PDA

View Full Version : Can continual high anxiety cause BP to go up for a while?

TimetoTurn
07-10-20, 10:56
Hi,
To explain the subject title -I basically had a blip that really set me off with all sorts of anxiety symptoms a couple of weeks ago. I had a near faint/very short blackout episode (nothing to do with anxiety -they think it was because I was sat in a funny position for awhile and probably bit dehydrated and my BP dropped) and straight after it happened I, (of course) panicked! -the Dr thinks I actually stopped myself fully fainting because my adrenaline suddenly went up!
Anyway my hubby took me BP (which is normally in the 110/70 territory or even lower) and it was like 138/80-something.
Everything chalked up ok at A&E but then I made the silly mistake of taking my BP again at home a day or so later. I was somewhat anxious but it was about 145/93! So long story short I checked it now and then over the couple weeks since and it's often about 137/80 when I first take it, then it may come down to 127/78 but still higher than usual. My heartrate is always fast (always over 100 -but I read that fast heartrate and BP don't necessarily correlate) and I feel I am anxious when I take it, but even after I've calmed myself it's still higher than usual. I wonder if anyone else has experience of this?
I've been struggling with faint feelings and other anxiety symptoms since this thing happened, so I am hoping it's due to lots of high anxiety. Can it cause an elevated BP over a time?
p.s I am going to stop checking it so much!
Thanks so much for anyone who reads!
Hannah

WiseMonkey
07-10-20, 11:21
Yes it can, I've had it.

ankietyjoe
07-10-20, 11:29
Anxiety and/or stress will always elevate BP.

Checking BP can elevate BP.

NoraB
07-10-20, 14:34
Anxiety and/or stress will always elevate BP.

Checking BP can elevate BP.

I only have to glance at the BP monitor and mine shoots up! :ohmy: