PDA

View Full Version : I wonder which will be the next 'dead' brand name to see a revival attempt?

Lencoboy
01-11-20, 09:11
I have noticed a trend over the past decade or so of historical brand names that were once fairly common but were retired, either through the original companies going bust, merging or simply changing their name.

I wonder which might be the next old name to make a comeback?

This can be either shops or brand names of consumer products.

ankietyjoe
02-11-20, 20:31
I dunno, but the recent Dempsey and Makepeace reruns on ForcesTV scratched an itch I didn't know I could still feel......

WiredIncorrectly
04-11-20, 12:11
During COVID no company is making a comeback or a revival. It'd be like flogging a dead horse at the moment.

New York's real estate market has flipped on it's head. Potentially another Detroit if COVID doesn't go away time soon.

Woolworths has always been online since their store closures in the UK. Wilko's, B&M and poundstores took over. Wooly's used to do well for DVD's and CD's because there was rarely a HMV in local areas. But there was a Woolys. I'm not sure what gap they'd be filling if they were to come back to the highstreets, they'd be going head on with Wilko etc. which would crumble their business ... again. It'd be suicide.

Now is a great time for people to set up websites and stores online though. Shameless plug ... I'm a software developer ... hit me up if you got an idea and cash :roflmao:

NoraB
04-11-20, 12:18
My aunty was a supervisor in a Woolies somewhere in the Forest of Dean. Nobody dared nick the Pick 'n' Mix on her shift lol :roflmao:

WiredIncorrectly
04-11-20, 12:30
My aunty was a supervisor in a Woolies somewhere in the Forest of Dean. Nobody dared nick the Pick 'n' Mix on her shift lol :roflmao:

OMG NoraB, thank you for rekindling that memory. As kids we always used to dive into the Pick 'n' Mix. I was a little monster in my younger years, me and school friends would head straight for the pen section to put some pens up our sleeve for school. The life of a poor kid.

NoraB
05-11-20, 08:19
OMG NoraB, thank you for rekindling that memory. As kids we always used to dive into the Pick 'n' Mix. I was a little monster in my younger years, me and school friends would head straight for the pen section to put some pens up our sleeve for school. The life of a poor kid.

One of my kids shoved their hands into the Pick 'n' Mix once and took a big handful thinking they were up for grabs. I was like, 'Noooooooooo you have to pay for them!' :ohmy:

Another one of my offspring wanted to work on the checkouts at Tesco when they left school because they thought that they took all that money home with them. Another dream crushed by Mother. :yesyes:

Lolalee1
06-11-20, 04:36
I always have a “free lunch” at woolies I start in the deli and then fruit and veg
You gotta try before you buy :yesyes:

NoraB
06-11-20, 06:24
I always have a “free lunch” at woolies I start in the deli and then fruit and veg
You gotta try before you buy :yesyes:

Yeah, but you don't know whose fingers have been in there do ya? For this reason, I always give the nuts a miss in pubs. :D

Lolalee1
06-11-20, 08:58
Only mine Nora:Dand they haven’t touched my flaps lol. I avoid the nuts at pubs the human variety :D

NoraB
06-11-20, 09:41
Only mine Nora:Dand they haven’t touched my flaps lol. I avoid the nuts at pubs the human variety :D

I love your sense of humour - it's very me lol

Lolalee1
06-11-20, 09:52
Thank you Nora:D
We could be sisters from a different mister my dad is the same as me,my mum is a bit of a prude but that’s her family heritage that makes her like that.
Come over here I will take you for a spin on my motorcycle and you can meet all my crazy wonderful nut job mates.:yesyes:

WiredIncorrectly
06-11-20, 14:16
Thank you Nora:D
We could be sisters from a different mister my dad is the same as me,my mum is a bit of a prude but that’s her family heritage that makes her like that.
Come over here I will take you for a spin on my motorcycle and you can meet all my crazy wonderful nut job mates.:yesyes:

What bike do you ride Lolalee1?

Lencoboy
06-11-20, 15:41
During COVID no company is making a comeback or a revival. It'd be like flogging a dead horse at the moment.

New York's real estate market has flipped on it's head. Potentially another Detroit if COVID doesn't go away time soon.

Woolworths has always been online since their store closures in the UK. Wilko's, B&M and poundstores took over. Wooly's used to do well for DVD's and CD's because there was rarely a HMV in local areas. But there was a Woolys. I'm not sure what gap they'd be filling if they were to come back to the highstreets, they'd be going head on with Wilko etc. which would crumble their business ... again. It'd be suicide.

Now is a great time for people to set up websites and stores online though. Shameless plug ... I'm a software developer ... hit me up if you got an idea and cash :roflmao:

That's exactly what I think.

As far as I'm concerned Woolies are old hat now and Wilko, Home Bargains, B&M, etc, are all basically the same but probably better, hence why they are still trading today.

Bringing back old, dead DIY store chains such as Do It All, Great Mills, Focus, Texas Homecare, etc, would be equally as pointless, as B&Q are the only ones that appear to have stood the test of time so far, and Homebase are now very much a pale shadow of their former selves, and seemingly on their last legs, and they quit our town around 2013-14, though B&Q are still going strong here.

WiredIncorrectly
06-11-20, 15:48
That's a great example with B&Q Lencoboy. I honestly couldn't have told you another DIY superstore until you mentioned them. I don't think I've used any other store but B&Q and Amazon for DIY.

ankietyjoe
06-11-20, 16:01
Wickes, darn Sarf at least.

WiredIncorrectly
06-11-20, 16:15
Wickes, darn Sarf at least.

Oh yeah, Wickes forgot about those. Are they still running? Sarf? Not heard that one.

WiredIncorrectly
06-11-20, 16:18
Whenever I think DIY I think of Tommy Walsh and his magic paint pad. I'm pretty sure his adverts are still running at 1am on some channels.

MyNameIsTerry
06-11-20, 17:09
Still got a Wickes around here but they are well overshadowed by B&Q. But what about Screwfix? The Range?

Remember the Wickes catalogue?

Kwik Save was a cut price place.

I like walking around B&Q. I guess it appeals to men. The plants are the best section though. It was a place that helped get me back into shops because it's so spread out and not busy so anxiety struggles are less worrying as you can always find a on aisle or corner to yourself. Just step into a shed for a minute :yesyes:

WiredIncorrectly
07-11-20, 00:46
Still got a Wickes around here but they are well overshadowed by B&Q. But what about Screwfix? The Range?

I like walking around B&Q. I guess it appeals to men. The plants are the best section though. It was a place that helped get me back into shops because it's so spread out and not busy so anxiety struggles are less worrying as you can always find a on aisle or corner to yourself. Just step into a shed for a minute :yesyes:

I don't really see screwfix stores where I am. I thought they were trade only. Their website gives me a headache. It's a navigation nightmare. Is The Ranger upper class lol? Never seen one either.

Yeah walking around B&Q is a lovely experience. I get excitement goosebumps when I've got the money to spend in there. Piling up the trolly with cement I don't need but I'll get it just in case. Gyprok (spelling?) was damned useful though to repair large holes. I'm not just saying this, but I used to go straight to the garden part when I'd feel anxious. I'd always hold my phone to my ear while stepping into the shed like I'm explaining to my wife about this shed I was relaxing in. It really does help and it's a much nicer experience than running to a toilet to hide in a cubical.

MyNameIsTerry
07-11-20, 02:41
Nah, The Range is one of those places that sells something for everything. A bit gadgety so I bet DIY elitists would snub it :biggrin:

Screwfix sell to anyone but they do seem to market themselves towards traders. Yes, it's not the easiest site and the search function isn't the best. With sites like Google will find it quicker. That reminds me of when I had to work with legislation and regulation sites. They were absolutely rubbish for finding stuff but Google did it fine.

