PDA

View Full Version : Please could someone not paranoid help me interpret this!

WorriedOlive
22-12-20, 18:55
I had a colonoscopy last Tuesday, the results were ‘normal’ - received a letter dated the day after procedure saying ‘no abnormalities were found and routine biopsies were performed’ and for me to arrange an appointment for 3 weeks time to discuss results and managing my IBS symptoms.

The consultant told me at the time there were no polyps or tumours etc and that random biopsies were to test for bacteria etc. He told me there is absolutely nothing to worry about, in fact he said 100%, but I’m very paranoid so have been fretting about the biopsies.

I only received the letter yesterday so was planning to phone the secretary this week to arrange the follow up however this evening I have received an email from the secretary saying this:

Dear xxx

Following your procedure, Dr xxx suggested a follow up early January to discuss the biopsy results.

As xmas break is coming up, if you would like to arrange an appointment now, I can do that for you.

Current availability is:

Wed 6 Jan
15.00-17.00 Telephone

Monday 11th Jan
9.30; 10.30 & 11.30 Telephone

Tues 12th Jan
15.00-16.30 Telephone or Zoom

Wed 13th Jan
09.30-11.30

There are clinics later in January if required.

Does this say to you that they’ve received the biopsy results and they now need to see me??? Or is this just the follow up he was talking about!? My paranoid brain is causing havoc.

Can you have colon cancer with no polyps or masses and a completely healthy looking colon??

Worrywart84
22-12-20, 19:33
I read that as the aforementioned routine follow up appointment that was mentioned already, not as a new urgent appointment specifically because of something in the biopsy.

Colonoscopy is the gold standard for detecting colon cancer and if yours was normal and not even a polyp was found, it sounds like you are a-okay.

glassgirlw
22-12-20, 20:16
Those dates they gave you are about three weeks from the date of your procedure - so it sounds to me that they’re just following through on the original plan - “appointment in 3 weeks time to discuss your results and managing your IBS symptoms”. I think it’s just a follow up. Try to relax and enjoy your holiday!

pulisa
22-12-20, 21:04
3 weeks means 3 weeks in the private sector.

"There are clinics later in January" indicates non-urgency.

It's a routine appointment to discuss your IBS symptoms. Nothing is going to be sprung on you.

You've had the all clear and that's excellent news. Now you've got to believe it.

Redsmum
22-12-20, 21:10
Yes they’re not saying come in urgently & we’ll see you day after Boxing Day. Its just a standard letter setting out what appointments are available & you choose whats best for you.

Redsmum
22-12-20, 21:19
Oops sorry i didn’t read your heading, unfortunately i am paranoid!!

Aussie11
23-12-20, 00:14
I definitely read this as non urgent - I can understand that you are on edge until you hear the words from doctor, but I'm sure they would come across a lot more urgent if anything sinister is found. If anything at all has come up on the biopsies it would only be something minor (ie. not cancer!) - in fact they'd probably phone you and not even put it in letter if there was anything desperate!

NoraB
23-12-20, 05:16
I've read this as the consultant told you three weeks at the time and this is three weeks after the bum-cam.

Your consultant will have seen more colons than you've had hot dinners and if he was 100% convinced there is nothing sinister, then I'd stop worrying about cancer.

These letters are worded without understanding that the recipient might have a raging case of HA and anything that could be misinterpreted - will be.

I've had so many follow-up appointments and I always felt that there must have been something wrong for them to do this, but aside one repeat scan with my cervical spine - it's always been the case that I hyperventilate my way in there, and they're, 'Yeah, tests were clear Mrs B. Go enjoy your life' and I'm torn between wanting to kiss them and punching them hard on the face because, yes, my tests were clear but I was still feeling like a bag of shite, and when you've felt shite for so long, you reach a point where you'd welcome a diagnosis just so you can be treated!

Anyway, point is - this is how it goes, so try not to allow your imagination to run riot. Don't let this ruin your Christmas (anymore than it has been already) focus on the important thing - which is your NORMAL colonoscopy. :yesyes: