PDA

View Full Version : Irrational crazes and manias

Lencoboy
19-10-20, 15:54
As I mentioned earlier today in the other thread about historical (pre-Covid) lockdowns, I have started this thread about seemingly irrational crazes and manias that have abounded over the years.

Of course we had the great toilet roll panic-buying earlier this year back in March, and we had the Nutella chocolate spread riots in France in early 2018, which interestingly weren't repeated here in the UK, thank God.

Can anyone think of any others (ultimately post-1945)?

BlueIris
19-10-20, 15:59
-

MyNameIsTerry
20-10-20, 06:00
Tetris! The music alone is an ear worm.

I can remember my childhood days when we did the same over collecting cards. And remember Trolls?

NoraB
20-10-20, 06:33
Rubiks bloody cube. (1980s)

Had to take all the stickers off to crack it! :ohmy:

As brain melting as it was, it did come in handy as a missile to launch at annoying brothers...:yesyes:

MRS STRESS ED
20-10-20, 07:36
oh my l remember clackers two yellow balls on a piece of string that you pointlessly banged together banged my knuckles more times than l can remember, but l was addicted to them l was a sad child 🤣 xx

NoraB
20-10-20, 07:51
oh my l remember clackers two yellow balls on a piece of string that you pointlessly banged together banged my knuckles more times than l can remember, but l was addicted to them l was a sad child 藍 xx

This made me laugh out loud. I'm such a child. :roflmao:

pulisa
20-10-20, 08:20
I collected World Cup Coins..and football stickers! Does anyone remember the game of "jacks" or am I too ancient?

My daughter was into Pokemon with a vengeance and Panini sticker books in general..There used to be a "dealer" in Woking and vast amounts of pennies were spent in the search for Mew! She also was into collecting those freebie plastic toys in cereal packets but wouldn't tolerate duplicates so the tension was awful when the packet was opened!

NoraB
20-10-20, 08:44
Does anyone remember the game of "jacks" or am I too ancient?

I remember those bad boys, so if you're ancient, so am I.

My daughter was into Pokemon

Two of my kids are fluent in Pokemon (the autistics surprisingly enough) Youngest can literally name every Pokemon there is - what they evolve into, what they have for their tea etc

Did you know that the Pokemon creator is autistic?

MRS STRESS ED
20-10-20, 12:54
This made me laugh out loud. I'm such a child. :roflmao:

I'm glad it gave you a laugh 🤣

pulisa
20-10-20, 13:59
I remember those bad boys, so if you're ancient, so am I.

Two of my kids are fluent in Pokemon (the autistics surprisingly enough) Youngest can literally name every Pokemon there is - what they evolve into, what they have for their tea etc

Did you know that the Pokemon creator is autistic?

And also mega rich now! No I didn't know but he has a lot to answer for!:D

Lencoboy
20-10-20, 20:23
Sorry to sound touchy, but many of the crazes/manias mentioned so far in this thread, I would hardly consider irrational.

pulisa
20-10-20, 20:49
Sorry to sound touchy, but many of the crazes/manias mentioned so far in this thread, I would hardly consider irrational.

Well on my part I certainly behaved like a headless chicken searching for Pokemon stickers (the right ones) and trying to open the cardboard tops of cereal packets surreptitiously in supermarkets to see what plastic toy was hidden amongst the Shreddies (other cereals are available)..

Hope this is acceptable for the thread? If not, I apologise..

Lencoboy
20-10-20, 22:03
Well on my part I certainly behaved like a headless chicken searching for Pokemon stickers (the right ones) and trying to open the cardboard tops of cereal packets surreptitiously in supermarkets to see what plastic toy was hidden amongst the Shreddies (other cereals are available)..

Hope this is acceptable for the thread? If not, I apologise..

Sounds a bit more like OCD to me.
(In the nicest possible way though, no offence intended).

NoraB
21-10-20, 00:57

So you don't think it's irrational to remove all of the stickers on a Rubiks cube then? :D

How about those Tamagotchi thingies then?

pulisa
21-10-20, 08:21
Sounds a bit more like OCD to me.
(In the nicest possible way though, no offence intended).

I was carrying out these missions in the line of duty to satisfy the demands of my autistic daughter!:D I wouldn't have done this normally! I know I shouldn't have done this but sometimes you just give in for the sake of a quiet life!

Lencoboy
21-10-20, 08:35
I was carrying out these missions in the line of duty to satisfy the demands of my autistic daughter!:D I wouldn't have done this normally! I know I shouldn't have done this but sometimes you just give in for the sake of a quiet life!

Trouble is, you're often damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Lolalee1
23-10-20, 10:15
Yo Yo’s? Yep I remember my bro always crying like a girl when he would try a trick between his legs and hurting his nuts.
Yep I always laughed and got the wooden spoon off old granny Murdoch :wacko:

Lencoboy
14-04-21, 08:33
What about the word/expression 'pwned'?

Possibly originated as a typo or even a deliberate misspelling of the word 'owned', but that seemed to be a 'thing' from around the mid-2000s through the early 2010s, and I think it was often associated with chav culture IIRC.

Lencoboy
28-05-21, 07:54
What about 'cancel culture', or much rather, the 'backlash' against it?

BlueIris
28-05-21, 08:33
Is that a craze or mania?

Lencoboy
28-05-21, 08:57
Is that a craze or mania?

Don't know really.

One thing's for certain, it's most definitely a tribalistic thing!

BlueIris
28-05-21, 09:04
You seem to have a lot of worries about these sorts of things.

Serious question, because I know you have difficulty with these concerns and I'm not in your shoes: would volunteering in the community help? I've been a lot less stressed about groups of feral kids and teens since I actually started working with them on a daily basis.

Lencoboy
28-05-21, 15:05
You seem to have a lot of worries about these sorts of things.

Serious question, because I know you have difficulty with these concerns and I'm not in your shoes: would volunteering in the community help? I've been a lot less stressed about groups of feral kids and teens since I actually started working with them on a daily basis.

Interesting you should say that because as many of us have become so brainwashed by the media about problem youngsters over the years, we have a tendency to hypervigilance and have a rather bad habit of tarring them all with the same brush.

Like I've already said dozens of times before on here, the media have a lot to answer for when it comes to scaremongering hype over such issues.

Mind you, compared to say, 2009, the moral panics about feral youth and juvenile delinquency in the media generally seem less intense now.

I think a lot of it was politically charged back then (e.g, 'Broken Britain') and a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Most ironically, much of that hysteria seemed to peter out from around late 2011 onwards, especially following the infamous events in the major cities during the August of that year.

BlueIris
28-05-21, 15:10
So, what do you think about the question I asked you?

Lencoboy
28-05-21, 16:36
So, what do you think about the question I asked you?

Not quite sure right now, but I may think more about it once the pandemic starts to ease, even though I'm probably now mostly free from a lot of the Covid hazards now having had both jabs, and will be 4 weeks tomorrow since I had my second jab.

AuntWithIssues87
06-06-21, 16:37
I am not sure if the panic was as big elsewhere around the world as it was here in the United States for Y2K. Some people were panic buying and hoarding, concern about banks and other industries crashing, etc.. What I find interesting is Y2K was long before social media and the 24-7 news coverage of today and there was still...in my opinion...a lot of over the type hysteria and hype for what turned out to be nothing really. Cannot wven imagine if something like this occured in these times.

Lencoboy
07-06-21, 16:35
I am not sure if the panic was as big elsewhere around the world as it was here in the United States for Y2K. Some people were panic buying and hoarding, concern about banks and other industries crashing, etc.. What I find interesting is Y2K was long before social media and the 24-7 news coverage of today and there was still...in my opinion...a lot of over the type hysteria and hype for what turned out to be nothing really. Cannot wven imagine if something like this occured in these times.

I don't personally recall that much panic surrounding the (hypothetical) Y2K 'bug' here in Blighty back in 1999, more the overhyped excitement during the run-up to 31st December 1999, and after all that, 2000 was just another year to most ordinary people, and not really that much different to 1999 in the grand scheme of things.

On the other hand, the mega-OTT response to pivotal tragic events like Princess Di being killed in Paris and 9/11 really doesn't bear thinking about had either event happened today!

Even Lockerbie back in 88 would have probably been treated as 'another 9/11' had it happened today.

Times were certainly much simpler and more carefree back then without the Internet, social media and 24/7 rolling news channels, plus even the mainstream daily rags were allegedly less sensationalist back then!

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-21, 18:03
Y2K was a big event in the UK. All business sectors were impacted and had to prepare. I can remember plenty about it on the news and elsewhere.

With today's technology there would be a mass youngster panic over their social media. Just look how people react when Farcebook, Goggle, Tw@tter, etc go down...:ohmy:

Lencoboy
07-06-21, 22:13
Y2K was a big event in the UK. All business sectors were impacted and had to prepare. I can remember plenty about it on the news and elsewhere.

With today's technology there would be a mass youngster panic over their social media. Just look how people react when Farcebook, Goggle, Tw@tter, etc go down...:ohmy:

Absolutely, Terry, they would think that the end of the world was nigh!

At least the business sectors weren't caught napping over the Y2K bug, and ensured that their computers and data systems were completely up to scratch, plus I think that it was also just a case of pot luck that nothing untoward happened on 1st Jan 2000.

Just imagine all the endless hysteria, fake news and conspiracy theories running riot if that were today, or to be more accurate, back then with both today's technologies and general OTT ways of thinking!

dorabella
10-06-21, 21:00
What about the punks of 1976 ? The moral outrage against what were basically a bunch of scruffy art-school herberts with a propensity for safety pins, mildly bad language, and hairgel ... was rather over the top. You would have thought the world and civilisation as we knew it was abut to come to an end.

In the end the 'movement' lasted less than two years before it was taken over by other fashion trends and new wave groups who dressed better, could actually play instruments and made much better music that some of still listen to today.

Interesting whilst it lasted.

NoraB
11-06-21, 08:45
What about the punks of 1976 ? The moral outrage against what were basically a bunch of scruffy art-school herberts with a propensity for safety pins, mildly bad language, and hairgel ... was rather over the top. You would have thought the world and civilisation as we knew it was abut to come to an end.

In the end the 'movement' lasted less than two years before it was taken over by other fashion trends and new wave groups who dressed better, could actually play instruments and made much better music that some of still listen to today.

Interesting whilst it lasted.

Never Mind The B0ll0cks.... my dad's face when I banged that album down on the table! :roflmao:

Actually, it was only Sid Vicious who couldn't play. The rest of the band tuned his bass for him and unplugged his amp before gigs.:roflmao: This suggests they had more pride in their work than you think? Sid was there for purely for the visuals! And let's face it, nobody could sneer like Sid!

The whole 'Sex Pistols can't play instruments' is a bit of a myth. Regardless of how the Pistols came to be, you can either play instruments or you can't, and with the exception of Sidney, the Sex Pistols could play their instruments. You only have to listen to the studio albums to know they could play. Johnny Rotten couldn't sing for toffee (or Country Life butter) but then again he was the frontman of a punk group - tunefulness not necessary!
My dad also called them 'scruffy herberts' but then he'd been a Teddy Boy back in the day - all drainpipe, creepers and duck's @arses.:yesyes:

I still listen to punk music, and I'm in my fifties. It features a lot on my personal 'soundtrack' and I played Oh Bondage Up Yours just the other day while I was making shortbread biscuits! :shades:

BlueIris
11-06-21, 09:00
Oh, awesome! Yeah, old-school punk was a bit before my time but I still have a soft spot. We lost Polly Styrene way too soon.

NoraB
11-06-21, 09:23
We lost Polly Styrene way too soon.

Yeah. :weep:

I was too young to be a punk, but you're never too young to be into the music. I was into heavily 'alternative rock' and 'post punk' music when I was a teenager. Bands like The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen - Siouxsie and the Banshees. I wore a lot of black, studded belts etc, and back-combed my (bleached) hair. Took me hours to get ready! :shades: My hair had that much product in it, it literally didn't move - not even in a gale. :roflmao:

BlueIris
11-06-21, 09:27
I was always too introverted to go out. Love Echo and the Bunnymen, but my favourite groups from that era are The Jam and Buzzcocks. If you're going across the pond, though, it has to be Talking Heads. I got to a David Byrne live show about 15 years ago and he really didn't disappoint - I love that he's stayed weird.

NoraB
11-06-21, 09:39
I was always too introverted to go out. Love Echo and the Bunnymen, but my favourite groups from that era are The Jam and Buzzcocks. If you're going across the pond, though, it has to be Talking Heads. I got to a David Byrne live show about 15 years ago and he really didn't disappoint - I love that he's stayed weird.

I was (am) MASSIVELY introverted, but music was (is) my drug. Getting to and from the 'disco' (I think that word is outdated now?) was a problem (lots of smoking and fizzy drinkies) but once I was on the dancefloor being strobed to death, I was oblivious to everybody else. :yesyes:

I love Talking Heads, (Psycho Killer or what?) also The Tom Tom Club had some good songs like Genius of Love etc. And Tina is one of my girl crushes. :shades:

BlueIris
11-06-21, 10:18
And Tina is one of my girl crushes. :shades:

Me too!

Catkins
11-06-21, 13:14
Blueiris - you saw David Byrne!! Holy shit!! I am very jealous.

BlueIris
11-06-21, 13:16
He was sweet and funny and strange; everything you could hope for from him. He's still my absolute favourite.

Catkins
11-06-21, 13:26
https://youtu.be/mbeq_bDRMPw

Catkins
11-06-21, 13:28
You've probably seen that already, but I really like it with a bit of Bowie in there too

BlueIris
11-06-21, 13:29
Haven't seen it, will take a look as soon as I'm back from work - everything's better with a bit of Bowie, isn't it?

Catkins
11-06-21, 13:33
Indeed.

I may have to go and put a CD on now .... it might get me motivated..

dorabella
11-06-21, 14:29
Never Mind The B0ll0cks.... my dad's face when I banged that album down on the table! :roflmao:

Actually, it was only Sid Vicious who couldn't play. The rest of the band tuned his bass for him and unplugged his amp before gigs.:roflmao: This suggests they had more pride in their work than you think? Sid was there for purely for the visuals! And let's face it, nobody could sneer like Sid!

The whole 'Sex Pistols can't play instruments' is a bit of a myth. Regardless of how the Pistols came to be, you can either play instruments or you can't, and with the exception of Sidney, the Sex Pistols could play their instruments. You only have to listen to the studio albums to know they could play. Johnny Rotten couldn't sing for toffee (or Country Life butter) but then again he was the frontman of a punk group - tunefulness not necessary!
My dad also called them 'scruffy herberts' but then he'd been a Teddy Boy back in the day - all drainpipe, creepers and duck's @arses.:yesyes:

I still listen to punk music, and I'm in my fifties. It features a lot on my personal 'soundtrack' and I played Oh Bondage Up Yours just the other day while I was making shortbread biscuits! :shades:

You're right - not all of them were instrumentally inept - but a lot of bang crash and 3-chord riffs got a bit samey as the years went on. I always liked the Damned, Banshees, X-Ray Spex, Squeeze, and most favourite The Stranglers. . Now there's a band that could play and had longevity.

NoraB
12-06-21, 09:10
You're right - not all of them were instrumentally inept - but a lot of bang crash and 3-chord riffs got a bit samey as the years went on. I always liked the Damned, Banshees, X-Ray Spex, Squeeze, and most favourite The Stranglers. . Now there's a band that could play and had longevity.

Love The Damned. I had Eloise (blue vinyl) on 12". Phantasmagoria was a good album too!

And who can forget Captain's Sensible's catchy ditty, 'Wot'? :yesyes:

I got into The Stranglers via a friend's brother who was massively into them. He played the Meninblack album one day while I was there and that was it!

Another band I was heavily into was The Cocteau Twins. Liz Fraser's voice is other-worldly. Plus, I can sing along to the songs and it doesn't matter if I get the words wrong because ya can't understand her anyway. :shades:

Catkins
12-06-21, 12:53
Love The Damned. I had Eloise (blue vinyl) on 12". Phantasmagoria was a good album too!

And who can forget Captain's Sensible's catchy ditty, 'Wot'? :yesyes:

I got into The Stranglers via a friend's brother who was massively into them. He played the Meninblack album one day while I was there and that was it!

Another band I was heavily into was The Cocteau Twins. Liz Fraser's voice is other-worldly. Plus, I can sing along to the songs and it doesn't matter if I get the words wrong because ya can't understand her anyway. :shades:

Loved the Cocteau Twins!

Lencoboy
12-06-21, 15:41
Some very interesting convos about music in this thread.

ErinKC
14-06-21, 17:32
You might like the podcast You're Wrong About. They talk a lot about moral panics! (It's America-centric, but may still be of interest)

dorabella
15-06-21, 17:07
The Cocteau Twins never appealed to me. For other worldliness Joy Division were streets ahead ... pity their output was cut so short.

Lencoboy
15-06-21, 19:41
You might like the podcast You're Wrong About. They talk a lot about moral panics! (It's America-centric, but may still be of interest)

I also recall a newspaper article back in 2013 titled something like 'British public wrong about almost everything', which was linked to an IPSOS MORI poll (I think), and its feature titled 'The Perils of Perception'.

And this was about 3 light years before the now-ubiquitous terms 'fake news' and 'misinformation' entered everyday parlance.

BTW, the UK and the USA both often tend to share very similar moral panics.

NoraB
16-06-21, 07:47
For other worldliness Joy Division were streets ahead ... pity their output was cut so short.

Ian Curtis was something else wasn't he? Tragic story for sure!

He danced a bit like I do! :yesyes:

Joy Division's time was short but the band which rose from the proverbial ashes (New Order) is still going 41 years later - minus Hookey I think? Mind you; I went off him when he started slagging Caroline Aherne off after her death. :lac:

I can't see Joy Division having that kind of longevity even if Curtis had lived tbh..:shrug:

Incidentally, I was in the Trafford Centre on Monday (music shop) and there's a New Order Power, Corruption & Lies T shirt which I think I will add to my band T shirt collection..

Who says 50 is too old to wear band T shirts! :yesyes:

dorabella
16-06-21, 16:21
Ian Curtis was something else wasn't he? Tragic story for sure!

He danced a bit like I do! :yesyes:

Joy Division's time was short but the band which rose from the proverbial ashes (New Order) is still going 41 years later - minus Hookey I think? Mind you; I went off him when he started slagging Caroline Aherne off after her death. :lac:

I can't see Joy Division having that kind of longevity even if Curtis had lived tbh..:shrug:

Incidentally, I was in the Trafford Centre on Monday (music shop) and there's a New Order Power, Corruption & Lies T shirt which I think I will add to my band T shirt collection..

Who says 50 is too old to wear band T shirts! :yesyes:

Joy Division were of their short time but once heard never forgotten... and New Order had a brief spell in the sun. Went to see the latter in Norwich in 1982 when I was an undergrad and was not impressed when they came on an hour late and stayed on stage for literally 20 minutes then went off. Lot of us went off them due to their arrogant stance...

Seen the Stranglers a few times over the years with different line-ups and they were just as good with and without Hugh Cornwell. Used to have a Rattus Norvegicus t-shirt which I wore until it disintegrated...agree you are never too old to wear band t-shirts with pride! Five minutes and you're almost there!!

NoraB
17-06-21, 08:01
and New Order had a brief spell in the sun. Went to see the latter in Norwich in 1982 when I was an undergrad and was not impressed when they came on an hour late

That's bad, and no way to treat the fans..

agree you are never too old to wear band t-shirts with pride!

I intend to be cremated wearing one of mine. :yesyes:

Lencoboy
17-06-21, 21:39
That's bad, and no way to treat the fans..

I intend to be cremated wearing one of mine. :yesyes:

Can't stand their song 'Blue Monday'.

That synth riff sounds like a loud intruder alarm going off. Really hurts my ears and makes me cringe!

Horrible, horrible track (IMO)!

My mom always hated it too, and so did my (maternal) grandma, who said it was 'hideous'!!

NoraB
18-06-21, 08:38
Can't stand their song 'Blue Monday'.

That synth riff sounds like a loud intruder alarm going off. Really hurts my ears and makes me cringe!

Horrible, horrible track (IMO)!

My mom always hated it too, and so did my (maternal) grandma, who said it was 'hideous'!!

Ah, I LOVE this track! Original version best of all. I used to love how it vibrated through my body on the dancefloor. :yahoo:

Incidentally, Blue Monday is the biggest selling 12" of all time. :shades:

BlueIris
18-06-21, 09:09
Sorry, I'm with Nora, there's something compelling about the synths.

My favourite is the Marc Almond version of Tainted Love, though.

Lencoboy
19-06-21, 08:24

My favourite is the Marc Almond version of Tainted Love, though.

Each to one's own.

dorabella
19-06-21, 17:46
Did anyone enjoy 2-tone? I used to love the Specials, early Madness and The Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom always struck a chord.

Tainted Love was a good one - thought Bedsit Land was better!

BlueIris
19-06-21, 17:50
Coventry girl here, love the Specials :)

NoraB
20-06-21, 08:25

Yes! Somebody gets me!! :yahoo:

Lencoboy
01-10-21, 10:54
The petrol panic buying over the past week is definitely the latest craze/mania, similar to the toilet roll panic buying in the early spring of last year.

And both despite official reassurances of there being no actual shortages of either.

Typical pack mentality, of which the press certainly have a lot to answer for, as they essentially 'engineered' and hyped up both crises, but still, sadly, never held accountable by the authorities!

I seriously dread to imagine what Black Friday (now in name only) will be like this year!

MyNameIsTerry
01-10-21, 14:27
The petrol panic buying over the past week is definitely the latest craze/mania, similar to the toilet roll panic buying in the early spring of last year.

And both despite official reassurances of there being no actual shortages of either.

Typical pack mentality, of which the press certainly have a lot to answer for, as they essentially 'engineered' and hyped up both crises, but still, sadly, never held accountable by the authorities!

I seriously dread to imagine what Black Friday (now in name only) will be like this year!

Caused by a leak. Imagine the panic if we heard what was discussed in secret circles every day? Think of all those terrorists they thwart, all the crimes the police prevent due to intelligence, etc.

Lencoboy
01-10-21, 15:47
Caused by a leak. Imagine the panic if we heard what was discussed in secret circles every day? Think of all those terrorists they thwart, all the crimes the police prevent due to intelligence, etc.

In such cases many of us would probably end up never leaving our homes and stay shut away forever more.

I think at times we're bombarded with far too much information these days, especially misinformation. And like I keep saying, it's as if the media want to keep us in a constant state of fear and scared witless all the time.

dorabella
01-10-21, 22:31
In such cases many of us would probably end up never leaving our homes and stay shut away forever more.

I think at times we're bombarded with far too much information these days, especially misinformation. And like I keep saying, it's as if the media want to keep us in a constant state of fear and scared witless all the time.

Of course they do Lenco - easy click bait 'journalism' - saves them having to do any real reporting. Media has been having a field day for 18 months now and no end in sight until the government develops a backbone and cracks down on them ... I think both bodies are working collaboratively frankly. Once they have power like this they are reluctant to give it up.

pulisa
02-10-21, 08:48

It's a very good job some very important intelligence can remain secret and always will do.

Lencoboy
02-10-21, 09:56
It's a very good job some very important intelligence can remain secret and always will do.

Otherwise the result would inevitably be mass public hysteria and media anarchy.