PDA

View Full Version : Pain for two weeks after colonoscopy

Eevie
17-12-20, 19:22
I had a colonoscopy on the 30th November just over two weeks ago and I’ve had pain on my right side ever since. It’s a dull, tense, gnawing almost muscular type pain I’m worried they’ve damaged me but I’m assuming I’d be in unbearable agony if they had. I’m in a lot of pain but it’s not unbearable.

It’s on my right side to the right of my belly button.

Hopefully it’s just bruising that’s taking a while to heal I did have some biopsies taken.

Has anyone else ever had pain that lasted this long after a colonoscopy?

jojo2316
18-12-20, 18:21
It might be bruising, it might be gas (they blow you up during the procedure) and it might be an imbalance of gut bacteria caused by the prep. I’ve had two colonoscopies and discomfort afterwards both times.
I do think if they had damaged you it would be noticed immediately. Perforation of the bowel during colonoscopy is extremely rare (something like 1 in 10,000) and immediately obvious, with bleeding etc.

NoraB
19-12-20, 06:11
I had a colonoscopy on the 30th November just over two weeks ago and I’ve had pain on my right side ever since. It’s a dull, tense, gnawing almost muscular type pain I’m worried they’ve damaged me but I’m assuming I’d be in unbearable agony if they had. I’m in a lot of pain but it’s not unbearable.

It’s on my right side to the right of my belly button.

Hopefully it’s just bruising that’s taking a while to heal I did have some biopsies taken.

Has anyone else ever had pain that lasted this long after a colonoscopy?

I think your colon is just feeling sorry for itself after being cleansed with the prep, pumped full of gas and bits taken away (biopsies) it will settle down - you just need to give it time.

Eevie
20-12-20, 02:06
It might be bruising, it might be gas (they blow you up during the procedure) and it might be an imbalance of gut bacteria caused by the prep. I’ve had two colonoscopies and discomfort afterwards both times.
I do think if they had damaged you it would be noticed immediately. Perforation of the bowel during colonoscopy is extremely rare (something like 1 in 10,000) and immediately obvious, with bleeding etc.

Thank you lovely, ye it could be all of that I just worry as it’s coming up to 3 weeks on Monday. I might get some probiotics and see if that helps at all. I’d just like to try to relax for Xmas! I was bleeding after the procedure but I had been prior too and I think I’d have continuous blood with perforation and unbearable pain. It’s just frustrating to be in pain

Eevie
20-12-20, 02:08
I think your colon is just feeling sorry for itself after being cleansed with the prep, pumped full of gas and bits taken away (biopsies) it will settle down - you just need to give it time.

Yes you’re no doubt right Nora, thank you for replying. I just worry as it’s coming up to 3 weeks on Monday since I had the colonoscopy and had hoped it’d have settled by now. I’d love to be able to relax over Xmas without the constant pain! Hopefully it passes soon :)

NoraB
20-12-20, 06:23
Yes you’re no doubt right Nora, thank you for replying. I just worry as it’s coming up to 3 weeks on Monday since I had the colonoscopy and had hoped it’d have settled by now. I’d love to be able to relax over Xmas without the constant pain! Hopefully it passes soon :)

Try a really simple diet for the next few days - soups that kind of thing. Lots of water. No irritants. That might help to settle things down?

Eevie
21-12-20, 15:06
Try a really simple diet for the next few days - soups that kind of thing. Lots of water. No irritants. That might help to settle things down?

Thank you Nora I will do! Going to try to take it easy and fingers crossed It’ll pass soon

woaidelrey
22-10-21, 18:47
Hi eevie,

I had my colonoscopy three days ago. Doc said I had a reductant (tortuous) sigmoid colon and hence was a difficult procedure. Now three days later, I have a bruising type of pain in my sigmoid colon area and cannot apply any pressure on it. How long did it take for you to recover the pain post colonoscopy?

Thank you