PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

UserName20
06-12-20, 21:00
Hey guys. If you guys saw my other post you may know that my work place doesn’t wear masks. None of the managers wear masks, nobody except for me. When I was hired they told me that since we are in an office in cubicles that’s why nobody wears masks, whoever, everyone is constantly at each other’s desks or at mine talking and nobody has one on. I am very anxious all of the time being there. Now on Friday I heard two of the girls whispering that they have been exposed and whispering about getting tested. The one girl had been gone for two days and then decided she was coming on Friday even though I could hear her sniffling and sneezing. From what I heard them whispering about the girls sister had covid and she was asking if she could get tested “but like my symptoms just seemed like the cold so like idk like does that count?” Thats the the actually sentence coming out of her mouth. The other girl was saying her cousin has it and she was around them. I was just at my desk in tears and felt myself getting so worked up. We have a newborn at my house, that would be so horrible if I brought it home.

After work I texted one of the girls and told her I heard what they were saying and wanted to know if I should be concerned as I have a baby niece at home. The girl told me that she thinks they are both just paranoid and that I shouldn’t be too paranoid. She told me she got tested last week and she was negative. ( yet she was at work all week talking to me and everyone else without a mask )

I just don’t know what to do... I could try and message my manager but she nor the main boss wear masks either so I doubt they would listen, the next step may be the health department but I’m worried everyone at my job would end up hating me... I am just so scared. If the girls sister has covid and she was gone sick with “cold symptoms” for a day and a half and came back Friday still sounding sick I can only assume she has it. And if she has it, I assume I may as well too. :( I heard her saying she may get tested this weekend for her two paid weeks off. ( yet she still can’t bother putting a mask on as she is telling people this) I will never understand how people are so selfish.

I wear my mask, I sanitize and wash my hands constantly, I clean my phone and everything when I get home, I dont go anywhere. The only person i see besides my family I live with is my boyfriend. ( and now I’m staying away from him for a couple weeks or until I figure out what exactly the heck is going on at my work) I am SO careful and others just ruin it by their selfishness. I am 20 and I’m so afraid I’m going to get sick and die because I am a bit overweight. I don’t want anyone in my house getting sick especially my baby niece.

If she is there tomorrow still sounding sick I think I am just going to lose my cool. I came every close Friday.

Fishmanpa
06-12-20, 21:58
Document everything you can and hire a lawyer.

Positive thoughts

NancyW
06-12-20, 22:33
You're in the US, if we feel uncomfortable anywhere we are to notify the health department.

glassgirlw
06-12-20, 23:43
I get where you’re coming from. My work has been the exact same way. Within the last two weeks I have FINALLY gotten everyone to wear masks anytime they’re up moving from their desks. But it’s taken how many months to reach that point. Frustrating.

Lolalee1
07-12-20, 09:27
Document everything you can and hire a lawyer.

Positive thoughts

Didn’t that FWit Trump say after his so called Covid that it won’t hurt you?and it’s a hoax
all those people where you work must be supporters of the p rick.
Shame on all of them.:mad:you keep wearing a mask and wash your hands it is terrible over there.
Take Care.
Connie x

UserName20
09-12-20, 13:17
I found something online that I can fill out about a workplace for the health department. If they were to walk in the first person they would see if a girl at a desk without a mask on greeting them so I’m sure they wouldn’t like that.

I have been trying to stay away from them. I stay in my cubicle area and I try not to leave it if they are out and about and I always keep my mask on and use sanitizer constantly. I got an email from my manager yesterday saying we will all be meeting in the conference room on Thursday for annual violence training session for an hour. And to be honest that just pisses me off. The main boss has meetings in there constantly of it seems like 20 people who never wear masks, ( pretty sure he has called in sick the last two days too ) my manager doesn’t wear one so obviously she’s not going to instruct the others to when we all go in there together. Someone at my mom’s work was walking around telling everyone that her husband has pneumonia and they think it’s covid and they are waiting on his test results. I think she thought it was funny until the manager overheard and sent her straight home. I’ve known a couple people who have passed away from it and I am just so tired of all of the “it’s just a hoax and not even a real virus” crap I see all over my social media.

UserName20
09-12-20, 13:33
If I was lucky they would pay a visit while the guy who takes temps ( I mean only about once a week if he feels like it, as they state ), is walking around taking everyone’s without a mask either. Even if someone’s temp reads 100.4 or higher they laugh like it’s hilarious and shrug it off.

ErinKC
09-12-20, 15:27
If I was lucky they would pay a visit while the guy who takes temps ( I mean only about once a week if he feels like it, as they state ), is walking around taking everyone’s without a mask either. Even if someone’s temp reads 100.4 or higher they laugh like it’s hilarious and shrug it off.

I'm so sorry. This is horrible. I agree with others about reporting to the health department. What state are you in?

UserName20
09-12-20, 15:31
I’m in Illinois south of Chicago. The numbers are pretty bad even just in my county. We have a population of 50,000 for the county so it’s a small county, but we are averaging 100 or so new cases a day for the past month it seems. Our hospital was turning people away a few weeks ago as they were at their max with covid patients, I think they have some room now but it’s not a lot and they are still very close to being overwhelmed.

The only comfort I take is knowing that I have tried my best to be careful and be considerate of those around me. I don’t go anywhere. I find ways around shopping such as using curbside pickup, I’ve really enjoyed using Amazon for Christmas shopping this year. I am having my grandmas groceries delivered to her just on her porch. Her and I are really close but I won’t let myself be a risk to her. And it stinks, most people my age who are 20 or younger just seem to shrug it off and still be getting in huge groups because “they will be fine.” Honestly being 20 I feel like the odds tend to be in my favor, but there is that uncertainly still because I know some young people so become very ill. And not just that, I know it is not just about me and I don’t want to give it to anyone else, period.

I have unfortunately grown apart from my friends during this time as I am not willing to be around a bunch of people, my baby niece was born in August and nobody in our family besides those of us living together in the same house have been able to see her. My grandma would come over and see her through the screen door in the summer but that was all. It is just so heartbreaking but I know and am proud that we try our very best to make the right decisions as I’m sure many of us on here do the same.

ErinKC
09-12-20, 16:44
I'm really sorry you're going through this. It's so, so hard to watch the people around us not take it seriously. I'm 37 and thankfully most of my friends are being good, too, but I have a few who have not been nice about it and it hurts. My whole family's mental health has taken a real hit this year, but we really felt the right thing to do was to remain careful both for our own health and the health of others. It's been hurting my soul the way people in America are behaving. It's really made me disappointed in society as a whole an has changed the way I see the world altogether. I can't imagine how much harder it must be in your age group!

I appreciate that you've continued to do the right thing and so do many others who have taken this seriously the whole time!