PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

Perpetual
11-12-20, 19:09
It's probably not a stretch to say most, if not all, of us have a somewhat problematic relationship with sleep and as an effect not waking up feeling restored. I haven't woken up energized in at least eight years. I first thought it was because of my (then undiagnosed) sleep apnea. But this is not the case said my neurologist after doing a sleep test in the hospital when I was being treated for it. I seem to be getting adequate deep sleep and should therefor be restored in the morning.

Other medical conditions: Nothing. Did a very comprehensive blood test two weeks ago, between 30 to 40 things tested. Everything except potassium, which was a bit low, came out fine. No deficiencies in vitamins D or B12, testosterone is on the high end, etc.

Next stop, diet: I eat a very healthy, mostly fresh, plant based diet since this year June. Can't say I noticed much of any difference when it comes to sleep/energy. I stopped smoking again two months ago, caffeine long time before and also no alcohol.

Leaves us with: stress. This past night I went to bed at 23:30, but could only sleep two hours later. This happens frequently enough nowadays. I go to bed feeling reasonably well, no heart palpitations or conscious worrying. Then after a few minutes I start noticing my heartbeat, I feel it in my chest, but also in my ear. After a while the heartbeat becomes more present; I can really feel it beating and it radiates throughout my body, it's much louder in my ear. The beat is slow, unless I get panicky. It's just very annoying and it keeps me up.

I feel physically exhausted, but my mind always seems to be on alert and those two don't match. My girlfriend dozes off in the evening when she's tired, but I can't.

It's a puzzle though, there are so many things that contribute. I started on pregabalin last Saturday, which also has tiredness as an effect.

Anybody with similar experiences? Tips & tricks? What worked and what didn't?

LittleLionMan
11-12-20, 21:29
Best tip I've ever had.

When you try and sleep, don't try to sleep, just lay there, and PRETEND you are asleep. As if someone has walked in the room and you're trying to trick them. Everything down to the light snoring and everything. Put all your focus into making it believable.

I did it for two weeks straight, and now don't have to very often.

NoraB
12-12-20, 05:39
Leaves us with: stress. This past night I went to bed at 23:30, but could only sleep two hours later.

What were you doing in the hours leading up to going to bed? If it was TV, what kind of things were you watching, as in, drama, suspense etc

Were you using any kind of electronics which emit blue light? (phones, Kindles, laptops etc)

Perpetual
12-12-20, 07:32
Best tip I've ever had.

When you try and sleep, don't try to sleep, just lay there, and PRETEND you are asleep. As if someone has walked in the room and you're trying to trick them. Everything down to the light snoring and everything. Put all your focus into making it believable.

I did it for two weeks straight, and now don't have to very often.

Cheers! Never heard of this one. I tried it yesterday, but to no avail. Will continue trying it

Perpetual
12-12-20, 07:50
What were you doing in the hours leading up to going to bed? If it was TV, what kind of things were you watching, as in, drama, suspense etc

Were you using any kind of electronics which emit blue light? (phones, Kindles, laptops etc)

Thank you for replying. I try to be very vigilant of those things. It’s probably the number one thing said everywhere when it comes to sleep hygiene.

The two hours before sleep no screen light rule is difficult. I don’t own a TV, but do have a laptop/phone/iPad. I’m either working for uni, reading on the internet, watching youtube, and sometimes a movie/series. I try to stop an hour before sleeping and use ‘night mode’ in the evening.

I recently tried to create a different evening routine. I wanted to stop any work and screen at 20:00, take a walk outside, take a shower, relax and read, and then sleep. But I end up often forgetting things and needing quickly do it in the evening (essay, report, drawing, painting, etc). I have ADD, so in general a bit scattered.

I study art by the way.

LittleLionMan
12-12-20, 10:24
Cheers! Never heard of this one. I tried it yesterday, but to no avail. Will continue trying it
I woke up having a panic attack at 5am, and it still worked to put me back to sleep.

hlvd
12-12-20, 11:40
Magnesium supplements work well.

Perpetual
12-12-20, 12:54
I woke up having a panic attack at 5am, and it still worked to put me back to sleep.

Hopefully I am like that in a few weeks :))

Perpetual
12-12-20, 12:56
Magnesium supplements work well.

I drink a cup of water mixed with magnesium citrate powder, almost every day. Does another form work better perhaps?

hlvd
12-12-20, 14:45
I drink a cup of water mixed with magnesium citrate powder, almost every day. Does another form work better perhaps?

Triple Magnesium Complex,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H5MLJL2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That’s what I use, sleep really well.

I track my sleep with an Apple Watch using AutoSleep.
I know you’ve ruled out alcohol but for myself I only have to have one bottle of lager and that’s enough to ruin my deep sleep.
It happens every time, only 330ml of lager’s enough to really ruin a night’s sleep.

Perpetual
12-12-20, 21:53
Triple Magnesium Complex,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H5MLJL2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That’s what I use, sleep really well.

I track my sleep with an Apple Watch using AutoSleep.
I know you’ve ruled out alcohol but for myself I only have to have one bottle of lager and that’s enough to ruin my deep sleep.
It happens every time, only 330ml of lager’s enough to really ruin a night’s sleep.

Cheers! I will look for a similar one.

Yes, alcohol does not have a positive effect on sleep with me either..

NoraB
13-12-20, 08:10
The two hours before sleep no screen light rule is difficult. I don’t own a TV, but do have a laptop/phone/iPad. I’m either working for uni, reading on the internet, watching youtube, and sometimes a movie/series. I try to stop an hour before sleeping and use ‘night mode’ in the evening.

For me, this is your problem. Using electronics at night is buggering with your circadian rhythms and suppressing melatonin. And this affects overall health, not just your sleep.

I'm off my electronics by 6pm and if I lapse I have panic attacks and nightmares, but I have fibromyalgia which is an issue with the ANS (autonomic nervous system) - so I think I have overlaps.

I appreciate it's difficult for you in this world which no relies so much on electronics - but in all honesty, the only way back to restful sleep is to lay off the electronics several hours before sleep, and the longer the gap in-between - the better.

Perpetual
13-12-20, 14:43
For me, this is your problem. Using electronics at night is buggering with your circadian rhythms and suppressing melatonin. And this affects overall health, not just your sleep.

I'm off my electronics by 6pm and if I lapse I have panic attacks and nightmares, but I have fibromyalgia which is an issue with the ANS (automatic nervous system) - so I think I have overlaps.

I appreciate it's difficult for you in this world which no relies so much on electronics - but in all honesty, the only way back to restful sleep is to lay off the electronics several hours before sleep, and the longer the gap in-between - the better.

It's interesting how this affects some people that strongly. One would assume that if you do it correctly for a long time, that you build up some resistance (or recharge, so to speak) and lapsing would not have that big of an effect. But on the other hand, I've heard from people that follow a very strict food regime and will feel sick if they eat an 'unhealthy' meal in between. How much of that is placebo, I don't know.
My GP also suspected me to have fibromyalgia, but didn't want to send me to a rheumatologist to get it confirmed. She said the only thing it would do was add it to my medical history, since there is no treatment for it.

Being off electronics by 6pm will be virtually impossible, unless I manage to wake up very early and do my evening work in the early morning.

LittleLionMan
13-12-20, 15:57
I bragged about my sleeping too soon! Haha.

Was still awake at 6:30 this morning, wired.

I'm now reading this for tips! Ha.

Perpetual
13-12-20, 21:16
I bragged about my sleeping too soon! Haha.

Was still awake at 6:30 this morning, wired.

I'm now reading this for tips! Ha.

Aaah, that's shit! I'm sure this night will be better. :D

NoraB
14-12-20, 06:16
My GP also suspected me to have fibromyalgia, but didn't want to send me to a rheumatologist to get it confirmed. She said the only thing it would do was add it to my medical history, since there is no treatment for it.

I don't think much of your doctor then P. As I understand it, we can get Disability Allowance in this country for fibro - I haven't claimed myself because I chose to stop working 11 years ago to raise my son, and we are in a situation where I don't have to work. This condition has occurred in the meantime (9 years ago) but I do know that I presently couldn't hold down a job should I need to work and I would need my formal DX for that. My rheumatologist was great and gave me a treatment plan of which painkillers to use, diet, pacing, physio, pain clinic sessions, and with the option to go back to see him personally.

Being off electronics by 6pm will be virtually impossible

Yes, and unfortunately this is the case for a lot of people these days as it's a digital world we live in. Again, I am in a better situation where I don't have to be glued to electronics late at night, and I choose to be on here at 6am because it stirs my colon into a bowel movement. :yesyes:

glassgirlw
14-12-20, 11:16
I choose to be on here at 6am because it stirs my colon into a bowel movement. :yesyes:

It really does make for a pleasant start to the day. Glad I’m not alone. :roflmao:

Perpetual
14-12-20, 21:18
I don't think much of your doctor then P. As I understand it, we can get Disability Allowance in this country for fibro - I haven't claimed myself because I chose to stop working 11 years ago to raise my son, and we are in a situation where I don't have to work. This condition has occurred in the meantime (9 years ago) but I do know that I presently couldn't hold down a job should I need to work and I would need my formal DX for that. My rheumatologist was great and gave me a treatment plan of which painkillers to use, diet, pacing, physio, pain clinic sessions, and with the option to go back to see him personally.

That’s food for thought. I’m not sure how it is here in the NL, but we probably have something similar. Maybe something in me can’t accept I have these problems and hopes to become somebody I am (currently) not.
Thanks.

Yes, and unfortunately this is the case for a lot of people these days as it's a digital world we live in. Again, I am in a better situation where I don't have to be glued to electronics late at night, and I choose to be on here at 6am because it stirs my colon into a bowel movement. :yesyes:

Haha! Well, I’m answering you at 10pm, while on the toilet :yesyes:

NoraB
15-12-20, 06:07
Maybe something in me can’t accept I have these problems and hopes to become somebody I am (currently) not.
Thanks.

That's been a real issue with me P. Before fibro - I was a grafter and a doer. I could decorate an entire room from top to bottom in one day and still manage to do the washing, make tea etc. Now it takes me months to do what used to be done in a day because I do one wall over the course of one day (sometimes I have to leave it half-done) and then I'm in pain for days, but I refuse to stop doing it altogether. Also, I have developed chemical sensitivity with this, have you? It's very common with fibro. So using paint affects me, and especially gloss. I did relent and got a decorator in this time to do the ceilings and top half of the dado in the hall, landing and stairs and I did the rest over several months. This isn't 'me', and that's the issue because in reality - it is me, now, and for rest of my life because there isn't a cure for fibro - just periods where I feel less shit lol

Exercise helped me for sure - no doubt about that, and a large part of that was psychological and less pain due to muscle atrophy. The issue with having good phases is that the fibro flares would literally rip the rug from under my feet because I got lulled into a sense of thinking that I was somehow recovering? But I haven't been able to exercise for 3 months due to abdo pain, and I'm still waiting for them to find out what's wrong, but you literally have to be dying to be seen at the moment. Or pay to be seen privately. My muscles have atrophied again and it's winter so I can't go for walks as much as I would like to because cold and damp affects me. Even so, I advocate acceptance on here - so I need to put my money where my mouth is lol. I've only had 9 years to get used to this condition (not that I knew it was fibro until a year ago) :yesyes:

Haha! Well, I’m answering you at 10pm, while on the toilet :yesyes:

I do some of my best texting on the loo lol!

RE sleep: lately I have been conking out at 8pm - knackered - and waking up anytime from 2am. When you think of it - that's 6 hours which should be enough for a 50 year old, but my aim is to be waking up around 5am, so I stayed awake until 10pm last night (reading) and I did sleep right through until my cortisol was screaming at me at 5am this morning. I will try the same tonight and see if my brain complies lol

Perpetual
23-12-20, 21:09
That's been a real issue with me P. Before fibro - I was a grafter and a doer. I could decorate an entire room from top to bottom in one day and still manage to do the washing, make tea etc. Now it takes me months to do what used to be done in a day because I do one wall over the course of one day (sometimes I have to leave it half-done) and then I'm in pain for days, but I refuse to stop doing it altogether. Also, I have developed chemical sensitivity with this, have you? It's very common with fibro. So using paint affects me, and especially gloss. I did relent and got a decorator in this time to do the ceilings and top half of the dado in the hall, landing and stairs and I did the rest over several months. This isn't 'me', and that's the issue because in reality - it is me, now, and for rest of my life because there isn't a cure for fibro - just periods where I feel less shit lol

Exercise helped me for sure - no doubt about that, and a large part of that was psychological and less pain due to muscle atrophy. The issue with having good phases is that the fibro flares would literally rip the rug from under my feet because I got lulled into a sense of thinking that I was somehow recovering? But I haven't been able to exercise for 3 months due to abdo pain, and I'm still waiting for them to find out what's wrong, but you literally have to be dying to be seen at the moment. Or pay to be seen privately. My muscles have atrophied again and it's winter so I can't go for walks as much as I would like to because cold and damp affects me. Even so, I advocate acceptance on here - so I need to put my money where my mouth is lol. I've only had 9 years to get used to this condition (not that I knew it was fibro until a year ago) :yesyes:

I'm luckily never in a higher amount of pain for days, it's usually just the evening and the next morning. Haven't considered chemical sensibility yet, but I have always been sensitive to strong smells (especially deodorants). It sounds like a tough battle you're in, I hope you also have a lot of fun and positive things in your day to day life. To even things perhaps.

Even though my former GP gave me an 'under the table' fibromyalgia diagnosis, I myself think it is CFS/ME (can be both of course). Today I went to visit my father in the hospital, which meant that I had to ride the bike for 10 minutes, the bus for one hour, and then walk 15 minutes. I sat with him for an hour and then went back home. I feel physically exhausted. My mind is on alert, because my anxiety keeps telling me that my exhaustion is due to my heart, which isn't helpful to say the least. But when I look at what I did this evening, it's basically nothing comparing to what I used to do.. Not that I was a very active person, but I could walk all day if I wanted to. I've always had pain in my joints though, so I would take more breaks than the average person.
I digress. It's complicated, but it could be far worse. Hopefully I'll manage to pull myself out of this. :yahoo:

I do some of my best texting on the loo lol!

RE sleep: lately I have been conking out at 8pm - knackered - and waking up anytime from 2am. When you think of it - that's 6 hours which should be enough for a 50 year old, but my aim is to be waking up around 5am, so I stayed awake until 10pm last night (reading) and I did sleep right through until my cortisol was screaming at me at 5am this morning. I will try the same tonight and see if my brain complies lol

Haha, I hope your brain complied! :))
My sleep has still been unsatisfactory. Even when I sleep for 7/8 hours, I wake up feeling like a truck went over me.

NoraB
24-12-20, 11:43

I mix mine with Vimto. :yesyes: