PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal that a 15 year old hates television?

Liam2021
20-11-20, 22:59
Hi everyone, i thought i'll make a post about this here. I am 15 and i do not watch any television, i do not like it. My mum and my sisters love the telly, they watch EastEnders, Corrie street, Emmerdale, i'm a celeb, Britain's got talent and i don't know what else but a bunch of stuff. Well i just leave the room and i go and sit in my bedroom at night, we sit at the dinner table for a meal and i sit with my mum and sisters for an hour every evening to talk and then as soon as she puts the television on the three of them sit glued to the telly and i am bored and i have to go out the room. i do admit at the weekends i can spend too much time on my PlayStation and sometimes i spend too much time online but i totally don't get what people like about EastEnders or corrie street or the reality shows, i find them all boring.

Am i weird? ha

nomorepanic
20-11-20, 23:08
You don't have to watch TV if you don't want to.

I don't understand people who spend hours and hours playing games like you do so it is swings and roundabouts.

WiredIncorrectly
21-11-20, 01:40
Hi everyone, i thought i'll make a post about this here. I am 15 and i do not watch any television, i do not like it. My mum and my sisters love the telly, they watch EastEnders, Corrie street, Emmerdale, i'm a celeb, Britain's got talent and i don't know what else but a bunch of stuff. Well i just leave the room and i go and sit in my bedroom at night, we sit at the dinner table for a meal and i sit with my mum and sisters for an hour every evening to talk and then as soon as she puts the television on the three of them sit glued to the telly and i am bored and i have to go out the room. i do admit at the weekends i can spend too much time on my PlayStation and sometimes i spend too much time online but i totally don't get what people like about EastEnders or corrie street or the reality shows, i find them all boring.

Am i weird? ha

Welcome :)

I think it's awesome that you don't like television. I dislike it too. Playing games is cool. I play CS:GO and a game called Prison Architect when I have some spare time. Watching television and playing a lot of games is similar though. Both will cause you to stare at a screen :shades:

Do you like to read?

Lencoboy
21-11-20, 16:45

Am i weird? ha

No, you're certainly not weird.

When I was your age back in the early 90s I was very much the same as you as I gave a lot of stuff on the box a wide berth simply because it didn't appeal to me and I was told I was boring and ridiculed because I used to sit in my room a lot listening to music, reading, drawing, etc, and failed to 'fit in' with the rest of the household, plus also my peers at school.

You are yourself and you don't have to ritualistically watch EastEnders, Corrie, Emmerdale, BGT, I'm A Celeb, etc in order to keep up with the Jones's.

Even today at the age of 43, many of those old chestnuts on the box still bore me to tears, but each to one's own if feeling compelled to watch every single episode religiously, which I personally wouldn't be seen dead doing!!

At least you sit down together as a family for meals, etc, which is really nice.

debs71
25-11-20, 18:22
Nope. You're not weird at all, Liam.

When I was your age, I spent the vast majority of my time in my room alone, either reading, listening to music or watching videos (back in the old days when they HAD videos) I never watched TV much at all.

I am now 49 years old and even now, I NEVER watch TV. Most of it is rubbish anyway - just a load of reality TV nonsense or depressing drama programmes. I must admit that I do like EastEnders, Corrie and Neighbours (yes....sad I know :D) but I only watch them online on the channel websites. Other than those three shows, I find stuff on Youtube to watch, or play a lot of games on my tablet. My TV just sits collecting dust at the moment!

My family are like yours. My parents and sister just love their TV and watch everything under the sun - Strictly (which I LOATHE), all the police drama shows/historical dramas and get really enthusiastic about it all. I don't get it at all, but hey, everyone is different.

Don't worry at all. We all like doing our own thing and if you are not a big TV fan, it is no big deal. You like what you like and that is perfectly ok! :yesyes:

Lencoboy
25-11-20, 18:27
Nope. You're not weird at all, Liam.

When I was your age, I spent the vast majority of my time in my room alone, either reading, listening to music or watching videos (back in the old days when they HAD videos) I never watched TV much at all.

I am now 49 years old and even now, I NEVER watch TV. Most of it is rubbish anyway - just a load of reality TV nonsense or depressing drama programmes. I must admit that I do like EastEnders, Corrie and Neighbours (yes....sad I know :D) but I only watch them online on the channel websites. Other than those three shows, I find stuff on Youtube to watch, or play a lot of games on my tablet. My TV just sits collecting dust at the moment!

My family are like yours. My parents and sister just love their TV and watch everything under the sun - Strictly (which I LOATHE), all the police drama shows/historical dramas and get really enthusiastic about it all. I don't get it at all, but hey, everyone is different.

Don't worry at all. We all like doing our own thing and if you are not a big TV fan, it is no big deal. You like what you like and that is perfectly ok! :yesyes:

Has the X-Factor been cancelled this year due to Covid?

pulisa
25-11-20, 19:43

Due to "it's past its sell-by date" more like?

Lencoboy
25-11-20, 20:47
Due to "it's past its sell-by date" more like?

Inclined to agree with you there Pulisa, especially as the last time its winner had a Christmas #1 was in 2014, and the show was seemingly already a pale shadow of its former self by then.

The XF should have been given the heave-ho in 2016 or 2017 IMO, especially given the winner of the 2015 season was the first in several years not to have the festive #1.

NoraB
26-11-20, 07:09

Fingers crossed.

Lencoboy
26-11-20, 10:26
Fingers crossed.

I think it's now naturally exhausted itself anyway. Also very few new-release singles are available in hard copy formats (CD and vinyl) nowadays anyway.

I read somewhere online last night that XF was already cancelled (at least) for 2020 back in February, just before Covid really started to explode in this country, but I dare say that Covid would have no doubt put the final spanner in the works.

ankietyjoe
26-11-20, 12:20
X-Factor income wasn't generated by single sales, it was generated by premium rate phone in voting.

MyNameIsTerry
26-11-20, 15:20
The Voice might have killed it off. Similar format but done better. They raised that concern when they bought it out.

It's all just about Cowell making money anyway. This year's new shiny sparkly thing then binned. Some do really well though but many get relegated to reality TV (still a nicer earner than shelf stacking or admin though).

debs71
26-11-20, 15:26
I don't know. Lencoboy.

I hate all those talent shows. All fixed in my opinion!

Lencoboy
26-11-20, 15:55
I don't know. Lencoboy.

I hate all those talent shows. All fixed in my opinion!

Totally agreed Debs.

It's about time they were put to bed for once and for all. Even those who still watch them religiously (no doubt partially to keep up with the Jones's) get indignant about them and slag them off. I'm kind of glad TOTP was retired when it was (back in summer 2006 IIRC) as it in itself would no doubt be tainted and heavily derided by now, either had it continued beyond 2006 or subsequently been revived.

Although I was still sad to see TOTP finally go the way of the dodo back then, it had mostly lost its purpose, no doubt due to increased competition from other programmes and forms of entertainment. I think it had already been in steady decline for approximately 10 years before its final demise.

NoraB
27-11-20, 07:10
I think it's now naturally exhausted itself anyway.

My issue with these 'talent' shows is that most bands and artists work their arses off and have to climb a very long and arduous ladder to success whereas now you just have to have a sad back-story and you've got a record deal. There's no question that there is some genuine talent in these shows, but they're mostly popularity contests innit? Because viewers get to choose who goes through and who doesn't. People are voting for who they fancy, or because that lad reminds them of their grandson, or that fit girl, or somebody they just feel sorry for - rather than basing their votes on actual talent. :shrug:

Noivous
27-11-20, 11:32

Am i weird? ha

You sound like the most normal one of the bunch! Good for you lad. Cut your own path in life. 95% of TV is total drivel. God bless.

MRS STRESS ED
28-11-20, 11:33

Oh at last l can something good has come out of covid 😂😅