PDA

View Full Version : Dentist Anxiety - Tips & Tricks etc.

MrLondon86
21-10-20, 02:19
So after giving advice to another person on here that suffers from Dentist anxiety, I've decided to follow my own advice and book an appointment with a new dentist as I had bad experiences with my old one (even though he was a really good dentist). Now that the appointment is this afternoon I'm starting to panic and feel like a panic attack is coming, desperately trying to reassure myself. Anyone have any helpful advice, tips, tricks or questions I could ask the dentist beforehand?

PS: Also a big reminder to everyone to do get check-ups every 6 months.

Dasani95
21-10-20, 06:32
I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this as well.

My dentist has recommended that I have my wisdom teeth removed, but I am too nervous to.

NoraB
21-10-20, 08:14
Since Spitting Image has come back on, I've started to see people as SI puppets, and it makes me laugh.

I'm going to try it out on whoever is doing my ultrasound later on. :yesyes:

Phoenixess
21-10-20, 11:27
Well my dentist advised taking one diazepam the night before and one at the appointment and I was like no way will I be doing that. Then I ended up on diazepam through my GP and I took it as usual and when I was there and the dentist decided to do my tooth there and then I took another. I refuse anesthetic 100% and had my filling sorted. Some she had to do manually as it was quite painful but the rest she did with a drill now my tooth is fixed. If you don’t have anesthetic you can eat straight after as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrLondon86
21-10-20, 16:17
Just got back from the dentist and all my fears have come to pass... really not sure what I should do :(

Kuraimoar
21-10-20, 18:10
Just got back from the dentist and all my fears have come to pass... really not sure what I should do :(

I had severe dental anxiety. When I finally went because my tooth pain was unbearable I found out I had 9 cavities and needed a root canal. I was devastated. Only advice I can give you is jusy go through with whatever you need done. That's what I did and slowly after a few appointments it got better. I told them about my anxiety and they were very kind and understanding. After having a few good experiences my dental anxiety is gone. If only the rest would leave so easily lmao. Positive thoughts, you can do this.

MrLondon86
22-10-20, 00:41
I had severe dental anxiety. When I finally went because my tooth pain was unbearable I found out I had 9 cavities and needed a root canal. I was devastated. Only advice I can give you is jusy go through with whatever you need done. That's what I did and slowly after a few appointments it got better. I told them about my anxiety and they were very kind and understanding. After having a few good experiences my dental anxiety is gone. If only the rest would leave so easily lmao. Positive thoughts, you can do this.

Thank you so much, genuinely appreciate the support. Keep telling myself that the dentist has my own interest at heart even if my anxiety doesn't. He did genuinely come across as a really nice person and he even talked about all options etc.

Kuraimoar
22-10-20, 02:34
Thank you so much, genuinely appreciate the support. Keep telling myself that the dentist has my own interest at heart even if my anxiety doesn't. He did genuinely come across as a really nice person and he even talked about all options etc.

If you don't mind me asking what do you need to have done? Maybe I can give you some advice if I had something similar.

MrLondon86
22-10-20, 02:43
Well it's a real long story, but basically removing all the gunk from underneath the gums and possibly removing 2/3 that are completely ruined.

Kuraimoar
22-10-20, 03:01
Well just take it one appointment at a time. I've never had any teeth pulled but most of mine are mostly filling at this point. And use this as a lesson for better oral hygiene in the future. I don't know how your health care system handles dental work (in the US its very expensive and dental insurance sucks) but if you can afford it there are some great dentures and implants now that look very natural. You can always PM me if you want to talk or are having a bad day :)

MrLondon86
22-10-20, 03:06
Genuinely appreciate the support and I will keep it all in mind :)

Kuraimoar
22-10-20, 03:20
Anytime. Keep your head up. Were all in this together

MrLondon86
22-10-20, 03:24
Same goes to you bud. If you ever need a friendly ear, don't be shy to send a message.

NoraB
22-10-20, 08:26

What fears?

What happened?