The bird section is the dead some in my B&Q. It's so expensive. Looking at plants does help. I found tools, kitchen/bathroom stuff the same. You can just head down the bits aisles and get reading or counting until you've forgotten symptoms and probably why you came in!

NoraB
07-11-20, 09:29

Not sure they'd be ready for this Brit nut job. :roflmao:

NoraB
07-11-20, 09:40
There used to be Texas Homestores. (became Homebase)

I remember going there with my dad when I was small and cute, and all I had to do was say 'Daaaaaaddy' and his hand automatically went for his wallet. :yesyes:

(this technique does not work with husbands - not that I call them 'Daddy :huh:)

First time he said he was taking me to 'Texas', I thought I was going to America. I was expecting big hats and horses, not Magnolia emulsion and sanding paper. :whistles:

spectrum123
07-11-20, 12:47
Wickes could be on it's way out. It's owned by the Travis Perkins Group. Their latest developments revolve around a single site with variuos outlets, Travis Perkins, Benchmarx, Tool Station, City Plumbing/PTS which pretty much covers all that Wickes does. With B&Q being in the same group as Screwfix, things aren't looking too bright for Wickes.

spectrum123
07-11-20, 13:02

The psychology of shopping.

Women have a much wider area of vision and can process multiple levels in the near distance, hence women's cloths shops have racks and tables with assorted items spread all over them. Men are more tuned to a long narrow field of vision, DIY stores have long narrow isles that are straight lines this plays into the male brain processing ability.

NoraB
08-11-20, 07:05
I like walking around B&Q. I guess it appeals to men.

I like B&Q. Hubs doesn't because it usually means him getting his tools out. :whistles:

Just step into a shed for a minute

Is what I say to Hubs while I am holding the key. :yesyes:

Plot twist: I actually locked myself in our shed earlier this year. It was an experiment. :unsure: I was in there for 45 minutes before he came looking for me! :lac:

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-20, 14:18
Looks like we can add Debenhams to the list. It's a shame (much more for those losing their jobs) as it's a nice store to look around but it's not cheap and fell victim to changed in shopper habits.

I can see John Lewis going this way. Even more over priced. They did make a lot of reduncies recently citing the high street downward trend.

I bet councils are worried as these stories must pay a lot of ground rent.

Lencoboy
03-12-20, 16:32
Looks like we can add Debenhams to the list. It's a shame (much more for those losing their jobs) as it's a nice store to look around but it's not cheap and fell victim to changed in shopper habits.

I can see John Lewis going this way. Even more over priced. They did make a lot of reduncies recently citing the high street downward trend.

I bet councils are worried as these stories must pay a lot of ground rent.

Sorry Terry, this thread is about brands that died several years back that have been known to be revived again some years later, rather than those that are currently on the way out.

Though I agree it's a shame about Debenhams and others going under right now.

Way of the world ATM I suppose.

NoraB
04-12-20, 16:44
Looks like we can add Debenhams to the list.

I buy my leggings from Debenhams. I sat in a virtual queue for 30 mins the other day to stock up because they are the only leggings that fit me because I'm a short-arse. That, and they are REALLY comfy. :dribble:

Lencoboy
28-09-23, 16:46
Or maybe some other reason?

Hmmmm.... this is a tricky one, isn’t it? Perhaps once a brand’s gone it should be gone for good....

I totally agree with you Pain.

I think a lot of the time it's certain companies simply appealing to nostalgia by bringing certain 'historical' brand names back from the dead in order to 'sell out', even if there's no obvious public yearning for them.

And then many are often vastly disappointed with the 'new' generation of the revived brands' products believing they're not a patch on the originals.

I mean, some things are just better off left in the past, no matter how good or bad they were back in their original respective heydays, and reviving them can sometimes even taint people's original memories of them.