PDA

View Full Version : Chronically missing a step when walking upstairs

rachelrosary
16-11-20, 21:33
Recently I've become very worried about the fact that when I'm walking upstairs (never down) that I'll often randomly skip a step, doing one big step and giving myself a fright. I would say this happens only near the top of the staircase, around the second to last step, and it would happen maybe 1 out of every 10 times. It even happens if I'm concentrating on not doing it. If I walk slowly it doesn't happen, it usually happens when I'm distracted and not looking at the steps, but not always. It makes me think that there's something wrong with my brain and it isn't calculating properly. I don't fall over ever, and I can run down the stairs with no issues. I'm very worried about MS or ALS, though I'm not saying this is connected to ALS. I do wear glasses and I've thought it could be to do with looking up and not being able to see properly out of the bottom of them.

I would love to hear if anyone else does this. I feel very uncomfortable if I have to climb the stairs without hanging on to the railing, and I'm giving myself a complex. The one thing that makes me feel better is that I know I've been doing it for at least 3 years. I first noticed it 3 years ago, and that was just because I started at a job with a staircase, and I'd never actually worked or lived anywhere with a staircase before.

Fishmanpa
16-11-20, 22:57
Your post actually explains it all....

Positive thoughts

NoraB
17-11-20, 05:39
I'm very worried about MS or ALS, though I'm not saying this is connected to ALS. I do wear glasses and I've thought it could be to do with looking up and not being able to see properly out of the bottom of them.

When I 'had' MS this was one of my symptoms. I almost fell down the stairs once having missed my footing and occasionally I would go to place my foot down and it felt like there was nothing there. As 'scary' as these symptoms were I don't have MS. It was more to do with not concentrating fully on what I was doing and HA doing the rest. :whistles: