PDA

View Full Version : COVID anxiety

invisible.monster
21-12-20, 01:03
Hi everyone, just wanted to get this off my mind more than anything, really. I visited a restaurant on Saturday, and today they announced they had had a COVID positive case in the venue on Tuesday. Even though I wasn’t there on the same day, I started getting scared about the possibility that the person had infected the staff, who in turn may have infected me, or if I got the virus from touching the menu etc. I don’t know if the restaurant sanitizes the menu at all so that adds to my worry. I can’t wait until it’s 14 days from last Saturday so I can breathe a sigh of relief, hopefully I didn’t contract it at the restaurant :(

NoraB
21-12-20, 06:33
Hi everyone, just wanted to get this off my mind more than anything, really. I visited a restaurant on Saturday, and today they announced they had had a COVID positive case in the venue on Tuesday. Even though I wasn’t there on the same day, I started getting scared about the possibility that the person had infected the staff, who in turn may have infected me, or if I got the virus from touching the menu etc. I don’t know if the restaurant sanitizes the menu at all so that adds to my worry. I can’t wait until it’s 14 days from last Saturday so I can breathe a sigh of relief, hopefully I didn’t contract it at the restaurant :(

Hi IM, do you have health issues with could complicate things with COVID?

invisible.monster
21-12-20, 06:46
Hi Nora, thanks for your reply. None that I’m aware of, but I have seen stories of people my age who are otherwise healthy (I’m 28) contracting COVID and feeling the effects even long after the virus has gone, e.g. fatigue, heart palpitations, difficulty breathing etc. so I’m just a bit worried :(

NoraB
21-12-20, 07:08
Hi Nora, thanks for your reply. None that I’m aware of, but I have seen stories of people my age who are otherwise healthy (I’m 28) contracting COVID and feeling the effects even long after the virus has gone, e.g. fatigue, heart palpitations, difficulty breathing etc. so I’m just a bit worried :(

COVID is a serious beast, but the problem with reading news stories etc is that you will focus on these RARE occurrences whereas the majority of people who get COVID don't have these problems.

You don't need to know these stories. Maybe adopt a 'need to know basis' regards COVID? You just need to take the steps to protect yourself and your family - as has become second nature now. If you have picked up COVID then it's unlikely that you will be one of the ones who get these lingering symptoms, but even if this was to happen, you'll cope with it because we tend to cope far better with life's actual shit than our fearful imagination.

Try and live in the moment, and in this moment - you are ok.

NancyW
21-12-20, 12:34
you'll cope with it because we tend to cope far better with life's actual shit than our fearful imagination.

THIS ^^^^ is the BEST thing I have ever read on this message board.

I wish we could pin it front and center so we could read it every day as the ultimate reassurance.

nomorepanic
21-12-20, 12:59
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

invisible.monster
22-12-20, 05:14
COVID is a serious beast, but the problem with reading news stories etc is that you will focus on these RARE occurrences whereas the majority of people who get COVID don't have these problems.

You don't need to know these stories. Maybe adopt a 'need to know basis' regards COVID? You just need to take the steps to protect yourself and your family - as has become second nature now. If you have picked up COVID then it's unlikely that you will be one of the ones who get these lingering symptoms, but even if this was to happen, you'll cope with it because we tend to cope far better with life's actual shit than our fearful imagination.

Try and live in the moment, and in this moment - you are ok.

Thank you so much Nora, that makes sense and sounds reassuring. I guess it’s pretty unlikely for me to catch it in the first place given that I visited on a different day, and even more unlikely for it to develop into something serious/life threatening. Fingers crossed I didn’t catch it! Thanks a lot again for taking the time to reply to my post!

NoraB
22-12-20, 05:40
Thank you so much Nora, that makes sense and sounds reassuring. I guess it’s pretty unlikely for me to catch it in the first place given that I visited on a different day, and even more unlikely for it to develop into something serious/life threatening. Fingers crossed I didn’t catch it! Thanks a lot again for taking the time to reply to my post!

You're very welcome.