Not a dental app (mine was ultrasound) but I do get anxious about them. in the end, I had to take my migraine meds to be able to make the appointment and I was away with the fairies - almost dozed off at one point. I can't remember what the woman looked like! :ohmy:

Back to the dentist though..

I've had several full-on panic attacks in the dentists chair. Turns out, I was reacting to the adrenalin in the local anaesthetic...:whistles:

MrLondon86
22-10-20, 21:43
That something was wrong with my teeth, gums and jaw. But fingers crossed it doesn't worsen.

NoraB
23-10-20, 07:51
So the way I understand from reading your posts, you have a lot of plaque and a couple of bad teeth that need removing?

If this helps, I'd avoided the dentist for a few years (mainly for financial reasons) and then I hit the menopause and read how important gum health is for the heart, especially when women are lacking the protection of oestrogen. My gums were bleeding and in a bit of a state. It literally took one deep cleaning session to turn things around and now I have minimal plaque which gets sorted out with the hygienist. Takes her 5 minutes and she charges me £50. Her name is Rebecca but I prefer to call her Dick (as in Turpin).

Hubs has a fear of the dentist. He won't admit, but he never goes...:whistles: He recently lost one of his front teeth to a Jelly Tot. Yes, a poncy Jelly Tot. Now he looks like one of The Wurzels. :whistles:

MrLondon86
23-10-20, 09:47
Really appreciate it Nora, you good lady are a legend :). Indeed the human body is essentially a biological machine where each part one way or another relies on other parts.

fishman65
09-12-20, 21:19
Just bumping this thread up as I'm having some issues tooth-wise as well. A molar on the lower jaw is causing pain. I had booked an appt in February, but then covid was kicking off so I cancelled. Anyway I'm booked in for Monday at a different dentist. A filling came out in April too, so very likely that treatment will be over two or three sessions at least. I think what I struggle with is the commitment to lay on that chair/couch, completely powerless while someone pokes about in your mouth. 2016 was the last time and that dentist had to drain the site of a previous extraction due to becoming infected. She didn't give me an anaesthetic for the draining and it HURT. But I need to keep telling myself, there's nothing a dentist can do that's any more painful than toothache.

glassgirlw
09-12-20, 23:00
I have a fear of dentists as well, thanks to a bad experience years ago. I’ve found now that if I’m open with the dentist about my anxieties and fears, they will do everything in their power to make it a good experience for me. So don’t be afraid to open up to them!

fishman65
09-12-20, 23:42
I have a fear of dentists as well, thanks to a bad experience years ago. I’ve found now that if I’m open with the dentist about my anxieties and fears, they will do everything in their power to make it a good experience for me. So don’t be afraid to open up to them!Thank you for that glassgirl. Dental anxiety is common I think for most people regardless of whether they have an anxiety diagnosis. For us its a double whammy in many respects, but for me its probably the being stuck there in that chair that's a bigger fear than any pain. And anaesthetics are much better than they once were.

glassgirlw
10-12-20, 00:42
Oh I absolutely agree. A big one for me is feeling trapped with no escape route. And when you’re in that chair, you’re stuck. So I totally understand the fears!!! I do think overcoming it and doing the thing we fear, making it through and then looking back on it, is a big step forward in conquering our anxieties for good. Doesn’t mean it still isn’t a struggle for us though :winks:

fishman65
10-12-20, 20:20
Very true glassgirl. I had the receptionist phone today and offer me an appt for the morning. And not a moment too soon as this pain has kicked off this evening, becoming very intense.

glassgirlw
10-12-20, 21:18
I’m so glad you can get in tomorrow. Yes the anxiety will be running high but you’ll feel so much better once it’s done.

Ive struggled with horrible toothaches in the past, my dentists have always had me alternate ibuprofen and Tylenol. I’m not sure if you have similarities over your way but it might be worth a try. Also hot packs over the affected cheek would help as well

fishman65
11-12-20, 21:40
Hi glassgirl, I saw the dentist this morning. It was just an assessment so no work done. The tooth in question could be extracted or root-filled as he thinks its saveable. But that won't be until the 21st at high noon. So pain management until then, which all day has looked a doddle until it kicked off this evening. I've taken a couple of codeine to try and settle it and some ibuprofen earlier. I opted for root canal because I can't afford any more lost teeth.

