PDA

View Full Version : Abdominal and back pain

flumpkin
01-11-20, 13:17
Hello All, I guess I am here again looking for some reassurance. I am not a frequent poster but this is my one go to place when my health anxiety kicks in. So a month ago I started with lower right abdominal pain. Sometime feels like hip and also radiate down into pelvis. More of a dull ache than a pain and also has radiated round to my lower back again same side. I am conscious of it all day every day and does not hurt more when move or eat. Probably a bit worse when sitting. As someone who has always drank too much at home (couple of glasses of wine most evenings) I am terrified it maybe liver or kidney related and my go to anxiety is always that it is cancerous. Having tried to muddle through for a month hoping it would go away and putting a brave face on but with it always on my mind I have bitten the butlet and went to see dr on Friday. She felt my abdomen and said I was not guarding against her exam and tummy was not hard. Also did wee sample and no issues there. Now waiting for appt for bloods on Thursday and very anxious. Plus pain is still there and moved mostly more central right abdomen. I did help
My daughter move to uni about 3 days before the pain started but not sure muscular would
Last this long, start several days after or move around abdomen and back so much. Worried about what bloods may show, and hate fact I back on this spiral of anxiety :(

I did have something similar about 10 years ago that I had abdominal scan for but that was lower right and did not move centrally or affect back. Was also very dull pain always where as this is more crampy in middle at times with odd shooting pains occasionally. Other than the pain I feel well, eating ok, no weight fluctuation, no reflux and no changed toilet habits.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks
Flump xx

flumpkin
02-11-20, 12:02
Apologies, I think I have posted in wrong place. Will put in the symptoms forum.

flumpkin
02-11-20, 12:03
Abdominal and back pain
Hello All, I guess I am here again looking for some reassurance. I am not a frequent poster but this is my one go to place when my health anxiety kicks in. So a month ago I started with lower right abdominal pain. Sometime feels like hip and also radiate down into pelvis. More of a dull ache than a pain and also has radiated round to my lower back again same side. I am conscious of it all day every day and does not hurt more when move or eat. Probably a bit worse when sitting. As someone who has always drank too much at home (couple of glasses of wine most evenings) I am terrified it maybe liver or kidney related and my go to anxiety is always that it is cancerous. Having tried to muddle through for a month hoping it would go away and putting a brave face on but with it always on my mind I have bitten the butlet and went to see dr on Friday. She felt my abdomen and said I was not guarding against her exam and tummy was not hard. Also did wee sample and no issues there. Now waiting for appt for bloods on Thursday and very anxious. Plus pain is still there and moved mostly more central right abdomen. I did help
My daughter move to uni about 3 days before the pain started but not sure muscular would
Last this long, start several days after or move around abdomen and back so much. Worried about what bloods may show, and hate fact I back on this spiral of anxiety :(

I did have something similar about 10 years ago that I had abdominal scan for but that was lower right and did not move centrally or affect back. Was also very dull pain always where as this is more crampy in middle at times with odd shooting pains occasionally. Other than the pain I feel well, eating ok, no weight fluctuation, no reflux and no changed toilet habits.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks
Flump xx

nomorepanic
02-11-20, 12:55
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

melie1818
02-11-20, 15:16
I havn't got any advice unfortunately but I'm going through the same thing at the moment. I've had a pain next to my belly button on the right hand side for over a month now which started when I was exercising and hasn't gone. I've mentioned it to my doctor over the phone (amongst lots of other issues) and he just said to give it a couple of weeks after I'd been on a higher dose of my Sertaline as he said it might help if the symptoms are anxiety but that was a few weeks ago now. I've also started with pains lower down which I'm hoping is just ovulation as it's the middle of my cycle. You should be really proud of yourself booking an appointment with the doctor as it's something I struggle with. I'm sure it will all be fine, but I had bloods taken a couple of months ago and it was a really anxious time until they came back normal (after having to have some repeats done which terrified me!)so I know how you feel. Please let us know how you get on!

flumpkin
03-11-20, 00:07
Thanks Melie for replying and sorry you are suffering too. Making the appointment was quite a big one for me too as had been putting it off as while not starting on the journey of having tests etc I can pretend everything is ok. Although not really fooling anyone as on my mind all the time and am just really going through the motions with everyone and driving husband nuts by mentioning it and seeking reassurance several times a day. I am dreading the bloods on Thursday and the panicky days I know will come waiting for results afterwards. Good news your bloods have come back normal. That must be reassuring? Have you any other symptoms apart from pain? I haven’t so I am hoping this is muscular but not sure with way it has moved around although I am no expert on anatomy and don’t know what muscles there are in abdomen and how linked and the one thing I have managed with my anxiety is to learn not to google. Having said that I still innocently find myself stumbling over stupid triggers. Latest one on a social media site saying kidney signs you should not ignore. Not clicking it as know it will send me spiralling but know the avoidance probably isn’t good either. Just wish this pain would do one. Your doctor does not seem too concerned which is also good? Take care and thanks again for replying.

Love flump xx

NoraB
03-11-20, 07:35
So a month ago I started with lower right abdominal pain. Sometime feels like hip and also radiate down into pelvis. More of a dull ache than a pain and also has radiated round to my lower back again same side. I am conscious of it all day every day and does not hurt more when move or eat. Probably a bit worse when sitting. As someone who has always drank too much at home (couple of glasses of wine most evenings) I am terrified it maybe liver or kidney related

Your liver is top right quadrant and that's where pain would most likely be if there was an issue with it. That's certainly where my mate's pain was and she had a problem with her liver. So I'd forget this one...

Re kidneys, there's nothing in your wee and if there was an issue with your kidneys I'd imagine something will show up in your bloods...

Plus pain is still there and moved mostly more central right abdomen.

Sounds more colon-y to me. I'm having issues of the colon kind at the moment too..

not sure muscular would last this long

I've had muscular pains last for 3 months..

I did have something similar about 10 years ago that I had abdominal scan for but that was lower right and did not move centrally or affect back. Was also very dull pain always where as this is more crampy in middle at times with odd shooting pains occasionally.

Sounds even more colon-y to me now (IBS)

Other than the pain I feel well, eating ok, no weight fluctuation, no reflux and no changed toilet habits.

See, I do have these symptoms (except reflux) only I'm not panicking because I sorted out the HA.

Have I given you what you need? As in reassurance? Because this will only help you for a short time. What will help you long-term is to address your health anxiety. Have you had any therapy Flump?

If I were you, I'd also be cutting back on the sauce. That will be one less thing to worry about. :yesyes:

flumpkin
03-11-20, 10:58
Thanks Nora, all very valid points and what you are saying is starting to resonate with me. I know I go looking for reassurance when I have a issue and I know it is only short term until the next thing. I am lucky in that my HA crisises are fairly infrequent.

I read something on here in the HA forum over the past few days (forgive me I have read a lot on here, looking for the magic reassurance, so can’t remember who posted, it may have been you) but the gist was that you have to accept you are going to die at some point and live your life in the meantime. I think I have very black and white thinking linked to ocd thoughts and expect things to be 100% fine or absolute worse case scenario. I think I have to accept something will get me at some point, although hopefully many years away yet but as I age the possibility gets higher. There are no guarantees but I need to enjoy life now and deal with issues and facts as they arise. In a way I think I am doing this currently as I waited 4 weeks to see if pain went and carrying on as normal at work and home and trying to distract myself when start thinking about it, telling myself I have been to dr like normal person and that she has recommended blood tests which I will have on Thursday and see what next step is from there. I can’t stop my mind doing what it does but can not let it run away with itself?

I have had cbt years ago when I had my first experience of health anxiety. Like many the trigger was a breast lump that needed investigation a year or so after the birth of my daughter and the anxiety centrals a lot around not seeing her grow up or leaving her. She is an adult now and the anxiety is now I don’t see her settled, married, with grandkids etc. I guess the thing is there will never be a time I want to leave her. And I recognise that.

Drinking wise I have had 2 bottles of wine throughout the whole of October and nothing in November so far. The drinks in October were nights out for bdays and not just the habitual drinking at home. I genuinely want to stop drinking and do recognise it is a problem and is not good health wise or anxiety wise. I need to ensure I don’t lapse back into it if I get the alll clear with my latest issue. At this point I don’t think I will but have been here before and need to ensure I do actually stop this time.

Sorry for rambling on. Thank you for replying. I hope my post makes some sense. Any tips or help and support are very welcome.

Sorry you have issues too

Live flump x

NoraB
03-11-20, 11:21
I read something on here in the HA forum over the past few days (forgive me I have read a lot on here, looking for the magic reassurance, so can’t remember who posted, it may have been you) but the gist was that you have to accept you are going to die at some point and live your life in the meantime.

That sounds very me, yes. :winks:

I think I have to accept something will get me at some point, although hopefully many years away yet but as I age the possibility gets higher.

I can guarantee 100% that you will die one day. Me too, and everybody else on this forum.

You may be one of the lucky ones and not get a serious illness, but even that doesn't mean death. It's just that, to the HA mind, there is no in-between.

In a way I think I am doing this currently as I waited 4 weeks to see if pain went and carrying on as normal at work and home and trying to distract myself when start thinking about it

Can I suggest that you don't push the thought away when it comes?

Let the thought in, because that's all it is - a thought.

Try not to react with fear, but even if you do, just remember that this is the stress response (your body working normally)

Then, go and do something.

If the thought comes with you - just acknowledge it in a, 'I'm having this thought again? Ok'. It's just a thought. It's not the truth. It's just my mind telling me lies'.

I can’t stop my mind doing what it does but can not let it run away with itself?

It's not about stopping, blocking and never having these thoughts. It's what you do with these thoughts that matters. And it's fear which presses on the accelerator.

I have had cbt years ago when I had my first experience of health anxiety. Like many the trigger was a breast lump that needed investigation a year or so after the birth of my daughter and the anxiety centrals a lot around not seeing her grow up or leaving her. She is an adult now and the anxiety is now I don’t see her settled, married, with grandkids etc. I guess the thing is there will never be a time I want to leave her.

Totally understand. This was my fear too, and I had a nervous breakdown. I say this as gently as I can - but in order to recover from HA - you have to surrender this fear and accept that you cannot control when you die. All you can do is try to keep yourself well, and make those special memories while you are here and trust that your daughter will survive without you, because she will.

Drinking wise I have had 2 bottles of wine throughout the whole of October and nothing in November so far.

I don't drink because my body won't tolerate it anymore, but I've done my fair share, trust me. Some days I would give anything for a nice glass of red wine or a pint of real ale. But it's just not worth it anymore...:weep:

Good work on cutting down. You're being proactive and that's great. :yesyes:

Sorry for rambling on. Thank you for replying. I hope my post makes some sense. Any tips or help and support are very welcome.

