PDA

View Full Version : Lymph node in neck

AnDrEw177
15-10-20, 21:00
I’m a 17-year-old male. I’ve had a lump on the side of my neck for almost 4 weeks. It’s about the size of a pea. I got it looked at 3 weeks ago and the doctor said it is a swollen lymph node. I also have another one on the other side of my neck but I can’t find it. He said it was probably from an infection I didn’t know I had and he said the lymph node should be back to normal in about 4 weeks. Almost 4 weeks have passed and it’s still there. Maybe slightly smaller but I can’t be sure.
I’m constantly worrying about it but can’t get it looked at as my university flat is in lockdown due to covid.
Does anyone know what I should?

NoraB
16-10-20, 08:57
I’m a 17-year-old male. I’ve had a lump on the side of my neck for almost 4 weeks. It’s about the size of a pea. I got it looked at 3 weeks ago and the doctor said it is a swollen lymph node. I also have another one on the other side of my neck but I can’t find it. He said it was probably from an infection I didn’t know I had and he said the lymph node should be back to normal in about 4 weeks. Almost 4 weeks have passed and it’s still there. Maybe slightly smaller but I can’t be sure.
I’m constantly worrying about it but can’t get it looked at as my university flat is in lockdown due to covid.
Does anyone know what I should?

It can takes weeks for a lymph node to go down Andrew. Longer if you're constantly prodding it. Just give it time.

AnDrEw177
16-10-20, 10:05
It can takes weeks for a lymph node to go down Andrew. Longer if you're constantly prodding it. Just give it time.
How can I be sure it’s nothing serious though?
Because it just appeared out of nowhere with no obvious cause.

itsmaliasheart
16-10-20, 10:35
Nodes take time to go down, some stay ever so slightly enlarged and never go completely down - like one of mine, but IÂ’m still here, healthy and kicking :)

Give it another week and if youÂ’re still worried, give your GP a call but IÂ’m sure youÂ’re fine :)

NoraB
16-10-20, 12:47
How can I be sure it’s nothing serious though?
Because it just appeared out of nowhere with no obvious cause.

You will most likely have had something like toothache, sore throat, a cold, ear infection, sinus infection, at some point.

AnDrEw177
16-10-20, 17:34
You will most likely have had something like toothache, sore throat, a cold, ear infection, sinus infection, at some point.
Is it common for someone to have one of these infections without having symptoms/notice anything wrong?

NoraB
17-10-20, 07:26
Is it common for someone to have one of these infections without having symptoms/notice anything wrong?

Tried to link to another post and it failed...

Find the user 'Mindprison' and find their post (2017) on lymph nodes.

NancyW
17-10-20, 13:54
Andrew, lumps are horrible for health anxiety for sure. Been there.

My son had a visible lumps in his neck, long story and many weeks of horrific anxiety. His dr said nodes can come up and never go down.

My son was a toddler when this happened, he is 27 now and I csn still see them when he turns his head a certain way.

AnDrEw177
17-10-20, 15:42
Did you ever find out what caused his lymph nodes?

NancyW
18-10-20, 00:12
Did you ever find out what caused his lymph nodes?

My son's dr said it could have been anything that caused them to react no way of knowing exactly what. What I know is they scared the shit out of me for weeks and weeks on end. When the Dr said they can stay there forever.. I was able to let it go.

AnDrEw177
18-10-20, 03:36
My son's dr said it could have been anything that caused them to react no way of knowing exactly what. What I know is they scared the shit out of me for weeks and weeks on end. When the Dr said they can stay there forever.. I was able to let it go.

Okay. So I shouldn’t be worried about it then?

NoraB
18-10-20, 06:38
Did you find the post on lymph nodes?

AnDrEw177
18-10-20, 12:44
Did you find the post on lymph nodes?
I Found a post that username commented on but I didn’t find their originally post from 2017

Fishmanpa
18-10-20, 14:34
Andrew... There are 500 to 700 nodes in our bodies. They range in size from a few millimeters to 2cm or more and totally normal. They are the body's sewer system and help filter out nasties. Poke and prod and you'll certainly find a few. Something as simple as a zit can cause one to enlarge.

A "pea" sized node is not of concern. I know because I'm a Stage IVa Head and Neck cancer survivor. What started as a node the size of a small grape (a lot bigger than a "pea"), ended up with two over 5cm and it looked like I had the mumps on one side of my neck.

I know what your unspoken fear is because I've seen this same scenario 100's of times on the boards. Aside from the size, your age alone rules out anything sinister.
Stop poking and prodding and googling! There's no need to continue down the rabbit hole with this.

Positive thoughts

AnDrEw177
18-10-20, 17:04
Andrew... There are 500 to 700 nodes in our bodies. They range in size from a few millimeters to 2cm or more and totally normal. They are the body's sewer system and help filter out nasties. Poke and prod and you'll certainly find a few. Something as simple as a zit can cause one to enlarge.

A "pea" sized node is not of concern. I know because I'm a Stage IVa Head and Neck cancer survivor. What started as a node the size of a small grape (a lot bigger than a "pea"), ended up with two over 5cm and it looked like I had the mumps on one side of my neck.

I know what your unspoken fear is because I've seen this same scenario 100's of times on the boards. Aside from the size, your age alone rules out anything sinister.
Stop poking and prodding and googling! There's no need to continue down the rabbit hole with this.

Positive thoughts
Thank you. I’ll stop touching from now on and try not to think about it.