PDA

View Full Version : My COVID Prediction

WiredIncorrectly
24-11-20, 10:43
I'm pretty good at predicting what will happen with COVID. Must be a knack.

Anyway, I predict by the end of January we'll be locked down again. The numbers do not satisfy unlocking the lockdown when there's currently no vaccine for the masses.

My other hypothesis is lockdown is only being "unlocked" for Christmas spending. If they don't unlock people will flood to Amazon and eBay where the UK Government will not get the taxes.

Some may see my prediction as pessimistic. But, I think it's quite realistic given the situation.

ankietyjoe
24-11-20, 15:55
I don't know anybody that thinks it will be otherwise.

Restrictions have to stay in place until the Spring at the earliest when the seasonal variance drops off and vaccinations start becoming widespread.

NoraB
26-11-20, 07:14
This shit will continue until vaccines deal with the masses.

I expect Uncle Boris will place Manchester in Tier 3 later on - what's new? :shrug:

pulisa
26-11-20, 08:02
You've had a bellyful of shit in Manchester, Nora. I don't think King Andy will be allowed to interfere this time though.

My area Darn Sarf is probably going to be Tier 2 so small fry in comparison with you.

NoraB
26-11-20, 08:06
You've had a bellyful of shit in Manchester, Nora. I don't think King Andy will be allowed to interfere this time though.

My area Darn Sarf is probably going to be Tier 2 so small fry in comparison with you.

King Andy of Madchester is resigned to the fact I think - as are we all...:weep:

Pamplemousse
26-11-20, 12:48
As suspected, you've stayed in tier 3 - which is where we've gone to, from tier 1.

WiredIncorrectly
26-11-20, 13:35
The Oxford vaccine might not be as promising as first thought: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/26/manufacturing-error-clouds-oxfords-covid-19-vaccine-study-results/

We're in tier 3 too.

WiredIncorrectly
10-12-20, 11:25
The Oxford vaccine might not be as promising as first thought: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/26/manufacturing-error-clouds-oxfords-covid-19-vaccine-study-results/

We're in tier 3 too.

Looks like another lockdown is enroute. Nora is bang on tbh, this isn't going to change. Chances are for many of us is this will not change in our our lifetime.

MyNameIsTerry
10-12-20, 13:12
Looks like another lockdown is enroute. Nora is bang on tbh, this isn't going to change. Chances are for many of us is this will not change in our our lifetime.

But it also says those who had the lower dose were better protected. Buggering up the dose night have skewed the results higher? If so they need to look into whether their original projected dose is over the top.

I think it's actually an interesting unexpected outcome that may benefit them in terms of cost and production.

WiredIncorrectly
10-12-20, 14:05
But it also says those who had the lower dose were better protected. Buggering up the dose night have skewed the results higher? If so they need to look into whether their original projected dose is over the top.

I think it's actually an interesting unexpected outcome that may benefit them in terms of cost and production.

To my knowledge (could be incorrect) but there's currently no way of knowing how long the vaccine will last. If one presumes the vaccine will only provide short term vaccination then it poses a significant problem.

For it to work it would require mass vaccine rollout. Everybody have the jab at around about the same time. And this assumes everyone will have the vaccine.

If not, the vaccinated are still carriers, who pass it to the non vaccinated and the non vaccinated pass it back to the previously vaccinated who now need a re-jab again. There will be a large number of people who can't have the vaccine.

1 in 200 people have a nut allergy. That's one group of people that won't be able to have the current vaccine.

ankietyjoe
10-12-20, 14:12
To my knowledge (could be incorrect) but there's currently no way of knowing how long the vaccine will last. If one presumes the vaccine will only provide short term vaccination then it poses a significant problem.

For it to work it would require mass vaccine rollout. Everybody have the jab at around about the same time. And this assumes everyone will have the vaccine.

If not, the vaccinated are still carriers, who pass it to the non vaccinated and the non vaccinated pass it back to the previously vaccinated who now need a re-jab again. There will be a large number of people who can't have the vaccine.

1 in 200 people have a nut allergy. That's one group of people that won't be able to have the current vaccine.

With respect (again) J, you're completely wrong here and making some assumptions.

People with allergies CAN be vaccinated as there will be a number of options, and even those that DO react will be treated swiftly. Source, my sons best friend who has a lethal nut allergy and will be getting the vaccination as soon as possible with the proper monitoring.

Furthermore, the point of the vaccine isn't just to stop people getting the virus, it's also to stop the virus mutating as fast as it would otherwise, and to encourage global herd immunity, effectively stopping the spread dead.

Furthermore (2) - The first round of vaccinations can help boost the immune response to a point that your body knows how to react to any altered strains in the future, creating a far smaller global health issue than we currently experience. Source, a friend of mine in the USA who is a clinical research biologist (with a speciality in RNA vaccines, mostly for cancer research) who I have been talking to about this since day one.

You can't just look at this as a black and white issue where a vaccine has to be 100% effective AND everybody has to have it or 'what's the point'.

Gary A
10-12-20, 14:29

60% effective at absolute worst is a good result. It’s also up to 90% effective. We need to wait for more study to be put into this vaccine before racing to conclusions.

Let’s say for talking sake the vaccine is only 60% effective. That means that infection and death rates would be 60% less than what they are right now. Combine that with advancements in treatment and the fact that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is far from the only vaccine that will be available, we have multiple weapons against this.

We need to stop treating this virus like some indestructible harbinger of the apocalypse. The biggest problem we have with it is how young it is. It’s still only been in existence for around a year and if you consider that in that time we have sequenced it’s genetics, found a weakness and produced a vaccine that will exploit that weakness. That’s a remarkable achievement in such a short time, so to say that we won’t see a change to this in our lifetimes is just not reality.

WiredIncorrectly
10-12-20, 14:30
Joe, my predictions have been correct numerous times. I don't claim to hold any special powers but it's logical. I hope in a years time I can eat my own hat mate, but sadly I think we'll still be in this same predicament.

Only time will tell on this one.

Ps. I said "If one presumes". Which means what I am saying is not fact, but a thing that could in the future be a concern. I've ensured all my words are correct so one can not assume I am speaking in tin foil hat mode. The world needs the pessimist as much as the optimist.

WiredIncorrectly
10-12-20, 14:31
60% effective at absolute worst is a good result. It’s also up to 90% effective. We need to wait for more study to be put into this vaccine before racing to conclusions.

Let’s say for talking sake the vaccine is only 60% effective. That means that infection and death rates would be 60% less than what they are right now. Combine that with advancements in treatment and the fact that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is far from the only vaccine that will be available, we have multiple weapons against this.

We need to stop treating this virus like some indestructible harbinger of the apocalypse. The biggest problem we have with it is how young it is. It’s still only been in existence for around a year and if you consider that in that time we have sequenced it’s genetics, found a weakness and produced a vaccine that will exploit that weakness. That’s a remarkable achievement in such a short time, so to say that we won’t see a change to this in our lifetimes is just not reality.

Please can everybody on this thread not turn this into another pissing debate.

Please ensure you know what the word "presumes" means. Don't get me started on this today. I'm in a foul mood already.

WiredIncorrectly
10-12-20, 14:32
I need to do an article on this. Too many people here (and elsewhere) don't know how to interpret what is written.

WiredIncorrectly
10-12-20, 14:35
My signature makes it perfectly clear now. Don't even start this one.

MyNameIsTerry
10-12-20, 15:04

And that's a very simple assumption since breaking the pattern of spread will only increase that % as less people are able to pass it on. Some may never come into contact with others who have it or be close enough to transmit it. So, 60% would be a very safe figure.

ankietyjoe
10-12-20, 15:31
I've ensured all my words are correct so one can not assume I am speaking in tin foil hat mode.

Well no they're not. They're completely 100% incorrect about the allergy sufferers not getting the vaccine.

They will get the vaccine, with precautions in place to avoid or treat any kind of reaction. Just the same as they do with every single child that has any kind of vaccine in a school setting.

If you're bothered about the way I pick at some of your posts, rest assured that I am equally as vociferous about similar half truths I see on both social media AND face to face with friends and family. There is SO much bullshit being spread about this virus AND the vaccines, we don't actually need MORE ignorant pessimism. It's a dangerous precedent for Covid denial.

Gary A
10-12-20, 17:15
Please can everybody on this thread not turn this into another pissing debate.

Please ensure you know what the word "presumes" means. Don't get me started on this today. I'm in a foul mood already.

Oh I forgot, unless everybody completely agrees with every word you type you throw a world class hissy.

Sorry, my mistake for only trying to put things into a bit less of a gloomy perspective.

NoraB
11-12-20, 07:15

When you take a peek at a thread and see the shit that's going down...:yesyes:

Lencoboy
11-12-20, 10:10
Understandably, there are a lot of 'what ifs' ATM and of course the serial (and seemingly untouchable) CTers and the like having field days ATM and many people simply refusing to believe the 'real' experts, but choose to believe the egotistical smart alec 'know-it-alls' on social media who are, all to often, in pursuit of their own proverbial 'fifteen minutes of fame'!

I think we all need to just wait and see and give the vaccines and other anti-Covid measures a chance, rather than jump to quick conclusions.

WiredIncorrectly
11-12-20, 12:31
The fact remains people here need to learn how to read and need to learn what a presumption means if they're going to hit their keys like warriors.

I've fixed my signature to something less bold. But the statement remains.

Sick of all these folk lapping up whatever the newspaper tells them. Bloody fools.

I've predicted many times where COVID is going. You all laugh like I'm some muppet but where's the people saying "Oh yeah, James was right that time". Non. Instead I get told "Don't gloat on your prediction".

This was entirely my own logic not watching some video or article from a conspiracy fk*tard. COVID is going nowhere. Man can't defeat a virus. You're a fool if you think we can. This is global and going absolutely no where. You can wrap yourself up in the false hope being peddled by the media. The Government wont say how things really are because it will cause mass panic and mass fear which will obliterate the economy.

Who told me the above? NOBODY! I read it nowhere. It's fact. It's common sense.

Ignore me I'm just an idiot who knows fk* all. Infact you're all idiots like me who knows fk* all so close these threads because nobody here can argue or defend anything. Nobody here is an expert, me included.

This COVID forum has shown peoples true colors and done nothing but damage this forum. I dislike this place.

Gary A
11-12-20, 13:57
The fact remains people here need to learn how to read and need to learn what a presumption means if they're going to hit their keys like warriors.

Bit rich isn’t it? Your last sig was basically a threat, now you’re accusing others of being keyboard warriors?

I've fixed my signature to something less bold. But the statement remains.

It’s still an arrogant ranty pile of angry drivel.

Sick of all these folk lapping up whatever the newspaper tells them. Bloody fools.

There it is again. Arrogant, ranty and angry.

I've predicted many times where COVID is going. You all laugh like I'm some muppet but where's the people saying "Oh yeah, James was right that time". Non. Instead I get told "Don't gloat on your prediction".

No you haven’t. You like to say you have, but you haven’t. The worlds best scientific minds are struggling to predict how this plays out.

This was entirely my own logic not watching some video or article from a conspiracy fk*tard. COVID is going nowhere. Man can't defeat a virus. You're a fool if you think we can. This is global and going absolutely no where. You can wrap yourself up in the false hope being peddled by the media. The Government wont say how things really are because it will cause mass panic and mass fear which will obliterate the economy.

Well if you want to overindulge in misery and defeatism that’s entirely up to you. If you want to publicly preach it here people are going to have something to say about it. You don’t scare me or anyone with your threats and angry outbursts.

Who told me the above? NOBODY! I read it nowhere. It's fact.

No, it’s your opinion, not a fact.

Ignore me I'm just an idiot who knows fk* all. Infact you're all idiots like me who knows fk* all so close these threads because nobody here can argue or defend anything. Nobody here is an expert, me included.

Well then what are you ranting about? Why shouldn’t we all be able to express our opinions and views? Or is it that you just want to rant all day and have everyone tickling your ar*e about how awesome your opinions are?

This COVID forum has shown peoples true colors and done nothing but damage this forum. I dislike this place.

It’s certainly shown you as an angry rant merchant who loses the place over any opinion that’s doesn’t agree with his. If you dislike it, go away. Nobody is forcing you to be here. Honestly, I’m not going to enable you to act like this, your behaviour and reaction to some pretty simple opinions is absolutely appalling.

Lencoboy
11-12-20, 14:59
Bit rich isn’t it? Your last sig was basically a threat, now you’re accusing others of being keyboard warriors?

It’s still an arrogant ranty pile of angry drivel.

There it is again. Arrogant, ranty and angry.

No you haven’t. You like to say you have, but you haven’t. The worlds best scientific minds are struggling to predict how this plays out.

Well if you want to overindulge in misery and defeatism that’s entirely up to you. If you want to publicly preach it here people are going to have something to say about it. You don’t scare me or anyone with your threats and angry outbursts.

No, it’s your opinion, not a fact.

Well then what are you ranting about? Why shouldn’t we all be able to express our opinions and views? Or is it that you just want to rant all day and have everyone tickling your ar*e about how awesome your opinions are?

It’s certainly shown you as an angry rant merchant who loses the place over any opinion that’s doesn’t agree with his. If you dislike it, go away. Nobody is forcing you to be here. Honestly, I’m not going to enable you to act like this, your behaviour and reaction to some pretty simple opinions is absolutely appalling.

The fact is that despite the first Covid vaccine from Pfizer being doled out since Tuesday (8th) and various others now in the pipeline, the pandemic still very much remains with us in the meantime and at this stage it's still very much in the lap of the gods as to how things might (or might not) play out, but I am personally optimistic we (at least here in the UK) might at the very least be over the worst of the pandemic by about February-March time, though I could be wrong of course.

We can all but speculate to our hearts content about possible Armageddon-type scenarios concerning Covid, vaccines or not, but in the meantime I think we all need to be nice to each other and not constantly bicker over what might or might not happen, and to just try to be patient.

NoraB
11-12-20, 15:49
Gary, I'm looking at a thread started by you in 2016 where you were publicly threatening to leave the forum - something about losing your temper and being a self-confessed "argumentative git"? (your words, not mine)

So, it's maybe not the best idea to be publicly rinsing someone for losing their temper when you've got form yourself? :huh:

Gary A
11-12-20, 16:22
Gary, I'm looking at a thread started by you in 2016 where you were publicly threatening to leave the forum - something about losing your temper and being a self-confessed "argumentative git"? (your words, not mine)

So, it's maybe not the best idea to be publicly rinsing someone for losing their temper when you've got form yourself? :huh:

If there was a part in there that includes me threatening people and losing my shit over a perfectly reasonable response that was only designed to cheer me up then you might have a point.

Lencoboy
11-12-20, 17:45

Well I suppose people can change over time.

Let's face it, I sometimes used to have violent and aggressive outbursts myself back in the 90s, especially up until about 1996 or so, but I didn't know any better back then and often regret some of those actions now, even though I never fortunately caused anyone or anything any serious harm, nor did I mean any serious harm to anyone or anything.

I often used to behave in such a manner due to my frustrations at being treated like crap and misunderstood due to my disability, but up until then we had to basically learn to be normal.

WiredIncorrectly
11-12-20, 17:46
If there was a part in there that includes me threatening people and losing my shit over a perfectly reasonable response that was only designed to cheer me up then you might have a point.

Come on Gaz, you know love to brush people up the wrong way :shades:

We've all got nothing to do right now. I'm sure if we had better things to do we probably wouldn't be sat here calling each other numpties.
But on a serious note when somebody says "if one presumes" it most definitely does not mean "this is fact", or "this is going to happen" :doh:

In all fairness I was angry that my piece was worded in such a way it couldn't be taken as fact, yet people still read it as if I was speaking fact.

So can we rewind, and entertain the presumption. If you don't want to entertain the presumption there's no need to post.

WiredIncorrectly
11-12-20, 17:46
I often used to behave in such a manner due to my frustrations at being treated like crap and misunderstood due to my disability, but up until then we had to basically learn to be normal.

I couldn't have said that better Lencoboy.

Gary A
11-12-20, 17:54
Come on Gaz, you know love to brush people up the wrong way :shades:

We've all got nothing to do right now. I'm sure if we had better things to do we probably wouldn't be sat here calling each other numpties.
But on a serious note when somebody says "if one presumes" it most definitely does not mean "this is fact", or "this is going to happen" :doh:

In all fairness I was angry that my piece was worded in such a way it couldn't be taken as fact, yet people still read it as if I was speaking fact.

So can we rewind, and entertain the presumption. If you don't want to entertain the presumption there's no need to post.

Dude, I was trying to get you to stop being so gloomy. You seemed to be of a mind that this virus wouldn’t be controllable in our lifetime, I was merely trying to point out the advances we’ve made in one year so thinking it’s going to be like this for the foreseeable future is just not what the evidence suggests

I think it’s just a simple case of you needing to take a reply for what it is rather than just hitting the roof at the first sign of someone not agreeing with you.

pulisa
11-12-20, 18:12
"Allowing" and tolerating people having different opinions may be a tad challenging for some people on here...because it's much harder for them to accept and move on.

WiredIncorrectly
11-12-20, 19:24
Dude, I was trying to get you to stop being so gloomy. You seemed to be of a mind that this virus wouldn’t be controllable in our lifetime, I was merely trying to point out the advances we’ve made in one year so thinking it’s going to be like this for the foreseeable future is just not what the evidence suggests

I think it’s just a simple case of you needing to take a reply for what it is rather than just hitting the roof at the first sign of someone not agreeing with you.

I know mate. 70% of the time I can do this. 30% of the time I can't. Sometimes I'm flippant. Sometimes I speak before thinking. I'd make an awful president/PM. I think I'd be a Donald Trump tbh. Or a King Jung Un :roflmao:

Gary I wish I could see past the gloom, but for almost a year I've been riding hope and today we're in a bad situation in terms of numbers.

I was screaming at the radio when I heard lockdown was lifted. I was actually angry about it. Because, the way my brain sees things is there is nothing to stop the virus at the moment which means it's evident what will happen. The numbers will rise. It feels like the country is going around in circles and not learning from the previous mistakes.

It begs to question then why would the Government do this in December knowing what will happen? My only conclusion is to ensure people's money goes into the tax pot, instead of Amazon and eBay's pockets.

But my conclusion might be jumping the gun. And obviously I'm not saying that's what did happen. And I understand how that conclusion is mostly without evidence which could be considered conspiracy except I wouldn't peddle that around. It's just my conclusion from my previous knowledge about the shenanigan's Amazon and eBay pull when it comes to paying taxes in the UK.

I do enjoy discussion I just hate it when people think I'm wearing a tin foil hat. Or, I'm stupid. That's how I was made to feel all my life growing up throughout school and I'd react in the same way, and people would laugh, further getting me annoyed :(

Gary A
11-12-20, 20:22
Only speaking for myself, but I don’t think I treated you like you were wearing a tinfoil hat or that you were stupid. You just read like you were in a bit of a spiral and I tried to put a bit of perspective on it, that’s all.

MyNameIsTerry
11-12-20, 20:44
James, of course it's not fact, like so much we all post on here it's our opinion. No one on here can give facts about the future when the experts can't either.

The government said the last lockdown was just to slow it down to allow a more normal month. Business depends on this period and taking it away might mean liquidation to many.

I think a further lockdown or tightening after was always the plan. Ideally, as the docs wanted, it would be lockdown throughout. But they get to look at the narrow issue of health and not the economy. And health people tend to firefight i.e. reduce virus, worry about business owners having breakdowns later.

venusbluejeans
11-12-20, 20:56
closed pending admin review

will open again soon

venusbluejeans
11-12-20, 21:21
Open again... please keep it civil :)

NoraB
12-12-20, 06:34

Covid is a volatile subject, and most of us on here have mental health disorders. This year has taken it's toll on all of us. It's also part of forum life for folk to occasionally lose their shit now and then because we're human. My issue is with you tearing a strip off James when you, by your own admission, have historically lost your temper on here. How did you feel after you'd lost your shit? Bad enough to tell us you wanted to leave by the looks of it. So chances are you didn't feel very good about yourself? Given your history on here, I just think you could have been a little more forgiving Gary. That's all.

NoraB
12-12-20, 06:53
That's how I was made to feel all my life growing up throughout school and I'd react in the same way, and people would laugh, further getting me annoyed :(

You're my kind of human James. Interesting, a sense of humour, and it matters to you when you get it wrong. Another BIG plus - you're not afraid to apologise. :yesyes:

The last person who called me stupid got my NVQ in Childcare and Education (with merit) shoved into his face. :shades:

Gary A
12-12-20, 08:54
Covid is a volatile subject, and most of us on here have mental health disorders. This year has taken it's toll on all of us. It's also part of forum life for folk to occasionally lose their shit now and then because we're human. My issue is with you tearing a strip off James when you, by your own admission, have historically lost your temper on here. How did you feel after you'd lost your shit? Bad enough to tell us you wanted to leave by the looks of it. So chances are you didn't feel very good about yourself? Given your history on here, I just think you could have been a little more forgiving Gary. That's all.

Well that’s your issue. Enjoy it.

Only on this forum could someone actually threaten folk and the person who answers him back be chastised.

ankietyjoe
12-12-20, 11:32
Only speaking for myself, but I don’t think I treated you like you were wearing a tinfoil hat or that you were stupid. You just read like you were in a bit of a spiral and I tried to put a bit of perspective on it, that’s all.

This

Pamplemousse
12-12-20, 11:53
Only on this forum could someone actually threaten folk and the person who answers him back be chastised.

Aside from the immediate matter in hand, it's interesting that "trolling" is apparently permitted but calling someone out for it is not.

Gary A
12-12-20, 12:04
Aside from the immediate matter in hand, it's interesting that "trolling" is apparently permitted but calling someone out for it is not.

Just blame your anxiety. Honestly, the things I’ve seen excused by that one being wheeled out is enough to make your eyes bleed.

Last I checked, excusing bad behaviour, anxiety related or not, is called enabling. The point NoraB is missing is that I was called out for my behaviour at that time, sometimes repeatedly, and I also apologised. My “behaviour” that I apologised for was replying “cry me a river” to someone. Not nice but hardly threatening people is it?

The most annoying thing about it is that NoraB is only having a pop because she’s annoyed that I disagreed with her about something a few days ago. I’m quite happy to voice opinions, agree or disagree then move on. Perhaps more people around here should give it a bash, you’ll be a lot happier for it.

ankietyjoe
12-12-20, 13:18
The most annoying thing about it is that NoraB is only having a pop because she’s annoyed that I disagreed with her about something a few days ago. I’m quite happy to voice opinions, agree or disagree then move on. Perhaps more people around here should give it a bash, you’ll be a lot happier for it.

Again, this.

Disagreement is fine, disagree and let it go.

pulisa
12-12-20, 14:17
Again, this.

But nobody does:D Ah well..it all makes for a lively discussion in the fight for the Last Word!

ankietyjoe
12-12-20, 15:16
But nobody does:D Ah well..it all makes for a lively discussion in the fight for the Last Word!

Sometimes I think the issue is that people want to be right about everything all the time. That accusation has been levied at me, but I only really enter discussions I know I have information on, or that I have truly, truly educated myself in. I'm not talking about 'online research', I'm talking about months or even years of heavy study. Spending a day looking at articles online and cherry picking the 'research' you want to illustrate as your proof does not make you right about something.

If I really don't know about something for sure, I'll stay out of it. Actually I was corrected about something on a Covid thread the other day and I'm absolutely 100% fine with that. If you're wrong, apologise and LEARN.

Lencoboy
12-12-20, 16:34
Sometimes I think the issue is that people want to be right about everything all the time. That accusation has been levied at me, but I only really enter discussions I know I have information on, or that I have truly, truly educated myself in. I'm not talking about 'online research', I'm talking about months or even years of heavy study. Spending a day looking at articles online and cherry picking the 'research' you want to illustrate as your proof does not make you right about something.

If I really don't know about something for sure, I'll stay out of it. Actually I was corrected about something on a Covid thread the other day and I'm absolutely 100% fine with that. If you're wrong, apologise and LEARN.

I think you've definitely hit the nail on the head there.

The trouble is, we as a society have revelled in a 'blame culture' and denial of ever being wrong for far too long now, even long predating the Internet, in fact.

I reckon the events of the past year or so have really made us realise how endemic said culture and attitudes are that have been shrugged off and remained 'elephants in the room' for donkeys years now.

ankietyjoe
12-12-20, 17:45
I think you've definitely hit the nail on the head there.

The trouble is, we as a society have revelled in a 'blame culture' and denial of ever being wrong for far too long now, even long predating the Internet, in fact.

I reckon the events of the past year or so have really made us realise how endemic said culture and attitudes are that have been shrugged off and remained 'elephants in the room' for donkeys years now.

Yes, and on top of that the massive overvaluation of individual opinion and 'freedom'.

Society works because people come together and follow a set of collective rules, not because each and every person can do and say whatever they want.

pulisa
12-12-20, 17:56
Yes, and on top of that the massive overvaluation of individual opinion and 'freedom'.

Society works because people come together and follow a set of collective rules, not because each and every person can do and say whatever they want.

Illustrates the problems we have had as a society adhering to collective rules this year?

ankietyjoe
12-12-20, 18:58
Illustrates the problems we have had as a society adhering to collective rules this year?

Absolutely.

It's quite terrifying that so many people are so adamant that they won't even put a mask on their face under the guise of 'personal liberty'. It highlights such a huge level of ignorant selfishness.

Even if I was on the fence about Covid, I'd still just put a mask on BECAUSE IT ISN'T A BIG DEAL!

Lencoboy
12-12-20, 19:01
Absolutely.

It's quite terrifying that so many people are so adamant that they won't even put a mask on their face under the guise of 'personal liberty'. It highlights such a huge level of ignorant selfishness.

Even if I was on the fence about Covid, I'd still just put a mask on BECAUSE IT ISN'T A BIG DEAL!

And they're convinced their human rights have been eroded after being denied their ritual multiple trips to Spain this year!!

pulisa
12-12-20, 19:41
Unfortunately "mental health" now appears to encompass inconvenience and refusal to make adjustments to lifestyle choices when requested.

BikerMatt
12-12-20, 21:27
And they're convinced their human rights have been eroded after being denied their ritual multiple trips to Spain this year!!

100%! It has been such a tough time for most with job losses/insecurity, education etc, but I've not been tolerant to the bell*nds who've whinged and moaned because they haven't been able to do the same mundane sh*te they've done all their lives recreational shopping, Benidorm etc!

They all got their way with their Benidorm holiday, recreation shopping etc and spread this crap about and now they can have their vaccine they'll all act even more like boring sheep when it's not proven yet that they cant carry the virus still and the fact doesn't give them a guarantee from catching Covid.

Me and my Partner have never been fussed about catching covid, yes we have been careful and we have been respectful and worn face masks, social distanced etc, yet the bell*nd pl*bs have just carried on and acted like we were being asked to live underground, yet carrying on with their rituals.

debs71
12-12-20, 23:19
Just wanted to add my thoughts on this very touchy subject and thread.

I really don't think it warrants a ton of praise or congratulations that someone has supposedly been proven right (not sure how though, as we have been told nothing by the government yet) in stating that we will be locked down again in January and that the virus is not going anywhere. 'No sh*t Sherlock', would be my sarcastic response to that one (Sorry, but months of sleepless nights have made me like this, I'm afraid!)

This is hardly a revelation. Experts have been telling us this over and over again. The virus will be with us until the end of never, in some shape or form. The other thing I wanted to say was that a vaccine only needs to be 50% effective to be a valid vaccine, so all of the stink about 'oh, it is only THIS percentage' is just that. STINK.

Being the pessimist that I am, I am not placing any confidence in ANY of the vaccines at this given time. There are far too many unknowns here. The mere fact that nobody knows how long they will protect for, or if they prevent transmission, are BIG issues. Until any data comes through after the masses (well, WE HOPE it will be 'masses') are vaccinated, that will remain an unknown. All I am hoping is that we can all reach some vague semblance of normality through these vaccines. Something reasembling normal would be good as personally speaking, I cannot take any more damage to my very tenuous mental health after this boll*cks of a year.

Depression back again? CHECK.
Panic attacks worse than ever? CHECK
Hyperventilation syndrome every damned day? CHECK.

I for one will be throwing my own private New Year's Eve party for one when this crappy year exits stage left........

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-20, 06:47

The reason Admin brought in the anti troll labelling rule was only because people were using it on the HA board.

But now it has been used more generally on this board when dealing with political stuff. That's a very different issue to the original where some thought repetitive posters were lying.

So perhaps Admin need to review this rule? I don't think it should be used to protect those posting CT scaremongering nonsense.

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-20, 06:51
Well that’s your issue. Enjoy it.

Who was threatened? How were they threatened? Was it reported? And how do you know Admin haven't dealt with it if it was?

EDIT: can't remember what the signature said before it was changed so I'm going off the posts in this thread.

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-20, 06:57
Last I checked, excusing bad behaviour, anxiety related or not, is called enabling. The point NoraB is missing is that I was called out for my behaviour at that time, sometimes repeatedly, and I also apologised. My “behaviour” that I apologised for was replying “cry me a river” to someone. Not nice but hardly threatening people is it?

I was one who encouraged you to stay because I think you have a lot of knowledge to help people and no one should feel they have to leave.

Perhaps best to leave such things in the past.

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-20, 07:01
Unfortunately "mental health" now appears to encompass inconvenience and refusal to make adjustments to lifestyle choices when requested.

It's the swing. How often do groups go from no rights to too many? By too many they get a free pass because or something like protected status.

NoraB
13-12-20, 07:19
Just blame your anxiety. Honestly, the things I’ve seen excused by that one being wheeled out is enough to make your eyes bleed.

Who are you referring to?

Last I checked, excusing bad behaviour, anxiety related or not, is called enabling.

Understanding why somebody does something isn't excusing it Gary.

I wasn't online when James lost his shit. Had I have been, I would have messaged him to try and calm him down. As it was, you took it upon yourself to give him a public rinsing and in a self-righteous manner which I think is rich coming from somebody who has had apologise for their own behaviour on here. I cannot, and will not, ignore the hypocrisy!

The point NoraB is missing is that I was called out for my behaviour at that time, sometimes repeatedly, and I also apologised. My “behaviour” that I apologised for was replying “cry me a river” to someone. Not nice but hardly threatening people is it?

Gary, you openly admit to being an argumentative git, and I doubt that anybody on here would disagree with you. Truth be told, a bit of sparring livens things up a bit on forums, and I do my fair share when it comes to your good self and Joe. But I have been honest about this and my own argumentative git-ness. In this case though, I think you should have kept your trap shut!

The most annoying thing about it is that NoraB is only having a pop because she’s annoyed that I disagreed with her about something a few days ago.

No. I am annoyed with you because you are being a hypocrite, Gary.

And let's be honest cocker - I annoy you full stop. :yesyes:

But seeing as we're playing at presuming things - mine is that your real issue with me is because I challenged you on many points and because I called you out on some ridiculous (and non-sceptical) comparisons. Should I have agreed with your every word, 'head down as I walk backwards?' :unsure:

Truth is Gary, you get something out of our exchanges (as you do all other ones) otherwise you just wouldn't have taken the time to engage, and vice-versa. If this is a genuine problem to you - hit the mute button mate. (I'm sure you won't be the first, or last, because I know I'm not everybody's cuppa)

I’m quite happy to voice opinions, agree or disagree then move on.

In that case, my dear, why are you bringing up the other thread? (see bolded comment) :huh:

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-20, 07:20
100%! It has been such a tough time for most with job losses/insecurity, education etc, but I've not been tolerant to the bell*nds who've whinged and moaned because they haven't been able to do the same mundane sh*te they've done all their lives recreational shopping, Benidorm etc!

They all got their way with their Benidorm holiday, recreation shopping etc and spread this crap about and now they can have their vaccine they'll all act even more like boring sheep when it's not proven yet that they cant carry the virus still and the fact doesn't give them a guarantee from catching Covid.

Me and my Partner have never been fussed about catching covid, yes we have been careful and we have been respectful and worn face masks, social distanced etc, yet the bell*nd pl*bs have just carried on and acted like we were being asked to live underground, yet carrying on with their rituals.

They should have made you Home Secretary, Matt. Rules would have been enforced then...I still remember you stuffing that litter back through the morons car window! :yesyes::roflmao:

NoraB
13-12-20, 07:24
Again, this.

Except the author of the original comment is not letting things go because he is referencing a disagreement on another thread! :whistles:

NoraB
13-12-20, 07:45
Anyway, I've had my say, and I have responded to things said about me.

I'm good to leave it there, but have the last word if it means that much to you Gary.

Just want to clarify something though - I didn't go looking for something to trip you up with. I was looking to see if you are a thread starter (like James is) or a responder - like I am. Seems you are a responder. Because you seemed happy enough to allow a valued member to leave? So I wanted to see what your own input has been. I came across the 2016 thread through that, and it was an open goal as far as I am concerned. :shrug: I haven't gone raking up the past for the sake of it, but given your response to James - it's relevant - and I make no apologies for using it against you.

Scass
13-12-20, 08:02
I think something someone said 4 years ago should not really be used against them. This is not politics, it’s a mental health forum.

Deb - I really liked your post by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoraB
13-12-20, 08:28
it’s a mental health forum.

But that's the point isn't it?

This is a mental health forum where, generally, people are presently mentally ill or understand what it feels like to be mentally ill. I don't know if Gary understands that or not. What I do know is that he didn't have to wade in the way he did - he chose to. He chose to put the boot into someone who was clearly spiralling out of control on a mental health forum.

Scass
13-12-20, 08:38
I thought you were going to drop it Nora?
I just think searching back 4 years in someone’s posting history to find something to hold up your point is a bit ott.

Edit: I don’t mean that to come across as harshly as it did. But yes just let it go. James has.

NoraB
13-12-20, 08:44
I thought you were going to drop it Nora?
I just think searching back 4 years in someone’s posting history to find something to hold up your point is a bit ott.

I responded to your comment or am I not allowed to defend myself?

I said I'd drop it with Gary. I think it was clear enough who I was talking to.

If you have actually read my comments, you will know that I did NOT search for something to 'hold my point up'. Makes a BIG difference does that!

Scass
13-12-20, 08:52
Ok Nora.

BikerMatt
13-12-20, 14:05
They should have made you Home Secretary, Matt. Rules would have been enforced then...I still remember you stuffing that litter back through the morons car window! :yesyes::roflmao:

Can't stand littering and I had the local drug dealer and his KFC wrapper incident too.
Straight up Terry I caught and confronted a fly-tipper last Tuesday night.

Anyway I tend to come back to NMP when I'm feeling slightly at ease with my mental health and disappear when I'm struggling and to see all the arguing WHEN NOBODY truly knows the answers isn't good!

Gary A
13-12-20, 15:12
Who are you referring to?

There’s been numerous examples of this in the 5 years I’ve been posting here. I understand it, yes, this is an anxiety forum, but I don’t think it’s healthy for anyone to use that as an excuse for poor behaviour. That’s not challenging anxiety is it?

Understanding why somebody does something isn't excusing it Gary.

So I perfectly understood that the person in question openly confesses to losing it due to an existing mental health condition. I still feel that when it goes to the level it did it should be called out.

I wasn't online when James lost his shit. Had I have been, I would have messaged him to try and calm him down. As it was, you took it upon yourself to give him a public rinsing and in a self-righteous manner which I think is rich coming from somebody who has had apologise for their own behaviour on here. I cannot, and will not, ignore the hypocrisy!

You were, actually. You even posted saying how you could see what was going down and how you weren’t getting involved. You only got involved when I responded to a post that literally was in direct response to me only trying to make him feel better.

Gary, you openly admit to being an argumentative git, and I doubt that anybody on here would disagree with you. Truth be told, a bit of sparring livens things up a bit on forums, and I do my fair share when it comes to your good self and Joe. But I have been honest about this and my own argumentative git-ness. In this case though, I think you should have kept your trap shut!

Well with respect, why should it matter to me what you think? I was pretty peeved at a well intentioned post being berated and told that if me, or anyone else, responded to a post again that I would have my head bitten off. We were called fools, told that we swallow everything from the media, that we were insinuating the poster in question was a conspiracy theorist. You reckon it’s cool for you to call me out for publicly having a go at someone but I should’ve kept my trap shut when being publicly berated? Nice bit of selective bias there, “cocker.”

No. I am annoyed with you because you are being a hypocrite, Gary.

Sure you are.

And let's be honest cocker - I annoy you full stop. :yesyes:

Genuinely untrue. I had a disagreement with you over one thing, I haven’t bothered with you since. You have an opinion I disagree with, I mean Jesus, if I was “annoyed” by someone who disagreed with me on one thing I’d be a very lonely individual. It’s kind of ironic that you’re claiming I annoy you yet you’ve took it upon yourself to search my history in order to have a stick to beat me with. Do you do that every time you see hypocrisy on here do you? I doubt it, so it appears there’s only one of us truly “annoyed” with the other.

But seeing as we're playing at presuming things - mine is that your real issue with me is because I challenged you on many points and because I called you out on some ridiculous (and non-sceptical) comparisons. Should I have agreed with your every word, 'head down as I walk backwards?' :unsure:

Not at all. You believe in something and you defended it. I respect that. I don’t have an issue with you. I disagree with one opinion you have. That’s it. Your problem is you seem to want me to have an issue, which is really strange.

Truth is Gary, you get something out of our exchanges (as you do all other ones) otherwise you just wouldn't have taken the time to engage, and vice-versa. If this is a genuine problem to you - hit the mute button mate. (I'm sure you won't be the first, or last, because I know I'm not everybody's cuppa)

We had an exchange over one thing, I respectfully bowed out because I was clearly not coming across as I wanted to. I was starting to offend people and that wasn’t my intent. I genuinely don’t care about it anymore. I don’t know why I would mute you, as far as I can see I left that exchange and that was it.

In that case, my dear, why are you bringing up the other thread? (see bolded comment) :huh:

Because it’s fairly obvious that you’ve allowed that particular exchange in that thread to bother you to a point of calling me out. Hey, that’s fine, I’m big enough to post on here and people are absolutely entitled to call me out if they think I’m being a d*ck. But let’s not pretend that you’ve done that purely by chance. You know fine well that you were looking to gain points over someone you have taken a dislike to due to that exchange.

Lencoboy
13-12-20, 16:50

I agree wholeheartedly Pulisa.

It's one of those terms that's become so overused and abused over the past 20 years or so, in a similar sense to the word 'crisis', which in itself has become so hackneyed and clichéd over the same time period, and used just for the sake of it.

This constant misuse of the term 'mental health' makes a mockery of those who genuinely have such issues, and they inadvertently end up suffering all the more because of the so-called 'bandwagon-jumpers' getting most of the attention for all the wrong reasons.

Another massive bugbear of mine is those who are actually fairly well off constantly pleading poverty and desperation. All this endless hyperbole that certain people come out with really smacks of blatant attention-seeking IMO.

There certainly are some real 'cry wolfers' out there!!

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-20, 17:24
Can't stand littering and I had the local drug dealer and his KFC wrapper incident too.
Straight up Terry I caught and confronted a fly-tipper last Tuesday night.

Anyway I tend to come back to NMP when I'm feeling slightly at ease with my mental health and disappear when I'm struggling and to see all the arguing WHEN NOBODY truly knows the answers isn't good!

Don't blame you there mate. This place can be useful to some when struggling but for those who are less reassurance orientated I think it's more the opposite. Being more avoidant I tend to be like that. Struggling with comms dates back to my breakdown because my job was constantly being snowed under with emails. It's common though, I can remember one of the co-ordinators at the walk-in groups saying how she hid the mail in the bad times. I used to jump when the phone or door bell rang.

This is my image of you now mate...

https://walter.trakt.tv/images/people/000/411/292/headshots/thumb/e393855917.jpg.webp

:roflmao:

Fly-tippers annoy me too. I take photos of the sites and report them to the local council. What then happens is the guys come out in the vans and report they can't find anything despite is being a matter of stepping out of the van and it's right in front of them...:whistles:

Lencoboy
13-12-20, 18:50
Don't blame you there mate. This place can be useful to some when struggling but for those who are less reassurance orientated I think it's more the opposite. Being more avoidant I tend to be like that. Struggling with comms dates back to my breakdown because my job was constantly being snowed under with emails. It's common though, I can remember one of the co-ordinators at the walk-in groups saying how she hid the mail in the bad times. I used to jump when the phone or door bell rang.

This is my image of you now mate...

https://walter.trakt.tv/images/people/000/411/292/headshots/thumb/e393855917.jpg.webp

:roflmao:

Fly-tippers annoy me too. I take photos of the sites and report them to the local council. What then happens is the guys come out in the vans and report they can't find anything despite is being a matter of stepping out of the van and it's right in front of them...:whistles:

Sounds like sheer laziness (and blindness) to me.

A couple of miles from where I live a bus shelter was defaced during the spring lockdown and its advertisement posters have been changed several times since then but that very same graffiti tag still remains present on said bus shelter.

Honestly, I can't understand why they still take the trouble to change advert posters every few weeks but seemingly can't be bothered to remove the graffiti!

Pamplemousse
13-12-20, 20:54

A couple of miles from where I live a bus shelter was defaced during the spring lockdown and its advertisement posters have been changed several times since then but that very same graffiti tag still remains present on said bus shelter.

Honestly, I can't understand why they still take the trouble to change advert posters every few weeks but seemingly can't be bothered to remove the graffiti!
Because there'll be a contract to change the posters.

MyNameIsTerry
14-12-20, 07:17

Definitely laziness in my case. Some are harder to find as they are concealed on hillsides but others are actually on pavement.

Seems like they don't have any management checking what they are doing. And you can't raise an issue about it since they close down the report so you have to raise it again.

Reporting to the Highways Agency is even worse. Your council tell you do it but the HA site bounces you back to councils. So you have to log it to them, which means they send a van out just to confirm that yes it's on a road, then it goes off to the HA who do...nothing anyway.

Yet they whinge in the media about it. :lac:

Lencoboy
14-12-20, 09:53
Definitely laziness in my case. Some are harder to find as they are concealed on hillsides but others are actually on pavement.

Seems like they don't have any management checking what they are doing. And you can't raise an issue about it since they close down the report so you have to raise it again.

Reporting to the Highways Agency is even worse. Your council tell you do it but the HA site bounces you back to councils. So you have to log it to them, which means they send a van out just to confirm that yes it's on a road, then it goes off to the HA who do...nothing anyway.

Yet they whinge in the media about it. :lac:

Bloody typical isn't it.

They have the nerve to blame the govt (regardless of party in power) and the system in general but all too often it's often down to certain unscrupulous employees who simply can't be bothered to do their jobs properly but keep coming up with the most feeble of excuses and often get off scot-free.
And often have trade unions to bail them out if threatened with the sack.

It really makes a mockery of the genuine employees in such professions who do actually care.

And little wonder that the general public often give up reporting stuff in the end, simply because they're forever fobbed off.

Twas ever thus in many instances.

WiredIncorrectly
15-12-20, 18:54
I've a post somewhere (it may be in thread) where I discussed my concern of COVID mutating and potentially making the vaccine pointless. Scary to think it's happening now.

pulisa
15-12-20, 19:28
Hello James-good that you are back..

I think you need to focus on the "potentially" bit here and maybe it's not happening now? It's hard not to overthink when things are so uncertain but it's best to try to take things and events as they come, I find? There's no evidence that the vaccine is pointless now. It's far too early to make a call on that and we have to wait and see what happens.

Lencoboy
16-12-20, 17:38
Hello James-good that you are back..

I think you need to focus on the "potentially" bit here and maybe it's not happening now? It's hard not to overthink when things are so uncertain but it's best to try to take things and events as they come, I find? There's no evidence that the vaccine is pointless now. It's far too early to make a call on that and we have to wait and see what happens.

Exactly. I think certain people are already jumping to conclusions over this new variant of Covid.

Like you said, we just need to wait and see, especially as said variant is currently being investigated at the Porton Down lab in Wiltshire.

I think we also need to give the vaccines a fair chance, rather than cast doubts over them too soon.

After all, it's only just over a week since the first one (Pfizer) first started being dished out, so still very early days as yet.

pulisa
16-12-20, 17:51
I know how hard it is not to catastrophise with ASD, James..and it's easy to say take things a step at a time when you want clarity now.

How are you going to spend Christmas? Is your boy looking forward to his presents? What has he asked for this year?

Lenco, how are you coping with your Mum? Any news on your potential respite provision or has covid complicated things?

Lencoboy
16-12-20, 18:51
I know how hard it is not to catastrophise with ASD, James..and it's easy to say take things a step at a time when you want clarity now.

How are you going to spend Christmas? Is your boy looking forward to his presents? What has he asked for this year?

Lenco, how are you coping with your Mum? Any news on your potential respite provision or has covid complicated things?

Pulisa, my mom seems to be going from bad to worse, and so far nothing further has been discussed about my respite thing, which I would personally die for with all the constant turmoil in our house ATM (no Covid-related pun intended).

The way I'm feeling ATM I sometimes wish my parents would just disown me and hand me over to the Social Services, as I feel totally worthless.

I don't even care if the staff at the respite unit are like those those losers who worked at Winterbourne View some 10-12 years ago, they can wallop the crap out of me, swear at me and even smoke in the building around me for all I care!

pulisa
16-12-20, 19:47
Lenco, I'm so sorry..You sound as if you need help and support right now before the great Xmas/New Year shutdown of services.

Can you contact Social Services yourself and say that you are in crisis? The pressure must be awful and witnessing your Mum's deterioration with no source of escape must be causing you immeasurable trauma. If you feel unable to make that call is there anybody else who could act on your behalf? Just making contact and expressing your distress at least will make them aware and you can make them record everything you say on your notes?

Scass
16-12-20, 20:38
Lenco I’m so sorry things are tough for you at the moment.
I hope Pulisa’s excellent advice helps.

pulisa
16-12-20, 20:46
I really think you should speak out and make SS aware of your desperation. It would be hard for anyone but you need to safeguard and protect your mental health just to get through each day, i would imagine? You may feel better just by letting it all out to a professional who can actually do something?

Pamplemousse
16-12-20, 21:19
I'm with pulisa here, Lencoboy: you're a great guy and you deserve MUCH better than what you're enduring. You need to self-refer, mate.

pulisa
16-12-20, 21:24
No one would blame or judge you for admitting that it's all got too much for you...SS are probably not even aware of your home situation.

I think it took a lot of courage just to admit your feelings on here.

Lencoboy
16-12-20, 21:25
Thanks for your kind words Pulisa, Scass and PM.

I'm not being abused nor am I at dire risk per se, but I'm worried I might just lose it myself, which could lead to mega serious consequences for us all as a family, such as me either being sectioned or even ending up doing porridge, especially due to the chronic lack of suitable places for people like me, and the way society in general likes to demonise us, plus my dad being at risk of suddenly snuffing it due to a stroke or heart failure 'cause he can no longer cope with me losing it, let alone cope with my mom being off her trolley!

I really don't want to get violent and aggressive, but I'm just worried one day I'll just snap, then it will be a one-way ticket to hell for me!!

pulisa
17-12-20, 08:03
That's just a fear, Lenco..not a fact. You are catastrophising here but your profound distress is very clear and for a very good reason.

I expect you are very worried about your Dad and how everything seems to depend on his continuing good health and ability to look after your Mum. Your fear of "losing it" just shows how much of a knife edge you feel your family is on and you really do need support from the professionals and this means both emotional and practical help.

Please consider picking up the phone and contacting your local social services..You need to follow up that respite provision just for starters. Obviously your Dad will have his views as regards his carer role but maybe he would be receptive to an assessment of your Mum's current mental health issues?

NoraB
17-12-20, 08:37

This is your idea of being 'helpful' to someone who you know is autistic, has mental health issues, and is clearly spiralling is it?

When you had your Mariah Carey diva 'I'm leaving' moment in 2016 - people were kind despite your behaviour. In comparison, the above is how you spoke to James.

You reckon it’s cool for you to call me out for publicly having a go at someone

I am cooler than a polar bear's pecker with calling you out on this Gary!

but I should’ve kept my trap shut when being publicly berated?

If all you can do is to make matters worse by opening said trap, then yes!

Nice bit of selective bias there, “cocker.”

Nice bit of passive aggression there, Mariah! :yesyes:

I had a disagreement with you over one thing, I haven’t bothered with you since.

Technically, you are bothering with me or we wouldn't be arguing on THIS thread.

I don’t have an issue with you.

Your passive-aggressive comments suggest otherwise. "cocker".

Hey, that’s fine, I’m big enough to post on here and people are absolutely entitled to call me out if they think I’m being a d*ck.

I thought you were being a d*ck. I called you out. :shrug:

You know fine well that you were looking to gain points over someone you have taken a dislike to due to that exchange.

I don't like the way you belittle people. I don't like your 'superior' attitude. I don't care for the insinuation that I'm lying. However, I don't dislike you as a person because I don't know you. I can only respond to the way you conduct yourself on here. However, what I did was nothing to do with that exchange between us. I felt bad for James because I am an empathetic human being. And then there was the hypocrisy of you being the one to reprimand him. I didn't go looking for ammo, but I sure as hell would have no qualms in admitting to it if this had been the case! I was trying to find out what input you put into this forum as a conversation starter - which is what James is - when I saw you being a big ol' diva with your 'I'm leaving' thread and also that folk on here were being kind to you and encouraging you to stay - in stark comparison to your unpleasant little paragraph shown at the beginning of this post! So, yes Gary, I decided to use your history against you to make you look a tit. No apologies. I don't regret doing what I did, and I would do it again. I'm just dismayed that the only effect it's seemingly had on you is to bruise your mammoth ego! :unsure:

It would be nice if you had the humility to suck it up instead of trying to defend your use of inflammatory words!

There is literally nothing more I can, or want, to say. I'm sure people are fed up with us arguing. I'm fed up with it too now. but I wanted to defend myself on some points because I don't like being called a liar. But that's enough. Even I have my limits and I have a feeling that there is NOTHING I could say to you which would change the situation, so I'm done with this particular argument. If it's imperative to your existence that you must have the last word, then go for it and consider it my Christmas gift to you, but you're get the crappy wrapping paper and no bow! :lac:

Gary A
17-12-20, 10:01
[/COLOR]This is your idea of being 'helpful' to someone who you know is autistic, has mental health issues, and is clearly spiralling is it?

I wasn’t trying to be helpful, I was having a go at someone who had a go at me for trying to be helpful.

When you had your Mariah Carey diva 'I'm leaving' moment in 2016 - people were kind despite your behaviour. In comparison, the above is how you spoke to James.

I think you’ll find I’ve had more than a few instances of this person going off on me for only trying to be helpful, despite that I tried again. When I got that reaction once again I’d had enough.

I am cooler than a polar bear's pecker with calling you out on this Gary!

And I’m actually cool with you doing it. The reason behind it is what’s bothering me.

If all you can do is to make matters worse by opening said trap, then yes!

Did it make it worse? He answered back very reasonably and I explained to him what my intent was originally. I made it quite clear I was only trying to help and he accepted his own part in it. I reacted harshly, but something like that works both ways doesn’t it?

Nice bit of passive aggression there, Mariah! :yesyes:

Thanks, I certainly thought so.

Technically, you are bothering with me or we wouldn't be arguing on THIS thread.

Makes no sense. I hadn’t bothered with you from our original disagreement and now I’m replying to you directly confronting me. I’m not bothered by it or you, I’m just replying to you.

Your passive-aggressive comments suggest otherwise. "cocker".

It’s called responding in kind.

I thought you were being a d*ck. I called you out. :shrug:

Again, fair enough. I’ll even go as far as agreeing that I was acting like a d*ck, but I feel that I was only acting like that to someone who was also acting like a d*ck. as I said, I’ve got a limit on how much I’ll allow a mental health issue to excuse that. I don’t find that helpful to me or the other person. That’s just my way. Maybe I’m wrong, but yeah, that’s just how I see it.

I don't like the way you belittle people. I don't like your 'superior' attitude. I don't care for the insinuation that I'm lying.

I feel I only belittle people who deserve it, frankly. Could I have reacted better? Yes, of course I could have. I could’ve been the bigger man but I’m a human being who felt unjustifiably attacked and I replied. Again, it’s just me, and I fully accept that it can come back at me.

I felt bad for James because I am an empathetic human being. And then there was the hypocrisy of you being the one to reprimand him. I didn't go looking for ammo, but I sure as hell would have no qualms in admitting to it if this had been the case!

Yet you didn’t feel bad for me or Joe who had been given a torrent of abuse for doing nothing more than reasonably trying to put perspective on someone’s concerns? Selective empathy there. I don’t see how it’s hypocrisy for me to answer a post aimed directly at me.

I was trying to find out what input you put into this forum as a conversation starter - which is what James is - when I saw you being a big ol' diva with your 'I'm leaving' thread and also that folk on here were being kind to you and encouraging you to stay - in stark comparison to your unpleasant little paragraph shown at the beginning of this post!

Have you read the thread that pushed me toward leaving? Do you know I was only wanting to leave because I thought I was upsetting people rather than helping them? How is that a “diva” moment? It’s admitting you’re causing a problem and dealing with it is it not? I changed my mind because people clearly didn’t think I was a problem. I actually did stop posting here for a year or so after that. I was also in a bad place mentally for reasons I’m not going to get into right now. Oh, and despite more than one hostile reply to me from the poster in question, I have continued to offer him help and will continue to in future. It was an OTT exchange that we were both responsible for and have both now put to bed. The only person now making it anything more is you.

So, yes Gary, I decided to use your history against you to make you look a tit. No apologies. I don't regret doing what I did, and I would do it again. I'm just dismayed that the only effect it's seemingly had on you is to bruise your mammoth ego! :unsure:

Funny isn’t it? When you respond to anyone it’s because you’ve got a right to defend yourself. When I do it it’s because of my ego. Brilliant.

It would be nice if you had the humility to suck it up instead of trying to defend your use of inflammatory words!

You mean just agree with you? No, sorry. I admit it was an OTT response but it was only in response to an OTT post. Again, neither me or James seem to care much about it now, it’s been bothering you for nearly a week though.

There is literally nothing more I can, or want, to say. I'm sure people are fed up with us arguing. I'm fed up with it too now. but I wanted to defend myself on some points because I don't like being called a liar.

Yeah, see I don’t like being called a diva, I don’t like being called a hypocrite, I don’t like being called an egomaniac, I don’t like when well meaning posts are attacked and I don’t like being called a fool. However, if I defend myself against any of those claims apparently it’s all to do with ego.

But that's enough. Even I have my limits and I have a feeling that there is NOTHING I could say to you which would change the situation, so I'm done with this particular argument.

I don’t even know what you’re trying to change at this point. Two adults had a childish bicker. Both have moved on and no longer care. What is it you’re trying to change?

If it's imperative to your existence that you must have the last word, then go for it and consider it my Christmas gift to you, but you're get the crappy wrapping paper and no bow! :lac:

You’ve kept this going for almost a week now. If you say things about me that I disagree with I’m going to respond. If you can call it defending yourself then so can I.

Lencoboy
17-12-20, 17:19
Please, let's all try and be nice to each other on here, there's already enough aggro in the world ATM.

Let's face it, I might not agree with absolutely everything James (WIC) is currently predicting on here, especially as the current situation still very much remains in the lap of the gods and is constantly shifting, but please let's not keep falling out, and just let it go.

MyNameIsTerry
17-12-20, 17:27
I'm with pulisa here, Lencoboy: you're a great guy and you deserve MUCH better than what you're enduring. You need to self-refer, mate.

Just want to bump this and what others have said as I completely agree. You are a good guy and well liked on here. It's very hard to imagine you being anything other and ending up doing porridge.

Your situation is extremely difficult. Getting help earlier might heads things off.

It's only natural to have these worries and the concern you have for your dad's health.

You can always talk on here if you need too. Don't ever worry about what people think or talking too much, the latter being something those who help others more than asking for themselves always worry about.

pulisa
17-12-20, 17:55
You may feel better just talking about it on here rather than letting it fester and ruminating which is always so distressing?

I actually had a response from SS today and a date in the diary was made (early Jan) for my son's assessment. When you say you are in crisis things can happen.

Lencoboy
17-12-20, 18:35
You may feel better just talking about it on here rather than letting it fester and ruminating which is always so distressing?

I actually had a response from SS today and a date in the diary was made (early Jan) for my son's assessment. When you say you are in crisis things can happen.

I don't wish to come across as ungrateful re your advice, but the trouble is (concerning your last sentence), there will always be the odd SWs who are a tad overzealous and go a bit too far. Let's face it, there were several horror stories back in the 70s and 80s about SWs whisking kids and vulnerable adults with LDs away into care willy-nilly and often for reasons unwarranted, especially in pursuit of their own personal agendas, and the places where those people ended up often were, ironically, even more inhumane than their original family homes. Add to that the dire shortage of suitable facilities, in which many of whom have disappeared left, right and centre over the past 25 years or so.

I know that was then and this is now, but unfortunately, there will always be unscrupulous, conniving individuals working in the profession who stubbornly refuse to change their ways, especially those who might be Farageites in disguise.

fishman65
17-12-20, 19:12
Please, let's all try and be nice to each other on here, there's already enough aggro in the world ATM.

Let's face it, I might not agree with absolutely everything James (WIC) is currently predicting on here, especially as the current situation still very much remains in the lap of the gods and is constantly shifting, but please let's not keep falling out, and just let it go.Totally agree LB. Life really is too short. Come on you guys, we are all living through an incredibly tough time and taking chunks out of each other won't help you or anyone. For your own sakes as well as others here who are looking for support.

NoraB
18-12-20, 08:35
Fair enough guys..

I don't like arguing in this way. I like to have a laugh, talk about bottoms, and help folk through their anxiety. However, I do have compulsion to defend myself, and that's my problem. My signature says it all, eh?
That said, it's not all bad this end because I have had some seriously satisfying bowel movements this week, and it's all down to Gazza firing up those stress hormones! :dribble:

Anyway, I am prepared to postpone hostilities until 2021 (or when I get constipated again) :yesyes:

What do you say Gary, you miserable bugga - truce? :bighug1:

Gary A
18-12-20, 12:34
Fair enough guys..

I don't like arguing in this way. I like to have a laugh, talk about bottoms, and help folk through their anxiety. However, I do have compulsion to defend myself, and that's my problem. My signature says it all, eh?
That said, it's not all bad this end because I have had some seriously satisfying bowel movements this week, and it's all down to Gazza firing up those stress hormones! :dribble:

Anyway, I am prepared to postpone hostilities until 2021 (or when I get constipated again) :yesyes:

What do you say Gary, you miserable bugga - truce? :bighug1:

When I’m on my death bed thinking of all my achievements in life, I’ll take comfort in the knowledge that I passive aggressively made someone have a really satisfying sh*t.

Yes truce. I have the same compulsion to defend myself and it’s also a bit of a problem of mine. Too quick to jump in with two feet more often than I should.

pulisa
18-12-20, 14:17
Gary, can I book you for some colonic behaviour therapy now that you've eased Nora's backlog? :D

NoraB
18-12-20, 15:07
When I’m on my death bed thinking of all my achievements in life, I’ll take comfort in the knowledge that I passive aggressively made someone have a really satisfying sh*t.

Well, my colon certainly appreciates it. :yesyes:

Yes truce.

Good man. :shades:

fishman65
18-12-20, 15:40
Kudos to both of you!! :yesyes: It takes courage for us to admit we have 'faults' so really well done guys.

WiredIncorrectly
23-12-20, 14:32
The numbers look dreadful. It looks like the big lockdown is going to come sooner than expected.

One year on and we're in a worse position than we was. This year I've seen no progress at all. The vaccine roll out has been a complete waste of time. It's not possible to kill the virus with a drip fed vaccine rollout that has a limited life span once inside your system. Mass vaccination is required at the same time, but that's logistically impossible. The anti-vaxers are many, they'll keep it alive and kicking too.

The point I've been making for some time is mass lockdown needs to happen, and for a lengthy amount of time. It will mess a lot of things up for a lot of people, but this situation is dire and the world has to face the reality of the problem.

If something isn't done soon we will start to see hardship and a complete destruction of the economy.

I'm sorry to be that guy to bring the negative reality to the table, but it is what it is.

BlueIris
23-12-20, 14:40
Hey, James. Thinking of you and yours.

Sorry you're feeling so awful right now, and I'm sorry the world's in such a mess. Try to remember that mental illness can distort the way you perceive the world, though.

Things are bad, but you have your family and friends. We might have tough times ahead of us, but better times will come along, too.

Lencoboy
23-12-20, 15:36
Hey, James. Thinking of you and yours.

Sorry you're feeling so awful right now, and I'm sorry the world's in such a mess. Try to remember that mental illness can distort the way you perceive the world, though.

Things are bad, but you have your family and friends. We might have tough times ahead of us, but better times will come along, too.

I agree with you BI. I agree with James that we need even tighter restrictions, at least in the shorter term, but I don't agree with him that the vaccinations are a waste of time as they still haven't started properly yet, and for all I know he might have been reading too much BS propaganda online, which sadly is aplenty, and inadvertently getting carried away with it.

Let's all give the vaccines a chance before writing them off and prematurely jumping to conclusions that they will never work and are a waste of time and money.

Granted there have been teething problems and cock-ups with the Pfizer vaccine but the others will be here soon, so let's all wait and see, be patient, and in the meantime, stick to the rules.

I know it's hard for many of us and it's highly tempting to say 'screw the authorities', but honestly, contrary to popular belief, they're not all completely bent and corrupt, and whatever's currently trending on social media isn't necessarily what we should all be going by and believing as gospel.

dorabella
29-12-20, 01:32
The numbers look dreadful. It looks like the big lockdown is going to come sooner than expected.

One year on and we're in a worse position than we was. This year I've seen no progress at all. The vaccine roll out has been a complete waste of time. It's not possible to kill the virus with a drip fed vaccine rollout that has a limited life span once inside your system. Mass vaccination is required at the same time, but that's logistically impossible. The anti-vaxers are many, they'll keep it alive and kicking too.

The point I've been making for some time is mass lockdown needs to happen, and for a lengthy amount of time. It will mess a lot of things up for a lot of people, but this situation is dire and the world has to face the reality of the problem.

If something isn't done soon we will start to see hardship and a complete destruction of the economy.

I'm sorry to be that guy to bring the negative reality to the table, but it is what it is.

Some interesting and various thoughts everyone on how to get out of this mess we are in ... but considering the 'mass lockdown' earlier in the year didn't work then I can't see any reason to do keep doing it ... that is the definition of insanity to keep repeating the same failed experiment over and over again and expecting a different result. All lockdowns do is to put off the inevitable and push the problem further down the road. The current tier 4 restriction is a lockdown in all but name and having little effect apart from to drive people insane.

Viruses are cyclical - winter 2019 and now again winter 2020 and their purpose is to circulate until they loose their efficacy, getting weaker until they become endemic ... bit like the common cold. All that a vaccine will do is give people's immune response a jump start in the event that they come into contact with the bug. Mass testing really is a waste of time when you consider that the much-vaunted PCR test is not fully reliable and was never designed to be used to track a virus in the populace.

If the government can get itself organised once the Oxford vaccine comes good, then it should do what has been suggested and vaccinate the most vulnerable, and tell the rest of the population to get out from under their beds and get on with life. We can't hide from it for ever.

Sure a lot of you will disagree with me but this hysterical over-reaction to a virus has gone on for long enough.

quaksalver
29-12-20, 02:52
This is really scary stuff. This new strain is spreading like wildfire's in my country. Before it was mainly blacks and migrants who was getting it but nobody cares too much about them. Now its healthy young whites and people ate running scared

fishman65
29-12-20, 15:05
Before it was mainly blacks and migrants who was getting it but nobody cares too much about them. Really? Racism must be alive and kicking in SA.

Gary A
29-12-20, 15:56
This is really scary stuff. This new strain is spreading like wildfire's in my country. Before it was mainly blacks and migrants who was getting it but nobody cares too much about them. Now its healthy young whites and people ate running scared

I’m not one to use the word racism lightly, but that comment is racist as hell.

glassgirlw
29-12-20, 18:17

that was my thought as well. I’m trying to look on the other side though, perhaps there is a cultural difference at work here or English not being the primary language. It’s tough though.

fishman65
29-12-20, 18:24
This is really scary stuff. This new strain is spreading like wildfire's in my country. Before it was mainly blacks and migrants who was getting it but nobody cares too much about them. Now its healthy young whites and people ate running scaredUnless its meant, 'nobody else other than the poster' cares about the blacks and migrants? It could be interpreted that way.

AntsyVee
29-12-20, 19:22
The thing about SA is that even though they ended apartheid and de-segregated their society, it didn't mean that all of the Caucasian people there also changed their views that those of African and Indian heritage are inferior. In some ways, the problems that came with de-segregating their society only reinforced the inferiority views held by some Caucasians. As those of African and Indian heritage struggled to take their place in society and deal with poverty, lack of education and other social problems, it only proved to some Caucasian people that the others were inherently inferior. Even though apartheid has ended, SA is still separated into two distinct societies IMO: the wealthy society mostly made up of Caucasians and the poor society made up of everyone else.

I've had several students from SA, both Caucasian and African heritage. I had one tell me that "if not for the white people, the black people would still be living in the bush". All of them came to the US because of the crime there. One of the Caucasian students blamed the black people for the crime; the other Caucasian ones did not.

IMO, SA has a lot of racial healing still left to do, just like we do here in the US.

fishman65
29-12-20, 19:35
The thing about SA is that even though they ended apartheid and de-segregated their society, it didn't mean that all of the Caucasian people there also changed their views that those of African and Indian heritage are inferior. In some ways, the problems that came with de-segregating their society only reinforced the inferiority views held by some Caucasians. As those of African and Indian heritage struggled to take their place in society and deal with poverty, lack of education and other social problems, it only proved to some Caucasian people that the others were inherently inferior. Even though apartheid has ended, SA is still separated into two distinct societies IMO: the wealthy society mostly made up of Caucasians and the poor society made up of everyone else.

I've had several students from SA, both Caucasian and African heritage. I had one tell me that "if not for the white people, the black people would still be living in the bush". All of them came to the US because of the crime there. One of the Caucasian students blamed the black people for the crime; the other Caucasian ones did not.

IMO, SA has a lot of racial healing still left to do, just like we do here in the US.Thank you Vee, for that comprehensive and insightful analysis of South Africa's ongoing social and political troubles :yesyes: LOL

AntsyVee
29-12-20, 19:41
Thank you Vee, for that comprehensive and insightful analysis of South Africa's ongoing social and political troubles :yesyes: LOL

:roflmao:I figured you guys had enough of a xmas break away from school :p

MyNameIsTerry
29-12-20, 19:58

Or perhaps they disagree with how people in their country weren't interested in black people or migrants until it was white people? They didn't say they felt that way after all.

MyNameIsTerry
29-12-20, 20:00
that was my thought as well. I’m trying to look on the other side though, perhaps there is a cultural difference at work here or English not being the primary language. It’s tough though.

And not forgetting the many black people who disagree with current terms like people of colour and BAME. The latter some now consider racist.

So perhaps best not to jump to conclusions...

AntsyVee
29-12-20, 20:15
Well, I just saw on the news that SA has banned the sale of alcohol temporarily because people were getting together to drink and/or were making unsafe social practices due to being under the influence. I assume they're all feeling pretty cranky there lately LOL

Gary A
29-12-20, 20:20
Or perhaps they disagree with how people in their country weren't interested in black people or migrants until it was white people? They didn't say they felt that way after all.

Yeah I suppose so, just reads a bit...I don’t know, iffy.

glassgirlw
29-12-20, 20:28
And not forgetting the many black people who disagree with current terms like people of colour and BAME. The latter some now consider racist.

So perhaps best not to jump to conclusions...

one of the many problems with social media and other forms of “remote” conversations - you can’t judge anything based on what’s written because we’re missing the human context - body language, tone of voice, etc. I’m not sure that the poster necessarily meant that the way it’s written.

fishman65
29-12-20, 20:38
one of the many problems with social media and other forms of “remote” conversations - you can’t judge anything based on what’s written because we’re missing the human context - body language, tone of voice, etc. I’m not sure that the poster necessarily meant that the way it’s written.I'd agree with that glassgirl and alluded to an alternative take on the poster's comments. Even though when I first read it, it was the 'Before it was mainly blacks and migrants who was getting it but nobody cares too much about them', comment which leapt off the screen.

MyNameIsTerry
29-12-20, 22:21
Yeah I suppose so, just reads a bit...I don’t know, iffy.

I know what you mean, you could easily be right.

MyNameIsTerry
29-12-20, 22:22
I'd agree with that glassgirl and alluded to an alternative take on the poster's comments. Even though when I first read it, it was the 'Before it was mainly blacks and migrants who was getting it but nobody cares too much about them', comment which leapt off the screen.

Sorry, fishman. I think we made same point so yours was enough.

quaksalver
30-12-20, 02:06
Oh dear all this fuss about a small error

I missed out word "poor"

Noone in my country care about poor blacks and migrants.

I am not white

We have many racist in my country. Not just white but black on other black.

In case you never knew, if you look at a map of Africa the borders are all straight lines. This is because in 19th century the colonial powers got together and carved up the continent among themselved.

This meant that many minority. nomadic tribed found themselves stuck in a particular country suffering violence at the hands of established tribes. Still the case today. Nigeria a good example.

My country have many migrants fron Zimbabwe and Namibia. They get blamed for bringi g HIV. They are not juzt discriminated against but murdered by vigilantes

Im a bit concerned about tbis forum now. This is about covid but was turned into racism. This would not have happened on similar forums I joined

Thank you Terry for realising I was not a racist. Its shame that your friends were so quick to jump to conclusions

Gary A
30-12-20, 02:41

I missed out word "poor"

I am not white

In case you never knew, if you look at a map of Africa the borders are all straight lines. This is because in 19th century the colonial powers got together and carved up the continent among themselved.

This meant that many minority. nomadic tribed found themselves stuck in a particular country suffering violence at the hands of established tribes. Still the case today. Nigeria a good example.

My country have many migrants fron Zimbabwe and Namibia. They get blamed for bringi g HIV. They are not juzt discriminated against but murdered by vigilantes

Im a bit concerned about tbis forum now. This is about covid but was turned into racism. This would not have happened on similar forums I joined

Thank you Terry for realising I was not a racist. Its shame that your friends were so quick to jump to conclusions

It appears I owe you an apology.

I honestly do try to veer away from that type of accusation unless I’m very certain I’m right.

You’re correct though, I raced far too quickly to a conclusion and I was very clearly wrong. I’m very sorry for that and hope you can see it was a genuine mistake.

quaksalver
30-12-20, 03:52
No problem Gary
It was my fault for missi.ng out a key word without which the whole meaning of the statement is changed

I have a bad habit of not reading my posts before posting
I must be more careful in future

AntsyVee
30-12-20, 04:31
No problem Gary
It was my fault for missi.ng out a key word without which the whole meaning of the statement is changed

I have a bad habit of not reading my posts before posting
I must be more careful in future

Well, hey quaksalver, at least you know the people on this forum aren't racist against those of African/black heritage ;)

fishman65
30-12-20, 18:52

I missed out word "poor"

I am not white

Thank you Terry for realising I was not a racist. Its shame that your friends were so quick to jump to conclusionsI too owe you an apology quaksalver. I assumed you were white, however I did subsequently attempt to look at your post from differing angles. It appears we were being 'anti-racist' when none was required. Please forgive our 'less than friendly' reception.

So I will say 'Hello quaksalver and welcome to NMP' :flowers:

glassgirlw
30-12-20, 21:38
I too owe you an apology quaksalver. I assumed you were white, however I did subsequently attempt to look at your post from differing angles. It appears we were being 'anti-racist' when none was required. Please forgive our 'less than friendly' reception.

So I will say 'Hello quaksalver and welcome to NMP' :flowers:

I’m going to “ditto” this from FM65. I do apologize if I made you feel attacked at all for your post. Absolutely not my intention. Welcome to this group - you’ll find a bunch of wonderful people in here anxious to help however we can!