Happy to help Flump. X

flumpkin
04-11-20, 15:40
Can I suggest that you don't push the thought away when it comes?

Let the thought in, because that's all it is - a thought.

Try not to react with fear, but even if you do, just remember that this is the stress response (your body working normally)

Then, go and do something.

If the thought comes with you - just acknowledge it in a, 'I'm having this thought again? Ok'. It's just a thought. It's not the truth. It's just my mind telling me lies'.

It's not about stopping, blocking and never having these thoughts. It's what you do with these thoughts that matters. And it's fear which presses on the accelerator.

X

thanks Nora for the advice. I guess trying to block out the thoughts in a way makes them stronger. What you suggest makes sense in that I need to just accept it as a thought but realise a thought can’t hurt me and what I need to do is follow the process / next step from the dr and deal with actual facts. Makes sense but I need to put it into practice! With the blood tests due tomorrow I am trying to do this. Had a few wobbles today thinking what if pain is muscular and I have blood tests and it then shows kidney/liver issue. Have told myself whatever it is better to know and yes bloods may show something but equally may not and that if there is an issue I have to cross that ridge at time and see what dr suggests. It does not have to be something incurable, and if is then I can’t change it by worrying. I have been answering the little voice in my head a lot today 😁. Still nervous but still functioning!

love flump x

melie1818
04-11-20, 17:20
thanks Nora for the advice. I guess trying to block out the thoughts in a way makes them stronger. What you suggest makes sense in that I need to just accept it as a thought but realise a thought can’t hurt me and what I need to do is follow the process / next step from the dr and deal with actual facts. Makes sense but I need to put it into practice! With the blood tests due tomorrow I am trying to do this. Had a few wobbles today thinking what if pain is muscular and I have blood tests and it then shows kidney/liver issue. Have told myself whatever it is better to know and yes bloods may show something but equally may not and that if there is an issue I have to cross that ridge at time and see what dr suggests. It does not have to be something incurable, and if is then I can’t change it by worrying. I have been answering the little voice in my head a lot today . Still nervous but still functioning!

love flump x

You sound so much like me. The doctor advised for me to have a blood test as I had a 'bulky thyroid' so even though I'd been referred by another doctor, because I was panicking about it all she thought it would be a good idea to see if there were any underlying issues. I regretted it as soon as the bloods were taken as I knew that I would be a mess until the results came back and I was worried it would uncover something unrelated. Then when I had a call the following day to say a couple needed repeating I went out of my mind. As I said before they eventually came back normal but I know exactly how you feel, I was listening out for my phone and dreading them asking me to come in to say they had found something.

It sounds like you have the tools to deal with your health anxiety in that you have the right answers when your anxious thoughts are taking over but I know with me that the anxious thoughts can be so strong sometimes and it's hard to fight them off.

Would you consider going back for cbt? I'm having my second round as its been a few years since I last went and it's come back worse than before. It's been good to get things off my chest and to have a goal in place for where I want to be as I hate living like this.

NoraB
05-11-20, 08:44
thanks Nora for the advice. I guess trying to block out the thoughts in a way makes them stronger.

Absolutely. It always does for me, anyway.

Had a few wobbles today thinking what if pain is muscular and I have blood tests and it then shows kidney/liver issue.

Have told myself whatever it is better to know and yes bloods may show something but equally may not and that if there is an issue I have to cross that ridge at time and see what dr suggests. It does not have to be something incurable, and if is then I can’t change it by worrying. I have been answering the little voice in my head a lot today . Still nervous but still functioning!

^^^^^^^^^^^ This. :yesyes:

flumpkin
08-11-20, 22:58
You sound so much like me. I regretted it as soon as the bloods were taken as I knew that I would be a mess until the results came back and I was worried it would uncover something unrelated.

It sounds like you have the tools to deal with your health anxiety in that you have the right answers when your anxious thoughts are taking over but I know with me that the anxious thoughts can be so strong sometimes and it's hard to fight them off.

Would you consider going back for cbt? I'm having my second round as its been a few years since I last went and it's come back worse than before. It's been good to get things off my chest and to have a goal in place for where I want to be as I hate living like this.

Hi Melie

This is totally where I am at the moment. I am currently trying to decide whether to call dr to see if bloods are back tomorrow or if I should wait to see if they call me? Blood test was Thursday night so not sure how fast they come back. Part of me is desperate to know and part of me is totally scared and wants to be able to still tell myself everything might be ok... although it isn’t really ok as I still have this pain (5-6 weeks now) and it is driving me mad. If I am honest it is my first thought when I wake up and my last thought at night. It is on my mind all day.

I am trying not to go off on one and have only had a couple of wobbles over the weekend. I have talked myself round rationally, so I guess I am coping but I just want the pain to go and not to feel this constant anxiety gnawing away at me. I go from telling myself it could be muscular and that the cause could be moving daughters bags to deciding it is definitely kidney, liver, pancreas etc and caused by alcohol and being overweight.

Also I know that once I get blood results I will probably still need more tests as if they show nothing, pain is still there. So poss need an ultrasound. Not sure if ultrasound will pick up things bloods won’t. Or if there are issues with bloods then I will have something to deal with too.

Hate this cycle. Deep breath, put my big girl pants on and see what tomorrow brings I guess. Not really thought about cbt again, I think part of me is coping and knows what I should do and to some extend I am doing. It is just hard and I still wobble. How is yours going this time, is it helping?

Love flump xx

flumpkin
11-11-20, 08:27
Well good news I think in that blood tests which included kidney and liver ones came back ok according to the receptionist, with no action required. This is huge relief as I had been worried about damage from alcohol.

Made big note to self though about the drinking (written whilst mid wobble) to remind myself I don’t want to be in this place again where HA is triggered more by the fact I have been drinking a glass most evenings. Not worth it and I don’t need to!

Still have the pain though so been told to go back if it persists. Presumably to look at abdominal scan. This makes me a bit anxious so not sure if my current thought to leave a few weeks in case muscular is a sensible reaction or avoidance...

Love flump x

NoraB
11-11-20, 08:44
Well food news I think in that blood tests which included kidney and liver ones came back ok according to the receptionist, with no action required. This is huge relief as I had been worried about damage from alcohol.

Way to go Flump! :yesyes:

Made big note to self though about the drinking (written whilst mid wobble) to remind myself I don’t want to be in this place again where HA is triggered more by the fact I have been drinking a glass most evenings. Not worth it and don’t need to.

Proactive - LOVE IT!!!

Still have the pain though so been told to go back if it persists. Presumably to look at abdominal scan. This makes me a bit anxious so not sure if my current thought to leave a few weeks in case muscular is a sensible reaction or avoidance...

All my tests have been clear so far, and it will probably be the case that the tube I had to crap into the other day will also show no issues either!

Anyway, I mention this because we're sort of in the same boat except that I don't have HA - I'm just really frustrated, fed up, and cranky. Two months of constant pain and waking up at stupid-o-clock in the morning? I reckon I'm entitled to let loose with the grumps occasionally, right? :shrug:

What you can do, Flump, is to use this time to work on relaxation techniques and acceptance. This is the perfect time to do so.

But I do advocate the occasional wallow in the pity-pot. :winks:

It might be the case for you (and me) that no cause is ever found. Wouldn't be the first time. :whistles:

You're doing really well mate - well done. Proud of ya. X

flumpkin
11-11-20, 23:08
Way to go Flump! :yesyes:

Thanks Nora and I mean really THANK YOU your post I stumbled on about acceptance has really struck a chord and definitely helped me as have the more recent tips. I have started (long way to go) to acknowledge that as much as I want to I actually can’t control everything. However I can take some positive steps (to do things which are good for me even if they don’t guarantee anything) and I can try to have some control over how I react.

I'm just really frustrated, fed up, and cranky. Two months of constant pain and waking up at stupid-o-clock in the morning? I reckon I'm entitled to let loose with the grumps occasionally, right? :shrug:

Definately allowed a bit of a grump! Sorry you are having such a rough time too. Not being able to sleep with it is awful. I am lucky not to have that issue. Only had it once when I had a herniated disk in my neck and could not lie down and it was awful, being tired and wanting to sleep but not being able to as painful is torture. You have my sympathy!

What you can do, Flump, is to use this time to work on relaxation techniques and acceptance. This is the perfect time to do

Yep, trying to work on breathing and posture as a starting point.

You're doing really well mate - well done. Proud of ya.

Cheers m’dears xxxx

flumpkin
16-01-21, 23:29
Hi all

Posted a while ago when this right sided abdominal pain first started back at end of September. 4 months on and nothing has changed... I have right sided discomfort all day and every day. Mostly under rib, sometimes nearer hip and can radiate round to back. Mostly a dull ache, sometimes more stabby/burning pain but consistently always there.

Knowing I have a health anxiety tendency I have been doing really well not going off on one and just ignoring the stupid nagging voice that this may be something serious and instead trying to carry on with things and just take the normal steps of getting medical advice and dealing with known facts but really starting to struggle.

I saw dr initially after about a month and they felt abdomen and said I wasn’t guarding at all when examined (good?) and to get blood tests done. These came back ok and I think included liver tests. I did mention concern that I had been drinking too much for years (and have cut back now to a couple of glasses just at weekend), also did urine test and no sign of infection, decided may be muscular but to come back if didn’t improve.

From here I contacted dr (via online form) after a few more weeks as pain still there. Recommendation came back via text to get abdominal and pelvic ultrasound at start November to look for cause which may be infection/ovarian cysts or something else. Obviously now is not the time to be ill as understandably there is a large wait as hospitals are so stretched. Called again last week and still not opening appts for scans. Tried to use my private medical at work but first request for consultant referral has been lost. Called last week and they said I can have the scan but need signed gp referral (I just have a text) which I am still trying to get and then can try to book appt but they too have backlog.

This stupid pain is with me and on my mind 24/7. I have no other symptoms apart from several painful trapped wind episodes and a bloated feeling (bra digs in and I end up removing and undoing jeans) most evenings. I am trying to do positive stuff (30 min walk each day), I have normal Appetite and bowel habits and not losing weight.

Has anyone any ideas or experience on what this can be? I am trying to follow right path of seeing dr but nothing is forthcoming due to everything that is going on at min and the longer it goes on I start to think not muscular and possibly something sinister that is getting worse while untreated and undiagnosed.

Mother in law diagnosed with untreatable kidney cancer at start of lockdown and I am sure this has been a trigger, but this pain is genuinely there and I am so stressed thinking could be kidney, liver, pancreas etc. I don’t seem to have the other symptoms for less sinister stuff like gallstones, appendix, kidney infection etc. Not googling at all, but all starting to get me down as no end in sight. I know I may be being stupid and may be totally fine, I know that there is a lot of worse stuff going on at the moment (inc mil) but also know I have had this pain for 4 months and that surely isn’t right.

Sorry for rambling
Love flumpkin xx

NoraB
17-01-21, 09:28
I have normal Appetite and bowel habits and not losing weight.

This is why I don't think you have anything to worry about Flump.

I'm still having my abdo pain. GP thinks it's a torn muscle, but I do have other symptoms - so I'm waiting on gastro - which will be a phone call next Sunday lol

I know I may be being stupid and may be totally fine, I know that there is a lot of worse stuff going on at the moment (inc mil) but also know I have had this pain for 4 months and that surely isn’t right.

My pain started last September. No sign of cancer so far. Lots of causes for chronic pain Flump - and this could also be psychosomatic because of your MIL with some muscle tension thrown in.

Just a thought... but you didn't happen to be doing anything 'physical' when your pain started did you? X

venusbluejeans
17-01-21, 14:08
This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

flumpkin
17-01-21, 15:49
I'm still having my abdo pain. GP thinks it's a torn muscle, but I do have other symptoms - so I'm waiting on gastro - which will be a phone call next Sunday lol

I am wondering if mine is muscular too, I think muscular issues can go on a lot longer than you expect them to (well that is what I am telling myself). Is that call with a consultant that can hopefully refer you for some kind of scan? It really isn't the time to be ill or need tests is it ...

My pain started last September. No sign of cancer so far. Lots of causes for chronic pain Flump - and this could also be psychosomatic because of your MIL with some muscle tension thrown in.

Thanks this makes sense and your situation sounds a bit like me too (although I have no gastro issues), and I know I have to stop myself going down the black and white thinking route of it is nothing or cancer. I agree that I am focussed on the pain too which will make things seem worse as I am hyper aware of it all the time.

Just a thought... but you didn't happen to be doing anything 'physical' when your pain started did you?
I did move my daughter into uni and pain started a few days after. Lots of carrying bags up to her room and some heavy shopping from car to her halls. Didn't have any issues at time though apart from me moaning they were heavy and stopping to put them down several times on route. Maybe delayed muscle strain that is taking AGES to resolve?

Thanks for the response, it really helps

Hope you get somewhere with appt on Sun

love flump xx

NoraB
18-01-21, 13:59
Is that call with a consultant that can hopefully refer you for some kind of scan? It really isn't the time to be ill or need tests is it ...[QUOTE]

I have my script ready - have to do this for phone calls. If the person I speak to dares to fob me off without at least an abdo MRI - which could prove/disprove a tear in the muscle - I will lose the plot.

[QUOTE] Thanks this makes sense and your situation sounds a bit like me too (although I have no gastro issues)

My gastro issues could be nothing to do with the abdo pain. All I know is that I've been constipated for years, and now I aint. :shrug: Except that it's only once a day, and I'm not losing weight, but I can't put any on either, and I haven't exercised since this pain started last September. Before that - I went from 10 stone to 9 stone 4 lbs by doing my physio...

Then again, I've been banging in the veg and Dairymilk - and I have a sneaky suspicion that my colon not likey. :ohmy:

I did move my daughter into uni and pain started a few days after. Lots of carrying bags up to her room and some heavy shopping from car to her halls. Didn't have any issues at time though apart from me moaning they were heavy and stopping to put them down several times on route. Maybe delayed muscle strain that is taking AGES to resolve?

That would do it alright. I was poncing about doing oblique exercises (after 9 years of doing nothing) when my pain started. Weak muscles will tear more easily. Depending on the injury - torn muscles can take 6 months plus to repair! Abdo even more so because it's our core strength and we literally use our tummy muscles to do almost everything - so stretching up for something aggravates it, you get me?

Hope you get somewhere with appt on Sun

Me too mate. Watch this space. Nora might need some TLC on Sunday if phone convo goes tits up. X

l

flumpkin
19-01-21, 00:13
I have my script ready - have to do this for phone calls. If the person I speak to dares to fob me off without at least an abdo MRI - which could prove/disprove a tear in the muscle - I will lose the plot.

Good! You have waited a long time so you need to get your point across. You’ll be kicking yourself and tearing other muscles if you don’t mention everything you need to!

My gastro issues could be nothing to do with the abdo pain.

This is true. I always tend to link all symptoms together and assume must be related. I am guessing you can’t do physio due to the abdo pain? I am not a big exerciser. I am very well padded with a fair amount of weight to shift. One to tackle after cutting the alcohol down (which is working) and increasing the exercise (early days but a 30 min fast walk each day for last 3 weeks). I am still conscious of my side/abdomen when walk but I don’t think more any more than when I am sitting.

I was poncing about doing oblique exercises (after 9 years of doing nothing) when my pain started. Weak muscles will tear more easily. Depending on the injury - torn muscles can take 6 months plus to repair! Abdo even more so because it's our core strength and we literally use our tummy muscles to do almost everything - so stretching up for something aggravates it, you get me?

I have never really done any muscular damage before so not sure if my pain matches that, but I am certainly unfit and have no core strength. I just thought muscular would hurt when I move a particular way rather than discomfort all the time. But then yeah I guess everything I do even just sitting prob uses abdominal muscles in some way.

Watch this space. Nora might need some TLC on Sunday if phone convo goes tits up.

I reckon you are owed some the amount you give people on here. Fingers crossed for you

Love flump xx

flumpkin
20-01-21, 15:36
Quick update the hospital called at 11:30 today and told me not to eat anything else as having abdominal and pelvic ultrasound at 4 TODAY! Cleared diary at work and now sat in carpark waiting to go in.

Very nervous of what it many show, but on plus side the panic time has been limited. I know won’t get results today but gets ball rolling a bit further at least.

Love flump x

NoraB
21-01-21, 06:48
Quick update the hospital called at 11:30 today and told me not to eat anything else as having abdominal and pelvic ultrasound at 4 TODAY! Cleared diary at work and now sat in carpark waiting to go in.

Very nervous of what it many show, but on plus side the panic time has been limited. I know won’t get results today but gets ball rolling a bit further at least.

Love flump x

How did it go Flump? X

flumpkin
21-01-21, 08:09
How did it go Flump? X

Hi Nora

She said need to wait for report to GP however did tell me I have a gallstone trapped in neck of gallbladder which when I pushed her she said could cause the right sided pain below ribs but not the pain I get lower down nearer hip/pelvis. She did scan ovaries and womb though and said no issues. I asked if anything worrying on liver, kidneys, pancreas and she just mentioned fatty liver so I think this is all good news. Will wait to see what gp says but feeling a lot better about the pain. Thinking could be combination of gallstone, muscular and anxiety?

What I am taking from this is how much better I have coped. Don’t get me wrong, it has been on my mind all the time but it hasn’t made be shutdown and I haven’t stopped enjoying time with family (i.e. distracted and just going through motions). I have been able to stop the thoughts mostly and tell myself I need to wait and see and that it could be something other than cancer (or could be, but treatable). The anxiety hasn’t robbed me of good times whilst waiting, would I have rather not had the issue on my mind? Of course 😁. Massive thanks to you Nora who have helped so much with your sticky post and also your caring but sensible replies! 😘 I hope you get your referral on Sunday.

I also need to continue with positive actions, keep on reducing alcohol, keep doing some exercise and eat better. I am well padded and unfit and at nearly 50 I am doing myself and my anxious tendencies no favour!

Mother-in-law sadly is not looking so good as they are putting hospital bed in at home and increasing her morphine. Desperately sad, but at least I can focus fully on her, my husband and daughter now. Not that I wasn’t but well you know...

Not sure whether they will suggest gallbladder removal (and I do wonder if this is the cause of some excruciating trapped wind episodes over last 2 years, where I can be doubled over lying on floor pretty much in tears not knowing where to put myself, sometimes being sick, but def relieved by deflatine eventually). Or maybe diet changes will help? Will see what doctor says, unless anyone any advice? Imagine a long wait for op anyway.

Lots of love, a relieved flump xxx

NoraB
21-01-21, 08:37
Hi Nora

She said need to wait for report to GP however did tell me I have a gallstone trapped in neck of gallbladder which when I pushed her she said could cause the right sided pain below ribs but not the pain I get lower down nearer hip/pelvis. She did scan ovaries and womb though and said no issues.

Gallstone explains the RS pain then. Excellent! You have the answer, and it's not at all scary!

Will wait to see what gp says but feeling a lot better about the pain. Thinking could be combination of gallstone, muscular and anxiety?

I imagine your pain might will improve some just in the knowledge that there is nothing seriously wrong - such is the power of the mind!

What I am taking from this is how much better I have coped. Don’t get me wrong, it has been on my mind all the time but it hasn’t made be shutdown and I haven’t stopped enjoying time with family (i.e. distracted and just going through motions). I have been able to stop the thoughts mostly and tell myself I need to wait and see and that it could be something other than cancer (or could be, but treatable). The anxiety hasn’t robbed me of good times whilst waiting, would I have rather not had the issue on my mind? Of course .

I think you've done amazingly well Flump. Proud of ya!

Massive thanks to you Nora who have helped so much with your sticky post and also your caring but sensible replies!  I hope you get your referral on Sunday.

Sticky post? I think you have me confused with somebody else? But I'll take the rest. :winks: And you are very welcome. X

I also need to continue with positive actions, keep on reducing alcohol, keep doing some exercise and eat better. I am well padded and unfit and at nearly 50 I am doing myself and my anxious tendencies no favour!

You have a plan. Excellent! :shades:

Mother-in-law sadly is not looking so good as they are putting hospital bed in at home and increasing her morphine. Desperately sad, but at least I can focus fully on her, my husband and daughter now. Not that I wasn’t but well you know...

I'm so sorry to hear that, but try to remember that the 'good drugs' means that her suffering should be minimal - if at all. Big hugs.

Not sure whether they will suggest gallbladder removal (and I do wonder if this is the cause of some excruciating trapped wind episodes over last 2 years, where I can be doubled over lying on floor pretty much in tears not knowing where to put myself, sometimes being sick, but def relieved by deflatine eventually). Or maybe diet changes will help? Will see what doctor says, unless anyone any advice? Imagine a long wait for op anyway.

As far as I know, I don't think they remove the gallbladder unless it's giving you serious gyp. Personally, I'd be trying non-surgery things first, but you and your doc will work it out between you.

Re wind - I get this every so often and peppermint tea REALLY helps. I double-bag when I'm cramped up with it and it eases off..

Lots of love, a relieved flump xxx

I'm so pleased (albeit not surprised) at this positive outcome. More than that is how well you've coped with the waiting process. This is a BIG step towards recovery from HA, and you really should be proud of yourself. X :bighug1:

flumpkin
25-01-21, 23:25
Hey Nora, how did the consult go yesterday? Did you get your MRI a referral? I really hope you did!

Thanks for your reply. I was feeling really proud of myself and relieved. Thanks too for the comments regarding my mother-in-law we actually went to see her on Sat and were surprised how well she seemed. She has a lovely view from her window and we even managed to make her laugh a few times. She just got very sleepy as soon as had her meds.

Feeling a bit odd tonight as I had text from gp asking me to make appt this morning. I phoned and surprisingly got a telephone consult for this evening. I was expecting discussion on the gallstone with either diet suggestions or treatment options but she totally threw me by saying they found gallstone but don’t think it is the likely cause of the pain. Instead she asked a couple of questions about what made it worse / better (nothing) and clarified the location and then said she needed to see me and gave me an appt on weds morn in person. I was pretty settled after scan thinking was just a gallstone which is reasonably easy to sort but looks like back at square one with no idea what it is. I have no idea what she is thinking. Doubting what radiographer said now but sure she said things looked ok apart from gallstone (when I asked her), she did say I would have to wait really to discuss with gp once report issued, but I think that is standard. Guess a few more days of waiting and trying not to second guess as don’t know anything yet worth stressing about.

Love a confused flump x

BikerMatt
26-01-21, 00:33
Hi Nora

I have a gallstone trapped in neck of gallbladder

Absolutely a gallstone can cause your pain and especially if it's stuck in the neck of your gallbladder.

I'm sorry, but your GP is a plonker!

Try a low fat diet and see what happens pain wise.

Good luck

NoraB
26-01-21, 05:50
Hey Nora, how did the consult go yesterday? Did you get your MRI a referral? I really hope you did!

No MRI. Bloke wanted to shove a cam down my throat and test me for coeliac - which I thought I'd already been tested for a few months ago. He wanted to cancel my @rse cam for the endo but I don't want an endo unless absolutely required. But, he thinks this is an MSK/IBS combo given how movement affects pain. I'm still having @rse cam. It's a good idea with my changes in IBS and the colon cleanse might help to reset my bowels - plus, that sedation. :dribble:

If he finds nothing amiss (which I'm expecting) then I'm presuming he'll move me onto MSK and then I'll get an MRI..

Thanks too for the comments regarding my mother-in-law we actually went to see her on Sat and were surprised how well she seemed. She has a lovely view from her window and we even managed to make her laugh a few times. She just got very sleepy as soon as had her meds.

Good to hear.

Feeling a bit odd tonight as I had text from gp asking me to make appt this morning. I phoned and surprisingly got a telephone consult for this evening. I was expecting discussion on the gallstone with either diet suggestions or treatment options but she totally threw me by saying they found gallstone but don’t think it is the likely cause of the pain. Instead she asked a couple of questions about what made it worse / better (nothing) and clarified the location and then said she needed to see me and gave me an appt on weds morn in person. I was pretty settled after scan thinking was just a gallstone which is reasonably easy to sort but looks like back at square one with no idea what it is. I have no idea what she is thinking. Doubting what radiographer said now but sure she said things looked ok apart from gallstone (when I asked her), she did say I would have to wait really to discuss with gp once report issued, but I think that is standard. Guess a few more days of waiting and trying not to second guess as don’t know anything yet worth stressing about.

I don't think gallstone pain would be felt in the lower quadrant but they scanned your abdomen (and pelvis?) and found nothing so I don't think you've anything to worry about flump. Didn't you say you've had this before a few years ago and nothing was found? Same for me too, only lower than where my pain is now (pelvis area) - and they found nothing wrong. You haven't had any operations on your abdomen have you? Laparotomies' anything like that?

You know what it's like with HA - our minds go through all sorts of scenarios only to speak to a GP and find there was nothing to worry about. Just try to put it out of your mind and deal with it tomorrow. X

flumpkin
26-01-21, 21:34
Thanks Matt, I think it may be causing some issues potentially the trapped wind episodes at least and a low fat diet is probably a good idea anyway.

BikerMatt
26-01-21, 21:51
Thanks Matt, I think it may be causing some issues potentially the trapped wind episodes at least and a low fat diet is probably a good idea anyway.

Been in a kind of similar position to you. The thing is, if you do have a gallstone stuck in your gallbladder neck it can be removed via ERCP. If it's left, you could lose your gallbladder and yes, of course all your symptoms may not be anything to do with it, but a pesky little gallbladder can cause many issues in your digestive system. Push for answers Flumpkin

flumpkin
26-01-21, 21:59
No MRI. Bloke wanted to shove a cam down my throat and test me for coeliac - which I thought I'd already been tested for a few months ago. He wanted to cancel my @rse cam for the endo but I don't want an endo unless absolutely required. But, he thinks this is an MSK/IBS combo given how movement affects pain. I'm still having @rse cam. It's a good idea with my changes in IBS and the colon cleanse might help to reset my bowels - plus, that sedation. :dribble:

If he finds nothing amiss (which I'm expecting) then I'm presuming he'll move me onto MSK and then I'll get an MRI..

Just need to follow through the process then, ruling things out. Must admit never had endo but not something I fancy having! Have you a date for your @rse cam?

I don't think gallstone pain would be felt in the lower quadrant but they scanned your abdomen (and pelvis?) and found nothing so I don't think you've anything to worry about flump. Didn't you say you've had this before a few years ago and nothing was found? Same for me too, only lower than where my pain is now (pelvis area) - and they found nothing wrong. You haven't had any operations on your abdomen have you? Laparotomies' anything like that?

