PDA

View Full Version : panic again

jennie
05-11-03, 17:28
Hi, I'm new to this and NEVER EVER shared anything on email with people I don't know. So this is a first for me (maybe this is my first step to helping myself?).

Anyway, I suffered my first panic attack back in about 1996. I don't really know why I did but looking back I was pretty miserable and low in general and I had a very selfish boyfriend who was a bit of a bully emotionally. I also hate confrontations and therefore seem to play my cards close to my chest and bottle up feelings.

After my first attack happened I was very nervous and knew I had had my first panic attack. From there on it was a vicious circle BUT I did eventually conquer it through exercise, positive thinking, relaxation, treating myself to facials, head massage, back massage, and the anxiety eventually after about 12 months petered out and went completely. I was able to get back on the underground tube, go in lifts - you name it, I could do it!

Anyway, completely out of the blue I suffered a panic attack about 2 weeks ago whilst I was in bed trying to get to sleep. For the last 2 weeks it's been pretty awful at night time because I now associate a panic attack with bedtime. It takes me ages to get off to sleep and I lay awake, trying to breathe properly to get myself through the waves of panic that 'try' to come over me. I've kind of managed to get through the anxious feelings and have eventually fallen off to sleep. But last night I had a really bad attack of the shakes. I was quite upset that this had happened because I felt that the attack had won - when for the last week or so I'd been fighting them off. So now I'm paranoid that I'm now going to experience an even worse attack of the shakes or something even more horrible.

I haven't yet seen my doctor but feel that I should because obviously I cannot avoid going to bed each night, so I'm hoping the doc will help me. Additionally does anyone have any recommendations on how I can be peaceful just before bedtime (I've done the usual bubble baths, reading). I'm quite on edge at the moment because my sleeping pattern is really mucked up and I start getting really worried when it's time to get in to bed.

My lovely boyfriend is very supportive but he's never had an attack so it's hard for him to understand properly.

Anyway, it's a relief in itself just to tell whoever's reading this.

Love Jennie x

jennie

diana
05-11-03, 19:04
Hello Jennie,

I too like you suffer at bedtime, because that is when I had my first attack back in 1981, then again in 1989, now in 2003 they are back again. I`m not sure why they keep popping up, maybe because I have`nt dealt with the issues that started them in the first place. I need to find out what started them so I can stop them, I think! I also start feeling afraid when the sun starts to go down. Like you say we can not avaid going to bed so what are we to do? I try the warm milk, the chamomille tea etc. etc. sometimes they work sometimes they do not. You are not alone, I just wanted to let you know that there is someone else out there that suffers at bedtime too. My husband has never had an attack and really does`nt know what to think about them, ironically his sister also has them, she`s the only girl the rest of his siblings are male, I find that all so interesting too. Not to say that men do not suffer from this, I am in the process of investigating what part the hormones play in this disorder. I wish you all the luck, and keep coming back here there are lots of good posts, and good suggestions, and support.

Take care,

Love
Diana xxx :) KEEP YA CHIN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jennie
06-11-03, 10:01
Thank you for supportive words Diana.

I know it's not the answer but I was out last night and had a good few glasses of red wine. I slept like a baby but have a headache this morning.

Tonight I'm going to do a workout at the gym, take some nytol and try to stay happy and positive.

I've also started taking vitamin B complex and Evening Primrose oil.

I've also heard that doing yoga can help - so I'm going to start yoga classes this Saturday.

I do dread the evenings, but I'm really going to try and change that by enjoying my evenings or keeping myself busy by going to the gym, jogging, treating myself to a nice massage or facial.

How long do you / did you have your panic attacks for until they went. Was there anything specific that made them go or was it just time in general?

Thank you again for replying to me. Lots of luck to you to and I'll be interested to hear about any discoveries you make regarding hormones.

Take care,

Jennie x

jennie