Anxiety-wise I did great until laying in that chair and seeing the lamp pulled down. Then a whoosh of high anxiety but thankfully it subsided, I seem to remember babbling to some of his questions. But one question was how I felt about dental work, that was virtually unheard of when I was a kid.

glassgirlw
11-12-20, 21:54
Fishman you did great!!! So proud of you for getting in that chair. That is the hardest part for me so I completely get it. Congrats!!

I do hate that they have to do an “assessment” and can’t just do the work then and there. Then I always have to psych myself up to go back again, which is really difficult because by then, the tooth doesn’t hurt anymore so I lose motivation to keep the appointment.

I will say, I’ve had a root canal a couple years back, lost countless nights of sleep over it, and it was actually a super easy experience. Took about 45 minutes total but for some reason it went by really fast. Didn’t even hardly notice them doing any work, he was great about making sure I was good and numb. So numb that I drooled on myself for most of the rest of the day lol. But it helped quench that dental fear a little for me.

fishman65
11-12-20, 22:14
Aww thanks glassgirl :hugs: Yes I know what you mean about not just getting on with it, but they have time constraints I suppose. But it would have been great to have it over with. There's another tooth has to come out, it lost a filling in April and part of the tooth came away. Also a root section that was left in from a previous unmentionable dentist. Oh yes drooling is the downside from anaesthesia LOL. Better drooling than pain though.

Mr X
12-12-20, 01:23
I have a small bit of advice: I've had to visit the dentist 3 times in the past 4 weeks. In the past, I've never been good with oral hygiene. I ended up with an abscess that lead to a wisdom tooth extraction. In short, look after your teeth and save that extra anxiety lol.

fishman65
12-12-20, 18:47
Yes you're right Mr X, there's no getting away from it. Going to the dentist and just having a polish would be so much better.

MrLondon86
14-12-20, 16:14
Mr X gave the best advice... look after yourself to avoid any excess anxiety. But most of the time if you mentioned that you have anxiety, the dentist and dental nurse will try to reassure you as much as possible... which is what happened to me with this new dentist.

fishman65
20-12-20, 19:54
Dentist tomorrow at 12 noon :unsure:

glassgirlw
20-12-20, 20:11
It will be over and done with before you know it. I think my whole root canal procedure took about 45 minutes from the point I sat in the chair. It was actually very quick and completely painless. They put a program on the television for me (which admittedly I didn’t watch) but he was great about telling me every step of what he was doing.

you’re going to do great!

fishman65
20-12-20, 20:24
It will be over and done with before you know it. I think my whole root canal procedure took about 45 minutes from the point I sat in the chair. It was actually very quick and completely painless. They put a program on the television for me (which admittedly I didn’t watch) but he was great about telling me every step of what he was doing.

you’re going to do great!Thanks glassgirl :hugs: You're a star. I'm sure I will do ok. This whole covid variant we have here has upped the anxiety, but I can't keep putting off the dental work. I booked myself in last February and cancelled, that's why the tooth has become worse.

glassgirlw
20-12-20, 20:40
I’m sure your dentist office is taking all the necessary precautions to keep patients safe. They say here that docs and dentists offices are some of the safest places around right now because of the crazy amount of cleaning they’re doing. Does make you wonder what they were slacking off on before though lol...

fishman65
21-12-20, 17:38
I managed it glassgirlw!! It took maybe 35 to 40 mins and I only felt some pain towards the end. But he had already said the infection was deep. He did a descale as well. My jaw is bruised now after the anaesthetic has worn off. Yep both he and his assistant were wearing what almost amounted to hazmat suits!!

Flapj
21-12-20, 18:06
I'm so weird because I love the dentist. I just had to have a cavity filled (First in 30+ years!) and it was pain free and quick. We were laughing and chatting most of the time. Regular dental visits (every 6 mo or every year) are really beneficial to your health.

glassgirlw
21-12-20, 19:14
I managed it glassgirlw!! It took maybe 35 to 40 mins and I only felt some pain towards the end. But he had already said the infection was deep. He did a descale as well. My jaw is bruised now after the anaesthetic has worn off. Yep both he and his assistant were wearing what almost amounted to hazmat suits!!