Yep scanned abdomen and then had internal scan checking womb and ovaries. Radiographer said looked at spleen, kidneys, pancreas, liver and gallbladder with the external ultrasound. She definitely said womb and ovaries looked ok and only mentioned gallstone on the external scan. I am pretty sure I asked if everything was ok and she said report was going to GP but there was a gallstone. Pesky HA makes you doubt yourself doesn't it?! (and wonder what she hasn't told me). I haven't had any operations but yes had an abdominal pain about 10 years ago which went after about 4 months (and a few weeks after a clear ultrasound). This pain is definitely higher up on the right side this time (but apparently not high enough) - occurs just under bra and down to hip and radiates to belly button and round to the back, previous pain was nearer hip and pelvis.

You know what it's like with HA - our minds go through all sorts of scenarios only to speak to a GP and find there was nothing to worry about. Just try to put it out of your mind and deal with it tomorrow. X
Ain't that the truth!! I am pretty concerned and have the HA voice asking why she needs to see me face to face when first dr felt my abdomen (particularly given how hard it is to get appt at the min) but know I don't really know anything until I see her. The text asking me to make appt to get results also said make a routine appt, so fingers crossed. Hopefully she is just being thorough. Plus to be fair I still have this pain, it hasn't changed and it would be good to get rid of it and find the cause. I think.

love flump xx

NoraB
27-01-21, 08:52
Have you a date for your @rse cam?

Not yet, but my sphincter will snap shut faster than a Venus fly-trap the moment the letter comes through. It remembers. :roflmao:

I haven't had any operations but yes had an abdominal pain about 10 years ago which went after about 4 months (and a few weeks after a clear ultrasound). This pain is definitely higher up on the right side this time (but apparently not high enough) - occurs just under bra and down to hip and radiates to belly button and round to the back, previous pain was nearer hip and pelvis.

Whenever doctors ask me if I've had any ops on my abdomen etc, I always say no, despite the fact I've had 2 laparotomies and a C section! :ohmy:

Hopefully she is just being thorough. Plus to be fair I still have this pain, it hasn't changed and it would be good to get rid of it and find the cause. I think.

Honestly Flump, if I had a pound for every time I've got my knickers in a twist about being summoned to my GP to 'discuss' test results to have them say, 'Yeah, there's nowt wrong.' - I'd be a millionaire!

I want to find the cause for my pain so that I can get rid of it. For all I know, I could be making the issue worse by something I'm doing or not doing. Meanwhile, Nora is epically fed up! :weep: X

flumpkin
27-01-21, 10:43
Not yet, but my sphincter will snap shut faster than a Venus fly-trap the moment the letter comes through. It remembers. :roflmao:

Brilliant! you do make me laugh :laugh:

Whenever doctors ask me if I've had any ops on my abdomen etc, I always say no, despite the fact I've had 2 laparotomies and a C section! :ohmy: See above :roflmao:

Honestly Flump, if I had a pound for every time I've got my knickers in a twist about being summoned to my GP to 'discuss' test results to have them say, 'Yeah, there's nowt wrong.' - I'd be a millionaire!

Yeah, just tricksy HA trying to wheedle its way back in! In fact just back from Drs and she wanted to examine abdomen herself as the lower pain makes no sense with the ultrasound results. She was lovely. I mentioned the trapped wind episodes and she says that is definitely gallstone and is referring me to a surgeon to see about removal. The pain under rib and round back matches this and so thinks likely will need gallbladder removing. The fact I had never mentioned the trapped wind despite it being quite severe at times was why she was erring away from gallbladder. To be honest having HA I think it is only unexplained symptoms that send me into a tizz and the fact there was OTC stuff to treat it, I assumed was just normal for some people :doh: so didn't go to doctors seeking any reassurance. Need to realise doctors are not just there to tell me I won't die (we have had this conversation and I am starting to accept I will along with everyone else!) She is still confused by the lower pain near hip and into pelvis but says ultrasound was fine in that area. She says could be referred pain, unusual but possible and that she thinks only way to tell is remove the gallbladder and see if it goes. In meantime I think less alcohol (only odd glass at weekend) and lower fat is all I can do for now. Plus keep the gentle exercise. Not thrilled about surgery but will be nice to stop these episodes and the pain.

I want to find the cause for my pain so that I can get rid of it. For all I know, I could be making the issue worse by something I'm doing or not doing. Meanwhile, Nora is epically fed up! :weep: X
I totally get that, our pain started around same time and mine is not keeping me awake! I really hope you get answers soon mate.

love flump xx

NoraB
29-01-21, 07:53
Not thrilled about surgery but will be nice to stop these episodes and the pain.

I'm pleased that you have an answer for the pain though Flump. The pelvic pain? You may never have an answer for it. That's been the case with me numerous times... X

pulisa
29-01-21, 08:08
Pelvic floor muscle dysfunction is responsible for many types of pelvic pain...especially when you have an anxiety disorder. Completely benign though.

NoraB
29-01-21, 08:18
Pelvic floor muscle dysfunction is responsible for many types of pelvic pain...especially when you have an anxiety disorder. Completely benign though.

I had a pelvic issue last year. Not my usual pelvic pain type of thing though. Turned out to be ;minor' inflammation which an MRI showed up but that inflammation affected a large area because of the nerves down there - inc pudendal nerve - which is why I think I had all those issues. It felt like there were tennis balls in my buttocks, up me bum and inside my fadge. I literally couldn't straighten up and had to use a walking stick for a few months. The only relief I got was when I was lying down! Horrible!! This is what you get for spending too much time sat on your @rse when you have fibro! :scared15: