PDA

View Full Version : Night Panics

twister
05-11-03, 15:33
Last night I woke up about 5 times having a mild panic attack. I was really frustrated and depressed this morning because last night I wasn't even feeling anxious when I went to bed. I had a bath and drank camomile tea etc and this still happened. It just feels hopeless to try and control these things if they happen even when we are asleep.

Now I am really anxious today as I feel I am losing the battle because I had been feeling better for days before and now I'm back to step one and feeling scared because I have to go out tonight.:(:(

diana
05-11-03, 16:47
Hello there Twister!

Don`t be discouraged about having an attack even when you don`t feel anxious. I too last night was feeling a bit panicy and I don`t know why. I too have been feeling pretty good for the past week, but all of a sudden I feel a bit anxious today like yourself. Actually I usually get even "more" anxious in the evenings, which of course causes my panic attacks to be worse, and yes being woke up out of a sleep having one. I usually can control the fear/panic while the light is out, but totally fear the sun going down. I believe because the first time I ever had an attack was in the evening, so I guess when they come on it`s in the evening because my brain is already afraid of that time of day. Maybe the same is true with you, maybe your first attack was in the evening, therefore the fear sets in at that time without even realizing it. Just a thought, not sure, still trying to figure mine out. :) Good Luck, Keep ya chin up ;)

Meg
06-11-03, 17:23
Hi Twister,

I was wondering how you were doing today ?

Actually being woken by a panic attack is usually your subconcious working overtime...
It's very different from being anxious before bedtime.

A few setbacks do not equate to being back to Step One at all. Your recovery will be a few steps forward and a step back for a while . Your body has been under huge stress. It doesn't heal overnight and changes take time to implement and settle in.

Keep doing what you're doing to help yourself and be patient.
When are you due back to work ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

twister
06-11-03, 22:50
Hi Meg

Thanks for replying. Even though I didn't sleep well last night I am much more positive today. I forced myself to go out last night even though it was the last thing I wanted but I actually had fun. I also managed to stop a panic attack from coming on on the tube today by using some stuff I learnt from a CBT book.

I have to accept that I will have good and bad days and not feel like it is a personal failure when I am anxious. I'm back to work on Monday - am scared of people's reactions....

Meg
06-11-03, 23:00
Hi Twister,

What good news all round !!

Positive today
Had fun last night
Stopped a panic attack on the dreaded tube - Major progress.

Well done you. You're well on your healing way now....There will be all sorts of days ahead. Be kind to yourself and make the best of each day.

I thought work must be on the horizon soon - have you been dwelling on that at all at night time ?

Which CBT book and which bit of advice helped you today ?

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
07-11-03, 00:10
hya emily,
as meg says,well done,your doing really well !
regards nite panic...can i suggest something,that may sound stupid...but who cares lol.
when you wake up in a panic,turn over and snuggle up to your partner...theres a good chance hes relaxed...so concentrate on his breathing...copy his breathing,which will take a minute or so,cos his breathing will be a lot slower than yours...but sooner than you think,your breathing will come down to his level,and the panic will subside....worth a try my friend...speak soon ...bryan

diana
07-11-03, 01:39
Kudos Em!

on your good day and night and stopping your panic attack. :D I like Meg wonder what bit of information from which CBT book? Please come back and share.

Diana

twister
07-11-03, 11:09
Thanks for all your comments - they really help:D

The book I read was one I got from a university library and was called Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Psychiatric Disorders. It's really for therapists ( I wouldn't recommend you read it as I discovered I had a whole host of other disorders inc. OCD!) but I just looked at some of the excercises they recommended the therapists teach you and in particular I used distraction technique.

When the train was slowing down in the tunnel I knew it was going to stop so I made the decision (whilst I still could) to remain in control this time. I made sure I was breathing slow and steady and for longer on the out breath. I then immediately started playing the animal game - thinking of an animal for every letter of the alphabet. It sounds silly and so simple that you'd think it wouldn't work but the fact is if you are concentrating on one thing (animals) you just can't be thinking about the other (panic attack).

I was still anxious and didnt like being the tunnel but I just didn't let it develop in to a full blown panic attack. The only problem was I couldn't think of an animal for N so came up with 'Nice Pig' - that made me smile so the panic attack seemed even further away!

I would recommend everyone try some distraction techniques - you can count backwards, play the alphabet game. In principle anything that uses the rational part of the brain stops the irrational fear taking over.

Emily

diana
07-11-03, 13:35
Hiya Em!!!
I even got a chuckle out of the "nice pig" animal. Soooo funny. :D, I agree it may not be a good idea to try and locate that book as instead of dealing with anxiety and panic disorder, we would have to open a whole forum on all the other disorders we have that we were not aware of because of our focus on the anxiety and panic. I for one do not need one more thing on my plate to evaluate and rationalize. LOL......... :D Keep up the good work, sounds like you are doing GREAT!!!! I`ll be smiling and laughing about "nice pig" all day now. Thanks! :D

Take care dear,

Diana ;)

Meg
07-11-03, 19:45
Hi Emily,

I would bet you do not have OCD - you're just having very common obsessive thoughts relating to anxiety and thus not being able to release a thought before completely overanalysing it and then scaring yourself about all the possible outcomes .
It's very different.

I like Nice Pig too. I used to try and remember the Airline speak alphabet- it's got a proper name- I forget it though. Alpha Bravo etc . I did know this very well once from my Dad so it made me dig very deep in memory banks at difficult times. It also reassured me I was not going mad or I wouldn't be able to recall it - ever !!

Well done Emily.

Meg

nomorepanic
07-11-03, 21:17
Meg

Working for an airline, I have learnt to use the phonetic (sorry for spelling, if it is wrong) alphabet very well.

When in the car I make up amusing phrases from the letters in the car registrations.

Nicola

diana
08-11-03, 22:59
Nicola,

I do that too, and I also add all the numbers on the car tags to equal one whole number or the largest number on tag. Silly I suppose, but keeps the mind off negative thoughts.

Diana :D