PDA

View Full Version : Re-training your brain

Madwoman
04-02-05, 09:10
Does anyone have any tips for re-training your brain to cope with pa's? especially the heart attack/stroke aspect and the feelings of dread? Sometimes ive been so bad ive cancelled weekend breaks and holidays much to my partners disgust) because after all there is nothing wrong with me is there?

Other times ive made a mental note of every hospital we pass on the way to Cornwall just in case I need to get there quick (barmy I know)Trace xx

mico
04-02-05, 13:59
Hi Trace

I take it you fear heart attacks and strokes, which in turn brings on symptoms such as chest pains when you worry about it?

I don't suffer from these symptoms but one thing that has been mentioned quite a few times before on here, is exercise. Obviously exercise being one of the things that people fear will bring on these types of fears/symptoms.

You don't say a lot in your post, but I'm going to assume that rigorous exercise is a no go for you due to your fear. In which case it could be useful for expanding your comfort zone. Basically, just taking very small steps, for example you could start off with a short walk, then go a little further each day. If you get to the point where you don't feel you can do any more, don't put too much pressure on yourself, just try to keep up what yopu've been doing without forcing yourself to go any further for a while. Then once you begin to feel more comfortable with that, then you can begin to push yourself a little further. If this really creates a big worry for you, you can take someone with you to reassure you.

Once you get into a good exercise routine, you may well find yourself becoming more relax with the whole thing, and you're getting exercise which is going to help your heart, which may also help to reassure you further.

Same goes for the travelling too, i guess. A little further everyday/week/month, gradually easing out of your comfort zone, until you feel comfortable with what you are doing.

Good luck

mico

Madwoman
04-02-05, 14:39
I dont actually fear heart attack/stroke until I get a panic attack - vicious circle I know.

razocaine_07
04-02-05, 14:44
i get really bad chest pains which i now believe to be muscle spasms from the tension i get when i have a panic attack. Originally i thought the pain was my heart ready to pop. The more times it happened the less effect it had on me

JPF
04-02-05, 15:50
Hi Trace

When I had my first PA I was convinced it was a heart attack - fortunately I realised very quickly what it was, did some research and ended-up here (thankfully!)

What's worked for me is blanking off the negative thoughts - as soon as I've started feeling/thinking them I stop them. At least, I should say, that's what I try to do. It's not always successful but with practice it gets easier. However, some people believe that going with the thoughts and 'riding the wave' of fear (as it were) helps because once you realise the feelings are actually 'just' caused by panic then they become less threatening.. I've never been able to go with the thought process so I just try to nip them in the bud by thinking about something else but whatever works for you, use it! I'd have happily drunk petrol if I'd have thought it would have done any good when I was at my worst! :) Another trick I read (it was a stress buster tip) was to flick your eyes rapidly between two points in the middle distance for about 15-30 seconds.. for some reason it helps the brain 'calm down' and that has definitely helped me too..

A panic attack is never nice but I think once you really accept what they are and what they are doing to you then you can become a bit more objective about them and not get as scared as you initially did. You realise you're not actually dying or that bits of you are about to stop working but it's just your body reacting in a hyper-alarmed state (known as 'Fight or Flight') It is possible to beat the damned things, it takes effort but it's definitely achievable.. Accepting that you have Panic Attacks and recognising them for what they are is a big step forward and gives you something to build on - what you wrote and feel isn't barmy at all - we've all had strange/irrational/weird feelings and fears (some of mine would make a Spike Milligan script and/or Salvador Dali painting look tame!:)), it's just part and parcel of this rotten condition but knowing it is almost half the battle.

There is a large, sympathetic and very experienced group of people here and finding a great resource like the forum and parent website should help you out a great deal.

Keep fighting it and don't give in!

Good luck and good health

J