PDA

View Full Version : Constant Thenar Twitching/ Fasciculations for 4 days

Frightened
15-11-20, 12:37
Hi,

I am having a hard time right now as my thenar muscle has been twitching almost constantly for 4 days. Prior to the twitching, I was experiencing some sharp pains on the edge of the thenar, and it does feel like my grip is weaker than it used to be.

I have had fasciculations all over my body for 3 and a half years now. If I don't think about them, I barely ever notice them, but they are pretty much always there. I once read that you weren't safe from ALS until 5+ years, and this twitch is so constant and keeps me awake that I'm worried the weakness is finally starting. Thenar twitches always seem to be so much more worrying than other areas, because of the ALS association with that muscle and where it often starts.

Murphy93
15-11-20, 18:07
I’m not going to lie reading this post triggered me a little as I have been suffering with body wide twitching and tremors for 2 years now .

I’ve been taking vitamins and anti anxiety meds to try and get a grip of it.

I tend not to twitch when I’m busy and getting in with my job etc , I’m sure you are fine since being on this forum I’ve discovered that almost everyone has twitched at some point with people twitching for numerous years and all healthy still .

I hope you are okay as I know how debilitating this fear can be .

ckelley116
15-11-20, 20:57
Hi,

I am having a hard time right now as my thenar muscle has been twitching almost constantly for 4 days. Prior to the twitching, I was experiencing some sharp pains on the edge of the thenar, and it does feel like my grip is weaker than it used to be.

I have had fasciculations all over my body for 3 and a half years now. If I don't think about them, I barely ever notice them, but they are pretty much always there. I once read that you weren't safe from ALS until 5+ years, and this twitch is so constant and keeps me awake that I'm worried the weakness is finally starting. Thenar twitches always seem to be so much more worrying than other areas, because of the ALS association with that muscle and where it often starts.

My thenar muscle twitches all the time. A few years ago I had a terrible bout of carpal tunnel syndrome - sudden-onset with 24/7 numbness. I eventually had a steroid shot that worked extremely well, but the damage was done and I did lose some muscle fiber. The pad at the base of my thumb, on the palm side, is also noticeably flatter than the other hand. So the muscle is not as strong now, and tends to tire out pretty quickly, especially considering how much time I spend typing and using a mouse for my job. Sometimes I can watch my thumb jerk back and forth. It used to freak me out, but not anymore.

If you spend a lot of time doing computer work or texting/playing on your phone, it’s most likely that your muscle is just tired.

Fishmanpa
15-11-20, 23:01
So I had to look it up as I didn't know what it was just as most people. Dr. Google at work for sure! So yeah, I've had mine twitch... So what? You have a cause and effect. It is what it is.

Positive thoughts

NoraB
16-11-20, 06:57
I feel like I've just had to do some homework, and at 6.51 am! :scared15:

So, basically this fancy sounding thread should be titled 'Constant Thumb Twitching' because that's what this is, and who hasn't had this at some point? :shrug:

Anything can cause this - down to lifting weights, gaming, typing, carrying a bag, playing sports - the list goes on and on..

You know what though, the more you focus on this, the worse it will seem.