PDA

View Full Version : Scotland goes back into lockdown 7pm Friday

Pages : [1] 2

phil06
05-10-20, 23:41
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6126178/coronavirus-scotland-lockdown-sturgeon-circuit-breaker/amp/

Any tips for people in Scotland who will struggle with mental health due to possible 5 mile travel limits and close downs again?

Pamplemousse
05-10-20, 23:59
So far no-one else is reporting this.

phil06
06-10-20, 00:00
So far no-one else is reporting this.

Times now reporting it

https://twitter.com/thetimesscot/status/1313244607334035461?s=21

:( sad if true

Gary A
06-10-20, 00:00
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6126178/coronavirus-scotland-lockdown-sturgeon-circuit-breaker/amp/

Any tips for people in Scotland who will struggle with mental health due to possible 5 mile travel limits and close downs again?

Yes. Just get on with it.

We were in almost complete lockdown for 3 months, two weeks is nothing compared to that. We still don’t know if this is definitely happening, and if it does we don’t know how far the restrictions will go.

Let’s see what this entails before we start hitting the panic button.

MyNameIsTerry
06-10-20, 05:51

We were in almost complete lockdown for 3 months, two weeks is nothing compared to that. We still don’t know if this is definitely happening, and if it does we don’t know how far the restrictions will go.

Or join the SNP party and hope no one finds out you have been flouting your FMs rules :winks:

On a serious note, it's not going to be any worse than before and you adapted to that much longer period as Gary says, phil.

How did you cope? What helped? What didn't?

NoraB
06-10-20, 07:07
I get my info from the BBC. Nothing on there.

We have a holiday booked for Scotland in 3 weeks. I've been telling Hubs it's up the shitter for weeks, but he's still hopeful - despite his dad dying (as I type this) and a funeral to arrange.:huh:

pulisa
06-10-20, 08:15
I'm so sorry, Nora...He's in denial and clinging to anything he can to put off thinking about the inevitable xx

I thought you were having to stay at home due to your anxiety anyway, Phil?

ankietyjoe
06-10-20, 09:36
I'm so sorry, Nora...He's in denial and clinging to anything he can to put off thinking about the inevitable xx

I thought you were having to stay at home due to your anxiety anyway, Phil?

I recall that Phil likes to travel. His anxiety might not apply there? :shrug:

Pamplemousse
06-10-20, 13:23
I get my info from the BBC. Nothing on there.

We have a holiday booked for Scotland in 3 weeks. I've been telling Hubs it's up the shitter for weeks, but he's still hopeful - despite his dad dying (as I type this) and a funeral to arrange.:huh:

There is now, and it's nothing like what the Murdoch rags said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54434561

New coronavirus restrictions for Scotland will be announced on Wednesday - but it will not be another full lockdown, Nicola Sturgeon has said.
Options for a so-called "circuit-breaker" to slow the spread of the virus were discussed by the Scottish cabinet on Tuesday morning.
The first minister said people would not be told to stay at home, and there would be no national travel ban.

Scass
06-10-20, 13:43
If it does happen Phil I expect you’ll still be working like you did before, so I don’t think much should change. It’s just the psychological impact on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lencoboy
06-10-20, 14:23
There is now, and it's nothing like what the Murdoch rags said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54434561

In a nutshell, 'Lockdown-lite'.

I wonder if England, Wales and NI may follow suit?

I don't really think a second full lockdown like March-May would work this time round, as many would simply rebel against it, and policing it would no doubt pose an even bigger challenge now than last time.

Lencoboy
06-10-20, 14:31

I agree with you Gary.

It will probably be a walk in the park compared to the previous (full) lockdown back in the spring. Especially as a lot more is now known about the virus than back then.

According to the BBC article, Nicky Sturgeon has reiterated that it won't be like the situation back in March-May.

Fingers crossed for the vaccines to come soon.

WiseMonkey
06-10-20, 21:51
We were in the Scottish Highlands this time in 2014, while also visiting relative in England. How times have changed, just can't imagine ever doing it again :(

AntsyVee
07-10-20, 00:26
You all, remember all the lockdowns I've been through here in CA? You all will get through this too. Take it one day at a time and try not to obsess. :hugs:

phil06
07-10-20, 19:35
So back into lockdown pubs bowling restaurants bingo all closed. Why do we have the worst politicians in this country? England set to follow. Only Labour oppose if only we had them in power. They don’t care about cineworld going under or the pub redundancies announced today it’s all about control.

pulisa
07-10-20, 19:42
It's not lockdown, Phil. Just some restrictions which are hardly "draconian".

As for "control"...It's an inconvenience to your routine, I'm sure but you're hardly under curfew.

phil06
07-10-20, 19:46

As for "control"...It's an inconvenience to your routine, I'm sure but you're hardly under curfew.

We have avoid public transport message too. Everything other than shops and gyms shut so it is a lockdown.

AntsyVee
07-10-20, 20:44
You'll be okay, Phil. We went through this for months. It sucks, but it really does keep the infections down.

MyNameIsTerry
08-10-20, 01:15
Sturgeon has announced £40m to help industry.

I'm glad the 2m rule is making a comeback. Once they dropped that I saw many people not bother at all. And putting pressure on business who have also relaxed is a good thing.

It's harsh on the pubs but they will be one of the big factors. Just look at the pictures of idiots in city centres not following any of the rules.

Labour are a dying breed in Scotland. It's up to you guys whether you want to keep endorsing Nicola's quest for independence. The last GE only instructed her to push harder.

Lencoboy
08-10-20, 16:24

I agree that it's not about 'control'.

People were saying the very same things about New Labour 12 years ago during the Global Financial Crisis and of course various other 'crises' before it.

I wonder if Phil was one of those people (dare I ask)?

Lencoboy
08-10-20, 16:29
Sturgeon has announced £40m to help industry.

I'm glad the 2m rule is making a comeback. Once they dropped that I saw many people not bother at all. And putting pressure on business who have also relaxed is a good thing.

It's harsh on the pubs but they will be one of the big factors. Just look at the pictures of idiots in city centres not following any of the rules.

Labour are a dying breed in Scotland. It's up to you guys whether you want to keep endorsing Nicola's quest for independence. The last GE only instructed her to push harder.

I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph, Terry.

I thought the supermarkets made a big mistake ditching the store marshals, one-way systems and 2-metre distancing rules. Same also with the govt starting to let people have holidays abroad again.

Now look at what's happening!

fishman65
08-10-20, 19:25

I thought the supermarkets made a big mistake ditching the store marshals, one-way systems and 2-metre distancing rules. Same also with the govt starting to let people have holidays abroad again.

Now look at what's happening!Tbh Lencoboy I see apathy towards covid everywhere now. In my own family for a start. I went to my Dad's this morning after phoning him first. I got there and he told me he had a headache and felt shivery, I just wish he'd told me first. I relayed this to my son on the phone and I could almost hear the sigh. Wife and daughter too are both fed up with it. And they think I'm not? 'All in this together' has gone stale.

MyNameIsTerry
09-10-20, 05:21

Now look at what's happening!

Yeah, I agree. The door marshals, one way systems and shopper spacing were good. Sadly it costs them money so they do it when they are told. Just like the limiting of sales of certain products.

I hardly see anyone cleaning their hands up in entry. Till staff don't either which is just stupid.

Lencoboy
09-10-20, 09:26
Tbh Lencoboy I see apathy towards covid everywhere now. In my own family for a start. I went to my Dad's this morning after phoning him first. I got there and he told me he had a headache and felt shivery, I just wish he'd told me first. I relayed this to my son on the phone and I could almost hear the sigh. Wife and daughter too are both fed up with it. And they think I'm not? 'All in this together' has gone stale.

I totally agree that the 'all in this together' thing has now sadly gone out the window and many seem to have stopped caring. And the UK is not alone, the same is also happening across much of mainland Europe.

And those Covidiots can whinge and moan to their heart's content about the restrictions to come in England next week, when they're the ones who essentially asked for them themselves by deliberately failing to stick to the rules.

Now we're all having to suffer because of them!!

phil06
09-10-20, 15:35
I totally agree that the 'all in this together' thing has now sadly gone out the window and many seem to have stopped caring. And the UK is not alone, the same is also happening across much of mainland Europe.

And those Covidiots can whinge and moan to their heart's content about the restrictions to come in England next week, when they're the ones who essentially asked for them themselves by deliberately failing to stick to the rules.

Now we're all having to suffer because of them!!

I read a while back about psychology is having an effect. For example it’s unnatural for humans not to hug or shake hands. What they are asking is very difficult and not sustainable in the long term. I read a post a while back how most “Corona viruses” settle down into society. A vaccine they say won’t get rid of it it may always be a risk but a small one. Lockdowns are not going to work long term and as time goes on less people will listen.

Lencoboy
09-10-20, 19:48
I read a while back about psychology is having an effect. For example it’s unnatural for humans not to hug or shake hands. What they are asking is very difficult and not sustainable in the long term. I read a post a while back how most “Corona viruses” settle down into society. A vaccine they say won’t get rid of it it may always be a risk but a small one. Lockdowns are not going to work long term and as time goes on less people will listen.

It's by no means gospel that vaccines won't get rid of the virus (or that they will, obviously). We just have to wait and see.

I think you need to pay less attention to the serial antivaxxers, conspiracy theorists and the fake news-mongers, and seek info from the more reliable, trustworthy sources.

I feel just as frustrated and demoralised as you (and many others) right now, but unfortunately it's a situation that still remains beyond our control, and that's the way it is until things finally start to change for the better, which I'm positive they will eventually.

Pamplemousse
09-10-20, 20:04
At the moment, I am trying to help a young man on another forum who has concluded that social distancing and the wearing of masks will be permanent and only complete suppression will eliminate the virus.

I'm really at a loss at how to point him in the right direction to overcome this fear.

pulisa
09-10-20, 20:38
I suspect it will be an impossible task, PM..despite your best efforts.

AntsyVee
09-10-20, 21:13
Unfortunately, I think social distancing and mask wearing will be around for awhile. But it's not the end of the world.

MyNameIsTerry
10-10-20, 05:06
It's by no means gospel that vaccines won't get rid of the virus (or that they will, obviously). We just have to wait and see.

I think you need to pay less attention to the serial antivaxxers, conspiracy theorists and the fake news-mongers, and seek info from the more reliable, trustworthy sources.

I feel just as frustrated and demoralised as you (and many others) right now, but unfortunately it's a situation that still remains beyond our control, and that's the way it is until things finally start to change for the better, which I'm positive they will eventually.

It's ok since we should have excellent stocks of vaccine from the UK and EU countries given America's Nancy Pelosi is concerned about our lower standards. I don't think she realises our standards match a minimum in the EU until at least next year and the EMA themselves, until recently having to transfer back into an EU country, were based in London (and many staff have remained here).

So I assume she also won't accept vaccines from any EU country given their lower standards?

Funny really when over here the debate rages about a deal with the US and concerns we could lower our standards to allow their food in. That's regulated by the FDA? And the reason we currently won't import it is the EU standards prevent it.

Apologies to our American friends on here. I'm sure when our politicians talk about your issues they are just as clueless. :winks:

Lencoboy
10-10-20, 13:14
They were discussing on the BBC News over lunchtime that the forthcoming restrictions in England to be announced on Monday are likely to be a 'three-tier' arrangement. with areas in the highest 'third-tier' status (greatest number of infections) will have the greatest restrictions, but AFAIK still not the 'full Monty' of lockdown restrictions we faced back in late March-May.

I don't think my area is currently 'third-tier' level though.

glassgirlw
10-10-20, 14:42
It's ok since we should have excellent stocks of vaccine from the UK and EU countries given America's Nancy Pelosi is concerned about our lower standards. I don't think she realises our standards match a minimum in the EU until at least next year and the EMA themselves, until recently having to transfer back into an EU country, were based in London (and many staff have remained here).

So I assume she also won't accept vaccines from any EU country given their lower standards?

Funny really when over here the debate rages about a deal with the US and concerns we could lower our standards to allow their food in. That's regulated by the FDA? And the reason we currently won't import it is the EU standards prevent it.

Apologies to our American friends on here. I'm sure when our politicians talk about your issues they are just as clueless. :winks:

To be fair I don’t think the US should be bragging to anyone about our “standards” given the current situation we find ourselves in. And I live here!!! Also Pelosi is a raving lunatic so there’s that lol. Seriously considering defecting to another country at this point :roflmao:and depending on what happens with the election in November that just may become reality haha.

Gary A
10-10-20, 23:57
At the moment, I am trying to help a young man on another forum who has concluded that social distancing and the wearing of masks will be permanent and only complete suppression will eliminate the virus.

I'm really at a loss at how to point him in the right direction to overcome this fear.

There has never, in the entire time the human race has existed on this planet, been a pandemic or epidemic that altered civilisation for any length of notable time.

This is merely a dropped stitch. This pandemic will last around 18 months and will be quickly suppressed by vaccines and treatments. This particular coronavirus is now most likely endemic, but in a few years time it will be about as noteworthy as a common cold.

We just don’t have enough technology to combat a virus that has existed for less than one year, but we will catch up with it eventually.

AntsyVee
11-10-20, 05:39
It really depends on the state you live in here in the us. The states who have governors and voters who believe in science and public safety are doing much better than the ones who don't, IMO.

AntsyVee
11-10-20, 05:43
There has never, in the entire time the human race has existed on this planet, been a pandemic or epidemic that altered civilisation for any length of notable time.

This is merely a dropped stitch. This pandemic will last around 18 months and will be quickly suppressed by vaccines and treatments. This particular coronavirus is now most likely endemic, but in a few years time it will be about as noteworthy as a common cold.

We just don’t have enough technology to combat a virus that has existed for less than one year, but we will catch up with it eventually.

Sorry, Gary, I'm gonna have to disagree with this one, on the historical aspects. Definitely the bubonic plague in the 1300s altered civilization. Tuberculosis altered the 1800s and early 1900s. I would argue smallpox and polio as well. I think AIDS altered civilization too. CV will alter our society, but I agree that it doesn't mean the ends of our society. The only constant in life is change. We will adapt to this disease as we have adapted to countless others. It all takes times.

Lencoboy
11-10-20, 11:01
Sorry, Gary, I'm gonna have to disagree with this one, on the historical aspects. Definitely the bubonic plague in the 1300s altered civilization. Tuberculosis altered the 1800s and early 1900s. I would argue smallpox and polio as well. I think AIDS altered civilization too. CV will alter our society, but I agree that it doesn't mean the ends of our society. The only constant in life is change. We will adapt to this disease as we have adapted to countless others. It all takes times.

I know it's like comparing apples with oranges but it's often been mentioned that AIDS caused a lot of widespread hysteria back in the 80s and there were even tales of persons being infected by means other than intercourse, some seemingly random and inexplicable.

Yet most of us still carried on as per normal, there were no 'restrictions' nor daily detailed confirmations of AIDS infection rates, hospitalisations and deaths.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attempting to trivialise Covid in any way but it's worth remembering that there's still plenty of other things out there that are potentially detrimental to our health and lives, yet we don't usually tend to give them a second thought!

Pamplemousse
11-10-20, 11:10
I know it's like comparing apples with oranges but it's often been mentioned that AIDS caused a lot of widespread hysteria back in the 80s and there were even tales of persons being infected by means other than intercourse, some seemingly random and inexplicable.

I remember the hysteria well, I was in my early twenties at the time. It was dismissed as a "gay plague" at the time, some even welcomed it as God smiting the Sodomites. Until it started spreading amongst heterosexuals.

The other vector for transmission was infected blood in transfusions: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jul/11/what-is-the-contaminated-blood-scandal

Pamplemousse
11-10-20, 11:15
I suspect it will be an impossible task, PM..despite your best efforts.

An update on this, Pulisa. The person concerned is nigh-on hysterical about this and despite my efforts to point him in the direction of various self-help sites (anxiety.org.uk even has a section on so-called 'coronanxiety') it doesn't seem to be helping. He's been under attack on another forum for posting his views; some of the posts there have been distinctly unpleasant. He's losing any rational thought process in this; he's convinced that mask-wearing and social distancing will be permanent. He doesn't want to wear a mask either if at all possible due to health reasons.

I'm beginning to find his situation rather upsetting to myself, which in turn makes me feel selfish...

pulisa
11-10-20, 13:42
You don't know who this person is, PM..Could well be a troll just winding people up because he/she can.

Look after your own wellbeing and move away? He's obviously keen to stick around on forums where he's getting abuse which begs the question..why?

Pamplemousse
11-10-20, 14:21
You don't know who this person is, PM..Could well be a troll just winding people up because he/she can.

Look after your own wellbeing and move away? He's obviously keen to stick around on forums where he's getting abuse which begs the question..why?

No, I don't think so; I've been around on the Internet long before there were web forums and I'm good at troll-spotting - and he's really, really struggling.

Like all of us, he just wants answers. It's just he sees this as the end of the world. Pre-Covid his posts were interesting, intelligent and rational.

Lencoboy
11-10-20, 15:48
No, I don't think so; I've been around on the Internet long before there were web forums and I'm good at troll-spotting - and he's really, really struggling.

Like all of us, he just wants answers. It's just he sees this as the end of the world. Pre-Covid his posts were interesting, intelligent and rational.

I sense (ir)rationality deja vu right now with many, especially after reading this post.

I know quite a few people who prior to the Global Financial Crisis were quite down to earth, rational, and had a good sense of humour. All changed for the worse from 2008 onwards, even though they weren't seriously affected by said crisis themselves. They suddenly became far more right-wing in their political views, and increasingly negative and highly opinionated about contemporary society and the state of the world in general.

Ditto the EU Referendum in June 2016.

And no doubt Covid in 2020.

I think many got unduly swept up in a lot of the frenzied hysteria fuelled by the media in the case of the GFC (especially the alarmist propaganda and probable 'fake news' spewed out by the right-leaning rags at the time), which kind of became a self-fulfilling prophecy with a blatant anti-Labour agenda IMO.

Lencoboy
11-10-20, 16:05
I remember the hysteria well, I was in my early twenties at the time. It was dismissed as a "gay plague" at the time, some even welcomed it as God smiting the Sodomites. Until it started spreading amongst heterosexuals.

The other vector for transmission was infected blood in transfusions: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jul/11/what-is-the-contaminated-blood-scandal

It was (dare I say it) also speculated to have been transmitted via toilet seats in public toilet facilities, which is one of many speculative reasons why open-front type seats are the norm in public facilities in the USA, but such seats were already the norm in such facilities there well before the 80s.

God help us had the Internet, social media, 24/7 rolling news channels, etc existed during the Cold War era in the 70s and the first half of the 80s, when we on both sides of the Atlantic were quaking in our boots at the prospect of an imminent nuclear fallout.

And I was only 6 at the time of the Able Archer incident in November 1983 and blissfully oblivious to the whole thing. If that was now I'd be in a mega state of terror, hand in hand with the inevitable media meltdown!

AntsyVee
11-10-20, 17:42

Yet most of us still carried on as per normal, there were no 'restrictions' nor daily detailed confirmations of AIDS infection rates, hospitalisations and deaths.

I think that depended on where we lived as well. We definitely had restrictions here in California, as we suffered some of the highest rates of cases in the beginning.

phil06
11-10-20, 19:00
So they are talking about a second lockdown again. Same vibes coming out of Belgium too it seems. Given a vaccine may only be for 50% of UK and also it may not rid us of the virus are they going to keep locking down? Some how I don’t think history will look at this kind. We have seen millions miss hospital treatment due to this and all the mental health issues yet they want to go full lockdown again? They have told us we are in a better place we have the extra hospitals which was never used and better treatments yet we are still locking down. Given its a long winter and we locked down In March i wouldn’t be surprised if they lock us down until summer 2021. Life will soon be a summer experience as our weak governments can’t handle this crisis well..what is everybody’s thoughts on a second very damaging lookdown?

pulisa
11-10-20, 19:44
Let's wait for the facts as opposed to believing what we read in the media and online. Remember the Daily Fail's Hyde Park morgue scenario..

How would a second lockdown affect you, Phil? What couldn't you do which would severely affect your quality of life?

phil06
11-10-20, 20:13
Let's wait for the facts as opposed to believing what we read in the media and online. Remember the Daily Fail's Hyde Park morgue scenario..

How would a second lockdown affect you, Phil? What couldn't you do which would severely affect your quality of life?

Bowling cinema pubs ect or holidays. It’s been one year since I went abroad and it looks like it will be years before I go abroad. When everything is closed it’s a real challenge as you work all week and need something to relax and wind down. Being in the house has meant I have bad more anxiety. When do you think international travel will return?

AntsyVee
11-10-20, 20:27
Wouldn't you say those are first world problems, Phil? You have food on the table, a job, your health. I think maybe you should be grateful for what you have. No international travel might cramp your lifestyle, but I think you'll survive.

phil06
11-10-20, 20:28
Wouldn't you say those are first world problems, Phil? You have food on the table, a job, your health. I think maybe you should be grateful for what you have. No international travel might cramp your lifestyle, but I think you'll survive.

This is true but you have to accept me and millions others this affects mental health. Mental health is important too.

AntsyVee
11-10-20, 20:48
Yes, mental health is important. But one thing about keeping your mental health "healthy" is your outlook and attitude. Instead of saying "Woe is me, I can't go to the riviera next weekend" look at what you can do and be thankful for that. It's time to get creative on other ways you can take a break or a vacation in your life.

pulisa
11-10-20, 20:58
This is true but you have to accept me and millions others this affects mental health. Mental health is important too.

This isn't a true mental health issue though. I haven't had a holiday as such for nearly 30 years. You expect to have holidays and that is the difference. Sometimes we can't have what we want but your generation isn't used to that.

fishman65
11-10-20, 21:17
Bowling cinema pubs ect or holidays. It’s been one year since I went abroad and it looks like it will be years before I go abroad. When everything is closed it’s a real challenge as you work all week and need something to relax and wind down. Being in the house has meant I have bad more anxiety. When do you think international travel will return?You live in Scotland Phil? How about exploring your beautiful Highlands? Some of the best scenery in the world. Walking, fishing, wildlife. Loch Ness has an incredible atmosphere and Skye is very romantic.

BlueIris
12-10-20, 04:50
This isn't a true mental health issue though. I haven't had a holiday as such for nearly 30 years. You expect to have holidays and that is the difference. Sometimes we can't have what we want but your generation isn't used to that.

Precisely. Phil, I think you may be conflating mental health with the ability to do exactly what you want, when you want.

It's a shame, certainly, but you tolerate it or find workarounds. Not sure you're aware of quite how privileged you are in these tough times not to need to worry about having a roof over your head or where the next meal's coming from.

Pamplemousse
12-10-20, 05:09

Agreed.

Consider the situation here: before I got married the future Mrs. PM was looking forward to at least an annual holiday. I dreaded the thought, because I came from a family that never took holidays. A break from work was to us, at most, a time to do jobs around the house like decorating.

Unfortunately, Mrs. PM had an accident at work that damaged her spine a month before we got married and that set off a train of events that ended... well, you know how. As a result, the only holiday she had in the next 23 years was our honeymoon; she was unable to travel afterwards. How do you think that felt to her, Phil?

Many of the people in my circle who are very vocal about the current situation seem to have one thing in common; they're unhappy because they can't do what they want to do, when they want to do. I'd stop short of calling them selfish, but I'm pretty close to it.

There is a bigger picture to be seen here.

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-20, 05:58

Yes, the poor sods dying due to contaminated blood was awful.

I remember much more about what I felt the day Freddie Mercury passed than Princess Diana. Such a sad day.

I remember that period well as I was in secondary school. The government turned it into this plague with their over the top campaigning. It came across as some evil disease lurking at every bar waiting to strike. Then gay people took the bigotry hit when it could have been put across do much better.

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-20, 06:06
You live in Scotland Phil? How about exploring your beautiful Highlands? Some of the best scenery in the world. Walking, fishing, wildlife. Loch Ness has an incredible atmosphere and Skye is very romantic.

Absolutely. I've always wanted to rent a cottage up there. My brother has on several occasions and loved it. Stayed on one loch once and had deer outside.

I'm not sure I'll be welcome up there post independence though :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-20, 06:12
Agreed.

Consider the situation here: before I got married the future Mrs. PM was looking forward to at least an annual holiday. I dreaded the thought, because I came from a family that never took holidays. A break from work was to us, at most, a time to do jobs around the house like decorating.

Unfortunately, Mrs. PM had an accident at work that damaged her spine a month before we got married and that set off a train of events that ended... well, you know how. As a result, the only holiday she had in the next 23 years was our honeymoon; she was unable to travel afterwards. How do you think that felt to her, Phil?

Many of the people in my circle who are very vocal about the current situation seem to have one thing in common; they're unhappy because they can't do what they want to do, when they want to do. I'd stop short of calling them selfish, but I'm pretty close to it.

There is a bigger picture to be seen here.

+1 to this and the other above posts.

Phil, it's challenging your beliefs. You have a habit of viewing life like a bucket list. You are now presented with a blocker. You can change how you feel by adapting to life events as others have pointed out. Sure, you will find it makes you anxious but you will get past that as you do stuff.

As for vaccination, it's about vaccinating the at risk. The rest can get a cold instead or take it to protect loved ones. Anyone who won't and has a bad case of it, tough, you knew the risks. Society can't hold your hand all your life.

How many don't have a flu jab? That goes around every year and kills lots of vulnerable people. But by breaking as many chains as possible they cut this down significantly.

Lencoboy
12-10-20, 09:54

I agree 100 per cent Pulisa.

I still can't fathom why certain individuals still consider holidays abroad a god-given right in this current climate. Especially those who constantly moan about Britain being crap and the 'laughing stock of the world', whilst conversely perceiving say, Spain, as far superior and looking at said country with rose-tinted specs, who have hardly escaped Covid (and the GFC back in the late 2000s) themselves, contrary to many popular myths!

I think one of the biggest issues with today's society is the 'instant grat' culture of 'want here, want now', and we often consider being deprived of 'luxuries' like holidays and going to pubs/clubs, bowling alleys, cinemas, theatres, live music concerts, and even major shopping excursions in city centres a major hardship.

We should all be grateful of the very basics like food in the cupboards/ fridges/freezers, running water to drink, wash and flush our toilets with, and of course, a roof over our head.

BlueIris
12-10-20, 10:01
I'd also argue that mental health isn't about having your every desire catered to, but about having the resilience to cope when things don't go the way you want.

Lencoboy
12-10-20, 10:15
Yes, the poor sods dying due to contaminated blood was awful.

I remember much more about what I felt the day Freddie Mercury passed than Princess Diana. Such a sad day.

I remember that period well as I was in secondary school. The government turned it into this plague with their over the top campaigning. It came across as some evil disease lurking at every bar waiting to strike. Then gay people took the bigotry hit when it could have been put across do much better.

Re Freddie Mercury's death in late 1991, that was still the time when deaths of major celebrities actually carried real weight without the major media hype and everyone jumping on the 'false grief' bandwagon just for the sake of 'keeping up with the Joneses' which IMO that particular rot started with the death of Princess Diana in 1997, which obviously coincided with the start of 24/7 rolling news channels soon after and of course the Internet about to enter the mainstream after (then) previously being more of an 'elite/cult' medium.

Lencoboy
12-10-20, 11:09
I'd also argue that mental health isn't about having your every desire catered to, but about having the resilience to cope when things don't go the way you want.

It does also make me wonder how a lot of today's generation would cope if they had to endure a lot of the disruptions and shortcomings of say, the 70s, such as regular lengthy power cuts, shortages of petrol/diesel and many other things we take for granted today, endless 'downing tools' (sometimes over the most trivial of matters), far more frequent 'Beasts from the East', far more instances of thick fog in autumn/winter, people smoking indoors nearly everywhere with impunity, lax H & S/security in many situations, constant terror threats from the likes of the IRA, Baader-Meinhoff, etc, constant threat of nuclear fallout, casual racism, sexism and disability slurs often being glorified, especially by comedians and the like, dire public toilet facilities, you name it.

BlueIris
12-10-20, 11:16
I don't think you're necessarily being fair on the young people of today, Lenco, and I'd argue that you're making a lot of sweeping generalisations.

pulisa
12-10-20, 14:00
My parents were 18 when World War 2 broke out and both joined up. They didn't complain or moan..they did what they had to do. My mother got used to anticipating air raids and not knowing whether they would survive the day/night. It must have been horrendous.

Such a lot is taken for granted now and people have no idea what hardship actually is.

Lencoboy
12-10-20, 15:28
I don't think you're necessarily being fair on the young people of today, Lenco, and I'd argue that you're making a lot of sweeping generalisations.

I understand I was being a bit harsh and even a bit hypocritical as I myself often get a bit cheesed off with a lot of the 'young people today'-bashing.

Although I wasn't specifically referring to just 'young people' per se, I should have worded it a bit different with something like 'society today' instead perhaps.

BlueIris
12-10-20, 15:32
Thanks. We live in different times with different expectations, and I'm honestly torn - I wish people in general weren't so petulant, but I'm glad we have all the wonderful things we didn't a few decades back.

Scass
12-10-20, 15:49

You can try and help people PM, but if it’s having an effect on your mental health then you need to step back.

Lencoboy
12-10-20, 16:00
You can try and help people PM, but if it’s having an effect on your mental health then you need to step back.

For the most part I've been (within reason) avoiding the news and all things Covid since last Friday, which has resulted in me feeling far less intense.

I shall still be heeding whatever new restrictions are announced this week and continuing to stick to the existing ones in place.

Pamplemousse
12-10-20, 17:19
At the moment I'm at work, again my throat feels a bit rough, I'm not sure if I'm hot because I've been running around like a blue-arsed fly for much of the afternoon, I foolishly volunteered to come in tomorrow and I just feel like bursting into tears because I can't cope.

Lencoboy
12-10-20, 20:15
At the moment I'm at work, again my throat feels a bit rough, I'm not sure if I'm hot because I've been running around like a blue-arsed fly for much of the afternoon, I foolishly volunteered to come in tomorrow and I just feel like bursting into tears because I can't cope.

I've had a bit of a thickly throat today myself, but no persistent dry coughs, no loss of taste/smell, nor a high temperature.

BlueIris, Like you, I also appreciate a lot of the wonderful things we have today that were still largely undreamed of a few decades ago.

But sadly, there are still, and probably always will be ungrateful people of all ages who are petulant, self-centred and get their knickers in a twist over not being able to do things that most people, especially before the 90s, were unable to do without having to fork out loads of dosh, such as foreign travel multiple times per year.

And many of the other things we now take for granted, like colour TV sets, disc players, computers, cars, etc, were mega expensive compared to today, and most people had to save up for them for months or even years, but on the plus side, they were probably valued far more, and were ironically designed and built to last, unlike most of today's consumer goods.

Pamplemousse
12-10-20, 22:04
Well, the extra day of work I was supposed to do tomorrow disappeared after about four hours of being asked to do it and I am delighted. Day's pay or a chance to get my head straight? I'll take the latter, ta. Day in bed for me.

I am wondering if the rough throat is from (a) overdoing things whilst masked and (b) the copious amounts of hand sanitiser in use - nearly everything I touch at work is sanitised.

Picking up on something Lencoboy has said in the post above; pretty much since the introduction of colour in 1967 a good colour television has always been around £350. Now, run that figure past the Bank Of England inflation calculator (https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator) and be seated when you do so!

MyNameIsTerry
13-10-20, 05:22
My parents were 18 when World War 2 broke out and both joined up. They didn't complain or moan..they did what they had to do. My mother got used to anticipating air raids and not knowing whether they would survive the day/night. It must have been horrendous.

Such a lot is taken for granted now and people have no idea what hardship actually is.

I agree. As Vee said, first world problems. And the more people have grown up having the more they will resent not having them. As Blue points out it is a sweeping generalisation, every generation has complainers, but a big % of today's world are growing up used to luxury. If you grow up in a poor nation naturally a greater number of people are more used to hardship and will wonder what we are complaining about. Our parents and grandparents understand that as despite the ramblings of certain newspapers who think it's worse today our parents remember the days of no central heating and hand-me-down make do & mend culture. Those living in our countries in poverty just want food as opposed to an iPhone. They understand hardship. Many of all ages do a life has reminded them of it's fragility whether you are 50 getting cancer or a 12 year carer for your parent.

Facebook crashes for a day. Mass hysteria. Service restored and they all have something new to discuss. Somewhere in a poor nation your village well pump stops working. Walk miles to another? Die?

First world problems. How lucky we are.

The lockdown hits some harder than others but doesn't life? Suicide rises because of a new reason but someone vulnerable would face the same due to death in the family, relationship breakups, redundancy, etc. The pandemic is not special in this respect and quite frankly I'll put up with of this of years of grief from losing a loved one.

It has been pointed out that substance misusers are struggling. That's nothing to do with a pandemic. It's stress. See above. The problem is the lack of support and perhaps removal of a crutch? But again, see above. Good luck getting support for losing your wife like Pamplemousse has, you go into the mental health queue like us all. If you are an addict, it's another problem.

I've seen it said on here how the sudden isolation affects substance misusers. Just like us. If your work is a crutch, that's not a good thing. I made that mistake and learned from it when the work obsession, or rather me avoiding confronting what was lurking beneath, got to the point I went of work. Then came more spiralling.

Manage the fallout, don't try to avoid it by sacrificing another vulnerable group.

Lencoboy
13-10-20, 10:55
I agree. As Vee said, first world problems. And the more people have grown up having the more they will resent not having them. As Blue points out it is a sweeping generalisation, every generation has complainers, but a big % of today's world are growing up used to luxury. If you grow up in a poor nation naturally a greater number of people are more used to hardship and will wonder what we are complaining about. Our parents and grandparents understand that as despite the ramblings of certain newspapers who think it's worse today our parents remember the days of no central heating and hand-me-down make do & mend culture. Those living in our countries in poverty just want food as opposed to an iPhone. They understand hardship. Many of all ages do a life has reminded them of it's fragility whether you are 50 getting cancer or a 12 year carer for your parent.

Facebook crashes for a day. Mass hysteria. Service restored and they all have something new to discuss. Somewhere in a poor nation your village well pump stops working. Walk miles to another? Die?

First world problems. How lucky we are.

The lockdown hits some harder than others but doesn't life? Suicide rises because of a new reason but someone vulnerable would face the same due to death in the family, relationship breakups, redundancy, etc. The pandemic is not special in this respect and quite frankly I'll put up with of this of years of grief from losing a loved one.

It has been pointed out that substance misusers are struggling. That's nothing to do with a pandemic. It's stress. See above. The problem is the lack of support and perhaps removal of a crutch? But again, see above. Good luck getting support for losing your wife like Pamplemousse has, you go into the mental health queue like us all. If you are an addict, it's another problem.

I've seen it said on here how the sudden isolation affects substance misusers. Just like us. If your work is a crutch, that's not a good thing. I made that mistake and learned from it when the work obsession, or rather me avoiding confronting what was lurking beneath, got to the point I went of work. Then came more spiralling.

Manage the fallout, don't try to avoid it by sacrificing another vulnerable group.

You're dead right Terry!!

Without trivialising this pandemic in any way, most of the social problems within today's society were already there in some form or another well before this year, and this pandemic is probably the latest in a long line of 'scapegoats', as before it was Brexit, Trump, (Tory) austerity measures, the GFC, ISIS/AQ, chavs/hoodies, asylum seekers, benefit cheats, you name it.

Every decade has had its plusses and minuses. For instance, many people of my generation (Gen X) often get nostalgic about the 90s. Yes we were younger and more carefree back then and life seemed simpler and less restrictive generally but there were still plenty of problems both in the UK and the rest of the world during that particular decade, most of which are now disowned and largely forgotten about, unlike the 2000s and 2010s which seem to be remembered more for their problems rather that their often-overlooked strengths, which I suppose could well be a combo of both significant technological advances over the past 20 years (especially with mass communication technologies) and confirmation bias.

Back on topic, Boris's announcements for England's forthcoming restrictions yesterday afternoon blatantly reiterated that they are NOT a second full-on nationwide lockdown, but according to a '3-level' of severity system, medium, high and very high.

MyNameIsTerry
14-10-20, 05:50
You're dead right Terry!!

Without trivialising this pandemic in any way, most of the social problems within today's society were already there in some form or another well before this year, and this pandemic is probably the latest in a long line of 'scapegoats', as before it was Brexit, Trump, (Tory) austerity measures, the GFC, ISIS/AQ, chavs/hoodies, asylum seekers, benefit cheats, you name it.

Every decade has had its plusses and minuses. For instance, many people of my generation (Gen X) often get nostalgic about the 90s. Yes we were younger and more carefree back then and life seemed simpler and less restrictive generally but there were still plenty of problems both in the UK and the rest of the world during that particular decade, most of which are now disowned and largely forgotten about, unlike the 2000s and 2010s which seem to be remembered more for their problems rather that their often-overlooked strengths, which I suppose could well be a combo of both significant technological advances over the past 20 years (especially with mass communication technologies) and confirmation bias.

Back on topic, Boris's announcements for England's forthcoming restrictions yesterday afternoon blatantly reiterated that they are NOT a second full-on nationwide lockdown, but according to a '3-level' of severity system, medium, high and very high.

I'm a Genx too. I remember the rave days. Drugs, teenage pregnancy, getting drunk and town centre gang fighting.

I do think I was lucky growing up in the age where you picked up a football and played in the street with your mates, rode a bike. I didn't need so many 'friends' worldwide online and likes to qualify as cool. But we did have trainer snobbery!

I wonder whether millenials will reach their 40s to be more worldly because of their exposure to tech? Or weakened by it? But millenials, like all of us, have now fallen out if favour and become the same old farts they saw us for as younger generations think of them as the new embarrassing dad :roflmao:

Lencoboy
14-10-20, 17:43
I'm a Genx too. I remember the rave days. Drugs, teenage pregnancy, getting drunk and town centre gang fighting.

I do think I was lucky growing up in the age where you picked up a football and played in the street with your mates, rode a bike. I didn't need so many 'friends' worldwide online and likes to qualify as cool. But we did have trainer snobbery!

I wonder whether millenials will reach their 40s to be more worldly because of their exposure to tech? Or weakened by it? But millenials, like all of us, have now fallen out if favour and become the same old farts they saw us for as younger generations think of them as the new embarrassing dad :roflmao:

Re your first paragraph, I remember those very same things too, raves, drugs, teen pregnancies and excessive promiscuity, binge drinking and smoking (especially underage), gang fights in town centres and on housing estates, general anti-social behaviour and not forgetting joyriding, and the original moral panics surrounding them.

And then they'll say 'But there was no such thing as knife crime back then'.

I'm pretty sure there was knife crime back then, but I don't think the media made such a big deal out of it then to the extent they do now, and kept such incidents lower key, though I remember the cities of Manchester and Nottingham were both nicknamed Gunchester and Shottingham, respectively, due to their alleged gun crime epidemics back in the 90s.

There were also ongoing moral panics about video nasties in the 90s, especially following the James Bulger incident in early 1993.

Back on topic, what we're having from today onwards, most notably in the tier 3 zones, is basically 'Lockdown-lite'.

MyNameIsTerry
14-10-20, 21:21
Re your first paragraph, I remember those very same things too, raves, drugs, teen pregnancies and excessive promiscuity, binge drinking and smoking (especially underage), gang fights in town centres and on housing estates, general anti-social behaviour and not forgetting joyriding, and the original moral panics surrounding them.

And then they'll say 'But there was no such thing as knife crime back then'.

I'm pretty sure there was knife crime back then, but I don't think the media made such a big deal out of it then to the extent they do now, and kept such incidents lower key, though I remember the cities of Manchester and Nottingham were both nicknamed Gunchester and Shottingham, respectively, due to their alleged gun crime epidemics back in the 90s.

There were also ongoing moral panics about video nasties in the 90s, especially following the James Bulger incident in early 1993.

Back on topic, what we're having from today onwards, most notably in the tier 3 zones, is basically 'Lockdown-lite'.

Yes, there was plenty of knife crime. I remember standing in a city centre pub seeing a gang over from Birmingham with machetes under coats. There was plenty about crime ridden estates and tower blocks too that dramas based their storylines.

I forgot about the joy riding. Remember JCBs ripping out cash point machines and ram raiding? Still plenty of football hooliganism in those days too.

AntsyVee
15-10-20, 00:26
Without trivialising this pandemic in any way, most of the social problems within today's society were already there in some form or another well before this year, and this pandemic is probably the latest in a long line of 'scapegoats', as before it was Brexit, Trump, (Tory) austerity measures, the GFC, ISIS/AQ, chavs/hoodies, asylum seekers, benefit cheats, you name it--Lencoboy

As LB said, social problems have always been around, but each new crisis exacerbates them, which is what COVID has done in my opinion. I keep wondering what major crisis will finally cause our leaders to finally take on solving social problems instead of sweeping them under the rug?

MyNameIsTerry
15-10-20, 01:20
--Lencoboy

As LB said, social problems have always been around, but each new crisis exacerbates them, which is what COVID has done in my opinion. I keep wondering what major crisis will finally cause our leaders to finally take on solving social problems instead of sweeping them under the rug?

Nothing. They aren't affected.

Aside from some mass social unrest politics is one massive trough for like-minded snouts.

To quote Snake Plisskin "the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Things improve but I suspect there are far more career money power chasing egotists in politics than there are those who want to help. So progress is slow. It's firefighting what voters are kicking off about. Other causes fall by the wayside and experience slow changes.

But I'm cynical...

Lencoboy
15-10-20, 09:18
Yes, there was plenty of knife crime. I remember standing in a city centre pub seeing a gang over from Birmingham with machetes under coats. There was plenty about crime ridden estates and tower blocks too that dramas based their storylines.

I forgot about the joy riding. Remember JCBs ripping out cash point machines and ram raiding? Still plenty of football hooliganism in those days too.

Even in my town (which I still don't wish to name on here for fear of 'town-
bashing', though it's actually far from being a full-on 'problem' town) there are certain estates that our local rag used to make a really big thing out of back in the 80s, 90s and even the 2000s. Even the council estate I lived on as a young child came under fire from our local rag back in the early 90s, and was dubbed a 'ghetto' after one family had their garden wall toppled by vandals, and also constantly plagued by car crime in the poorly designed communal parking areas, as much of the estate is designed and built in the 'Radburn' style.

Our local rag has toned down its previously sensationalist nature over the past 10-15 years or so and those estate horror stories rarely ever seem to figure these days.

Yes, joyriding and ram-raiding were quite a big thing back in the 90s, especially before CCTV cameras became the norm in most places, and not forgetting thefts of car audio systems, which are now virtually unheard of.

I certainly recall footie hooliganism still being fairly rife even well into the late 90s, particularly the mass riot in Trafalgar Square following England's semi-
final defeat to Germany in Euro 96, and reports of mass pub and town centre brawls up and down England during the France 98 World Cup, coupled with the binge drinking culture of the time.

Good old days? Over my dead body!!

Lencoboy
15-10-20, 09:26
--Lencoboy

'Elephant in the room' syndrome, I'm afraid.

AntsyVee
16-10-20, 01:05
Well, I think that's a part of me likes the BLM and other protests that have been doing on. Not the violent ones of course, but the peaceful ones. It reminds those of us in charge, who have a PHD in ignoring the elephant, that there's more of us than there are of them.

MyNameIsTerry
16-10-20, 06:34
Well, I think that's a part of me likes the BLM and other protests that have been doing on. Not the violent ones of course, but the peaceful ones. It reminds those of us in charge, who have a PHD in ignoring the elephant, that there's more of us than there are of them.

True, and I would agree. But it's a big pity that may be hijacked by the idiot fringe that people may come to remember rather than the true protesters. I see so much about BLM in a negative light in online comments and much more about the US branch. But the UK branch seems to be about something more so it clashes with other political views who may even support them away from other beliefs found in the cause.

Is that because it's such a broad church? And are there black conservatives who support them but can't voice a right wing political stance because the movement is against that? I'm not saying it is, it's just something I wonder about, but the impression of the UK version I get is a political leaning that would exclude them. For instance, you could be a Muslim (of colour) who disagrees with homosexuality yet the BLM states it is to support homosexuality too. I wonder how they make themselves inclusive because that alone is a very emotive debate.

AntsyVee
17-10-20, 18:22
Yeah, I don't know, Terry. I think the problem again lies in all-or-nothing thinking. Here people think that if you support BLM, you don't support the police. I support both. The police here deal with some very f-ed up people and are often asked to solve social issues and problems not of their making. The social problems and racism are the same reason that black people are targeted by police disproportionately. If we all realized that both groups are really dealing with the same issues, we could solve them a lot faster.

phil06
19-10-20, 12:28
Bad news about Wales non essential retail closing before Xmas is bad news

Lencoboy
19-10-20, 16:59
Bad news about Wales non essential retail closing before Xmas is bad news

It is, but it's only intended to be for a fortnight though, provisionally ending on 9th November.

phil06
29-10-20, 13:07
My area is level 3 same as Glasgow despite us recording 40 cases per day vs 400 Glasgow. I know people in England have been frustrated. The town I use to live locally has recorded zero cases for a week yet local cinemas (Vue) as cineworld is closed will now close too. I understand there is a virus but I asked my local MP to explain when say my area doesn’t have cases why we are almost in full lockdown? Is anyone else here feeling a little frustrated? I imagine in France and Germany people feel much worse as it’s full lockdown. If we go full lockdown here for Xmas that’s not really very good is it? Are we meant to trust this government? I know you have a pro lockdown and anti lockdown divide like Brexit. Be interested to hear people’s thoughts or if you stay in Wales how are you coping with a 2nd lockdown?

phil06
29-10-20, 13:20
So to confirm level 3 pubs can open again (no drink) cinema closes. Wonder where the sense is.

Lencoboy
29-10-20, 17:28
So to confirm level 3 pubs can open again (no drink) cinema closes. Wonder where the sense is.

Dunno mate, does seem a bit odd, especially as it's easier to social distance in a cinema/theatre auditorium than in a non-food pub, especially if the seating is designated for sitting on or not.

Personally I think it's mass gatherings in people's own homes that's one of the biggest problems ATM, but are sadly less visible to the real world, unlike pubs, leisure venues, non-essential shops, etc, that are far easier to stick the knife into and play the blame game on.

phil06
30-10-20, 22:40
Seems we may not even get these new tiers. Tomorrow’s newspapers reckon we are going full Boris lockdown from next week. What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

Gary A
30-10-20, 22:46
Seems we may not even get these new tiers. Tomorrow’s newspapers reckon we are going full Boris lockdown from next week. What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

If it’s needed it’s needed. The cases have spiralled ridiculously over the past 2 months and if we’re wandering into a territory of hospitals being overwhelmed then we need to do what we can to prevent that. It sucks, but let’s be honest, this year as a whole has fu*king sucked.

AntsyVee
30-10-20, 22:59
If it’s needed it’s needed. The cases have spiralled ridiculously over the past 2 months and if we’re wandering into a territory of hospitals being overwhelmed then we need to do what we can to prevent that. It sucks, but let’s be honest, this year as a whole has fu*king sucked.

I agree with Gary. That's what we had to do in my county and it worked. Back in end of June/beg of July we had a positivity rating of 9.6%. We went back on lockdown meaning everyone wore masks, schools were to do online learning, restaurants and gyms operated in their parking lots, theme parks stayed closed, no audiences for sports, and no mass gatherings. Now we are at a 3.2% rate in my county, and my county has over 3 million people in a major urban area with all types of people. Now we're just waiting to ride out the holidays and see how that affects our numbers. It sucks, but it's better than getting sick.

phil06
30-10-20, 23:06
Do you guys not worry about the rising mental health crisis and missed hospital treatment due to lockdowns though? I read more could die from things other than Covid?

AntsyVee
30-10-20, 23:10
Phil, not gonna lie here. Any time there is a natural disaster, and an epidemic is one of them, the already existing health and social problems in a society get worse. Be we can't do anything about that other than to vote and be part of the political process and try to elect leaders that make decisions based on what's best for both the majority and the most vulnerable among us.

At some point you have to try to narrow down your worries to what you actually have control over. Otherwise, you'll have worried your whole life away before you know it.

Pamplemousse
31-10-20, 00:41
Assuming Johnson doesn't try and weasel his way out of it, it looks like England could be in full lockdown from Wednesday.

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-20, 02:00
Do you guys not worry about the rising mental health crisis and missed hospital treatment due to lockdowns though? I read more could die from things other than Covid?

Yes. My mum has been ill since March. We've only just managed to get the first assessment in recent weeks because they shut the service down to new patients. We had no help, no support. Our GPs were lacklustre and trying to treat the odd things they found in blood tests rather than get to a real diagnosis. And all along only we have had to deal with the issues.

We will be one of many.

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-20, 02:02
Assuming Johnson doesn't try and weasel his way out of it, it looks like England could be in full lockdown from Wednesday.

Looking that way. It's just getting worse around my way.

NI looks like they might have turned the corner.

Trouble is, it's only stalling the inevitable next wave.

pulisa
31-10-20, 08:17
Yes. My mum has been ill since March. We've only just managed to get the first assessment in recent weeks because they shut the service down to new patients. We had no help, no support. Our GPs were lacklustre and trying to treat the odd things they found in blood tests rather than get to a real diagnosis. And all along only we have had to deal with the issues.

We will be one of many.

It's appalling, Terry. Exhausting for you and your Dad and very distressing for your Mum. I'm used to being an unsupported carer but it's got even worse now. You just feel very isolated and on your own which is daunting and frightening.

Lencoboy
31-10-20, 11:55

I don't know why the govt can't just start this forthcoming 'second' lockdown from Monday, or even from tomorrow (Sunday) rather than specifically wait until Wednesday.

And for all of the Covidiots who will be moaning and groaning and accusing the govt of tyranny and the like, I'm afraid it's tough t**ties (please excuse my French)!! They're the ones mostly responsible for this current situation, so therefore, they have to own it.

I do feel sorry for all those whose jobs and livelihoods are on the line once again, and not forgetting those with already severe mental health issues, again because of all this, mostly caused by the poxy Covidiots being selfishly in denial and blatantly refusing to co-operate with the rules. Shame on them all!!

I personally will probably find this second lockdown easier than the first one back in the spring, especially as it's now approaching the winter period and there's generally less worth doing outdoors this time of year, so I can just settle down into the cosiness of my own home and own little world during these long cold dark evenings and shut out the mad, bad real world at will.

pulisa
31-10-20, 13:46
I'm glad that we will know more at 4pm today. Best to have it from official sources rather than it being leaked to the media.

Make that 5pm today! Obviously some last minute changes for Boris's script writer..

pulisa
31-10-20, 17:53

We will be one of many.

And I think your situation and that of others whose loved ones have had their treatment curtailed or cancelled because of Covid are the true victims here. Not the whingers or the self-entitled who can't cope with being told "no". We're not all in this together-many people have it far far worse and they are entirely unsupported. They won't be the ones moaning though. They never are.

Pamplemousse
31-10-20, 18:03
They'd better announce it soon else it'll run into "Strictly Come Dancing" and then there'll be riots!

pulisa
31-10-20, 19:04
They'd better announce it soon else it'll run into "Strictly Come Dancing" and then there'll be riots!

It's certainly time for a Last Tango In Paris..but it'll be a Cha Cha Challenge to get the Great British Public to comply with a national lockdown., I fear

Pamplemousse
31-10-20, 19:10
Sounds like LINO to me. Half-hearted.

phil06
01-11-20, 09:33
Still not sure what will happen in Scotland cases have gone down without a full lockdown wonder what she will do next?

Gary A
01-11-20, 11:49
Still not sure what will happen in Scotland cases have gone down without a full lockdown wonder what she will do next?

What’s she’s done since the beginning. Wait for 3 weeks to pass then implement the same thing under a slightly different name to give the illusion that it’s her own rules and ideas.

Lencoboy
01-11-20, 21:57
With regards the forthcoming 'Lockdown 2' here in England, I'm disappointed but also at the same time quite relieved.

Again, it's being imposed mostly to give the NHS and the like more leeway and NOT as a form of tyranny/dictatorship.

And to reiterate, the Covidiots are mostly the ones to blame, and as a consequence the govt now have no alternative but to impose a second nationwide lockdown. They were constantly warned, but deliberately continued to break the rules, and like it or not, they now have to face the music!

phil06
02-11-20, 11:14
What’s she’s done since the beginning. Wait for 3 weeks to pass then implement the same thing under a slightly different name to give the illusion that it’s her own rules and ideas.

Cases have been dropping in Scotland so hopefully she is sensible about it and gives the tier system time to work.

Pamplemousse
02-11-20, 11:59
With regards the forthcoming 'Lockdown 2' here in England, I'm disappointed but also at the same time quite relieved.

Again, it's being imposed mostly to give the NHS and the like more leeway and NOT as a form of tyranny/dictatorship.

And to reiterate, the Covidiots are mostly the ones to blame, and as a consequence the govt now have no alternative but to impose a second nationwide lockdown. They were constantly warned, but deliberately continued to break the rules, and like it or not, they now have to face the music!

Never one to miss an opportunity, I see Nigel Farage is attempting to launch an anti-lockdown party.

pulisa
02-11-20, 13:33
At least this has eclipsed Jeremy Corbyn's fight for "justice"..

Pamplemousse
02-11-20, 14:17
At least this has eclipsed Jeremy Corbyn's fight for "justice"..
Corbyn and Johnson actually have a lot in common.They're both from an upper-middle class background and both have a vanity that makes them feel they can never be wrong, and to that aim surrounded themselves with people who'd reinforce that belief in themselves.

Lencoboy
02-11-20, 18:52
Never one to miss an opportunity, I see Nigel Farage is attempting to launch an anti-lockdown party.

I really don't know why that dozy pillock Nigel Farage can't just give a rest and stop sticking the knife in for once.

As far as I'm concerned, that 'has-been' is nothing but a persistent rabble-rouser who needs bringing down a peg or two!!

Lencoboy
02-11-20, 19:03
Corbyn and Johnson actually have a lot in common.They're both from an upper-middle class background and both have a vanity that makes them feel they can never be wrong, and to that aim surrounded themselves with people who'd reinforce that belief in themselves.

As far as I'm concerned, Corbyn is water under the bridge now as he concluded his tenure as Labour leader last April, but no doubt Keir will also get it in the neck either over Jezza's alleged past misdeeds or for suspending him from the Labour party, and he (Keir) will probably end up the scapegoat, and the 'bad man', whatever the event!!

I really don't know why people just can't put Corbyn to bed now, for once and for all, and move on.

Pamplemousse
03-11-20, 12:05
I really don't know why people just can't put Corbyn to bed now, for once and for all, and move on.

Because he brought a particularly unpleasant rabble with him from real leftist parties like the SWP, along with children of similarly-privileged backgrounds rebelling against Mummy and Daddy (but not rebelling against their money) who are very noisy on social media but also very simplistic in their ideals.

Whilst I've no desire to see a return of "New Labour" (hateful swine that they were) there's simply no place for the 1970s student politics Corbyn and his acolytes espoused.

The truth is, Keir Starmer is actually more "working class" than Corbyn ever was.

Meanwhile, Lockdown 2.0... I'd better nip and replace that faulty socket at my mother-in-law's house today or tomorrow!

Lencoboy
05-11-20, 09:34
Because he brought a particularly unpleasant rabble with him from real leftist parties like the SWP, along with children of similarly-privileged backgrounds rebelling against Mummy and Daddy (but not rebelling against their money) who are very noisy on social media but also very simplistic in their ideals.

Whilst I've no desire to see a return of "New Labour" (hateful swine that they were) there's simply no place for the 1970s student politics Corbyn and his acolytes espoused.

The truth is, Keir Starmer is actually more "working class" than Corbyn ever was.

Meanwhile, Lockdown 2.0... I'd better nip and replace that faulty socket at my mother-in-law's house today or tomorrow!

So the Tories are now the lesser of the two evils then?

Pamplemousse
05-11-20, 12:04
So the Tories are now the lesser of the two evils then?

Ummmm.... where did I say that? And as a card-carrying Labour Party member, it'd be stupid if I did say so.

Lencoboy
05-11-20, 16:16
Ummmm.... where did I say that? And as a card-carrying Labour Party member, it'd be stupid if I did say so.

I was only kidding!!

Pamplemousse
05-11-20, 17:32
I was only kidding!!

Oh, sorry Lencoboy, got my stupid head on today...

MyNameIsTerry
07-11-20, 02:48
As far as I'm concerned, Corbyn is water under the bridge now as he concluded his tenure as Labour leader last April, but no doubt Keir will also get it in the neck either over Jezza's alleged past misdeeds or for suspending him from the Labour party, and he (Keir) will probably end up the scapegoat, and the 'bad man', whatever the event!!

To add to what Pamplemousse said, which I agree with, should we let Starmer off? Throughout that period he sat next to Corbyn, the man in denial, as a senior party member when others wouldn't join the shadow cabinet. Some MPs were abused on Corbyn's watch and Starmer sat next to him.

Starmer is typical of many politicians. They say now it's a clean slate. But is It?

I guess he has to have his chance to convince people by sorting it out. To be fair there was only so much anyone could do with the likes of Milne, Murphy, Lansman, etc.

phil06
15-11-20, 00:30
The media in England have suggested the lockdown isn’t working in Scotland as cases have not dropped. However they have been rising in England despite lockdown so I am surprised. Surely it’s better it’s not rising where as England has seen massive rises?

Gary A
15-11-20, 04:01
The media in England have suggested the lockdown isn’t working in Scotland as cases have not dropped. However they have been rising in England despite lockdown so I am surprised. Surely it’s better it’s not rising where as England has seen massive rises?

It’s not a competition. Cases in Scotland have remained the same for weeks. I live in Glasgow and we’re seeing around 500 new confirmed cases per day. We’re a major hotspot. England have more cities than us and it’s to be expected that they’ll see flare ups far more than we should.

Let’s deal with our own problems before pointing the finger elsewhere, shall we?

Lencoboy
18-11-20, 17:55

Scotland hasn't (as yet) opted for a second lockdown though, as if you didn't know already Phil.

I did read yesterday some areas are upping to Tier 4 over the coming days.

Although it's probably still too early as yet to fully tell as to whether our current lockdown here in England is working or not, daily cases have been steadily declining since last Friday.

Lencoboy
18-11-20, 18:00
It’s not a competition. Cases in Scotland have remained the same for weeks. I live in Glasgow and we’re seeing around 500 new confirmed cases per day. We’re a major hotspot. England have more cities than us and it’s to be expected that they’ll see flare ups far more than we should.

Let’s deal with our own problems before pointing the finger elsewhere, shall we?

You're right Gary that England inevitably accounts for the bulk of infections, being the largest and most populous nation within the UK/Great Britain.

Scotland has its issues of course, so does Wales and NI.

BTW, are you feeling better now Gary,
as you mentioned a couple of weeks back that you had tested positive for Covid?

Gary A
18-11-20, 18:21
You're right Gary that England inevitably accounts for the bulk of infections, being the largest and most populous nation within the UK/Great Britain.

Scotland has its issues of course, so does Wales and NI.

BTW, are you feeling better now Gary,
as you mentioned a couple of weeks back that you had tested positive for Covid?

Yes I am Lencoboy, fully recovered now. My mother also had it and she’s also made a full recovery. We’ve both been asked to donate blood plasma, we need to wait until 28 days after recovery then we’re both going to do it.

Thanks for asking.

Lencoboy
18-11-20, 19:06
Yes I am Lencoboy, fully recovered now. My mother also had it and she’s also made a full recovery. We’ve both been asked to donate blood plasma, we need to wait until 28 days after recovery then we’re both going to do it.

Thanks for asking.

Fabbo Gary!!

Really pleased for you mate. And your mom. Certainly admire the bravery of you both.

Lolalee1
19-11-20, 01:26
That is good news Gary for you and your dear Mum.:yesyes:

pulisa
19-11-20, 08:16
Donating your blood plasma will be so beneficial, Gary..Very glad to hear that you are both recovering well. Thanks for helping us on here too with your health updates whilst ill.

phil06
19-11-20, 12:36
Cases are going down in Scotland but my partners driving instructor has systems and needs tested I so worried my wife could give me covid but I mean she hasn’t seen him in some weeks anyway? My throat feels a bit congested today is it it virus?

Pamplemousse
19-11-20, 13:39
Cases are going down in Scotland but my partners driving instructor has systems and needs tested I so worried my wife could give me covid but I mean she hasn’t seen him in some weeks anyway? My throat feels a bit congested today is it it virus?

Probably not, but if it helps request a test.

Lencoboy
19-11-20, 15:10

FYI, I have had similar symptoms to you Phil on and off over the past week or so, and I'm convinced it's not Covid, especially as I haven't (as yet) had any of the 3 key symptoms.

And incidentally the West Mids 'region' (not the county/conurbation of the same name) where I live is currently one of the worst-hit in England for Covid.

phil06
22-11-20, 22:19
My wife’s driving instructor has covid so how long should she wait for a lesson? I hear of footballers testing positive again. Most people get a test and don’t get checked to see how long they are infectious for? I told her delay it until January 2021 to be sure?

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-20, 09:20
My wife’s driving instructor has covid so how long should she wait for a lesson? I hear of footballers testing positive again. Most people get a test and don’t get checked to see how long they are infectious for? I told her delay it until January 2021 to be sure?

Why not ask the instructor? He can't work until after his quarantine.

phil06
24-11-20, 00:27
Why not ask the instructor? He can't work until after his quarantine.

Well how long can you have COVID for? I think he will be a risk for a while

Gary A
24-11-20, 00:55
Well how long can you have COVID for? I think he will be a risk for a while

If you don’t have a temperature after ten days from your symptoms first developing your isolation can end. You’re most likely not infectious in the absence of a temperature as it shows your body is no longer fighting a live virus.

phil06
18-12-20, 18:14
I wonder why they are talking about another lockdown when cases in Scotland have dropped from over 1000 a day to 700 per day?

I know N Ireland and Wales have just gone into lockdown. But in Scotland cases are not rising but seems to be videos from nhs online saying case numbers are rising. The numbers are rising in England but not Scotland

pulisa
18-12-20, 19:43
No need to worry then.

phil06
18-12-20, 22:12
No need to worry then.

Its going down but they could make a “political” choice perhaps with the pressure of Wales and NI going into lockdown this could pressure England too?

AntsyVee
19-12-20, 00:36

Thanks for asking.

Yay! :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
19-12-20, 13:32
Its going down but they could make a “political” choice perhaps with the pressure of Wales and NI going into lockdown this could pressure England too?

We'll be going back into lockdown soon after Xmas if the tiers aren't enough. It's only ever about holding back the tide until the vaccination have protected enough of the vulnerable and the hospital admissions drop.

As for Scotland I suppose they will just stick with the tiers if they are working. Or she will decide on a lockdown if she thinks it will do her image good.

phil06
19-12-20, 20:45
Level 4 for 3 weeks after Xmas. Notice a few on my Facebook struggle with mental health due to this new lockdown. Sad times

Lencoboy
20-12-20, 16:53
I think Scotland are doing the full lockdown thing from Boxing day onwards mostly as a precautionary measure, rather than due to this new strain genuinely running riot there.

I reckon it's odds on that Boris and Matt will do the same throughout the whole of England as well from Boxing Day onwards. And despite the fact that in my region (West Mids) confirmed cases of this new strain are the second lowest in England ATM (and waaay down on London and the SE), I would personally welcome it, if only as a precaution at this stage, regardless of the actual threat.

The only real hope I have right now is the fact that more vaccines are on the horizon over the coming weeks/months, and I really hope they start getting doled out ASAP.

pulisa
20-12-20, 17:46
I think the danger is that those fleeing London and the South East last night will take more than their luggage with them. So much for the Great British Public...

Pamplemousse
20-12-20, 17:53
I think the danger is that those fleeing London and the South East last night will take more than their luggage with them. So much for the Great British Public...

This is what frightens me too - viral hitch-hikers. Also disturbing is that King's Cross is to be closed over the entire Christmas period (and part of the New Year) for major engineering works so at some point there will be people swarming around at Peterborough to continue their journey south...

https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/travelling-later/east-coast-upgrade/

phil06
20-12-20, 21:18
I am a little worried that this new strain means even tougher restrictions or perhaps they will last a good few months with travel bans and shops closed? Should we be worried?

NoraB
21-12-20, 06:27
I am a little worried that this new strain means even tougher restrictions or perhaps they will last a good few months with travel bans and shops closed? Should we be worried?

We've had 9 months to get used to this. The government will do what they have to do, albeit at the last minute at times. Winter was always going to be an issue - as it is every year with the flu. Expect the first quarter of next year to be shit, then things will pick up with the intervention of the vaccine and better weather.

phil06
21-12-20, 11:04
People having to camp at Frankfurt airport. Really isn’t a fun time to travel. Travel is fine when it all goes smooth no fun when this happens. I dread to think how it’s going to be post Covid

Gary A
21-12-20, 12:54
People having to camp at Frankfurt airport. Really isn’t a fun time to travel. Travel is fine when it all goes smooth no fun when this happens. I dread to think how it’s going to be post Covid

Erm...post Covid means that the pandemics over. One would have to assume that with the end of the pandemic then this type of thing is no longer required.

phil06
21-12-20, 14:02
They are calling for a new national lockdown due to this new strain. Really feels like we have made little progress since March and feels like this is never ending.

phil06
21-12-20, 14:04
Erm...post Covid means that the pandemics over. One would have to assume that with the end of the pandemic then this type of thing is no longer required.

Yes true but feels like this is never ending right now. Can you see it going back to being able to travel? I can’t even travel in Scotland now

Pamplemousse
21-12-20, 14:36
I've already written 2021 off for my hobbies, interests and a potential holiday, unless there's a marked change by September.

And picking up on something you've correctly said - the incorrect use of the phrase "post-Covid" where many are simply referring to the summer lull. We knew the winter would be bad and we also knew it had the capacity to be a lot worse - which it is proving to be.

pulisa
21-12-20, 18:02
So no surprises really.

I'm just taking it day by day and not planning for anything. My daughter will have a significant birthday in June so it would be good if there were some chance to do something special for her then but far too early to speculate.

fishman65
21-12-20, 18:27
But how will all this affect me? Its such a major inconvenience :lac:

Gary A
21-12-20, 18:48
Yes true but feels like this is never ending right now. Can you see it going back to being able to travel? I can’t even travel in Scotland now

So if it feels like it’s never ending why are you dreading it ending?

Yes, we’ll be able to travel again. Just have a bit of patience and try to suck it up a little until then.

NoraB
22-12-20, 05:35
They are calling for a new national lockdown due to this new strain. Really feels like we have made little progress since March and feels like this is never ending.

We've made progress in that we understand the virus now.

We have a vaccine.

They expected the virus to mutate, and it has, but we are still slowly and steadily defeating it.

The positives are there if you look for them.

Instead of just focusing only on the gloom and doom, how about considering the positives which have come out of this? Marcus Rashford's campaign for school kids to get a meal in the holidays, community spirit, the arts having to get creative with performances online or in the street, acknowledging the value of essential workers who were not given a second thought before COVID, changes in working habits (for the better and which will be permanent) less pollution, the return of the drive-in, rainbows in almost every window - something which earned all the kids in our street an Easter egg on the front doorstep! Finally, humour - something that kept WW1 soldiers going in the trenches (The Wipers Times) and which is the antidote to fear.

Shit happens, Phil, but look to the positives and understand that this will end at some point as all other pandemics/epidemics have, but it will be a very gradual thing. I think some people will still wear masks when they're no longer compulsory, and I can see hand sanitizer being the norm. Think of when you have a gastric bug and you're very wary about what you eat for a while after. It will be like that. People are going to be wary for a long time to come. We just have to hang in there, and have faith that better days are on their way.

pulisa
22-12-20, 08:54
No one can give you an exact date for when "normality" will resume because it will be a period of wariness and readjustment and many people will have been through an extended period of chronic stress and financial hardship...

It does pave the way for you to make your travel plans though because many won't be in a position to consider holidays or leisure activities so you'll have the pick of the dates and the seats.

AntsyVee
22-12-20, 17:59
No one can give you an exact date for when "normality" will resume because it will be a period of wariness and readjustment and many people will have been through an extended period of chronic stress and financial hardship...

It does pave the way for you to make your travel plans though because many won't be in a position to consider holidays or leisure activities so you'll have the pick of the dates and the seats.

Yep. Only the lucky people who have been able to keep their jobs and save during the pandemic will be traveling afterwards. Most people will just be trying to make ends meet after losing their job or having their hours reduced. So many people are struggling to put food on the table, care for a sick loved one or themselves or not get evicted from their home/apartment.

pulisa
22-12-20, 18:06
Yep. Only the lucky people who have been able to keep their jobs and save during the pandemic will be traveling afterwards. Most people will just be trying to make ends meet after losing their job or having their hours reduced. So many people are struggling to put food on the table, care for a sick loved one or themselves or not get evicted from their home/apartment.

So where are you planning to go as soon as you are able to travel, Phil?

phil06
22-12-20, 18:24
So where are you planning to go as soon as you are able to travel, Phil?

No where I can’t see me being able to travel for atleast a year maybe longer. This year I managed to holiday in Scotland next year may be the same.

phil06
22-12-20, 18:26
Someone in my work tested positive for COVID they hid the fact they got a test and went to work got sacked this was Saturday? So could I have the covid? That’s been my partners driving instructor now this. My work won’t close as we are an essential retailer. Also today they said homeware shops would close but as my work sells food I don’t think we will close. So anyway risk of Covid if someone in my work caught it? How long before symptoms?

glassgirlw
22-12-20, 18:36
Have you had close contact with this person? If not it’s pretty unlikely. But symptoms they say can start anywhere from 2-14 days after exposure. Most seem to start displaying them between 5-7 days it seems like though. They also say you shouldn’t test until at least 5-6 days after exposure if you haven’t developed any symptoms.

there’s a lot of us in this waiting game boat right now Phil, myself included. I’ve been super careful and following all the rules, but when coworkers insist on going to things like large weddings and gatherings and then come expose others, there’s just nothing that can be done. Gotta wait and see what happens.

phil06
22-12-20, 19:03
Have you had close contact with this person? If not it’s pretty unlikely. But symptoms they say can start anywhere from 2-14 days after exposure. Most seem to start displaying them between 5-7 days it seems like though. They also say you shouldn’t test until at least 5-6 days after exposure if you haven’t developed any symptoms.

there’s a lot of us in this waiting game boat right now Phil, myself included. I’ve been super careful and following all the rules, but when coworkers insist on going to things like large weddings and gatherings and then come expose others, there’s just nothing that can be done. Gotta wait and see what happens.

Nope I don’t think I was too close I mean maybe an isle of the shop close to them but I was a little bit away. And yes I imagine it’s a waiting game for people if they go near someone with COVID. Seems everybody is getting it at the moment and in Scotland cases are lower too.

pulisa
22-12-20, 19:40
No where I can’t see me being able to travel for atleast a year maybe longer. This year I managed to holiday in Scotland next year may be the same.

I'm sure there are worse places to have a holiday. Where did you go and did you enjoy it?

fishman65
22-12-20, 19:48
I'm sure there are worse places to have a holiday. Where did you go and did you enjoy it?There are a LOT of worse places to holiday than Scotland, its a beautiful country.

phil06
22-12-20, 20:14
I'm sure there are worse places to have a holiday. Where did you go and did you enjoy it?

I was in Edinburgh. I mean you can get a good hotel anywhere but when it comes to exploring it gets boring as I live here. A short trip to England lots of places to explore but there is a nice new shopping mall opening in Edinburgh next year which should improve things.

MyNameIsTerry
22-12-20, 20:53
There are a LOT of worse places to holiday than Scotland, its a beautiful country.

Yeah, I've never been but would love to rent a cottage up there. My brother has on several occasions and said it was very beautiful and the local people were great.

For the same reasons I would love to do the same in NI/ROI.

MyNameIsTerry
22-12-20, 20:56
I was in Edinburgh. I mean you can get a good hotel anywhere but when it comes to exploring it gets boring as I live here. A short trip to England lots of places to explore but there is a nice new shopping mall opening in Edinburgh next year which should improve things.

Careful, Queen Nicola will have you in the stocks for daring to holiday down here :winks:

It depends what you are into, phil. If it's cities there is plenty to do in Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, etc. York is beautiful, just small. If it's countryside you can't go wrong with places like Cornwall, Somerset, Dorset, etc (done all those and loved them). Wales too. Not done the south east but I'm sure there is plenty down there. Or the islands.

pulisa
22-12-20, 21:09
I love York!

phil06
22-12-20, 22:24
So yes it’s very worrying COVID has entered my work place I have to go in tomorrow they say they cleaned it down but i worry I could have caught it?

phil06
22-12-20, 22:24
Careful, Queen Nicola will have you in the stocks for daring to holiday down here :winks:

It depends what you are into, phil. If it's cities there is plenty to do in Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, etc. York is beautiful, just small. If it's countryside you can't go wrong with places like Cornwall, Somerset, Dorset, etc (done all those and loved them). Wales too. Not done the south east but I'm sure there is plenty down there. Or the islands.

Yes these places all round nice I mean who knows when I can holiday again. I have to put some holidays in my work soon but obviously can’t book anywhere

glassgirlw
22-12-20, 22:46
So yes it’s very worrying COVID has entered my work place I have to go in tomorrow they say they cleaned it down but i worry I could have caught it?

Yep I’m in the same boat at my workplace, Phil. It definitely sucks. I just keep going in and wearing a mask. I tested negative last Friday for the rapid and antibody test. But my anxious mind keeps telling me maybe I tested too soon. I still have no symptoms though. Thought about going for another test but don’t know that it would do much good.

Life in the time of Covid I guess.

NoraB
23-12-20, 06:45
There are a LOT of worse places to holiday than Scotland, its a beautiful country.

I love Scotland, especially the Highlands. I've missed not going this year. :weep:

We recently (2019) went to the Kintyre Peninsula - where Paul McCartney's farm is. We visited the Mull of Kintyre but I had to stop half way down because I wasn't sure I'd be able to walk back up! The mists were rolling in, and it was chuffing freezing! :scared15: I'd love to make all the way to the lighthouse. One day maybe?

phil06
25-12-20, 00:49
Yep I’m in the same boat at my workplace, Phil. It definitely sucks. I just keep going in and wearing a mask. I tested negative last Friday for the rapid and antibody test. But my anxious mind keeps telling me maybe I tested too soon. I still have no symptoms though. Thought about going for another test but don’t know that it would do much good.

Life in the time of Covid I guess.

My boss was close to her but tested negative. It feels like a doomsday scenario how COVID entered my work people at work have been quite down beat about it. I mean you hear people getting it mild and others getting ill so it’s a worry. Maybe I have had it before and never known just no way to be sure

phil06
25-12-20, 06:54
My boss was close to her but tested negative. It feels like a doomsday scenario how COVID entered my work people at work have been quite down beat about it. I mean you hear people getting it mild and others getting ill so it’s a worry. Maybe I have had it before and never known just no way to be sure

Immunity with the vaccine could be as low as 3-6 months are going to vaccine 65 million people every 3-6 months? Every year? Would everybody take it ever year? We have seen the logistical challenges deploying the vaccine. If as expected it’s requiring yearly or less boosters you would be cutting millions of people off who can’t get the vaccine or can’t be bothered. I am sure the first batch will have high up take but you have a job persuading 65 million people to get there flu or covid jab each year

pulisa
25-12-20, 08:05
Why not have a day off from vaccine-worry today, Phil? Even if it means focusing on your bin instead?

Reading about all the different scenarios won't make things any clearer or more definitive and you won't feel in control if you immerse yourself in scientific jargon which only confuses you.

Even the most eminent scientists can't predict this one which I know is very frightening for you but it's how it is and endless speculation just makes things feel more daunting.

I hope you can have a good Christmas Day, Phil. This isn't going to go on forever but there may be some compromises that you have to make in order to enjoy your favourite things again.

Gary A
25-12-20, 14:53
There’s literally zero reason to think that vaccine induced immunity will only last 3-6 months. None whatsoever. Naturally acquired immunity seems to last at least a year, if not there would be far more instances of reinfection, which we just don’t see.

My opinion is that immunity may need to be topped up every year or so but, again only in my opinion, yearly vaccinations will be offered to the same people who right now are offered the flu jab. You can’t vaccinate an entire population every year, it’s not realistic.

Just chill today, though. It’s Xmas. Eat way too much food, have a drink, watch some Xmas telly or whatever. Don’t waste your day on here fretting over what ifs.

Lencoboy
25-12-20, 15:48
There’s literally zero reason to think that vaccine induced immunity will only last 3-6 months. None whatsoever. Naturally acquired immunity seems to last at least a year, if not there would be far more instances of reinfection, which we just don’t see.

My opinion is that immunity may need to be topped up every year or so but, again only in my opinion, yearly vaccinations will be offered to the same people who right now are offered the flu jab. You can’t vaccinate an entire population every year, it’s not realistic.

Just chill today, though. It’s Xmas. Eat way too much food, have a drink, watch some Xmas telly or whatever. Don’t waste your day on here fretting over what ifs.

I totally agree with you Gary.

It is Christmas Day after all. Perhaps not quite as per normal, but at least people like Phil should in the meantime be grateful they still have a home to live in, food in the cupboards and fridge, running water, and not jobless, or even homeless. Sadly there are certainly others who are in absolute dire situations the world over!

Let's just all hope for better luck in 2021, and not get bogged down with endless OTT fake news constantly spewed out by antivaxxers, CTers, extremist hard-righters and general know-it-alls on social media, etc.

phil06
25-12-20, 19:02

Thank you someone realistic knowing you can’t vaccinate everybody. Makes you wonder what they will do once immunity rubs off will they refuse you a flight? Would they be happy if you got vaccinated just the once perhaps? Or perhaps a tablet vaccine will be the alternative. I tend to sway with the vaccinate those who get flu jab. I think the restrictions one will be tricky given 65 million people can’t expect a yearly top up the logistics hiring sports halls wouldn’t work. How do you see this going? I would be more in favour of a vaccine if I wasn’t told to get it yearly if for most it was a one off jab?

phil06
25-12-20, 19:05
I totally agree with you Gary.

It is Christmas Day after all. Perhaps not quite as per normal, but at least people like Phil should in the meantime be grateful they still have a home to live in, food in the cupboards and fridge, running water, and not jobless, or even homeless. Sadly there are certainly others who are in absolute dire situations the world over!

Let's just all hope for better luck in 2021, and not get bogged down with endless OTT fake news constantly spewed out by antivaxxers, CTers, extremist hard-righters and general know-it-alls on social media, etc.

Yeah I mean we have been living so long like this it would be crazy to go back to normal go to a gig travel abroad seems a distant memory. I am hoping for a better 2021

phil06
25-12-20, 21:32
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-20/trials-for-astrazenecas-new-covid-19-antibody-treatment-set-to-begin-in-the-uk

This is some future proof some people won’t get the vaccine on medical grounds which should hopefully add weight against having restrictions on some :)

Lencoboy
26-12-20, 17:36
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-20/trials-for-astrazenecas-new-covid-19-antibody-treatment-set-to-begin-in-the-uk

This is some future proof some people won’t get the vaccine on medical grounds which should hopefully add weight against having restrictions on some :)

Sorry to say this Phil, but Pamplemousse has already beaten you to it with the BBC's version of this article on the main Covid thread!

pulisa
26-12-20, 18:03

Do you have medical grounds for not having the vaccine though?

phil06
26-12-20, 20:16
I have a good tweet to share with you guys

https://twitter.com/juliahb1/status/1342826712984416257?s=21

AntsyVee
26-12-20, 20:34
What that lady has wrong in her tweet is that these aren't individualized decisions. People don't "decide their own risks" by not getting a vaccine. They help promote the risks for everyone.

Here's something for you to read Phil...this scientist out of Texas A & M university says that out of any pseudo-science over the years, the anti-vaccine movement has done the most damage, and its still continuing on now: https://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2015/02/04/what-is-the-most-harmful-pseudo-science/

pulisa
26-12-20, 21:18
Maybe people who are too anxious to wear a mask should be shielding as well? Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to decide their own risks because they do indeed promote the risks for everyone.

fishman65
26-12-20, 21:23
What that lady has wrong in her tweet is that these aren't individualized decisions. People don't "decide their own risks" by not getting a vaccine. They help promote the risks for everyone.

Here's something for you to read Phil...this scientist out of Texas A & M university says that out of any pseudo-science over the years, the anti-vaccine movement has done the most damage, and its still continuing on now: https://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2015/02/04/what-is-the-most-harmful-pseudo-science/You're so right Vee, but don't expect Phil to understand any kind of obligation towards helping people other than himself.

phil06
26-12-20, 21:31
Maybe people who are too anxious to wear a mask should be shielding as well? Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to decide their own risks because they do indeed promote the risks for everyone.

Shield for a virus with a 98% recovery rate? Have we not shut enough of the economy down? Clearly you missed the tweet I sent as it was dismissed and it was a fact not speculation

phil06
26-12-20, 21:32
And since the tweet was dismissed I shall post here

“Just 377 healthy people under 60 have died of Covid. That's not a typo. There are no zeros missing. 377. Yes, that's sad but we have locked down an entire country for a virus that mostly kills the very old & the very sick. The rest of us should be free to decide our own risks.”

pulisa
26-12-20, 21:38
Shield for a virus with a 98% recovery rate? Have we not shut enough of the economy down? Clearly you missed the tweet I sent as it was dismissed and it was a fact not speculation

Why are you so worried about getting Covid then if it's such a piece of p*ss?

phil06
26-12-20, 21:44
Why are you so worried about getting Covid then if it's such a piece of p*ss?

It depends which source you want to read did you listen to the media you would never go out I mean that generation there is always scare stories. I actually studied media so almost became a journalist myself and learned all about it but I am glad in the end in never went down that career path.

pulisa
26-12-20, 21:52
It depends which source you want to read did you listen to the media you would never go out I mean that generation there is always scare stories. I actually studied media so almost became a journalist myself and learned all about it but I am glad in the end in never went down that career path.

So am I...yet you believe everything you read anyway. Why are you so afraid of getting Covid?

fishman65
26-12-20, 21:53

“Just 377 healthy people under 60 have died of Covid. That's not a typo. There are no zeros missing. 377. Yes, that's sad but we have locked down an entire country for a virus that mostly kills the very old & the very sick. The rest of us should be free to decide our own risks.”Yes Phil but a civilised society protects its most vulnerable, it doesn't throw them to the wolves. Unless you want a return to Nazi Germany? Lots of 'burdens on society' dealt with there. People like my wife who is under 60 with a collection of health conditions. Shall I kick her out into the street right now Phil? Let nature take its course?

Pamplemousse
26-12-20, 22:45
Yes Phil but a civilised society protects its most vulnerable, it doesn't throw them to the wolves. Unless you want a return to Nazi Germany? Lots of 'burdens on society' dealt with there. People like my wife who is under 60 with a collection of health conditions. Shall I kick her out into the street right now Phil? Let nature take its course?

Otherwise known as Aktion T4.

As for "decide our own risks" - presumably that doesn't include the risk you may pose to others? As ever, it's the selfish maggots who think of no-one but themselves.

AntsyVee
26-12-20, 22:47

Here's something for you to read Phil...this scientist out of Texas A & M university says that out of any pseudo-science over the years, the anti-vaccine movement has done the most damage, and its still continuing on now: https://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2015/02/04/what-is-the-most-harmful-pseudo-science/

Since you ignored it the first time, here it is again, Phil.

phil06
26-12-20, 23:26
Tomorrow’s papers says 15 million jabs then we can have restrictions lifted so 14 million or so to go.

Pamplemousse
26-12-20, 23:36
Says the Mail: whilst the Sunday Mirror says "Doctors warn: we face vaccine chaos".

Gary A
26-12-20, 23:43

Your post wasn’t dismissed, I asked you to explain how we shield the vulnerable and let the rest of us live life normally and you answered by saying that they’ll be vaccinated by Easter. So, it kind of appears that you don’t even understand the message behind the tweet that’s got you so hot and bothered.

Pamplemousse
27-12-20, 00:08
Your post wasn’t dismissed, I asked you to explain how we shield the vulnerable and let the rest of us live life normally and you answered by saying that they’ll be vaccinated by Easter. So, it kind of appears that you don’t even understand the message behind the tweet that’s got you so hot and bothered.
Trouble is Gary, nobody really can provide an answer as to how we "shield the vulnerable" because it's an extremely difficult question to answer, if it has an answer at all. The answer is nowhere as near as simplistic as the question.

Pamplemousse
27-12-20, 00:17
Elaborating on "the vulnerable": at random, in the UK there are

4 million diabetics
5 million asthmatics
12 million people with hypertension
29% of the population classed as obese

These are not small numbers. Some can be said to be "lifestyle" issues, but not all.

Gary A
27-12-20, 00:44
The Great Barrington Declaration is, frankly, nonsensical. For it to be achievable would require basically imprisoning a huge portion of the population, separating them from loved ones etc.

Pamplemousse
27-12-20, 01:16
"Shield the vulnerable".

Do all these "vulnerable" people live alone? No. So what do those who live with a vulnerable person do?

What about those "vulnerable" people who have carers come in to help them? What do we do with them? Or can only "vulnerable" people have "vulnerable" carers? Then what?

Lencoboy
27-12-20, 15:18

“Just 377 healthy people under 60 have died of Covid. That's not a typo. There are no zeros missing. 377. Yes, that's sad but we have locked down an entire country for a virus that mostly kills the very old & the very sick. The rest of us should be free to decide our own risks.”

Sorry Phil, but surely had we not had the lockdowns and various other restrictions since March the number of otherwise healthy individuals lost to Covid could very well have been far higher. And I'm not saying it as some smart alec either.

Surely you have admitted several times on here about being terrified of catching Covid yourself, but on the other hand you have seemingly contradicted yourself by admitting to being against many of the anti-Covid measures so far!

Just doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

pulisa
27-12-20, 17:57
And so far Phil has still not elaborated on why he is frightened of catching Covid when it will be such a non-event for a young man with no underlying health conditions.

Julia Hartley Brewer's tweet-posted and vaunted by you- spells out these "facts". Don't you believe them? Twitter is the oracle after all..

fishman65
27-12-20, 18:24
"Shield the vulnerable".

Do all these "vulnerable" people live alone? No. So what do those who live with a vulnerable person do?

What about those "vulnerable" people who have carers come in to help them? What do we do with them? Or can only "vulnerable" people have "vulnerable" carers? Then what?Yes it was the Great Barrington Declaration advocating this approach, and to further the discussion, I don't think you can shield someone. OK perhaps if you were living in a huge country mansion with servants, you could possibly shut yourself off in the west wing with meals left outside your door.

But back in the real world, Mrs F has been attempting to shield since mid October. However she, myself and our 21 year old daughter live in a pokey little semi owned by a housing association. With the bathroom, Mrs F's, mine and daughter's bedrooms separated by a small landing, we are breathing in each other's air. And we all know covid becomes aerosolised. So unless Mrs F's door is permanently shut and taped up, if myself or daughter contract it, everyone will. And said daughter works in Spar. So shielding with any kind of confidence is not practical.

Gary A
27-12-20, 20:31
Yes it was the Great Barrington Declaration advocating this approach, and to further the discussion, I don't think you can shield someone. OK perhaps if you were living in a huge country mansion with servants, you could possibly shut yourself off in the west wing with meals left outside your door.

But back in the real world, Mrs F has been attempting to shield since mid October. However she, myself and our 21 year old daughter live in a pokey little semi owned by a housing association. With the bathroom, Mrs F's, mine and daughter's bedrooms separated by a small landing, we are breathing in each other's air. And we all know covid becomes aerosolised. So unless Mrs F's door is permanently shut and taped up, if myself or daughter contract it, everyone will. And said daughter works in Spar. So shielding with any kind of confidence is not practical.

...and there is why the Great Barrington Declaration is a pile of nonsense.

phil06
27-12-20, 21:07
Sorry Phil, but surely had we not had the lockdowns and various other restrictions since March the number of otherwise healthy individuals lost to Covid could very well have been far higher. And I'm not saying it as some smart alec either.

Surely you have admitted several times on here about being terrified of catching Covid yourself, but on the other hand you have seemingly contradicted yourself by admitting to being against many of the anti-Covid measures so far!

Just doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

They are telling us vaccinate 15 million people and we get back to normal so what does normal look like? Do they give a hoots if healthy people catch it? Or will masks and social distancing continue. They don’t quite say what lifting restrictions looks like as dropping down a few levels and only having 20 people at a wedding is not normal life but no doubt the government will fob us off with these tiers for as long as possible.

fishman65
27-12-20, 22:45
The penny just isn't dropping is it Phil. What part of 'the government are not going to base their covid policies around Phil on NMP' are you having trouble with? The lights are on but nobody's home.

AntsyVee
28-12-20, 00:31
The penny just isn't dropping is it Phil. What part of 'the government are not going to base their covid policies around Phil on NMP' are you having trouble with? The lights are on but nobody's home.

Wait, the world doesn't revolve around Phil?

phil06
28-12-20, 00:35
Wait, the world doesn't revolve around Phil?

It’s in everybody’s interests that Covid is under control and the pandemic ends

AntsyVee
28-12-20, 00:38
Yes, but the way you speak on this thread Phil, you make it seem like you only care about your interests.

phil06
28-12-20, 00:42
Yes, but the way you speak on this thread Phil, you make it seem like you only care about your interests.

I would like to go back to normal but I am sure others feel the same. Time will tell

Fishmanpa
28-12-20, 00:47

I agree and it's always been about him.

FMP

pulisa
28-12-20, 08:17
I agree and it's always been about him.

FMP

It could be that it's more difficult for Phil to put himself in someone else's place though.

Lencoboy
28-12-20, 10:55
Personally I wish the govt had simply gone the whole hog and put the whole of England in Tier 4 from Boxing Day even if only for about 2-3 weeks, but sadly they just seem to keep playing for time and pussyfooting around the Covid deniers. Especially as today's cases are the highest on record so far, though that could also be attributed to catch-up from the past 3-4 days.

Still very little news on the Oxford AZ vaccine, which they also seem to be 'playing for time' with.

MyNameIsTerry
28-12-20, 17:15
"Shield the vulnerable".

