PDA

View Full Version : Found lump, had it checked, still anxious. Help?

Pandamia
18-12-20, 13:49
Hi guys. I REALLY need some words of logic hsre. English is a second language but I'll try my best to explain. I'm a 39 year old female, long time HA sufferer and long time lurker in the forum (many years). I might have posted once before. I was doing so much better since I became a mom three years ago, but something happened that brought the old nightmare back.
Two weeks ago I fell and broke a rib. I went to the ER and had x rays. The broken spot was in my back (11th rib). But it hurt on my chest also, even though there were no fractures or visible trauma there. But it did hurt. Anyway the next day I found a small lump on my rib, under my left breast. It was hard but mobile and it didn't hurt. Its nowhere near the fracture but the area did hurt from the fall. The lump itself didnt. I went to my doctor and she felt it. She said that I could have it for a long time or it could be from the fall. She sent me for an ultrasound. I had it done a few days ago. The radiologist said that the lump is about 8mm and doesn't have defined borders (I know this is bad). It has mixed consistency. Based on my history of trauma in the area she diagnosed it as an hematoma. I expressed my cancer fears and she said "no you don't have cancer". But on the report it says hematoma with a ?. I'm still worried. I know that it's logical that if the doctors had even the smallest doubt about it they would schedule a biopsy. I KNOW it's a very mobile little thing and that most of the time cancerous lumps are fixed. But I still can't put my mind at ease.
I guess I need more reassurance and I hate this but I also hate going to the doctors. I'm especially scared of biopsies, and I already had three of those for female health troubles plus the dreadful waiting times for results.

jojo2316
18-12-20, 17:17
Hi- not believing the doctors is the curse of health anxiety. I recently had a neck lump ultrasounded. It was found to be a lymph node “with no concerning features”. And yet- I can’t believe it’s nothing to worry about.... it’s what we do. We doubt and we seek reassurance and it becomes a viscous cycle. I totally understand what you feel and why you feel it- but have no real solutions other than just keep on keeping on. And do always vent on here when you need it- I find it helps....

Worrywart84
19-12-20, 00:04
Hopefully it makes you feel less alone to know that I am currently still struggling with believing my neck lumps that have been felt by two doctors and ultrasounded with no neoplastic characteristics still worry me daily.

I try hard not to self check because it only makes it worse. And many times I go back on here to re-read the advice given to me when I was in a panic and that helps too.

Pandamia
19-12-20, 00:07
Thanks guys. I appreciate your replies so much, as they really calm me down.