PDA

View Full Version : Taking Diazepam

Gregor
01-11-07, 20:09
hi,

I have been precribed some diazepam for my trip overseas. I have never taken it before. Can anyone tell me what effect it will have and how long a tablet will last.

Also, i can't take tablets, so if i was to crunch it up - like into a powder - would the taste be bearable?

Thanks for your advice.

Gregor

bearcrazy
01-11-07, 20:47
diazepam just makes you feel relaxed. If you crush it up and put it in jam or something it should be ok!

nomorepanic
01-11-07, 21:12
It will relax you and calm you down. May make you drowsy.

Not sure about crushing it up - I know you shouldn't do that with some meds because of the way they are absorbed into the system.

Might be worth googling it or asking Doc or NHS direct about that.

Gregor
01-11-07, 21:40
Thanks for your replies.

I just googled it as suggested and i came up with this:

Do not crush, chew, break, or open an extended-release capsule. Swallow the pill whole. It is specially made to release medicine slowly in the body. Breaking or opening the pill would cause too much of the drug to be released at one time

As far as i can see, it's quite an important thing not to crush the tablet. That causes a problem for me now. I did ask my GP if there was a non-tablet alternative and she said no.

I also found this:

Measure the liquid form of diazepam with a special dose-measuring spoon or cup, not a regular table spoon. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one

That clearly indicates that there is a non-tablet alternative. I'm pretty angry about that, because i've told my GP many times that i can't take tablets, but she questions me about it every time.

Gregor

nomorepanic
01-11-07, 21:51
Ok well I am glad I pointed it out now as I did know that some you can't break up like that.

Could you go back and ask for the liquid form instead?

Gregor
01-11-07, 22:06
i might have to. But how do i tell my GP she was lying to me! :shrug:

nomorepanic
01-11-07, 22:09
Tell her a mate told you that they had it lol

That may work!

monicarg
01-11-07, 23:14
edited

jo61
02-11-07, 09:49
Hi Gregor, was that reference to the liquid form on a US site? Many more meds are available in the states but not here. Might be worth checking before seeing the GP. Another excellent source of information might be your pharmacist.