Yay!!’ I’m so glad it went well!! I’ve been wondering about you today - I’m horrible with time difference calculations so I was hopeful you’d post once you were done. The bruising is probably to be expected, maybe try some ice or cold packs on your cheek/jaw just to help ease it. But once it’s all healed up you’ll feel like a new man (at least your teeth will lol!). Congrats on seeing it through! That’s huge for us with dentist phobias!

pulisa
21-12-20, 20:54
Well done for going through with this, Fishman! Hope it makes future visits seem less daunting. I'm sure you would choose post-treatment soreness over dental pain as a result of not going to get treatment?

Dentists have done a wonderful job throughout covid. Can't be much fun having to root around in so many people's mouths not knowing what else they could come into contact with..!

fishman65
20-04-21, 14:10
Dentist tomorrow :unsure: The tooth he root-filled has disintegrated and a filling came out of another tooth along with a chunk of said tooth. So extraction is on the cards I think.

fishman65
21-04-21, 13:04
Three extractions and a filling, oof

Scass
21-04-21, 20:19
Was that all today? You did well! How are you feeling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishman65
22-04-21, 18:46
Was that all today? You did well! How are you feeling?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt was all in one sitting yes Scass. Two of them were root sections left in by my previous dentist. It was very sore but a bit better today thank you.

WiredIncorrectly
23-04-21, 12:52
It was all in one sitting yes Scass. Two of them were root sections left in by my previous dentist. It was very sore but a bit better today thank you.

I'm due a k9 out. Bricking it. I'd rather live with pain than go and get it removed. How messed up is that?

I'm glad everything is ok fishman. You're over the worst of it :shades: Good man!

fishman65
23-04-21, 22:14
I'm due a k9 out. Bricking it. I'd rather live with pain than go and get it removed. How messed up is that?

I'm glad everything is ok fishman. You're over the worst of it :shades: Good man!Thanks James. The way I look at it, there's nothing a dentist can do that's any worse than toothache. Just think, 30 minutes in his chair and the pain will be gone, you can do it buddy.

WiredIncorrectly
24-04-21, 18:27
Thanks James. The way I look at it, there's nothing a dentist can do that's any worse than toothache. Just think, 30 minutes in his chair and the pain will be gone, you can do it buddy.

It's highly likely it will be this week under an emergency because the pain is at the point where I'd rather get it pulled. I've been in this situation a few times and when the pain is bad it outweights the fear.

Are you all recovered now mate? Last tooth I had out caused me to have a nasty fever that night.

fishman65
24-04-21, 20:46
It's highly likely it will be this week under an emergency because the pain is at the point where I'd rather get it pulled. I've been in this situation a few times and when the pain is bad it outweights the fear.

Are you all recovered now mate? Last tooth I had out caused me to have a nasty fever that night.The gums are healing thanks James, though one last tooth needs to come out too in about a month. My front teeth are all fine, its just the back ones.

Yep toothache is pretty brutal isn't it and there does come that point when you would gladly lay in that chair. I'd just go buddy, get it over with.

WiredIncorrectly
25-04-21, 23:43
The gums are healing thanks James, though one last tooth needs to come out too in about a month. My front teeth are all fine, its just the back ones.

Yep toothache is pretty brutal isn't it and there does come that point when you would gladly lay in that chair. I'd just go buddy, get it over with.

It's a k9 and from the front you can't tell, but the back of the tooth ... oh boy. Feels horrible losing one of the front ones. I've seen partial dentures that are linked to other teeth using gold, but not sure on the price. Would be nice to get work done. Is finance a thing in dentistry?

And yes you're right ha ha. I've had tooth ache in the past that was so bad I tried to pull it out myself. In the end I booked emergency appointment the next morning after days of no sleep.

fishman65
19-05-21, 11:59
Another tooth bites the dust. Last one and likely a partial denture in 6 months. This one was more difficult the dentist said.

fishman65
14-11-21, 17:34
Well its dentist time again tomorrow. I'm not anticipating pain but am anxious nonetheless. The 'being stuck in the chair' factor I think.

Catkins
14-11-21, 21:27
I'm definitely not a fan of the dentist. Hope all goes well.

fishman65
03-02-22, 12:27
A wisdom tooth out this time, stitches too. Part of it had cracked and broken off before Christmas. He said it was beyond repair.

pulisa
03-02-22, 14:29
Really well done, Fishman! That's a traumatic experience for anyone let alone someone with dental appointment anxieties..

Try and have a quiet afternoon if you can?

fishman65
03-02-22, 18:38
Really well done, Fishman! That's a traumatic experience for anyone let alone someone with dental appointment anxieties..

Try and have a quiet afternoon if you can?Thank you Pulisa. I'm fortunate in the fact he's a brilliant dentist. I barely feel the needle and he always, without fail, makes sure I'm totally numb before he does anything. Sadly the anaesthesia has worn off and these stitches feel weird, like I've got something stuck in my mouth.

pulisa
03-02-22, 19:44
Have you been advised as to pain relief? I'd take at least paracetamol now because your jawline and gum have been traumatised. I had diclofenac for my extractions but not sure that's allowed now.

Are the stitches self-dissolving?

fishman65
03-02-22, 19:50
Have you been advised as to pain relief? I'd take at least paracetamol now because your jawline and gum have been traumatised. I had diclofenac for my extractions but not sure that's allowed now.

Are the stitches self-dissolving?They are indeed self-dissolving. The leaflet says to take ibuprofen and yes I should really take something. Not Mrs F's dihydrocodeine though!! :ohmy:

pulisa
03-02-22, 20:48
Don't wait for pain to kick in. You'll need to sleep tonight.

glassgirlw
03-02-22, 23:50
Good for you Fishman. I need all four of my wisdom teeth out, have for years. Just haven’t ever worked up the courage to actually do it. It’s silly, I’ve had teeth pulled before and it’s no big deal. But these will require cutting out and I don’t do well with thinking of being put under, hence the massive delay on my part lol.

I agree with Pulisa - stay ahead of the pain on this one. And don’t drink from straws - you do not want a dry socket!!!!

fishman65
08-02-22, 16:50
Thank you both for your kind replies and apologies for not responding sooner. However, I now have an infection at the tooth site. I did think it was taking time to heal and a quick shine of the mobile phone's torch revealed the gunge. This despite the salt rinsing. Though its a fine line to tread between keeping the wound clean but not wishing to disturb it. So 11-30am tomorrow for the dentist.

fishman65
31-10-22, 21:17
Dentist tomorrow 9-45 :unsure: Another tooth at the back, that last week he said he could fill, had a chunk break off. I can see another pliers job again.

Darksky
31-10-22, 23:21
Oh no, they found something then:weep: Was this the ‘discomfort’ you were talking about?.

I know all about pliers at the back..at least it’s reasonably quick. Good luck, you never know they may still try to save the tooth and fill it.

fishman65
01-11-22, 10:48
It has to come out, the decay is quite deep but the tooth has long roots. He's offered me a slot for this afternoon 2-45. He thinks he can do it, if not will send me to hospital. oo-er

Darksky
01-11-22, 13:35
Fingers crossed he can get it out himself. Mine works out. Not been defeated yet.:D

I’m not good at the dentist simply because the injections don’t work. My nerves cross in an odd pattern apparently and don’t get numbed properly. I have to have horse strength stuff and at least 3 of them :weep:

just have to think once out, it can’t bother you any more. Get the salt water ready and the soft food waiting……porridge is ideal.:winks:

fishman65
01-11-22, 16:25
:hugs: Thanks Darksky. Anyway I'm back. He's used a hefty dose of anaesthesia by the feel of it, most of my tongue is numb. This one took him a while, lots of pushing and shoving. He said it had very long roots.

Darksky
01-11-22, 18:31
At least it’s over. Worst part is done….and NO hospital!
Keep the painkillers ready if you need them.

:hugs: