PDA

View Full Version : Christmas fairy lights

Lencoboy
01-12-20, 10:10
Obviously it's now that time of year once again where such devices are all over the place, and of course even earlier than ever this year.

I have always loved festive fairy lights ever since I was a little kid, and I can't help feeling a bit nostalgic for older types of fairy lights, which I seem to recall up until the early 90s, almost all sets being of the multicoloured type, and many had shaded bulbs, which we hardly ever see nowadays.

Since around the mid-90s, sets with all-clear bulbs have become the norm (my mom bought our first all-clear bulb set in 1994), which I personally have always thought were very bland and soulless compared to more traditional multicoloured type sets.

My biggest pet hate with Christmas fairy lights is those that are in cool white that look more like silver/grey when illuminated. They look so bland and boring IMO, and my brother has them on his Christmas tree which keep flashing on and off, and I feel dead sorry for my three nephews having such blandness, but they don't seem to mind though, as it's probably all they've ever known.

And don't get me started in those bright all-blue flashing super troupers outside many people's gaffs these days that look like a police car or ambulance is parked on their drive!

Carys
01-12-20, 10:31
Everyone has different likes and dislikes, personally I don't like LED coloured lights that much but you know if others put them up then I appreciate they've gone to some effort to brighten up the community.
I feel dead sorry for my three nephews having such blandness, but they don't seem to mind though, as it's probably all they've ever known. I think its a mistake to assume that other people having different lifestyles and experiences means they have it worse than you ;) Luckily we are all different, or it would be a very dull world, and that is reflected in the illuminations outside and in our houses.

MyNameIsTerry
01-12-20, 16:07
I like the trend towards old fashioned wooden stuff. It reminds me of the more continental approach whereas the 80s it was more tinsel.

There are some really nice wooden plaques and models around.

Lencoboy
01-12-20, 16:29
Everyone has different likes and dislikes, personally I don't like LED coloured lights that much but you know if others put them up then I appreciate they've gone to some effort to brighten up the community. I think its a mistake to assume that other people having different lifestyles and experiences means they have it worse than you ;) Luckily we are all different, or it would be a very dull world, and that is reflected in the illuminations outside and in our houses.

That's just my opinion and I was just putting myself in the boots of my nephews. There's no right or wrong any way.

I did say that my nephews don't seem to mind and that it's probably all they've ever known. Plus of course there's that old expression 'one person's trash (or pain) is another person's treasure (or pleasure)'!!

ankietyjoe
01-12-20, 16:29
Scrooge is in the house.

Carys
01-12-20, 17:08
Plus of course there's that old expression 'one person's trash (or pain) is another person's treasure (or pleasure)'!!

Absolutely, and one person's blandness is another person's beauty ! :winks: I still think theres an assumption being made that your nephews are missing out, when they probably like their lights. They may think your bright coloured ones are gaudy. If you have blue, purple, coloured, yellow white, icy white or whatever.......it all adds to the overall patchwork of festivity I reckon. It should be a time of tolerance, peace and kindness, so don't let fairy lights get to you. :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
01-12-20, 17:18
Just don't criticise my 6ft inflatable Homer Simpson Santa!

(I've not got one really. I used to see one outsize one house blowing around in high wind and it was a bit distracting on the bend in the road as you came around it)

How about the Christmas ad with the festive dinosaur? Can't beat a grinning T-Rex with a Santa hat on.

Pamplemousse
01-12-20, 17:33
I've not put up a Christmas tree or anything festive for years, but what does surprise me is the fantastic prices vintage Christmas tree lights fetch on eBay - usually the ones made by Pifco that had MES moulded glass bulbs wired as good Trades Unionists (one out - all out!) and usually with only twelve bulbs in. These were the sort we had when I was a child, complete with the bayonet lampholder plug you connected into a normal lampholder - which meant there was a fantastic shock hazard there with the exposed plunger contacts for the bulb!

In fact I got my first electric shock that way, aged about four or five... and speaking to many of my peers it would seem that early electric shock sets you on to a path in electrics or electronics :roflmao:

Pamplemousse
01-12-20, 17:36
I like the trend towards old fashioned wooden stuff. It reminds me of the more continental approach whereas the 80s it was more tinsel.

There are some really nice wooden plaques and models around.

I went to the Munich Christmas Market this time in 1999. It was fabulous - far better and classier than the lamentable tatfests we call "Chrstmas Markets" here in the UK.

Redsmum
01-12-20, 18:19
Obviously it's now that time of year once again where such devices are all over the place, and of course even earlier than ever this year.

I have always loved festive fairy lights ever since I was a little kid, and I can't help feeling a bit nostalgic for older types of fairy lights, which I seem to recall up until the early 90s, almost all sets being of the multicoloured type, and many had shaded bulbs, which we hardly ever see nowadays.

Since around the mid-90s, sets with all-clear bulbs have become the norm (my mom bought our first all-clear bulb set in 1994), which I personally have always thought were very bland and soulless compared to more traditional multicoloured type sets.

My biggest pet hate with Christmas fairy lights is those that are in cool white that look more like silver/grey when illuminated. They look so bland and boring IMO, and my brother has them on his Christmas tree which keep flashing on and off, and I feel dead sorry for my three nephews having such blandness, but they don't seem to mind though, as it's probably all they've ever known.

And don't get me started in those bright all-blue flashing super troupers outside many people's gaffs these days that look like a police car or ambulance is parked on their drive!

I’m with you on those blue flashing lights Lencoboy my absolute christmas pet hate, what the hell blue lights have got to do with Christmas i’ll never know, Christmas is red, green, silver, gold but never blue.

Lencoboy
01-12-20, 18:46
Absolutely, and one person's blandness is another person's beauty ! :winks: I still think theres an assumption being made that your nephews are missing out, when they probably like their lights. They may think your bright coloured ones are gaudy. If you have blue, purple, coloured, yellow white, icy white or whatever.......it all adds to the overall patchwork of festivity I reckon. It should be a time of tolerance, peace and kindness, so don't let fairy lights get to you. :roflmao:

No problem Carys.

Lencoboy
01-12-20, 18:53
I went to the Munich Christmas Market this time in 1999. It was fabulous - far better and classier than the lamentable tatfests we call "Chrstmas Markets" here in the UK.

Well 1999 is quite a long time ago (21 years), so things might not be quite the same there now.

MRS STRESS ED
01-12-20, 18:53
Just don't criticise my 6ft inflatable Homer Simpson Santa!

(I've not got one really. I used to see one outsize one house blowing around in high wind and it was a bit distracting on the bend in the road as you came around it)

How about the Christmas ad with the festive dinosaur? Can't beat a grinning T-Rex with a Santa hat on.

well Terry I'm very disappointed no homer inflatable 😭 why 🤣🤣

Carys
01-12-20, 19:01
Gosh, theres a lot of 'light rage' around, I never knew :roflmao:Christmas can be any colour you flippin like.

Pamplemousse
01-12-20, 19:07
Well 1999 is quite a long time ago (21 years), so things might not be quite the same there now.

Bavaria has very strict rules on what can be sold at a Christkindlmarkt.

pulisa
01-12-20, 21:13
Which German Xmas market is the best one to visit, PM?

NoraB
02-12-20, 06:13

Me too. I used to lie under our tree for hours staring at the lights. They didn't flash, twinkle or fade in and out - they were just static lights. It was the 70s after all. But it filled my little heart with joy. It's just a shame that they were attached to a really naff (silver) Christmas tree. :huh:

Full disclaimer: I still stare at fairy lights and when Hubs took me on, he did so knowing that fairy lights are for life, and not just Christmas. (I have them up in 4 of our rooms all year round)

I hear you! I'm all for a tastefully done up house exterior but some are just migraine inducing, and quite frankly an attack on the eyeballs!

We call them 'Grizzers' which comes from the excellent National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation where Clark Griswald decks the exterior of the house in 25'000 twinkling lights. Truth be told, Clark's were semi-tasteful, but we use the term based on quantity of lights...:D

There's a Grizzer opposite us - full on flashing blue lights - strobes - you'd love it Len. :winks:

On the Batty tree there are (or will be when I get the damn thing up) retro fairy lights and twinkly ones (I'm a sucker for a twinkle) and some lit up 'presents' which hide the fairy light cables - oh, and the once obligatory candle arch. :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-20, 09:40
Nora, I just watched that film last night!

I have memories of my dad's frustration of checking string lights for the one broken bulb :roflmao:

Have to say though some of the cool exterior designs you see in the news are interesting. For many years a guy near us turned his house into a grotto and became a local news feature.

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-20, 09:42
Gosh, theres a lot of 'light rage' around, I never knew :roflmao:Christmas can be any colour you flippin like.

We need a group to campaign for Christmas diversity. Maybe call it Christmas Lights Matter (CLM) :biggrin:

NoraB
02-12-20, 10:16
Nora, I just watched that film last night!

Shitter's full. :roflmao:

I need to watch that today. I need cheering up lol

Lencoboy
02-12-20, 10:47
Shitter's full. :roflmao:

I need to watch that today. I need cheering up lol

Dear oh dear Nora, a blocked toilet is all you need over the festive season (lol)!!

Lencoboy
04-12-20, 16:21
By some coincidence I have noticed quite a lot more multicoloured lights around our estate so far this year, even though they are mostly of the newer LED type.

Pamplemousse
04-12-20, 22:17
Which German Xmas market is the best one to visit, PM?

I've only been to one - Munich. It's a fabulous city anyway, with or without the market.

pulisa
05-12-20, 08:35
My daughter has always wanted to visit a German Christmas market so thanks for the recommendation.

Pamplemousse
05-12-20, 14:42
My daughter has always wanted to visit a German Christmas market so thanks for the recommendation.
Bavarians are lovely people too; even if you're not a German speaker you'll find they're very happy to show off their (usually very good) English, and certainly back when I visited they loved the English too.

I seem to recall the market is near the beautiful Frauenkirche and if you want 20th century history, the Marienplatz - where Hitler got run out of town in 1923 is nearby too :roflmao: ('Beer Hall Putsch')

One other recommendation - don't go there during Oktoberfest unless you love the company of pissed Brits and Aussies.

pulisa
05-12-20, 17:58
No way jose...

It's certainly something to plan for as and when so thank you for the information and no, I don't speak German so it's a relief that I would not have to rely on Basil Fawlty-type attempted communication!

pulisa
05-12-20, 18:12
Dear oh dear Nora, a blocked toilet is all you need over the festive season (lol)!!

Bog standard for the time of year though....

MyNameIsTerry
06-12-20, 04:13
No way jose...

It's certainly something to plan for as and when so thank you for the information and no, I don't speak German so it's a relief that I would not have to rely on Basil Fawlty-type attempted communication!

Just dont mention the war :whistles:

NoraB
06-12-20, 06:17

It's usually that or the boiler blows (not a euphemism) :yesyes:

NoraB
06-12-20, 06:26
Bog standard for the time of year though....

:yesyes:

I love the word 'bog, but my mother - who came across distinctly Hyacinth Bucket (it's Bouquet) at times - used to tell me off for saying it. :shrug:

'Don't be so uncouth!'

Uncouth, moi? :ohmy:

Carys
06-12-20, 09:02
Gosh, I've not heard the word 'Uncouth' in many years, it was my Mum's favourite word at one time......you don't hear it any more. I have just found out that 'Couth' is a word too, and it obviously means the opposite. I might try and use it in conversation and see if anyone knows it lol

Lolalee1
06-12-20, 09:12
I have very good manners:D

NoraB
06-12-20, 09:52
Gosh, I've not heard the word 'Uncouth' in many years, it was my Mum's favourite word at one time......you don't hear it any more. I have just found out that 'Couth' is a word too, and it obviously means the opposite. I might try and use it in conversation and see if anyone knows it lol

My mother had quite the repertoire - most of which I didn't understand so I said, 'Yer wot Ma?' a lot, and she didn't care for that either lol

I don't know if you've ever watched Last of the Summerwine (where my Nora comes from) but my mother was a lot like the Edie Pegden character (Thora Hird) where she tries to be posh but reverts back to being a gobby Northerner when she's riled. :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
06-12-20, 14:19
:yesyes:

I love the word 'bog, but my mother - who came across distinctly Hyacinth Bucket (it's Bouquet) at times - used to tell me off for saying it. :shrug:

'Don't be so uncouth!'

Uncouth, moi? :ohmy:

Always reminds me of a scene in the film, Swamp Thing. He emerged and the female lead (Teri Garr?) asks "where did you come from?". He replies "the bog". Just makes me snigger :biggrin: Now if he had a paper under his arm too...

Lencoboy
06-12-20, 15:51
I've noticed over the past few days that (for better or worse) people generally don't seem to be making such a big deal over Covid as before. Ditto over on the Digital Spy forums.

NoraB
07-12-20, 07:30
Always reminds me of a scene in the film, Swamp Thing. He emerged and the female lead (Teri Garr?) asks "where did you come from?". He replies "the bog". Just makes me snigger :biggrin: Now if he had a paper under his arm too...

Paper, Smash Hits, book, mobile phone - I have to read when I'm on the bog or my colon goes on strike. :huh:

NoraB
07-12-20, 07:48
I've noticed over the past few days that (for better or worse) people generally don't seem to be making such a big deal over Covid as before. Ditto over on the Digital Spy forums.

It's almost Christmas. Everybody's pissed (except for me) and all our troubles seem so far away - because, as we know, Christmas throws a blanket of snow over all the shit along with having to be nice to people who've been @rseholes to us all year long. Also, the shops are open again, so people are busy ramping up those credit cards because there is nothing quite as joyful as opening up that statement in January, breaking into a cold sweat, and contemplating selling one of your kidneys, but what the hell - IT'S CHRIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTMAAAAAAAAAAS! :yesyes:

Lolalee1
07-12-20, 08:58
I would kill for some of that snow it’s so bloody hot and humid here.
My folks are arriving in 2weeks along with 2 sisters I can see that it’s gunna be a shit fight already,I told dad he ain’t putting up any fairy bloody lights they attract the bloody bugs and mum isn’t gunna wear her Mrs Claus outfit.
I know why it’s called Boxing Day.

NoraB
07-12-20, 09:06
My folks are arriving in 2weeks along with 2 sisters I can see that it’s gunna be a shit fight already

Get pissed, remain in a semi-conscious state the entire time and it'll soon be over mate. :yesyes:

Lolalee1
07-12-20, 09:20
Due to medication Nora I don’t drink if I did I would be chasing car tyres:D
We are having Xmas over on Hayman Island so at least I can escape from the sisters they get pissed and loose the plum in their gob.

Lencoboy
07-12-20, 15:59
It's almost Christmas. Everybody's pissed (except for me) and all our troubles seem so far away - because, as we know, Christmas throws a blanket of snow over all the shit along with having to be nice to people who've been @rseholes to us all year long. Also, the shops are open again, so people are busy ramping up those credit cards because there is nothing quite as joyful as opening up that statement in January, breaking into a cold sweat, and contemplating selling one of your kidneys, but what the hell - IT'S CHRIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTMAAAAAAAAAAS! :yesyes:

Dare I say it, cue daily Covid cases going back up again in due course, and inadvertently, hospitalisations and deaths.

And don't remind me of that poxy Slade record, which I have fantasies about fashioning into a frisbee and tossing it into hell out of my bedroom window!!

To add further insult to injury, being from the Polygram stable, most 7-inch vinyl 45 copies of that single release came with those hideous plastic centre labels where the information text for each record side was engraved into the centre of the disc in lieu of conventional paper labels and coloured with a special coating (usually silver) in order to make the (black) moulded text readable.

Horrible, horrible things!!

MyNameIsTerry
08-12-20, 07:24
Dare I say it, cue daily Covid cases going back up again in due course, and inadvertently, hospitalisations and deaths.

And don't remind me of that poxy Slade record, which I have fantasies about fashioning into a frisbee and tossing it into hell out of my bedroom window!!

To add further insult to injury, being from the Polygram stable, most 7-inch vinyl 45 copies of that single release came with those hideous plastic centre labels where the information text for each record side was engraved into the centre of the disc in lieu of conventional paper labels and coloured with a special coating (usually silver) in order to make the (black) moulded text readable.

They are stalling. So now it could be bumpy. Yet we are all well over the average. How accurate is that average? Is it unrealistic because it is skewed by outliers?

NoraB
08-12-20, 08:02

Me too cocker - seeing as it was playing when my dad was dying on a Christmas Day. He was in a general ward because he'd gone in as an emergency and there wasn't a side room to put him in even though they knew death was imminent. I'll never forget the look on the bloke's face who was in the opposite bed (leg in traction) or his family when they saw my obviously dead dad. Party hats, streamers, and sausage rolls - lots of laughter - and there was my dad - eyes staring, mouth open - gone to meet his maker. My old man looked like one of those frog bins that they put in infant schools. It bordered on the hilarious, in a One Foot in the Grave way - except my dad had both feet in. :ohmy:

Obviously, it's not Slade's fault, but I bloody hate that song now..

Yeah, I used to take them out of my brother's singles to piss him off lol

Lencoboy
08-12-20, 18:24
Me too cocker - seeing as it was playing when my dad was dying on a Christmas Day. He was in a general ward because he'd gone in as an emergency and there wasn't a side room to put him in even though they knew death was imminent. I'll never forget the look on the bloke's face who was in the opposite bed (leg in traction) or his family when they saw my obviously dead dad. Party hats, streamers, and sausage rolls - lots of laughter - and there was my dad - eyes staring, mouth open - gone to meet his maker. My old man looked like one of those frog bins that they put in infant schools. It bordered on the hilarious, in a One Foot in the Grave way - except my dad had both feet in. :ohmy:

Obviously, it's not Slade's fault, but I bloody hate that song now..

Yeah, I used to take them out of my brother's singles to piss him off lol

I think you must mean the black plastic snap-in adaptors in 45s with large centre holes, which were more the norm outside of the UK, as we generally had (and still do) smaller LP-sized holes in our 7-inch vinyl singles.

Or pressings with 4-prong perforated centres which were the norm from the EMI stable (and a couple of others) from the 50s through the early 80s.

What I can't stand about the Slade song, plus several other same old festive tunes we have to be bombarded with every flipping Christmas, is the fact that it's vastly overplayed, and nobody seems to give newer stuff a chance anymore, even the stuff that might actually be quite good.

People often moan about having to hear the same old songs every year but when they're given the opportunity to hear newer stuff, however good or bad it is, they say 'you'll never beat the old 'uns'!!

That's 'cause we never give things a chance and people increasingly seem to revel in slagging off all things new these days!!

NoraB
09-12-20, 06:43
I think you must mean the black plastic snap-in adaptors in 45s with large centre holes, which were more the norm outside of the UK, as we generally had (and still do) smaller LP-sized holes in our 7-inch vinyl singles.

Those are the ones. :yesyes: Easy to whip out and annoy older brothers ha ha

I used to love watching those records drop down onto the turntable - very satisfying. :)

What I can't stand about the Slade song, plus several other same old festive tunes we have to be bombarded with every flipping Christmas, is the fact that it's vastly overplayed, and nobody seems to give newer stuff a chance anymore, even the stuff that might actually be quite good.

If my memory serves me right. Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody was recorded in the summer, so it must have been hard to get those Christmas 'feels' when the pavement was melting outside. :huh:

Bottom line is that bands who turn out timeless tunes like Merry Xmas Everybody - secure themselves a none so little earner this time of year, and every year. It's estimated that Slade receives £5000,000 P/A in royalties on this song alone, so while some of us are bored shitless with hearing it - Noddy and Co are financially sound for another year.:yesyes:

Fairytale of New York is probably my favourite - closely followed by I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake.

People often moan about having to hear the same old songs every year but when they're given the opportunity to hear newer stuff, however good or bad it is, they say 'you'll never beat the old 'uns'!!

In 2009 people raged against the X Factor Christmas machine and made Killing in the Name number one. Fantastic song. I love it. Played it the other day. But no amount of alcohol and mince pie over-indulgence will mist the eyes up reminiscing about Christmas past when this song is playing. I grew up listening to Slade, Wizzard, Bing Crosby et al and it's those songs where my childhood memories are - it's just that Merry Xmas Everybody happened to be playing at the moment my dad passed away and that overrides everything else.

That's 'cause we never give things a chance and people increasingly seem to revel in slagging off all things new these days!!

To be fair, I've just done my 2020 Christmas playlist and there are the obligatory old ones but also some new songs and alternative ones - like Good Charlotte and their version of Last Christmas. Or Bob Dylan's It Must Be Santa and Pearl Jam's Let Me Sleep (it's Christmas) and also George Michael's December Song which was so underrated when he was alive, it's unreal. It's an absolute GEM of a track!

There is also this one album which has the power to reduce me to a blubbering wreck every year. The album is called Christmas with Bert Kaempfert and his Orchestra and it was the first Christmas album my parents ever bought. Every year they played this when they put the Christmas decs up. It's instrumental- aside some impressive high-pitched vocals - but it is distinctive because of Bert's unique style...

When my Dad died, my mum got a bloke to clear out the loft and this treasured album got caught up in the clearance by mistake. I think Mum had put it up there so she didn't have to see it, because the memories attached to it are so powerful, but she must have forgotten it was there. So we lost a precious part of our childhood, and those were the days before internet and Ebay..

Fast forward to a few years ago when I had a copy on CD but it wasn't the album of my childhood - it was a re-master and a different cover etc. Also, it didn't have the 'soul' of vinyl. One day I was talking to my friend, who owns an antique shop, and Bert came up in conversation - as did the story of how we lost this album. A few months later, I called into the shop and my friend passed something to me and she said' 'A gift for you'. I opened it and there was the album of my childhood - probably not the exact one - but you never know? But it was the album that I had grown up with. That Christmas I played it and it took me right back to my childhood - to that smell of those Christmas decorations which have been around a lot longer than us kids had been - and to a time when my parents were young and full of life. When they were alive, it meant that Christmas was on it's way. Now they're gone, it's about the memories of all those Christmases they worked so hard to make magical for me and my brothers..

MyNameIsTerry
09-12-20, 06:56
"Dont let the bells end" :biggrin:

Cowell won either way since he had a stake in RATM's release. Know Your Enemy was always my fave.

NoraB
09-12-20, 07:44
"Dont let the bells end" :biggrin:

Cowell won either way since he had a stake in RATM's release. Know Your Enemy was always my fave.

Cowell's got his fingers in ALL the pies. Where there is a chance of making some serious moolar - he's there.

Lolalee1
09-12-20, 10:13

I used to love watching those records drop down onto the turntable - very satisfying. :)

If my memory serves me right. Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody was recorded in the summer, so it must have been hard to get those Christmas 'feels' when the pavement was melting outside. :huh:

Bottom line is that bands who turn out timeless tunes like Merry Xmas Everybody - secure themselves a none so little earner this time of year, and every year. It's estimated that Slade receives £5000,000 P/A in royalties on this song alone, so while some of us are bored shitless with hearing it - Noddy and Co are financially sound for another year.:yesyes:

Fairytale of New York is probably my favourite - closely followed by I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake.

In 2009 people raged against the X Factor Christmas machine and made Killing in the Name number one. Fantastic song. I love it. Played it the other day. But no amount of alcohol and mince pie over-indulgence will mist the eyes up reminiscing about Christmas past when this song is playing. I grew up listening to Slade, Wizzard, Bing Crosby et al and it's those songs where my childhood memories are - it's just that Merry Xmas Everybody happened to be playing at the moment my dad passed away and that overrides everything else.

To be fair, I've just done my 2020 Christmas playlist and there are the obligatory old ones but also some new songs and alternative ones - like Good Charlotte and their version of Last Christmas. Or Bob Dylan's It Must Be Santa and Pearl Jam's Let Me Sleep (it's Christmas) and also George Michael's December Song which was so underrated when he was alive, it's unreal. It's an absolute GEM of a track!

There is also this one album which has the power to reduce me to a blubbering wreck every year. The album is called Christmas with Bert Kaempfert and his Orchestra and it was the first Christmas album my parents ever bought. Every year they played this when they put the Christmas decs up. It's instrumental- aside some impressive high-pitched vocals - but it is distinctive because of Bert's unique style...

When my Dad died, my mum got a bloke to clear out the loft and this treasured album got caught up in the clearance by mistake. I think Mum had put it up there so she didn't have to see it, because the memories attached to it are so powerful, but she must have forgotten it was there. So we lost a precious part of our childhood, and those were the days before internet and Ebay..

Fast forward to a few years ago when I had a copy on CD but it wasn't the album of my childhood - it was a re-master and a different cover etc. Also, it didn't have the 'soul' of vinyl. One day I was talking to my friend, who owns an antique shop, and Bert came up in conversation - as did the story of how we lost this album. A few months later, I called into the shop and my friend passed something to me and she said' 'A gift for you'. I opened it and there was the album of my childhood - probably not the exact one - but you never know? But it was the album that I had grown up with. That Christmas I played it and it took me right back to my childhood - to that smell of those Christmas decorations which have been around a lot longer than us kids had been - and to a time when my parents were young and full of life. When they were alive, it meant that Christmas was on it's way. Now they're gone, it's about the memories of all those Christmases they worked so hard to make magical for me and my brothers..

Now after reading about Bert Kaempfert I am sure we are relations lol.My folks had the same album and somehow went astray when they moved house,my sister found one in a record shop on the Sunshine Coast and mum was as happy as a pig in shit.Some good childhood memories Nora.:hugs:

Lencoboy
09-12-20, 19:14

Some interesting stories from your past there Nora.

I still believe with a passion that nostalgia in general has stolen the future, especially over the past 20 years or so.

One of my biggest bugbears is people posting negative reviews of music albums on Amazon and the like, and urging others to 'avoid them like the plague' and 'not to waste their hard-earned cash on them'.

Problem is, there's far too many sheep and virtue-signallers these days, and when just one or two people say something is crap, many others start believing them and they say I'm not buying the latest so and so because it's supposed to be crap, which is a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

What about the concept of 'one person's trash is another person's treasure'?

NoraB
10-12-20, 06:11
Some interesting stories from your past there Nora.

I still believe with a passion that nostalgia in general has stolen the future, especially over the past 20 years or so.

Years ago, it was the goal of most artists to be the Christmas Number one. It was a massive deal. The last Xmas number one I was interested in was Rage Against the Machine because I was pig sick of X Factor winners where the Xmas number one was guaranteed despite them having done very little to actually earn it. Then you get the Beeb inviting RATM in to do a censored version of a song where 'F**k you I won't do what you tell me' is repeated about 16 times - which - to be fair - the first few lines were censored, but then Zach went for it, turned the air blue, and the presenters had to apologise to the public. :whistles:

One of my biggest bugbears is people posting negative reviews of music albums on Amazon and the like, and urging others to 'avoid them like the plague' and 'not to waste their hard-earned cash on them'.

Yes, I hear you. Same with books. This is another reason why I prefer going to an actual bookstore..

Problem is, there's far too many sheep

Yep. No minds of their own, cocker...

What about the concept of 'one person's trash is another person's treasure'?

Absolutely. I agree (despite me taking the piss out of Barry Manilow on another thread) but I am having a laugh there because I am a music fan - not just into one specific genre.

Thing is, we all have different tastes, and that's how it should be or the world would be a total bore-fest. I LOVE how RATM shook things up, and it was a direct result of people saying that they'd had enough of the money-making X Factor machine stealing the Christmas number one!

Buster70
10-12-20, 20:37
My take on the lights is we don’t always know why they are up or the reason some go completely over the top , I took my granddaughter out and we saw a house completely covered in lights , I made a comment about the amount of lights ( for me enough is never enough only too much is enough not just with lights ) anyway my granddaughter said it’s her friends house and they do it because her little brother died of cancer , this year has been a shite one for most and not just because of covid , I lost my mum , my daughter started chemotherapy for ms , my anxiety is having great fun f**king with my head morning noon and night , so I went out bought some lights , got a ladder and against my partner and neighbours advice got up a wet and wobbly tree and made my garden festive ( Derick loves it ) my neighbour admitted he can’t compete with my lunacy, stood barefoot in the rain admiring my work I think he’s right .
Even if it give someone a small amount of pleasure in a very dark world it’s worth it , so light it up and turn up the volume , especially for Fairytale of New York .

NoraB
11-12-20, 07:06
My take on the lights is we don’t always know why they are up or the reason some go completely over the top , I took my granddaughter out and we saw a house completely covered in lights , I made a comment about the amount of lights ( for me enough is never enough only too much is enough not just with lights ) anyway my granddaughter said it’s her friends house and they do it because her little brother died of cancer , this year has been a shite one for most and not just because of covid , I lost my mum , my daughter started chemotherapy for ms , my anxiety is having great fun f**king with my head morning noon and night , so I went out bought some lights , got a ladder and against my partner and neighbours advice got up a wet and wobbly tree and made my garden festive ( Derick loves it ) my neighbour admitted he can’t compete with my lunacy, stood barefoot in the rain admiring my work I think he’s right .
Even if it give someone a small amount of pleasure in a very dark world it’s worth it , so light it up and turn up the volume , especially for Fairytale of New York .

While I genuinely struggle with the migraine inducing strobe fairy lights (autism) I do get where you're coming from Buster. I do love the mono-coloured twinkly ones and every year I ask Hubs to do the house and every year he says 'Don't think so ya naff bugger. So I have to make do with some battery operated ones wrapped round my bush (leave it) which I can sort myself. He's a bloody owd grinch, and I will probably get my wish when I'm dead because that's when husbands get all emosh and start doing those jobs wifey has been asking them to do. That, or they go out and celebrate lol

I'll play Fairytale of New York with ya - FULL VOLUME, and with the naughty words left in! :yesyes:

Lencoboy
11-12-20, 10:29
Well yesterday at my day centre, they had a Christmas compilation CD that was released in 1998 on (which omits the dreaded Slade song, thank God!), but to my surprise, it has the 1984 festive hit from that nonce case Gary Glitter, which must have been one of the very last Christmas comps to include said track.

And strangely there was not even a single murmur from anyone there over it, staff or clients.

Although I obviously hate GG's guts over the disgusting things he did to people in the past and quite rightly said song would never get away with being played in discos, on the radio/TV, and in other public environments etc nowadays, I couldn't help feeling a bit nostalgic in the sense that for better or worse, 1998 was still a seemingly more innocent and carefree time, obviously unlike these more enlightened times where people hang their heads in horror over 'Fairytale Of New York', 'Baby It's Cold Outside', etc!

BTW, does anyone remember the festive novelty hit from the late 90s era called 'Mr Hanky The Christmas Poo'?

Would that send the PC brigade into epic meltdowns today?

NoraB
11-12-20, 10:35
Well yesterday at my day centre, they had a Christmas compilation CD that was released in 1998 on (which omits the dreaded Slade song, thank God!), but to my surprise, it has the 1984 festive hit from that nonce case Gary Glitter, which must have been one of the very last Christmas comps to include said track.

Yes, we don't hear from Mr Glitter these days, and rightly so, so I was a bit taken aback at the use of one his hits in Joker...

Lolalee1
11-12-20, 11:09
Hi Buster :Dif you can google Kevin Bloody Wilson’s song -Hey Santa Claus:yesyes:i reckon you will love it,plus The Tokeable Christmas Tree :roflmao:

Buster70
11-12-20, 11:49
Nora good to know the double entendre is still alive and well in an age where everyone is offended by everything, all 150 different genders of them , they, shebe whobedy Whadie.
I had to break it to my daughter that her favourite track in the Joker film had a very murky past , this is the only time of year I don’t kick my car stereo when Micheal Bubble comes on , it’s a time for forgiving apparently.
Lola I’m very familiar with Kevin bloody Wilson’s work , an old mate used to put on a video after a drinking session , one we’d all seen many times , it usually meant time to feck off home .

NoraB
11-12-20, 12:29
Nora good to know the double entendre is still alive and well in an age where everyone is offended by everything, all 150 different genders of them , they, shebe whobedy Whadie.

Everybody is 'cocker' to me. :yesyes:

I had to break it to my daughter that her favourite track in the Joker film had a very murky past

To be fair, it's a GREAT track! Wasn't it also used in The Full Monty? :unsure: It's just that it's impossible to listen to it without the revulsion of what that monster has done...

MyNameIsTerry
11-12-20, 12:34

To be fair, it's a GREAT track! Wasn't it also used in The Full Monty? :unsure: It's just that it's impossible to listen to it without the revulsion of what that monster has done...

Yes, it was.

I listen to The Lost Prophets. Another monster.

Pamplemousse
11-12-20, 12:36
Returning to the subject line:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-berkshire-55230664

NoraB
11-12-20, 13:03
Yes, it was.

I listen to The Lost Prophets. Another monster.

Yes. You have to feel sorry for the rest of the band..

Lencoboy
11-12-20, 14:16

'Cocker' don't bother me in the slightest, to me it's always been a friendly (alternative) Brummy/Black Country expression for 'mate'!

No doubt certain scenes in 'The Full Monty' would today cause outrage amongst certain factions of our population, especially the negative portrayal and stereotyping of the Sheffield area, and making fun of the working classes!

Acceptable and funny in 1997, questionable in 2020!!

NoraB
11-12-20, 14:21
'Cocker' don't bother me in the slightest, to me it's always been a friendly (alternative) Brummy/Black Country expression for 'mate'!

Not sure why some Stokies have adopted it, but my MIL said it a lot. It's 'duck' generally - which can get confusing when standing at the carvery in a non-Stoke pub lol :roflmao:

Lencoboy
11-12-20, 14:28
Not sure why some Stokies have adopted it, but my MIL said it a lot. It's 'duck' generally - which can get confusing when standing at the carvery in a non-Stoke pub lol :roflmao:

To me, the expression 'me duck' has more in common with Burton on Trent than Stoke on Trent. Especially as the former area is where my current day centre is, so I am therefore quite familiar with a lot of their local lingo, even though I don't actually live there.

MyNameIsTerry
11-12-20, 14:42
To me, the expression 'me duck' has more in common with Burton on Trent than Stoke on Trent. Especially as the former area is where my current day centre is, so I am therefore quite familiar with a lot of their local lingo, even though I don't actually live there.

We get about :biggrin:

Probably find a fair few Stokies work there as there are some big businesses and it's a short run down the A50 with no traffic. Lots of Stokies work at JCB too.

NoraB
11-12-20, 14:55

I think 'duck' is a Derby saying too? Not 100% on that though..

I actually like the Stoke dialect - as in broad Potteries. Words like, cadge, clemmed, furk, 'atna, cosna - takes some learning but my Dad spoke fairly broad Potteries when he was with his mates and I got a crash course when I started on the Potbanks where the oldies took the piss if yer didna toke crate. :yesyes:

WiredIncorrectly
11-12-20, 15:49
As soon as it hits late November the wife puts all the decorations up. It makes the house feel warm, and cozy, and reminds me of all the Christmases I had as a child.

Around the 15th we're playing festive music, and watching Christmas films. It's one of the only times of the year I spend a long time in the living room. I snuggle up with a hot chocolate and put on Home Alone, or anything from Gene Wilder.

It's a lovely period to reminisce on the past with family members, and some that are no longer here. Lots of wonderful times shared, and lots more wonderful times to come :D

NoraB
11-12-20, 16:04
I snuggle up with a hot chocolate and put on Home Alone, or anything from Gene Wilder.

Home Alone is the best Christmas film, ever! Me and my lad watched it last weekend and no matter how many times I see that tarantula drop onto Marv's face, I wet myself laughing. It never gets old!

Speaking of which, did you know that the McAllister house was deliberately decorated in greens and reds so it would have that timeless Christmas feel? There is green and red stuff - even in the basement!

WiredIncorrectly
11-12-20, 17:30

How strange that we had this same convo :roflmao: ... damn.

WiredIncorrectly
11-12-20, 17:31
Speaking of which, did you know that the McAllister house was deliberately decorated in greens and reds so it would have that timeless Christmas feel? There is green and red stuff - even in the basement!

I didn't even notice that, yet I've seen the film probably over 100 times in my lifetime!

MyNameIsTerry
11-12-20, 20:26
As soon as it hits late November the wife puts all the decorations up. It makes the house feel warm, and cozy, and reminds me of all the Christmases I had as a child.

Around the 15th we're playing festive music, and watching Christmas films. It's one of the only times of the year I spend a long time in the living room. I snuggle up with a hot chocolate and put on Home Alone, or anything from Gene Wilder.

It's a lovely period to reminisce on the past with family members, and some that are no longer here. Lots of wonderful times shared, and lots more wonderful times to come :D

Gene Wilder? See No Evil, Hear No Evil! :roflmao:

WiredIncorrectly
11-12-20, 20:50
Gene Wilder? See No Evil, Hear No Evil! :roflmao:

I'm going to sound like a peanut, but I actually meant Chevy Chase. National Lampoons. I always get Gene Wilder and him confused. They don't even look the same so I've no idea why :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
12-12-20, 04:30
I'm going to sound like a peanut, but I actually meant Chevy Chase. National Lampoons. I always get Gene Wilder and him confused. They don't even look the same so I've no idea why :roflmao:

Ah Fletch and Clarke W Griswold. Watched Xmas Vacation last week "shitters full" cousin Eddy.

Caddyshack is another one.

NoraB
12-12-20, 04:32
I didn't even notice that, yet I've seen the film probably over 100 times in my lifetime!

I can't just watch a film. I have to know everything about it. Also need to watch all the credits. Hubs loves taking me to the cinema lol

NoraB
12-12-20, 05:31

No doubt certain scenes in 'The Full Monty' would today cause outrage amongst certain factions of our population, especially the negative portrayal and stereotyping of the Sheffield area, and making fun of the working classes!

Acceptable and funny in 1997, questionable in 2020!!

I can watch films from all eras and understand that they are films of their time, so it's not a problem to me. I watched The Full Monty with my MIL first time around and she said something like, 'Disgusting!' when the lot came off - but I noted she kept on lookin' lol - saucy mare! :D

Shadyboo
12-12-20, 05:34
Ha! I am the exact same way! I can't be surprised going in. If I don't know all the spoilers and everything about it, I can't watch. And the first thing I do when I get a new book is read the last page - which NEVER makes sense, but I can't handle not knowing!

NoraB
12-12-20, 06:04
Ha! I am the exact same way! I can't be surprised going in. If I don't know all the spoilers and everything about it, I can't watch. And the first thing I do when I get a new book is read the last page - which NEVER makes sense, but I can't handle not knowing!

I often flick through a book from the back to the front. You're fine. :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
12-12-20, 06:36
I can watch films from all eras and understand that they are films of their time, so it's not a problem to me. I watched The Full Monty with my MIL first time around and she said something like, 'Disgusting!' when the lot came off - but I noted she kept on lookin' lol - saucy mare! :D

Especially when the light shines out of Tom Wilkinson's bum at the end :biggrin:

NoraB
12-12-20, 06:59
Especially when the light shines out of Tom Wilkinson's bum at the end :biggrin:

I would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall during the full strip. Apparently it was very cold in that working men's club lol

Lencoboy
12-12-20, 17:22

Yes, 'TFM' was definitely 'of its time', and quite poignant in parts. I also found a lot of its F-bombs quite tedious and clichéd on occasions, even back in 97 when most of the time I wasn't generally too fussed about said word.

MyNameIsTerry
16-12-20, 06:13
Finally the experts agree Christmas music is bad for our health!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/christmas-music-can-damaging-mental-23161019

Cynical me thinks a new form of CBT will be out soon in the form of Christmas Behavioural Tuning :whistles:

(I also won't point out the gaping hole in their conclusion regarding the lack of saturation to our fave songs which suggests it's more likely Xmas music is a bit poo...)

Lencoboy
16-12-20, 17:06
Finally the experts agree Christmas music is bad for our health!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/christmas-music-can-damaging-mental-23161019

Cynical me thinks a new form of CBT will be out soon in the form of Christmas Behavioural Tuning :whistles:

(I also won't point out the gaping hole in their conclusion regarding the lack of saturation to our fave songs which suggests it's more likely Xmas music is a bit poo...)

Especially as most of us seem to pooh-pooh anything recorded and released since the mid-90s, and keep saying 'You'll never beat the old 'uns like Slade'!!

Yeah, that's 'cause we look back at those 'good ol' days' of the 70s and 80s with utmost glee when life was supposedly simpler and fairer, children and people with disabilities did as they were told or else, we could get away with being racist, sexist, ableist, smoking almost everywhere, drink-driving, boozing whilst on duty, thrashing the living daylights out of kids and dogs, you name it, all with relative impunity.

And then the PC and H&S brigades came along and put a stop to all those things that 'never did us any harm' back then!!

Over my dead body!!

Lencoboy
16-12-20, 17:24
Especially as most of us seem to pooh-pooh anything recorded and released since the mid-90s, and keep saying 'You'll never beat the old 'uns like Slade'!!

Yeah, that's 'cause we look back at those 'good ol' days' of the 70s and 80s with utmost glee when life was supposedly simpler and fairer, children and people with disabilities did as they were told or else, we could get away with being racist, sexist, ableist, smoking almost everywhere, drink-driving, boozing whilst on duty, thrashing the living daylights out of kids and dogs, you name it, all with relative impunity.

And then the PC and H&S brigades came along and put a stop to all those things that 'never did us any harm' back then!!

Over my dead body!!

BTW, I had a dekko at the linked article in the Daily Star, which I can most definitely relate to, but was accosted with other (sometimes non-related) random article links whilst reading it, and of course the endless adverts that flash in and out.

How ironic (and indeed hypocritical) of them to communicate a story to us about a form of sensory overload, then have the nerve to bombard us readers with even further sensory overload! Surely they could have put the links to all the other old guff they were trying to distract us with at the bottom of the page!

They should clearly hang their heads in shame over such double standards!!

NoraB
22-12-20, 07:53

Coincidentally, Mungo Jerry's 'In the Summertime' was at number 1 when I was born - "Have a drink, have a drive" and the, 'If her daddy's rich take her out for a Bernie - if her daddy's poor a bag of chips will do.' :ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
22-12-20, 20:59
Near me there is a skip rental yard. They have stacked 5 different sized skips, with a board in-between each so they sit on top, with a wooden star cut out and fairy lights strung all around the outlines.

On another Christmas note, and I reckon Nora will have noticed this, has anyone seen the M&S food adverts with actors voiceovers and a charity donation at the end? I'm sure Nora has noticed Tom Hardy sounds like he's having an orgasm over sprouts! :ohmy::blush:

NoraB
23-12-20, 06:10
On another Christmas note, and I reckon Nora will have noticed this, has anyone seen the M&S food adverts with actors voiceovers and a charity donation at the end? I'm sure Nora has noticed Tom Hardy sounds like he's having an orgasm over sprouts! :ohmy::blush:

Let's face it Terry, Tom could make a blocked bog in the gents loos sound sexy! :dribble:

pulisa
23-12-20, 19:54
Let's face it Terry, Tom could make a blocked bog in the gents loos sound sexy! :dribble:

He'd certainly be the cause of many a hot flush...

Pamplemousse
23-12-20, 21:41
Coincidentally, Mungo Jerry's 'In the Summertime' was at number 1 when I was born - "Have a drink, have a drive" and the, 'If her daddy's rich take her out for a Bernie - if her daddy's poor a bag of chips will do.' :ohmy:

Errr.... it was actually "If her daddy's rich take her out for a meal, if her daddy's poor just do what you feel".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wf11vZIkLk

Pamplemousse
23-12-20, 21:45
Oddly enough, as I was driving through my home village the other day, past all the ghastly flashing outdoor rubbish lights (which I hope the torrential rain we've had for twelve hours solid now will have killed a goodly few off) I did note with some pleasure that some households still opt to have a tree in the bay window with a minimal number of simple coloured lights that don't flash. It felt like it was the 70s again for me. :)

Sometimes, less is more.

glassgirlw
23-12-20, 21:59
I prefer the simple as well. White lights and blue/silver ornaments for me 5264

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-20, 00:07
I prefer the simple as well. White lights and blue/silver ornaments for me 5264

Clark Griswold would proud of that tree! :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-20, 00:08

:biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-20, 00:09

Whatever floats your...log :biggrin:

glassgirlw
24-12-20, 00:15
Clark Griswold would proud of that tree! :yesyes:

He is my Christmas hero after all... :roflmao:

NoraB
24-12-20, 07:36
Errr.... it was actually "If her daddy's rich take her out for a meal, if her daddy's poor just do what you feel".

Of course it was, but this is my interpretation of those lyrics - and I reckon it's fairly accurate! :yesyes:

So which one are you PM? A meal at the local Bernie? Or a bag of chips and then it's round the back of a skip? :emot-prettywink:

NoraB
24-12-20, 07:38

You da Queen of puns! :yesyes:

NoraB
24-12-20, 07:42
Whatever floats your...log :biggrin:

:roflmao:

Lencoboy
24-12-20, 09:29
Of course it was, but this is my interpretation of those lyrics - and I reckon it's fairly accurate! :yesyes:

So which one are you PM? A meal at the local Bernie? Or a bag of chips and then it's round the back of a skip? :emot-prettywink:

Blimey, Berni Steakhouses, a blast from the past!

They all suddenly disappeared around the early 90s, presumably the company must have gone bust back then.

Those lyrics must have been in some kind of 'parody' version of the song.
Barron Knights perhaps?

NoraB
24-12-20, 11:16
Blimey, Berni Steakhouses, a blast from the past!

Going for a Berni was a treat for us. Best (and only) dress on!:scared15:

Those lyrics must have been in some kind of 'parody' version of the song.
Barron Knights perhaps?

Nah. I made them up. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the Barron Knights did do something with that song. I'll have to find out now! :yesyes:

meltedchic
24-12-20, 12:14
But do you agree that good old holiday decorations are classical and they got the glow of the holiday spirit?

Lencoboy
29-10-21, 19:11
It's only 2 days till Halloween and a family around the corner from us have had their big hulking strobe-like Christmas lights up for the past week already.

I"m by no means a killjoy, plus I usually try to have as much as a 'live and let live' attitude as possible and I do love Christmas lights in general, but isn't it still a bit premature in October to make the outside of one's house look like a disco?

Plus it's enough to induce an epileptic seizure when I"m walking the dog in the evening, even though (touch wood) I've never suffered from epilepsy.

Fishmanpa
29-10-21, 20:44
It's only 2 days till Halloween and a family around the corner from us have had their big hulking strobe-like Christmas lights up for the past week already.

I"m by no means a killjoy, plus I usually try to have as much as a 'live and let live' attitude as possible and I do love Christmas lights in general, but isn't it still a bit premature in October to make the outside of one's house look like a disco?

Plus it's enough to induce an epileptic seizure when I"m walking the dog in the evening, even though (touch wood) I've never suffered from epilepsy.

Why does this bother you? Who cares what other people do for the holidays? There are some really extreme Halloween decorations as well as other holidays in my neighborhood but eh... to each their own regardless of my 'opinion'. Yeah, some can be extreme but why let it bother you to the point of posting about it? :shrug:

FMP

Catkins
29-10-21, 22:01
Today my sister posted (on FB) some pictures of her friends living room. I nearly fell off my sofa, the Christmas tree was up! When I zoomed in it was covered in Halloween decorations. I thought it was a novel idea.

I am rather partial to the little white sparkly lights that get put up in trees around our town centre. Not so fussed about flashing santas though (not the rude kind of flashing 😁).

MyNameIsTerry
30-10-21, 01:21
Today my sister posted (on FB) some pictures of her friends living room. I nearly fell off my sofa, the Christmas tree was up! When I zoomed in it was covered in Halloween decorations. I thought it was a novel idea.

I am rather partial to the little white sparkly lights that get put up in trees around our town centre. Not so fussed about flashing santas though (not the rude kind of flashing 😁).

This is sooo going to be your Secret Santa after that :biggrin:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51EIAmnr1QL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Catkins
30-10-21, 06:15
🤣🤣🤣

Lencoboy
30-10-21, 12:31
This is sooo going to be your Secret Santa after that :biggrin:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51EIAmnr1QL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Santa Pervs (lol)!!

Lencoboy
30-10-21, 12:36
Why does this bother you? Who cares what other people do for the holidays? There are some really extreme Halloween decorations as well as other holidays in my neighborhood but eh... to each their own regardless of my 'opinion'. Yeah, some can be extreme but why let it bother you to the point of posting about it? :shrug:

FMP

You're right that it's rather trivial in the grand scheme of things and not realIy my immediate problem, plus I did say that I"m no killjoy and I normally have a 'live and let live' philosophy, but I'm still entitled to my opinion that it's still a tad premature right now.

Of course, hardly the end of the world though!

Lencoboy
30-10-21, 12:37

Wow, a 'Halloween' tree!
Originality is always key.

BlueIris
30-10-21, 14:25
You? Live and let live? You hardly ever have a positive thing to say about anybody or anything!

Lencoboy
30-10-21, 18:38
You? Live and let live? You hardly ever have a positive thing to say about anybody or anything!

Sorry BI, but I resent that remark.

Like I said to FMP, I have a right to express my opinion about not wishing to be visually assaulted by outdoor fairy lights with a strobe-like effect, plus I believe the family who currently have them blaring away right now don't appear to be showing any consideration for their immediate neighbours.

Thank god their house isn't in view of ours!

BlueIris
30-10-21, 19:19
I'm sorry for causing offence, but you do seem to have a really negative outlook and not a whole lot of respect for your fellow human beings.

It wouldn't be so bad if you ever showed enthusiasm for anything. If that's the way you're content to be, though, not my business, especially when I don't have the good sense not to click.

WiredIncorrectly
30-10-21, 20:30
I'm not fond of Christmas lights because as a kid I seen a TV advert that was warning people about them catching fire. When we put the tree up I always turn them off unless somebody is in the room :roflmao:

Lencoboy
30-10-21, 21:52
I'm sorry for causing offence, but you do seem to have a really negative outlook and not a whole lot of respect for your fellow human beings.

It wouldn't be so bad if you ever showed enthusiasm for anything. If that's the way you're content to be, though, not my business, especially when I don't have the good sense not to click.

It does seem as if you're jumping to conclusions about me. You're saying I don't have a whole lot of respect for my fellow human beings, which is totally untrue.

Though I do agree wholeheartedly with you that I can be negative about many things, and perhaps I should try to be a bit more positive.

I do have enthusiasm for things, but I don't always happen to express it on here, at least not always in great detail.

Don't get me wrong BI, I don't have any bad feelings about you, nor anyone else on here for that matter. I may sometimes say things that yourself and others may happen to find objectionable, but there's never any malice nor full-on offence intended.

After all, we're only human.

Lencoboy
30-10-21, 22:00
I'm not fond of Christmas lights because as a kid I seen a TV advert that was warning people about them catching fire. When we put the tree up I always turn them off unless somebody is in the room :roflmao:

Oh the power of old-school PIFs!

Nevertheless, it's always common sense to switch off the lights when unattended. Plus it's less likely to waste the leccy.

Our set is battery-powered, so the potential fire hazards are probably much less compared to conventional mains-powered sets. Nevertheless, it's still better to be safe than sorry.

Pamplemousse
30-10-21, 22:42

I knew there were warnings about unattended candles on Christmas trees, but a trawl of the PIFs at the National Archives found nothing relating to normal lightbulbs? Mind you, I'm of an age where we were advised at close-down to turn off our television sets and unplug them from the wall...

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-21, 06:15
I knew there were warnings about unattended candles on Christmas trees, but a trawl of the PIFs at the National Archives found nothing relating to normal lightbulbs? Mind you, I'm of an age where we were advised at close-down to turn off our television sets and unplug them from the wall...

Candles on a Christmas tree just sounds dangerous full stop to me. Also, remember to put those unattended naked flames out that you put next to that Jerry can :ohmy:

Lencoboy
31-10-21, 06:43
Candles on a Christmas tree just sounds dangerous full stop to me. Also, remember to put those unattended naked flames out that you put next to that Jerry can :ohmy:

Candles on Christmas trees most certainly seems unthinkable and indeed beyond the pale nowadays!

Mind you, a lot of things were done years ago without as much as a second thought that would be considered highly dangerous today.

Carnation
31-10-21, 09:27
Sometimes people do like to celebrate in a decorative way because it gives them something to focus on and brightens up their home and lives, no matter what time of year. I know last year was a big increase in lights and decorations caused by doom and gloom during the pandemic. In fact my town had a competition so you can imagine the extent of flashing, twinkling lights.
People also like to brighten up dark and miserable days, maybe have lights on for birthdays and celebrations. Some of my lights are up permanently so I can just switch them on for a celebration or visitors, (quite rare though).
My neighbour made a comment when I had lights on for my birthday saying "it's miles away from Christmas" not realising it was for my birthday and I couldn't be asked to tell her with a reaction like that.
You never know what sadness or struggles people are suffering behind closed doors and a few twinkling lights can give someone a smile then I'm a fan. :noangel:

glassgirlw
31-10-21, 12:19
I’ll be honest, I’m one of those that would gladly put up my Christmas tree before Halloween if I could get away with it (hubby thinks it’s “cluttered” lol). I think my earliest record was putting it up November 1st. I don’t know why…I just love sitting in the dark with only the tree lights on, fire in the grate, cup of coffee. It’s very relaxing for me. I have pared down the decor over the years, I go for more a simplistic and traditional theme of late. But I love it nonetheless. Attaching a pic of last years tree.

BlueIris
31-10-21, 12:23
That's so beautiful, Glassgirl! And you're right, there's something very soothing about sitting in the semi-darkness with the tree lights shining.

Carnation
31-10-21, 12:35
That's a beautiful tree glassgirlw.

Pamplemousse
31-10-21, 12:41
When I was younger and lived at home, the Christmas tree typically went up around my late mother's birthday, which was the 6th - so usually, the first or maybe second Sunday of December. It then took pride of place in the front room, sometimes in the bay window until a few days after Twelfth Night, so it was up for the date my late father would have celebrated Christmas (he was Ukrainian).

Lights were the old-fashioned moulded glass ones where if one bulb failed, they all went out: a string of twelve. Nowadays if you want to find an original set of those, expect to pay good money.

Lencoboy
31-10-21, 13:35
When I was younger and lived at home, the Christmas tree typically went up around my late mother's birthday, which was the 6th - so usually, the first or maybe second Sunday of December. It then took pride of place in the front room, sometimes in the bay window until a few days after Twelfth Night, so it was up for the date my late father would have celebrated Christmas (he was Ukrainian).

Lights were the old-fashioned moulded glass ones where if one bulb failed, they all went out: a string of twelve. Nowadays if you want to find an original set of those, expect to pay good money.

Yes, it's a case of 'you get what you pay for', PM.

Plus back then most fairy light manufacturers designed their products to a common bulb-type which was interchangeable between most sets, even between different brands, unlike most later manufacturers who seem to have chopped and changed their basic bulb types every couple of years so that a much-loved set originally bought 5-10 years earlier is basically useless once the bulbs fail, as it's usually nigh on impossible to source exact replacements.

Having to replace cheapo stuff every 2-3 years is very much a false economy IMO, but then again, there isn't usually that much of a choice nowadays, as even many of the more historically reputable brands have jumped on the 'cheap and tacky' bandwagon!

pulisa
31-10-21, 13:48
What a beautiful tree, Glassgirl.....

Catkins
31-10-21, 15:03
I know it might seem odd to a lot of people, but I'm really late putting my decorations up. But there is a reason, I'm not a bah-humbug person really. My son was born on Christmas day, so to make a kind of clear separation for him, we would usually have a party or something for him the weekend before Christmas and I wouldn't put decorations up until after then.

He's not so bothered now, bit I didn't want him to feel he was missing out when he was younger. Strangely though I still leave it until quite late to put them up and last year because of being in isolation I only put up our little tree and a stocking for our son. Although he tree does have sparkly lights on 😁

Lencoboy
12-11-21, 18:58
Well the family who (prematurely) put up their epileptic seizure-inducing strobe-like Christmas lights more than a fortnight ago have now installed a teepee-like frame structure on their front lawn, and have decorated it with static clear lights, and looks like a real work of art, but still a shame about the disco strobe-like lighting at high level on the front face of their house, that forms a star motif, with 3 concentric layers of 'strobe'-type lights, rapidly alternating between each layer (out-in, I think).

But instead, when I walk the dog past it in the evenings, I focus instead on the 'teepee' light thingy.

dorabella
14-11-21, 20:51
When I was a child Christmas did not start until 1 December and you didn't see a sign of anything remotely Christmassy until that date in the shops ... made it special and kids looked forward to it. Never gone in for the OTT Christmas light shows that some seem to like to ... in fact I haven't put up a tree or any of the associated fripperies for years.

My dad's childhood Christmas tree (now over 80 years old) still makes a showing at my parents' house ... complete with its original ancient candle brackets and old fashioned painted ornaments. It;s very quaint and has never had a single electric bulb draped around its fragile branches.

Fishmanpa
14-11-21, 23:01
I say whatever gets your rocks off. If you don't like it so be it. No sense in allowing it to bother you :shrug:

FMP

Pamplemousse
14-11-21, 23:16
I think my sister dropped a hint that she would like to borrow some of our parents' decorations for her tree this year, which I have in storage. They live in a number of those lovely old biscuit tins you used to see that had printed paper pictures pasted onto the tins. If we assume my parents got some when they first got married, they'll be 69 years old this year.

I think there are some clip-on candle holders in there, complete with never-lit candles.

Lencoboy
15-11-21, 07:49
I think my sister dropped a hint that she would like to borrow some of our parents' decorations for her tree this year, which I have in storage. They live in a number of those lovely old biscuit tins you used to see that had printed paper pictures pasted onto the tins. If we assume my parents got some when they first got married, they'll be 69 years old this year.

I think there are some clip-on candle holders in there, complete with never-lit candles.

Seriously I wonder how many Christmas trees caught fire back in the days (and inadvertently started house fires) when candles on them were the norm and before electric fairy lights were developed?

Seems totally unthinkable nowadays with H & S and all that jazz!

BlueIris
15-11-21, 08:31
What are your Christmas plans for this year, Lenco?

Lencoboy
15-11-21, 11:47
What are your Christmas plans for this year, Lenco?

Good question BI.

Haven't planned anything just yet but I certainly have higher hopes for Christmas this year in general than last year, when we were mostly in lockdown.

Lencoboy
20-12-21, 08:58
Back to my gripes about Christmas lights with strobe effects, I personally think those who designed them to be like that must have been crackers, especially in these H & S-obsessed times where they can cause epileptic seizures, and of course the blame/suing culture we now have.

That aside, there are some true works of art around our estate again this year.

Carnation
20-12-21, 10:13
Personally I don't like them flashing. They can be quite irritating as well, so I go for static or a soft twinkle.
But I do appreciate the effort of the wonderful displays and work that has gone into their displays.

Pamplemousse
20-12-21, 12:58
Personally I don't like them flashing. They can be quite irritating as well, so I go for static or a soft twinkle.
But I do appreciate the effort of the wonderful displays and work that has gone into their displays.

I turned up at work on Friday afternoon to be presented with a ratty little Christmas 'tree' made out of green enamelled copper wire with LEDs at the ends, which ran off two AA batteries. Only half the LEDs lit and it ate batteries. For whatever reason, I was the only one of three electronics engineers that could actually diagnose the fault, find it and repair it...

I did find myself looking at displays on my drive home and marvelling at them, but I long for the simple light strings made up of just twelve moulded glass bulbs and some lovely glass baubles, as were common in the 1950s.

Lencoboy
22-12-21, 09:18
I did find myself looking at displays on my drive home and marvelling at them, but I long for the simple light strings made up of just twelve moulded glass bulbs and some lovely glass baubles, as were common in the 1950s.

And still common during the most part of the 80s IIRC. It's only really been since around the mid-90s or so that all the fancy OTT designs have essentially become the norm, especially with many people trying to outdo each other with their increasingly elaborate 'in-yer-face' flashing displays that resemble discos and inadvertently pushing everything to the max ever since then!

Seriously, sometimes less is more.