PDA

View Full Version : Food & Drink i keep clear off

razocaine_07
04-02-05, 16:09
If your like me, and your very aware of when your stomach is churning or your physical symptoms revolve around your belly, i have noticed that i can prevent some sickly feelings which can bring on panic attacks by keeping clear of some food and drinks

1. all fizzy drinks, espcially right before eating or straight after eating,
2. 'heavy food' - this would include McDonalds and really fatty foods
3. sweets high in sugar content ( probably most of them )
4. coffee/ things with caffine in

These are just things that i have made me really unwell on a regular basis to the point i feel a panic attack coming on. Especially the fizzy drinks

Meg
04-02-05, 16:16
How we are all different... well done in manageing to identify what suited you and thansk for sharing.

I used fizzy drinks especially tonic water to relieve the churning feelings - mainly on an empty tummy. Brought up a few good burps and the nausea passed within minutes.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

JPF
04-02-05, 16:29
If it works for you (whether it's by having fizzy drinks or avoiding them) I say go with it! :)

For me, cutting-out caffeine has had a considerable effect.. I was drinking huge mugs of tea several times a day, now I drink no more than one cup of tea (in the morning) and a small coffee at work (in very small paper cups) and it seems to have made a considerable difference to me.. I haven't had a migraine or a tension headache for some weeks.. brilliant :)

I used to follow the Eat Right for your Type (Blood Group) diet and that used to help me mentally and physically in the past without question. I avoid dairy and cereal too - it just makes me feel better in myself - which is a big help generally!

Cheers

J

seh1980
04-02-05, 17:49
Caffeine is definitely the evil one!! :D

Rennie1989
05-02-05, 19:05
AAAAGGGH

IM ADICTED TO COFFEE

Scooter Girl AKA Jade

Tracy68
05-02-05, 20:23
I have found also that cutting down on my cups of tea has helped. I'm now drinking plenty of water instead. Mind you cutting down, i seem to suffer a bit more with headaches but guess thats part of a withdrawal type thingy.
Tracy
x

JPF
05-02-05, 21:07
Tracy68 I had blinding headaches for about 3-5 days when I cut out caffeine the first time - this time I reduced it gradually and it seemed to be less of a shock to the system.

Scooter Girl - could you try de-caff coffee?? :D

Cheers

J

FAN
05-02-05, 21:12
its all the stuff you like that has to be cut out everytime..........the doc never tells you that cutting down on sprouts might help doers he?

fan x

JPF
06-02-05, 11:40
LOL! Fan, you're absolutely right! I remember explaining to a friend some of the triggers for migraine - coffee, cheese, red wine, chocolate, citrus fruits and he interrupted and said "Everything that makes life worth living, then?" :D

bluebottle
06-02-05, 11:46
I just have caffeine free coffee and tea, and still enjoy a nice cuppa.

Oh, and I love sprouts. :)

Regards,

Blue

JPF
06-02-05, 12:10
Hey Blue

Did you find the taste of the caffeine-free varieties easy to get used to? I've tried them and didn't like them at all.. I'm drinking cordials with hot water because I've also tried the flavoured teas and didn't like them either!

Sprouts!? The Devil's Cabbage Balls! :D Yuck! Yuck!

nomorepanic
06-02-05, 22:54
I went caffeine free about 7 years ago. I dont mind de-caff atall. Tastes the same to me. People take caffeine for a buzz - us panickers don't need that lol.

I still very occaionally drink "real" coke and lucozade cos I love it but sometimes it makes me a bit edgy. I drink caffeine free and diet coke but I crave real coke and I have to go careful with it.

Chocolate has caffeine in too don't forget!

Nicola

razocaine_07
07-02-05, 00:33
i think they should outlaw caffine, lol , make it a class C drug. I didnt like the smell of my breath after a cuppa, lol

Chris X
16-02-05, 00:12
Hi, I cut out exactly the same as you and have noticed a difference for the better. Anather thing i have also cut down on was pasta as that left me feeling boated and uncomfortable for ages and found it harder to diest than most foods. I try to eat less amounts of it nowadays as i remmember on many occations it also gave me more energy than i needed because of the high carbs it contained.
I try to eat more protain foods as its said to repair torn muscle tissue quickly and as a anxiety sufferer im always pulling my muscles because of the tension. We are all different though and we soon find out what foods uit us best, good luck, Chrisx

mojo5
16-02-05, 09:59
Yup - Caffiene is the devils potion ! Avoid it like the plague.
Along with dark choc, red wine and coke.

I drink Roibos tea - it has no caffeine - it does have an aquired taste but once you get used to it, it's a really refreshing alternative. Normal tea tastes foul to me now.

I also eat better foods ( slow burning carbs ) more regularly through the day and this seems to manage my blood sugar well - so that I don't just crash.

As for sprouts ? I think there's enough gaseous exchange on this site already ! LOL

Best Wishes,
Mo.

Meg
16-02-05, 14:45
Mojo - well done for sticking with it . It's really good to see people seeing the benefit of the recommendations we make.

I would outlaw - redbull and stuff like that. Totally loaded with chemicals, caffiene and sugar - a pure recipe for panic .

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

jo-jo
21-02-05, 20:05
I also cut out caffeine about 6 months ago and now drink only de-caff (can't tell the difference these days) - and I feel much better for it.

The hardest thing for me was (and still is to some degree) giving up sugar which I'm prone to having a terrible cravings for [}:)]. The trouble with sugar is it sends your blood sugar levels all over the place and your body ends up unable to deal with its own insulin response; the result of which is that many people become insulin resistant. A rather radical view is that blood sugar problems underlie several mental health conditions but even though this view may be somewhat extreme, there's no doubt sugar and anxiety do not go at all well together.

A few of you have mentioned other rather more innocous foods that you can't cope with - I'm thinking about having a full food intolerance test(so far I've tested positive but haven't gone the whole hog to find out what I'm intolerant to, cost being the issue!) so I'll let you know whether removing the 'culprit' foods helps in terms of anxiety once I've had it done!

Best wishes
Jo xx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

Katie27jt
02-03-09, 09:12
Can anyone else taste the difference between decaf and normal coffee?
It worries me that I can!
x

mickh555
02-03-09, 20:12
Might only be me of course.But i,m dubious about this whole caffeine thing.Since i stopped drinking alcohol 8 yrs ago i,ve drank gallons of coffee and tea daily.I dont take sugar though,maybe thats the key?

julieb
02-03-09, 20:30
ive gone caffiene free and found that helps a little and now im trying not to eat chocolate or sugary foods. it seems you stop eating one thing then something else aggravates it like spicy food lol theres no winning