30-09-20, 00:45
Yeah, all we can do is be as careful as we can, and try to gently persuade others to be as cautious as possible. The problem with those of us who have anxiety is that we want to control the world so that we feel better...but this is one of those situations where we can do so much. Yesterday was Yom Kippur, and for those of you not familiar with Jewish holidays, it's one we spend in prayer for the new year. Almost every rabbi I saw on TV, and almost every person I saw that shared their thoughts, expressed something along the likes of "please let me worry about the things I can change, and not worry about the things I can't."

I also think with everyone stressed, they tend to make poor decisions. When I get angry, I have to remind myself to assume people have the best intentions. That lady at the window was probably so excited to see your wife, FM, that she didn't even think. Today in class I started to get really upset at a student who's only turned in 2 assignments in 2 months, and then after talking to them in a private chat, I realized how much they are struggling. We all just have to be there for each other.

MyNameIsTerry
30-09-20, 06:22
There is no single government in the west that has handled this in a systematic way - with the exception of the Swedes and the New Zealanders who are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Ministers are just that - they are not scientists - and the scientists from whom our government has taken its advice and guidance leave a lot to be desired - so called SAGE not to mention the infamous Ferguson model.Positive tests are not de facto 'cases' - the majority of them at present are in younger age groups, mostly asymptomatic, lots of the spread coming back from those who have come back from holidays abroad, and a lot of inter-household mingling... it was inevitable that positive tests would increase as lockdown was eased and people started to relax and go about their business again. Even so, the numbers we are seeing so gleefully spewed out on every MSM (and don't forget the MSM was positively itching for the second wave), when taken in their proper context are but a fraction of those that were (as it turned out) under-reported back in February and March. This is just what viruses do ... wax and wane ... and we should all just get a grip and calm down ... stop watching the news and hysterical expert opinion of the MSM.

I agree with dorabella. The government are one thing but if the party differed wouldn't the experts still be the same? Wouldn't the same civil servants be pulling the strings? Whilst these very dubious 'advisors' are going to differ why would a new broom come in and boot out the chief of the NHS?

I'm cautious on this. It's all well and good to blame the front bench but I think a full investigation is needed so we can see who steered the decisions. Just like any big corporate CEO you'll find they are nudged towards certain strategies as much of the time they don't do detail.

Yes, it's been a mess. Do I think Corbyn would have been better? Well, no, he's not good at decisions so it's back to the anti Cummings who is just as nasty (or was). But the real people who know what they are doing would be the same and they need investigating too.

Anyway, in my cynical mind we could spend millions in perks to some toffs to conduct an enquiry to a) scapegoat some 'lower downs' b) get someone to fall on their sword...then suddenly get a peerage or c) feck all...like the last big enquiry.

MyNameIsTerry
30-09-20, 07:11
Does anyone think I could pull this new mask off?

https://www.ok.co.uk/lifestyle/fashion/pretty-little-thing-mask-dress-22742513

:whistles:

Lencoboy
30-09-20, 09:26

Some very rational analysis there Dora.

You're probably correct in the sense that apart from the odd one or two countries (e.g, NZ) no govt nor scientific advisors anywhere in the world have really got to grips with this pandemic so far, especially as policies and rules keep chopping and changing virtually every other day. Little wonder the general public feel confused, though there are always certain factions who like to play games by being 'daredevils', being in denial about the virus and peddling anti-vaxx nonsense, whilst accusing the authorities of dictatorship and fascism.

It still baffles me as to 'holidays abroad' have been mostly glossed over as being a significant driver of infections of late, whilst pubs, restaurants, workplaces, schools, unis etc are receiving widespread negative publicity ATM. Smacks of blatant confirmation bias IMO, in order to appease the serial jet-setters. Surely being confined in aeroplanes carries the same risks as being confined in theatres and live music concerts, which we are still being deprived of.

Regarding your quotes about MSM and the like, I personally think on occasions too much information can do more damage than it can solve, especially if it's false. The hysterical lingo used even by legit publications only fans the flames all the more IMO.

Lencoboy
30-09-20, 13:20
I agree with dorabella. The government are one thing but if the party differed wouldn't the experts still be the same? Wouldn't the same civil servants be pulling the strings? Whilst these very dubious 'advisors' are going to differ why would a new broom come in and boot out the chief of the NHS?

I'm cautious on this. It's all well and good to blame the front bench but I think a full investigation is needed so we can see who steered the decisions. Just like any big corporate CEO you'll find they are nudged towards certain strategies as much of the time they don't do detail.

Yes, it's been a mess. Do I think Corbyn would have been better? Well, no, he's not good at decisions so it's back to the anti Cummings who is just as nasty (or was). But the real people who know what they are doing would be the same and they need investigating too.

Anyway, in my cynical mind we could spend millions in perks to some toffs to conduct an enquiry to a) scapegoat some 'lower downs' b) get someone to fall on their sword...then suddenly get a peerage or c) feck all...like the last big enquiry.

I think you're probably right there Terry.

I bet you a further tenner that Corbyn and Co been in power they would have copped it far more that Boris and Co, and the Tories if in opposition no doubt would have treated the current situation like the GFC 10-12 years ago in order to gain votes when essentially both situations were/are of international proportions and fundamentally out of the hands of both the Tories and Labour, as in neither have any magic wands.

glassgirlw
01-10-20, 01:45
I’m sorry you’re feeling so discouraged, Erin - I can’t imagine having a school age child to deal with on top of everything else right now. It’s no wonder at all you’re feeling the way you are - it’s just overwhelming. Do you have help in the house? Can you eke out an hour of “you” time to do whatever you want? Read in peace, hot bath, glass of wine, whatever you would do to help you relax? Even if it’s not a full hour, any time you can take for just you might really help you reset.