PDA

View Full Version : wanting to introduce myself

joannap
29-10-07, 11:45
my name is joanna and i have just posted my 1st post! i have suffered from panic/anxiety/ocd for about 10 years now since i was 22. i have taken v short courses of anti depressants in the past - prozac/citalopram/lustral and then lustral for the past 4 years which (touchwood) have always worked for me but as soon as i have felt better i have stopped them. i feel it is a stress thing for me - i need to recognise my limitations and not pile stress on myself as this builds up the symptoms until they result in a kind of mini breakdown.

the latest one (began 3 weeks ago) was when i had come off my antidepressants (stupidly) when i was going through a terrible time helping to look after my grandma, starting a new job and our dog having pups. i managed to pull myself out of 2 setbacks with acceptance alone but the third one walloped me - happened on holiday which was even worse! - and i then spent the next week in a state of literal terror - could not eat, cried all the time, felt like there was no hope etc. i resisted going back on a'd's but have now started citalopram 20mg - been on it for 9 days and CANNOT sleep which is making me feel pretty grim. the actual panic attacks have stopped and i am calmer but feel that is down to me accepting it and breathing deeply when i feel anxious.

my main symptoms are anxiety and intrusive thoughts - thoughts of harming others, abusing kids (not nice but i tell myself the real child abusers would not be posting on here!), hurting my pets (why are nice thoughts never involved?!) and wierd thoughts about pollution, how things are made etc - its almost as if i have become responsible for the way the world is and all its problems overnight! one thing that does help me is that if i get these thoughts - if i breathe through the anxiety - 20 mins later i can see them for the irrational thoughts they really are. its almost as if our minds get so tired we cannot banish them overnight and so i suppose we have to let them be there for the time being.

anway - its such a relief to know that others are going through similar experiences. jo x

Believe
29-10-07, 12:03
Hello Jo,

Welcome to NMP. Hope you enjoy your stay. Have a read on the left side there are lots of great things there. Hope to see you around.

Check out chat if you get a chance, there's always people in there.

Take Care
Believe

I Believe That We All Will Get Better!

D_Blaze
29-10-07, 14:08
Hi Joanna. Welcome to the site! I can relate to your post. I too am on antidepressants. I too have quit taking them when I have felt well and then have had more problems. I think stress does play a large role. I have come to accept for myself that I need to stay on the a.ds. Im one of the unfortunate people that stress causes changes in the chemistry of my brain and no amount of therapy, pma, or such is giong to change that. I am though doing that with the anxiety/pas as doc doesnt want to give me more meds and I dont want to take em. :)

Talk to your GP about the citro. It sounds similar to a reaction that I had to Zoloft. Played heck with sleep and vivid thoughts dreams of violence. Still deal with my obsessive thoughts and some anxiety but switching to a different a.ds combo (prozac/trazadone) stopped the violent thoughts.

Blaze

joannap
29-10-07, 14:32
hi blaze

thanks for post. have read that it can take 2 weeks for meds to even start to kick in - i had these thoughts before i began on them - i had them even on lustral when under a lot of stress so think its sensible to wait a while longer - think the thoughts may have increased but who knows - i may have been even worse without the citalopram! i don't really want to be switching yet if there is no need and citalopram has worked for me in the past. everytime i have started on antidepressants i have had no sleep for several weeks but it passes when the drug has built in my system so know i have to ride it out but it is annoying! i am back at the doctors in just over a week so i will wait and see.

Lindalou64
29-10-07, 15:55
Hello Joan And Welcome To The Site.......linda

honeybee3939
29-10-07, 16:43
Hi Joanna

Welcome to Nmp, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get lots of great advice support and make new friends too.:smile:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

groovygranny
29-10-07, 20:48
Hello Johanna:welcome:to you!

Well, you've come to the right place for help and support - I'm an ex Citalopram-er myself and it worked wonders for me. And this site has proved invaluable.

We're all in the same boat here so no need to feel alone!

Pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

Nibbles
29-10-07, 20:51
Hi Joanna and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

nomorepanic
29-10-07, 22:03
Hi Jo

:welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Southern_Belle
29-10-07, 23:30
Hi Joanna,

Welcome to NMP. I would also stay on the meds a bit longer to see if they kick in. You wil find alot of support here.

Hugs,

Laura

joannap
30-10-07, 11:53
thanks for all the lovely messages of support and welcome! jo xx:hugs:

funky chick
30-10-07, 13:08
Hi Jo, and :welcome: to Nmp. hope you will soon feel better xx:hugs:

sandlin
30-10-07, 17:02
Welcome joanna
stress does play a major part in it all- i've been almost back to my self since not being at work for a few months even though im bored(back in january). Also i've decided that prozac will be my lifelong companion and thats it.

Linda xx