PDA

View Full Version : Help for Christmas and health anxiety

carriewriting
23-12-20, 03:54
My health anxiety isn't great today. I'm not surprised because I know Christmas is a big trigger time for me (and lots of others here too I know), but I've still been off guard at how strong the anxiety has been.

This morning I caught a glimpse of the keyhole scar from my gallbladder op I had 9 years ago. It's about two fingers width under my sternum. Suddenly it seems to be sticking out. I've felt around and there doesn't seem to be a lump but it kinda looks like there is from side on. Of course all the poking and prodding has made the area sore which causes me more anxiety. Despite no evidence of a lump, a feeling of doom has been hanging over my head like a dark cloud all day.

To try and get on top of these feelings I've been using my CBT worksheets. If anyone wants to try them they're free. Just Google (the one time you're allowed to) "WA health anxiety worksheets"

In the meantime I'm off to scrub my house from top to bottom because it's either that or sit here wallowing in my imaginary demise or feeling depressed about my HA getting a hold of me again.

NoraB
23-12-20, 07:42
In the meantime I'm off to scrub my house from top to bottom because it's either that or sit here wallowing in my imaginary demise or feeling depressed about my HA getting a hold of me again.

Cleaning is therapeutic. I imagine my concerns being rinsed or scrubbed away, and also Tom Hardy (minus his clothes) doing the high-level cleaning. :dribble:

carriewriting
23-12-20, 07:54
:roflmao:That's just made my cleaning a lot more enjoyable Nora

NoraB
23-12-20, 08:10
:roflmao:That's just made my cleaning a lot more enjoyable Nora

:yesyes:

pulisa
23-12-20, 08:14
I think Tom Hardy has played a very large part in Nora's successful battle with HA...but I say whatever helps and works, keep doing it..Hence Nora's no doubt spotless house!:D

Carrie, Christmas is an absolute b*gger for triggering HA. I'd say keep as busy as you can and don't scrutinise any body part for abnormalities/lesions even though the urge to check is massive. If you give in there will be guaranteed doubt, fear and misery..all misplaced.

NoraB
23-12-20, 08:33
I think Tom Hardy has played a very large part in Nora's successful battle with HA.

You saucy minx! :yesyes:

Cece6
23-12-20, 08:52
Carriewriting I just started a thread similar. I am feeling it big time this year. You know you shouldn’t let it eat you up and just enjoy some time to relax (what even is that) but that seems so difficult.

To be honest I don’t know what I’m even ‘prepping’ for - like it would make a difference!

I wish a bit of content for you and everyone who is struggling with this. Try not to check, or give yourself the daily limit to check, as in “only
allow 2 mins at 10am” until the urge to check lessens. I’m sure you know all about that though.

carriewriting
23-12-20, 09:21
Thanks Cece6. I hope your anxiety eases up too. I try not to check things, but because I'm hypervigilant I notice every little change in my body and then my mind goes from zero to catastrophe in an instant. It's hard to pull myself back from that, but I'm learning how to do it little by little.

Today I have been on my feet from 7am to 7pm doing Christmas prep. I'm exhausted, and yet my mind is still at it trying to find something health related to ruin my Christmas. It really is like being at war with myself. I tell you what though, I'm going to win :)