PDA

View Full Version : help anybody??

bethyboo
05-02-05, 21:13
hello everyone, my name is beth and im 27,single with 2 kiddiwinks.

i have suffered from sever anxiety,panic attacs and mild ocd for years and have never worked until 9 months ago. i have been on seroxat and efexor over the last few years both times helping me loads.last january i decided enough was enough and came off medication altogether,it has been a bit of a long haul but i really thought i had conquered my disorders and was no longer a loony bird(tis what my freinds call me in a nice way!). i started doing voluntary work at a school for kids with learning difficulties which i love and three months ago started working there as an lsa 3 days a week. my first ever job!!! but after a stressful xmas and the last remaining member of my family moving away to wales to be with my mum who also did a runner form sunny broadstairs i started getting anxiety again. i have had 2 panic attacs at work and now wake up with anxiety everyday, its stating to get to the unreality point again which having 2 kids is starting to scare the pants out of me. im lucky as ive got lots of lovely mates who are used to me but i feel like i am torn.part of me wants to just accept whats happening again and go back for medication, but the other half feels like ive come so far and for the first tiem in years i have been confident enough to do something i never thought i could. i dont want to go back to being on happy pills but i dread going back to work and the more i dread it the more i make myself ill. help somone, is there anythign natural i can take or maybe just some advice or even a freindly ear??????? anyone is free to email me.bethysalisbury@hotmail.com xx

beth salisbury

jude
05-02-05, 21:38
Hi Beth,

First of all, well done for conquering it so far.

I know exactly how you feel. I have four children and get the unreality thing. It completely terrifies me too. Its very hard to cope with when you have children demanding all of your energy and time.
I posted a topic only yesterday about finding it so hard to deal with these awful feelings. Take comfort in the fact that they went away before and will again.
Welcome to the site. We are all here to help you.
Take care
Jude x

lindylou
05-02-05, 21:58
Hi Beth

Hang in there, I've been a sole parent myself for most of the time. My kids are now 15 and 20 and Ive always worked to try and support us the best way I could. Its certainly been hard at times, but sometimes I think work kept me sane. Ive suffered anxiety throughout the years and Ive had too drag myself to work feeling lousy many a times. Even recently I started a new job in completely different field and it really threw me, I started having panic attacks at night, but they're easing, As for my kids, my youngest has always given me some kind of stress, which Ive found hard to manage, but guess what they both left home a few days ago and have gone to live with their father, who is 1800kms from me, so im hoping I get settled and my IBS improves, basically I couldnt do it anymore, i'm worn out, but I'm trying to be positive about it all and I cant wait for a brighter/rosier future I hope. All the best and keep working it certainly kept my feet on the ground.

Cheers Linda [:P]

Karen
05-02-05, 22:09
Hi Beth

Welcome to the site. You have done well in getting so far with this yourself and I am sure you can get over this latest blip.

You'll get some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

ruth
05-02-05, 22:17
Hi Beth

Welcome to the site!! You indeed seem to have had several major stress factors recently, which has probably triggered your anxiety and panic attacks, but you sound very positive and determined, so yes hang on in there.

As far as meds go I like you have taken seroxat (have just started again this week!!) and yes I sympathise it feels yuk to syart with, but I know it works for me, dont suffer in silence there is lots of help and support here, If you do feel bad then consider your meds again, they helped before and they will this time.

Let us know how you are going

Take care

Love Ruth

Meg
05-02-05, 22:34
Hi Beth,

The key is that you know what caused this blip so you know this is stress related and nothing to do with being looney...

Its now your choice - take the meds and give yourself a break to cool off from the stress or really comgratulate yourself for all your achievements and decide you can manage to overcome this blip without meds. Just using a herbal or two and some help from us or maybe see a counsellor.

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

seh1980
06-02-05, 00:28
hi Beth,

I think that you have done really well so far!! It sounds like you have a lot of spirit and are a fighter. This site is great as everyone is really nice and everyone is in the same boat. My contact details are under my profile so feel free to contact me anytime if you need a chat.

Sarah :D

trac67
06-02-05, 04:34
Hi Beth,
Dont feel like you have failed if you need to restart your meds again, if you had a headache you would take a paracetamol to get rid of it, so just think of it like that. I managed to get down to 10mg a day on my meds but things became really stressfull and my anxiety flared up again, so my doctor suggested putting my meds back up to 20mg, which i have done and now feel a lot better. Meds are there to help you get through the tough times and if they do help, just think to yourself its not forever just until i get over this hiccup in my life.
Take care
Trace:D

JPF
06-02-05, 10:27
Hi Beth

Welcome to the forum! It's a great place for some practical information, support and above all understanding. Everyone here knows what this condition is like and you are not alone in the feelings that you have. When I first came here recently, I was convinced I was the only person in the world having these weird feelings. I too have had the unreality feelings which scared me almost as much as the full-blown panic attacks I had. By coming here I realised that it was caused by my condition - it's called depersonalisation - and though it can be different for all of us, it's broadly the same in its effects and feelings. Don't worry, you're not a 'loony bird' at all, it's just your limbic system giving you a hard time!

You've definitely come a long way and are doing really well. If you need medication then you need medication and don't beat yourself up about it but there are a few other things to try which are listed on the link Meg posted (First Steps) which are really helpful. For me, I cut down (not quite out) on caffeine and that's helped me and I also take Bach's Rescue Remedy and some of the other range of remedies they do. I've also tried to use positive thinking or I simply try to stop the thoughts/feelings which scare me which starts up the vicious circle of panic over and over again. A little trick is to find two points in the middle distance, fairly close together and flick your vision between the two quite rapidly for about 15-30 seconds. For some reason (it's not totally understood how) this tends to stop the brain sending out all kinds of panic signals. It's a useful little tip and one that's quite easy to do in company because no-one really notices if you look down at your feet for a little while.

It's good that you've got understanding friends, that helps a lot and don't forget that this place is filled with great people, many of whom have felt the same way as you and understand what you're going through. You can find out a lot of information here and get good advice as well as good old-fashioned sympathy - which is often half the medicine/battle in my experience :)

There's also a chat facility here and a lot of people are on Messenger and stuff like that.

Good luck and good health and I'm sure you'll soon be well on the road to feeling much better!

J

nomorepanic
06-02-05, 21:16
Hi Beth

Just wanted to welcome you aboard and hope we can be of some help.

Nicola