PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure

Bakebeansrule
02-10-20, 18:49
Hello, I received a text today from my dr asking me to either record a diary of my blood pressure or go in and use the machine and give the results to the receptionist. I queried this as my blood pressure has never been mentioned as being high before and the reply was it could be because of any medication I’m on. The only thing I take is the contraceptive mini pill and when I was last prescribed it it was the beginning of lockdown so it was prescribed without my weight or blood pressure being take as usual so I’m guessing it’s that.
I went in tonight and used their machine I got 3 different readings
1) 171/78
2) 149/77
3) 111/61
I gave the receptionist the lowest and she seemed happy with that but I’m now wondering if I should have given her all 3? From what I’ve read the first is very high but I had just driven over there at a busy time in a new car I’m not comfortable with and I was very anxious about the whole thing. I should probably have sat and relaxed for a little while instead of going straight in. My dad has a home blood pressure monitor and whenever I’ve used that before it’s always been fine.
Those reading where done within 3 minutes of each other so does that mean because it came down it was probably high because I was anxious?

NotDeadYet
02-10-20, 19:43
Those reading where done within 3 minutes of each other so does that mean because it came down it was probably high because I was anxious?

Absolutely!

Best Wishes

Bakebeansrule
02-10-20, 19:47
Thank you for replying. Do you think I should just forget about it? It came down so probably nothing to worry about.

Pamplemousse
02-10-20, 20:17
I dream of having a BP of 111/61...

NotDeadYet
02-10-20, 21:36
Do you think I should just forget about it?

Yep. Check it at least once a year or whenever your doctor recommends and then move forward.

Best Wishes

Bakebeansrule
03-10-20, 06:32
Thank you :)

NoraB
03-10-20, 08:47
I had no problems with BP taking until last year, and by then I was having panic attacks every time I went to see my GP.

Originally, a nurse took my BP (arm hanging down :whistles:) and went with one reading - which was high, and she totally dramatised the whole thing - so I had a panic attack there and then.

Then I had to be monitored for a month at the doctors and by now I had a raging case of white coat (blue uniform) syndrome!

I wasn't having this BP crap, so I bought a (decent) monitor to use at home, and low and behold my BP was in the normal range - maybe a little higher than it was before the fibro, but chronic pain does up the BP a bit which is why it's important to manage pain, innit?

That, or the machine was on the blink.:roflmao:

I took it for about a week, then put the machine away and haven't taken my BP since.

Bakebeansrule
03-10-20, 09:54
I felt quite anxious because I’ve never used the machine before, couldn’t speak to anyone other than the receptionist over the phone infront of a room full of people and it all felt very wrong . I did feel very anxious but didn’t expect to see such high numbers which has caused a bit of worry. I’d managed to get a grip of my anxiety then this is threatening to set it off again.

It wouldn’t have come down that fast if it was constantly high would it?

Bakebeansrule
05-10-20, 16:37
I went to the drs and checked mine again today
151/80
120/70

then checked it at my parents and it was
117/80

do these sound ok? I’m still quite worried about seeing such high numbers on Friday.

Joystick
25-02-21, 15:52
I had a similar problem, Nora B. Practice nurse took BP, said it was high and gave me a very serious talk about medication including how much I would have to take if I left it and had a heart attack/stroke. I've never enjoyed having it taken; I know I have white/blue coat syndrome but, because she was so insistent, I agreed to medication and she prescribed calcium channel blockers. I took these for two weeks - from day 3 I felt as though 'nothing' was happening in my body - it was almost like waiting for the next heart beat. My digestive system siezed up altogether which peeved me because as an IBS-C sufferer I had just weaned myself off Laxido and things had been working normally for a few months. After two weeks I took the tablets back and said I was not going to take them any more, nor anything else. They gave me a BP monitor for a week and the readings came down after about 3 days to a reasonable level but higher than ideal. At that point the practice nurse agreed we could accept it was OK for the time being but we will check again in March - so shortly. During February I have become more and more anxious about having to go through all this again. In the meantime I bought my own BP monitor and got my readings down to a decent level. However, once they reached a good level I stopped monitoring as I don't want this to become obsessive. Now I have developed a fear of the monitor - even just looking at the damn thing. I know I need to start taking it myself shortly to 'desensitise' myself from the effect but I really don't want to. You can't win can you? I dread to think what she might prescribe next and what effect it would have. Better just grit my teeth and have a go I suppose - it's bound to take the month for me to come off the blasted ceiling. Any tips for desensitising more than welcome!

peter9
25-02-21, 18:12
no one can make you take pills or do your blood pressure, just refuse,i do as i no its going to be high, i use to take it at home but found i got anxiety looking at the machine so i dont do it, if you feel fine you will be, ive had readings from 220/120 to 120/80 and everything inbetween,depends what time of day, what you ate,anxiety,no sleep anything really, the side effects of 5 pills i was on were intorable so stopped them and feel much better and no stress . not a clue what mine is, eat well,lose weight if necessary ,

Fishmanpa
25-02-21, 18:32
no one can make you take pills or do your blood pressure, just refuse,i do

I realize this is an old thread but that's just not good advice. There are many here who worry about their blood pressure and many who self test and monitor for no reason. I discourage that unless your doctor asks you to do so. Otherwise, it can and does become an obsession and food for the dragon. The OP is on a medication that warrants monitoring according to a medical professional. I have pre-existing conditions, take meds and have been told to monitor, especially since a dosage change recently.

You're correct in no one can make the OP take a pill or monitor BP, but in this case it's prudent to do so, especially since the doctor recommended it. The key is to relax. If you're monitoring at home as I do, put the cuff on and relax for 5 minutes or so, then take it. Do it three times and typically, especially if you're anxious, the lowest will be the most accurate.

Positive thoughts

swajj
26-02-21, 09:16
no one can make you take pills or do your blood pressure, just refuse,i do as i no its going to be high, i use to take it at home but found i got anxiety looking at the machine so i dont do it, if you feel fine you will be, ive had readings from 220/120 to 120/80 and everything inbetween,depends what time of day, what you ate,anxiety,no sleep anything really, the side effects of 5 pills i was on were intorable so stopped them and feel much better and no stress . not a clue what mine is, eat well,lose weight if necessary ,

What you are describing is uncontrolled blood pressure. Uncontrolled blood pressure can lead to a stroke. I’d rather take the meds than take the risk.

Lolalee1
26-02-21, 11:05
UMy Aunt ate healthy never smoked or drank exercised on a daily basis,her blood pressure was all over the place she tried the “no pill bullshit” and died from a massive stroke,so if I were you I would take the meds.

Joystick
13-03-21, 16:03
Thanks, Peter - you are right but it is known as 'the silent killer' and I feel it would be irresponsible of me not to take any notice of it. I actually took mine yesterda - first time since last year - and I concentrated on something else while I took it. First reading was high, second better and third 144/80 which is good enough for me. When the surgery come back to me I shall tell them I know what my BP is and that, provided it stays down there, I don't need any assistance. I would hate to think of having, say, a stroke and my better half having to look after me - possibly for a long time.

Joystick
13-03-21, 16:04
Thanks, Lolalee - I am keeping an eye on it myself and will take it every so often just to check - that way if anything is amiss I can do something about it.

Joystick
13-03-21, 16:06
I know what you mean, swajj - as I've said to Lolalee1, I will now keep an eye on it - every three months or so - and if anything seems wrong I shall consult my GP. Better safe than sorry. Thanks to you all for responding.

Joystick
13-03-21, 16:08
Thanks for your response, Fishmanpa - I agree but will now continue to monitor my own and let the dr know if anything seems amiss. BP is something you cannot ignore - best to know. I find distraction works for me - it soon comes down then.

Brian_VA
13-03-21, 19:42
I asked a Dr this exact question last week. The answer was anxiety can definitely impact BP results and he says that all the time at his office. The lowest number is more realistic of your actual BP