What about those "vulnerable" people who have carers come in to help them? What do we do with them? Or can only "vulnerable" people have "vulnerable" carers? Then what?

Exactly. Not too long ago they were telling us multi generational living was a contributory factor to the hotspots and impact onto hospitals.

As for asthma, the 5 million are treated sufferers. There are millions of untreated, like myself, not counted in that. Covid will impact on them too.

Lencoboy
28-12-20, 18:58
Personally I wish the govt had simply gone the whole hog and put the whole of England in Tier 4 from Boxing Day even if only for about 2-3 weeks, but sadly they just seem to keep playing for time and pussyfooting around the Covid deniers. Especially as today's cases are the highest on record so far, though that could also be attributed to catch-up from the past 3-4 days.

Still very little news on the Oxford AZ vaccine, which they also seem to be 'playing for time' with.

And I also found it extremely disturbing that our local retail park was jam-packed with cars today with shoppers attending the sales en masse when we tried to get a takeaway from the drive-thru McDonald's, which we couldn't get anywhere near, so eventually gave up and drove back home and had tomato soup with bread and butter for lunch.

The big stores will be a perfect breeding ground for infections ATM!

Even more disturbing is those brain-dead Brits who have still travelled to Switzerland on skiing trips and blatantly refused to quarantine, and will no doubt get off with just a slap on the wrist!

In fact, anyone travelling period for non-essential purposes ATM, whether abroad or within this country itself are just totally bonkers IMO!

It's as if people still don't believe this pandemic exists, and all they care about are their beloved holidays, parties and epic shopping expeditions!

Sorry to sound like such a pessimist ATM, but I really despair with much of our current society, especially as many of our current Covid problems are self-inflicted, as certain people simply can't resist not following the rules!

Lencoboy
28-12-20, 19:59
Well, I think I need a few days' break from here, as I'm starting to fall into the 'bogged down' trap once again!

Pamplemousse
28-12-20, 21:23
Even more disturbing is those brain-dead Brits who have still travelled to Switzerland on skiing trips and blatantly refused to quarantine, and will no doubt get off with just a slap on the wrist!

As I've heard them called, "pricks with sticks".

MyNameIsTerry
28-12-20, 22:41
Yeah, they are definitely "taking the piste" :whistles:

Fishmanpa
28-12-20, 22:56
It could be that it's more difficult for Phil to put himself in someone else's place though.

Classic narcissistic characteristics in addition to the other mental aspects.

FMP

AntsyVee
28-12-20, 23:30
Classic narcissistic characteristics in addition to the other mental aspects.

FMP

I've wondered for awhile if maybe Phil is undiagnosed NPD. Does anyone know if he's seen a psychologist or therapist? If he truly is NPD, then he will naturally have a harder time viewing events from others' POV or feeling empathy. It doesn't mean he's a bad person; it would mean he needs help.

phil06
31-12-20, 14:50
So almost 2600 cases in Scotland today is this due to Xmas? Or the new strain? Given we are in the worst winter months can we expect to see 4-5 thousand a day in Jan/Feb?

Lencoboy
31-12-20, 16:18
So almost 2600 cases in Scotland today is this due to Xmas? Or the new strain? Given we are in the worst winter months can we expect to see 4-5 thousand a day in Jan/Feb?

Probably a bit of both, coupled with the fact that a lot of people sadly don't care anymore.

Same for the rest of the UK.

Given our national daily case count today is the highest on record once again it really beggars belief that the govt still opted not to put the whole of England into Tier 4 yesterday. It also seems that the govt themselves have now simply given up and stopped caring, or have some kind of agenda, possibly to get the Covidiots to learn the hard way or something.

Tonight will most certainly be yet another recipe for disaster!!

Scass
31-12-20, 16:25

Not if are in lockdown, the cases should go down again.

Lencoboy
31-12-20, 17:13
Not if are in lockdown, the cases should go down again.

Lockdown? I'll believe it when I see it!

Recently the govt also seemed to be implying that all schools will be returning as per usual in early January, come what may!

I think they've really lost the plot now!!

BlueIris
31-12-20, 17:21
Schools are currently set to return on the 18th, I know because I work in education.

Scass
31-12-20, 19:01
Lockdown? I'll believe it when I see it!

Recently the govt also seemed to be implying that all schools will be returning as per usual in early January, come what may!

I think they've really lost the plot now!!

Sorry, I meant tier 4.

My daughters primary is delayed until 18th Jan at earliest.

Lencoboy
31-12-20, 20:13
Sorry, I meant tier 4.

My daughters primary is delayed until 18th Jan at earliest.

Well that's a flippin' good job then!

Common sense at long last.

And you're right in that Tier 4 is technically lockdown, but shame (IMO) it's still not all of England.

Lencoboy
31-12-20, 20:17
Schools are currently set to return on the 18th, I know because I work in education.

Good.

Surely an extra fortnight off won't hurt at this stage.

AntsyVee
31-12-20, 20:34
Our governor gave an update on schools yesterday. They want to start having the youngest kids and special education kids go back starting in February, provided all the adults get vaccinated. I just don't see it happening that soon. They keep saying that my group is next on the vaccination list (even though I teach older kids), but I'll believe it when I see it.

glassgirlw
31-12-20, 20:38
I just saw a news report that my state is dead last in the nation as far as distributing the vaccines lol. I’m not sure we’ll ever move on to the next eligible group here lol

AntsyVee
31-12-20, 20:42
I just saw a news report that my state is dead last in the nation as far as distributing the vaccines lol. I’m not sure we’ll ever move on to the next eligible group here lol

I'm not surprised. I learned to drive in Kansas because you could get your license there at 15 back in the day and motorcyclists didn't even have to wear helmets LOL

fishman65
31-12-20, 20:43
I just saw a news report that my state is dead last in the nation as far as distributing the vaccines lol. I’m not sure we’ll ever move on to the next eligible group here lolWhat state are you in again glassgirl? And don't say terrible...

fishman65
31-12-20, 20:44
Ohh Kansas

glassgirlw
31-12-20, 20:50
I'm not surprised. I learned to drive in Kansas because you could get your license there at 15 back in the day and motorcyclists didn't even have to wear helmets LOL

Yeah that’s still a thing. :roflmao:

glassgirlw
31-12-20, 20:52
Ohh Kansas

Yes, and it’s terrible. :roflmao: Seriously, our entire handling of this whole pandemic has been utterly pathetic. Our state government is (majority) a different political party from our governor, so every time the governor tried to do anything the state reps and house blocked her at every turn. Half our counties chose to “opt-out” of the statewide mask mandate. And the state is filled with a bunch of whining morons that are sure they now live in a police state and everyone is only out to take away their personal freedoms. It’s unbelievable lol. I’m ready to move. :roflmao:

AntsyVee
31-12-20, 21:03
Yes, and it’s terrible. :roflmao: Seriously, our entire handling of this whole pandemic has been utterly pathetic. Our state government is (majority) a different political party from our governor, so every time the governor tried to do anything the state reps and house blocked her at every turn. Half our counties chose to “opt-out” of the statewide mask mandate. And the state is filled with a bunch of whining morons that are sure they now live in a police state and everyone is only out to take away their personal freedoms. It’s unbelievable lol. I’m ready to move. :roflmao:

I don't blame you. I have family back there, and I spent some time where when growing up, and I couldn't wait to leave fast enough. Plus it's flat, the wind blows all the time, dust gets into everything, and there are tornadoes in the spring. But, it's not on the bottom of my list. I'd rather live in Kansas than Alabama or Mississippi LOL You could always come out here when everything settles down, GG. The cost of living is more though, be we have a lot more benefits.

Lencoboy
31-12-20, 21:05

So England isn't alone then with whining moaners who are perpetually resistant to change and who talk of a dictatorial police state and loss of civil liberties whenever stricter measures are instigated!

Ironic how many of us here voted for one of the biggest postwar changes back in June 2016. A change to end all future changes?

glassgirlw
31-12-20, 21:07
I don't blame you. I have family back there, and I spent some time where when growing up, and I couldn't wait to leave fast enough. Plus it's flat, the wind blows all the time, dust gets into everything, and there are tornadoes in the spring. But, it's not on the bottom of my list. I'd rather live in Kansas than Alabama or Mississippi LOL You could always come out here when everything settles down, GG. The cost of living is more though, be we have a lot more benefits.

I have 100% considered relocating to SoCal if only for the weather. The older I get, the more the cold hurts my bones lol. Plus y’all have the ocean which I love :yesyes:

glassgirlw
31-12-20, 21:08
So England isn't alone then with whining moaners who are perpetually resistant to change and who talk of a dictatorial police state and loss of civil liberties whenever stricter measures are instigated!

Ironic how many of us here voted for one of the biggest postwar changes back in the summer of 2016. Possibly a big change to end all future changes?

you are for sure not alone LB!! I think it’s a worldwide issue lol.

Lencoboy
31-12-20, 21:10
you are for sure not alone LB!! I think it’s a worldwide issue lol.

I think you're probably correct there.

Also nostalgia has stolen the future the world over!

AntsyVee
31-12-20, 21:14
I have 100% considered relocating to SoCal if only for the weather. The older I get, the more the cold hurts my bones lol. Plus y’all have the ocean which I love :yesyes:

The weather is fantastic. People ask me why I don't travel more, and I say, "I already live in paradise." The only problem with it, is that everyone wants to live here as well, so it really drives up the cost of living and the closer you live to the ocean, the more expensive it is. We have a lot of people who move away to other states because they can get a lot more real estate in places like Kansas with the money they make out here. But we have a high minimum wage, a state health care system, we take care of our environment, we had a surplus before the fires and covid, lots of LGBTQ+ rights, and even the conservative people here are pretty progressive compared to other states. I'm a 4th generation Californian, so I have a lot of love and pride in my state, but we aren't perfect.

glassgirlw
31-12-20, 22:04
The weather is fantastic. People ask me why I don't travel more, and I say, "I already live in paradise." The only problem with it, is that everyone wants to live here as well, so it really drives up the cost of living and the closer you live to the ocean, the more expensive it is. We have a lot of people who move away to other states because they can get a lot more real estate in places like Kansas with the money they make out here. But we have a high minimum wage, a state health care system, we take care of our environment, we had a surplus before the fires and covid, lots of LGBTQ+ rights, and even the conservative people here are pretty progressive compared to other states. I'm a 4th generation Californian, so I have a lot of love and pride in my state, but we aren't perfect.

Yep every one of those things just sells me on it even more!! Hopefully someday. I’ve only been to Cali a couple times. Once when I was 8 with my grandma, we went to San Francisco. Then again when I was a little older, family trip to Anaheim and LA lol. I loved it though.

fishman65
31-12-20, 23:45
Yep every one of those things just sells me on it even more!! Hopefully someday. I’ve only been to Cali a couple times. Once when I was 8 with my grandma, we went to San Francisco. Then again when I was a little older, family trip to Anaheim and LA lol. I loved it though.Is Harry Callahan still patrolling the streets of Frisco? 'Go ahead punk, make my day'.

MyNameIsTerry
01-01-21, 02:43

Well if your real name is Dorothy and you move please let us know. Christmas is the time for cheesy jokes after all :biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
01-01-21, 02:44
Is Harry Callahan still patrolling the streets of Frisco? 'Go ahead punk, make my day'.

A line made even scarier if you happen to be walking into the gents at the time :ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
01-01-21, 02:46

Ironic how many of us here voted for one of the biggest postwar changes back in June 2016. A change to end all future changes?

Whatever comes next please give us a break after nearly 5 years of Brexit. We just aren't cut out for referendums over here :roflmao:

pulisa
01-01-21, 08:36
I think the Scilly Isles should vote for independence!! Only place in Tier 1.They should pull the drawbridge up and repel all intruders!

fishman65
01-01-21, 16:06
I think the Scilly Isles should vote for independence!! Only place in Tier 1.They should pull the drawbridge up and repel all intruders!Yes I saw that Pulisa. Also the Isle of Man is doing very well.

Pamplemousse
01-01-21, 18:02
Whatever comes next please give us a break after nearly 5 years of Brexit. We just aren't cut out for referendums over here :roflmao:

“I could not consent to the introduction into our national life of a device so alien to all our traditions as the referendum which has only too often been the instrument of Nazism and fascism”.(Clement Attlee.)

AntsyVee
02-01-21, 19:16
So are your schools still going to open or have they decided to go to online learning?

BlueIris
02-01-21, 19:32
Last thing I heard, they're at least partially back as of Jan 18th.

AntsyVee
02-01-21, 19:41
Oh, okay. I'm was just wondering what you all are doing. Ours are online at least until February, after that, they will see if cases will have dropped off with the absence of major holidays.

pulisa
02-01-21, 19:47
Last thing I heard, they're at least partially back as of Jan 18th.

It's such a mess, isn't it? I honestly can't see how children/students would be "deprived" if they had to switch to online learning for a while. In the great scheme of things their lives are not going to be "ruined", it's not disastrous it's just a sensible response to a national emergency situation.

Obviously it's different for students with special needs who would be distressed by any change of routine which they were unable to understand or process.