PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety about food getting stuck causing it to happen

emmc
06-11-20, 18:20
It started a while ago where it felt like I couldn’t swallow and now nothing can go down. I lost quite a bit of weight which obviously caused a cancer worry but then it fades but it’s come back awfully again. I get anxiety about eating at all causing me to avoid meals which isn’t good and now I’m losing weight again. If anyone has experienced this are there any ways you deal with it? Every time I eat I don’t choke but it doesn’t stop me thinking I do.

Pea Tear Griffin
06-11-20, 20:31
Are you having any muscle tightness in your throat? mine tightens up sometimes which gives me that feeling.

emmc
06-11-20, 20:51
Are you having any muscle tightness in your throat? mine tightens up sometimes which gives me that feeling.

I think so? Anxiety around food since I was a child tho but for allergic reactions never choking. I get a feeling like the food won’t go down unless I have a drink but it isn’t every single time I eat it’s comes and goes so I think it’s in my head but it’s really just making my life hell. Im not really sure what to do about it at all at this point.

Fishmanpa
06-11-20, 23:03
I actually have swallowing issues due to treatment from Head and Neck cancer. The days of picking up a bite to eat, even something as simple as a cookie without having something to wash it down with have been over 7+ years. It doesn't come and go. Its permanently that way and part of my new normal.

IMO, what you describe truly is psychological in nature as it comes and goes and you admit just the thought of eating causes you anxiety. I truly would seek real life professional help to help you overcome the fear and the subsequent psycho/physical reaction.

Positive thoughts

NoraB
07-11-20, 10:30
I lost quite a bit of weight which obviously caused a cancer worry but then it fades but it’s come back awfully again.

Losing weight is a cancer concern only when it can't be attributed to other things..

I get anxiety about eating at all causing me to avoid meals which isn’t good and now I’m losing weight again.

Which is why you can eliminate the weight loss/cancer fear as you are purposely avoiding eating.

It started a while ago where it felt like I couldn’t swallow and now nothing can go down.

Every time I eat I don’t choke but it doesn’t stop me thinking I do.

But I thought you said that 'nothing' was going down? Or have I misinterpreted? :huh:

emmc
07-11-20, 18:49
But I thought you said that 'nothing' was going down? Or have I misinterpreted? :huh:[/QUOTE]

it was a mistake sorry I didn’t mean to write it like that. I meant it feels like nothing can go down even when it clearly is does that make sense?
I do realise it’s mainly in my head which is why I came here jusr wondering if anyone experienced similar because I just can’t find anything about it which sets of the health anxiety.

NoraB
08-11-20, 08:10
But I thought you said that 'nothing' was going down? Or have I misinterpreted? :huh:

it was a mistake sorry I didn’t mean to write it like that. I meant it feels like nothing can go down even when it clearly is does that make sense?

Me being literal then lol

Yes it makes sense, and it's common with anxiety...

I do realise it’s mainly in my head which is why I came here jusr wondering if anyone experienced similar because I just can’t find anything about it which sets of the health anxiety.

I've explained this recently to somebody else (unless it was you?) that the muscles in the throat (and everywhere else) naturally tighten with the stress response and in the case with the throat it causes a sensation where it feels like food (or drink) isn't going down properly. The more we focus on this symptom, the worse it becomes. It's an unpleasant symptom, for sure, but it's not harmful, and it will go away once you stop focusing on it.