PDA

View Full Version : Future of testing

phil06
23-12-20, 11:08
I see Tony Blair said most countries will require your virus status within six months for entry. We spoke about vaccine passports however from what I gather a negative covid result may be an alternative to a vaccine. So since I’m not keen on the vaccine how close are we to saliva testing or something like that rather than a swab? I would be happy to do the test that goes under your tongue to go abroad. I guess you could carry these tests with you I mean I often take the train to other countries so perhaps it would require daily testing? Any thoughts on how testing may work?

glassgirlw
23-12-20, 15:33
We’re saliva testing in the US now. My parents just did one on Monday. Still takes up to 48 hrs for results though so it’s not super quick yet.

Lencoboy
23-12-20, 17:50
I see Tony Blair said most countries will require your virus status within six months for entry. We spoke about vaccine passports however from what I gather a negative covid result may be an alternative to a vaccine. So since I’m not keen on the vaccine how close are we to saliva testing or something like that rather than a swab? I would be happy to do the test that goes under your tongue to go abroad. I guess you could carry these tests with you I mean I often take the train to other countries so perhaps it would require daily testing? Any thoughts on how testing may work?

I don't mean to sound cynical, but does Blair still have any authority over all of this, especially considering he ceased to be PM in June 2007, and (New) Labour as a whole given the heave-ho three years later?

pulisa
23-12-20, 18:02
We can't tell you when you are next going to be able to have a holiday, Phil. It's always going to be the same answer until there is definite news about a valid saliva test which the countries you want to visit will accept.

phil06
23-12-20, 21:28
We’re saliva testing in the US now. My parents just did one on Monday. Still takes up to 48 hrs for results though so it’s not super quick yet.

The one in the UK says results in 15 mins goes under the tongue. How was the one your parents done was it like a spit test or was it a different method?

phil06
23-12-20, 21:30
We can't tell you when you are next going to be able to have a holiday, Phil. It's always going to be the same answer until there is definite news about a valid saliva test which the countries you want to visit will accept.

Well like some people are say allergic to the vaccine so I wonder if they will offer testing on place of a vaccine perhaps? I think it would make sense to have an alternative I read France will require a vaccine for transport or a negative test so if you say don’t have the vaccine perhaps regular testing will be an opinion? Or perhaps the vaccine will come as a tablet in 2021 and make it a lot easier. And yes nobody knows I hate how uncertain things are

phil06
23-12-20, 21:31
I don't mean to sound cynical, but does Blair still have any authority over all of this, especially considering he ceased to be PM in June 2007, and (New) Labour as a whole given the heave-ho three years later?

I think he was a better PM than many who have gone after him to be honest. He mentioned using half a dose of the vaccine as it’s still over 90% effective but could go further for more people I think he has a point?

glassgirlw
23-12-20, 21:32
The one in the UK says results in 15 mins goes under the tongue. How was the one your parents done was it like a spit test or was it a different method?

The only ones I’m aware of that are being widely used right now are test tubes that you spit into.

I did see the FDA Approved the home test strip kit things and are expected to start distributing in the next few months. Cost may be prohibitive for some as it is reported to be $50-$60 per test kit, and unknown yet if insurance will pay for any of it.

phil06
23-12-20, 22:44
The only ones I’m aware of that are being widely used right now are test tubes that you spit into.

I did see the FDA Approved the home test strip kit things and are expected to start distributing in the next few months. Cost may be prohibitive for some as it is reported to be $50-$60 per test kit, and unknown yet if insurance will pay for any of it.

Cool perhaps in the UK they will be on the high street in places like boots. I know someone who got a swab test today and found it pretty repulsive so I think these tests will make a massive difference.

glassgirlw
23-12-20, 22:57
Cool perhaps in the UK they will be on the high street in places like boots. I know someone who got a swab test today and found it pretty repulsive so I think these tests will make a massive difference.

I had three swab tests last Friday lol. They’re really not as bad as they’ve been made out to be. A little minor discomfort but was over very quickly.

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-20, 00:01

Be sticks his nose into everything. He has his institution now so is free to justify meddling. But he tends to put people off and taints any cause he touches.

So he's just one of many commentators they media turn to for opinion.

NoraB
24-12-20, 07:54

Does he still have great hair and do weird things with his hands? :huh:

I prefer Sir Keir Starmer myself. Labour leader by day - Foxman by night. :yesyes:

Lencoboy
24-12-20, 08:59
Does he still have great hair and do weird things with his hands? :huh:

I prefer Sir Keir Starmer myself. Labour leader by day - Foxman by night. :yesyes:

Well (dare I say it), Blair certainly looks like he's ageing a bit now.

I agree with you about Keir, but sadly many are already putting the boot into him, and for the wrong reasons IMO.

And if I know Boris, he'll probably bounce back again once this pandemic starts to ease, and the media start harping on about further 'scandals' within the Labour party, real or fictitious!

Lencoboy
24-12-20, 09:06
Be sticks his nose into everything. He has his institution now so is free to justify meddling. But he tends to put people off and taints any cause he touches.

So he's just one of many commentators they media turn to for opinion.

Obviously a 'has been', who was a product of his time!

But what about Brown, Cameron and May, all of whom are also 'has beens'?

Ditto all the PMs who came before Blair (Major, Thatcher, etc).

NoraB
24-12-20, 11:26

I agree with you about Keir, but sadly many are already putting the boot into him, and for the wrong reasons IMO.

That's politics for ya.

And if I know Boris, he'll probably bounce back again once this pandemic starts to ease

With a name like Alexander Boris de Pfeffel I reckon he'll be OK lol. :yesyes:

Pamplemousse
24-12-20, 12:20

Blair was beginning to look old by the time he came to the end of his tenure in 2008.

Pamplemousse
24-12-20, 12:22

I absolutely refuse to dignify that privileged git with his preferred moniker. Like I refused to dignify Corbyn with the gushing "Jeremy" his acolytes used.

If you want to see the real Johnson, he's exposed here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTAClNQUUeE

Lencoboy
24-12-20, 13:15
That's politics for ya.

What really gets me is that Labour have been shunned and booted out of power for far lesser things over the years, and still continue to get it in the neck over things like Iraq and the Global Financial Crisis today, but those on the right have also been involved in scandal after scandal and then bounced back again more or less straight away.

Ironically, the Tories under the watch of Major partly presided over the first Iraq war in early 1991 and at the same time also presided over the 1990-93 recession, but still managed to bounce back in the 1992 GE despite us being at the height of said recession at that time, and unlike the second Iraq war under the watch of Blair and Co, which in its run-up saw protests almost bordering on the 1990 Poll Tax riots, there were hardly any significant anti-war protests (IIRC) during the run up to the 1991 conflict.

Really baffling.

Lencoboy
24-12-20, 16:28
I absolutely refuse to dignify that privileged git with his preferred moniker. Like I refused to dignify Corbyn with the gushing "Jeremy" his acolytes used.

If you want to see the real Johnson, he's exposed here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTAClNQUUeE

Just out of interest (if you don't mind me asking, of course), what's your opinion of Keir compared to both Boris and Corbyn?

Especially as you also admitted to disliking Blair a while back.

spectrum123
24-12-20, 17:02
Testing has a low reliability rate compared to some of the proposed vaccines. Expect to see testing to start to scale back once the vaccine programmes are in full flow. Once that happens a COVID test will not be acceptable for travel permission.
Some of the Asian, African & South and Central American destinations are already drawing up additions to their existing medical requirements (yellow fever for example), that will require COVID vaccine on the list. Some of these countries have had a relatively low problem with COVID, and they are trying to keep it that way, considering some tests are as low as 50% accuracy, they won't accept that level of risk.
I wouldn't be surprised if the EU eventually requires the same along with US.

Pamplemousse
24-12-20, 18:18
Just out of interest (if you don't mind me asking, of course), what's your opinion of Keir compared to both Boris and Corbyn?

Especially as you also admitted to disliking Blair a while back.

He's preferable to either of them; Blair was just an ersatz Tory in a smart suit, Corbyn sadly was a nobody who's achieved nothing in his entire political career - never sat on a committee, never put any papers forward and had politics at a level best suited to sixth-form debating society which might explain his youth appeal. That said, I liked some of his policies; but sadly, the 1970s have gone, never to return and he never seemed to realise that no matter how much the Three Quid Trots feted him. And let's be honest, the sort of people who lauded Corbyn were actually very comfortably-off people who'd have been shielded by the economic disaster he'd have brought.

Johnson is beneath contempt is all I'll say. He should never have been allowed to enter politics, never mind the highest office in the country. Nye Bevan was right.

Starmer, by comparison, is really boring; but right now we don't need 'characters' - you only have to look at the damage caused by Trump, Farage and Johnson to see what these types of people can do. What we need is a staid, boring and sensible person who can look at facts in the cold light of day and not play to the gallery. The fact that Starmer takes Johnson to pieces every week at PMQs says a lot - all Johnson is left with is name calling, playing to the gallery and bluster.

I know people will say "but Starmer's not working class" - well, actually he's a lot more 'working class' than Blair or Corbyn ever were! He is what old-fashioned people like me call "a working class boy made good", which is what older working class folk always wanted their kids to do, rather than this modern idea that you stay in your social groove and never climb out of it lest you be branded a 'traitor'.

Sorry, got very political there - my apologies!!

pulisa
24-12-20, 18:19
That's politics for ya.

Boris de Piffle...That has a good ring to it! That poor man has been through such a lot this year whatever you think of him as a person or whatever your political persuasion. Who would want to be PM at this precise moment in time..

Lencoboy
24-12-20, 18:51
He's preferable to either of them; Blair was just an ersatz Tory in a smart suit, Corbyn sadly was a nobody who's achieved nothing in his entire political career - never sat on a committee, never put any papers forward and had politics at a level best suited to sixth-form debating society which might explain his youth appeal. That said, I liked some of his policies; but sadly, the 1970s have gone, never to return and he never seemed to realise that no matter how much the Three Quid Trots feted him. And let's be honest, the sort of people who lauded Corbyn were actually very comfortably-off people who'd have been shielded by the economic disaster he'd have brought.

Johnson is beneath contempt is all I'll say. He should never have been allowed to enter politics, never mind the highest office in the country. Nye Bevan was right.

Starmer, by comparison, is really boring; but right now we don't need 'characters' - you only have to look at the damage caused by Trump, Farage and Johnson to see what these types of people can do. What we need is a staid, boring and sensible person who can look at facts in the cold light of day and not play to the gallery. The fact that Starmer takes Johnson to pieces every week at PMQs says a lot - all Johnson is left with is name calling, playing to the gallery and bluster.

I know people will say "but Starmer's not working class" - well, actually he's a lot more 'working class' than Blair or Corbyn ever were! He is what old-fashioned people like me call "a working class boy made good", which is what older working class folk always wanted their kids to do, rather than this modern idea that you stay in your social groove and never climb out of it lest you be branded a 'traitor'.

Sorry, got very political there - my apologies!!

Well that's a welcome relief as I was half expecting you to think he's as bad as nearly all the others, but what a nice surprise, eh!

And yes, you're correct in the sense that the 70s are long gone and the politics of that era in the ideals of the Corbynites would probably be unworkable today, plus he would no doubt be crucified even more than Boris and Co over his perceived handling of the Covid pandemic and there would no doubt have been BS fairy tales circulating in the press and on social media about him being in secret cahoots with China and/or Russia and talk of germ warfare, etc, especially with all the endless speculation about him siding with communists, anti-Semites, and terrorists in general. I'm sure I read somebody somewhere even tried to shoehorn historical child abuse into his list of alleged past scandals, but that could have very likely been fake news, as per usual these days!

So all in all it's probably just as well he called it quits when he did, otherwise Boris would still no doubt be considered the lesser of the two evils.

Pamplemousse
24-12-20, 19:09
Boris de Piffle...That has a good ring to it! That poor man has been through such a lot this year whatever you think of him as a person or whatever your political persuasion. Who would want to be PM at this precise moment in time..

Thing is Pulisa, in his case it's all self-inflicted - the shaking hands with Covid victims, the horribly tangled domestic life he has caused by his serial philandering - I actually feel a little sorry for Carrie Symonds because she must know their relationship will last only until the next woman catches his eye. Let's not forget he dumped his last wife - who at the time was undergoing cancer treatment - to be with her.

I do try to see good in people, I really do - but in him, there is none.

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-20, 19:48
Well that's a welcome relief as I was half expecting you to think he's as bad as nearly all the others, but what a nice surprise, eh!

And yes, you're correct in the sense that the 70s are long gone and the politics of that era in the ideals of the Corbynites would probably be unworkable today, plus he would no doubt be crucified even more than Boris and Co over his perceived handling of the Covid pandemic and there would no doubt have been BS fairy tales circulating in the press and on social media about him being in secret cahoots with China and/or Russia and talk of germ warfare, etc, especially with all the endless speculation about him siding with communists, anti-Semites, and terrorists in general. I'm sure I read somebody somewhere even tried to shoehorn historical child abuse into his list of alleged past scandals, but that could have very likely been fake news, as per usual these days!

So all in all it's probably just as well he called it quits when he did, otherwise Boris would still no doubt be considered the lesser of the two evils.

Starmer ordered a review into the mishandling of the grooming gangs but the work to bring this into the light came not from his office. If they hadn't fought for justice the police and CPS may have continued to look the other way.

Public opinion forced them to take action.

So it's not a case of just him but many people. The point is, just as he is trying now, he does what all politicians do and try to distance themselves from their past failures.

Do any of them not have scandals and errors behind them? I doubt it. So it's always about weighing it up and not a binary good vs evil case that many on either ends of the spectrum like to make out.

phil06
24-12-20, 22:54
Testing has a low reliability rate compared to some of the proposed vaccines. Expect to see testing to start to scale back once the vaccine programmes are in full flow. Once that happens a COVID test will not be acceptable for travel permission.
Some of the Asian, African & South and Central American destinations are already drawing up additions to their existing medical requirements (yellow fever for example), that will require COVID vaccine on the list. Some of these countries have had a relatively low problem with COVID, and they are trying to keep it that way, considering some tests are as low as 50% accuracy, they won't accept that level of risk.
I wouldn't be surprised if the EU eventually requires the same along with US.

There is no proof testing will be scaled back and some people can’t take this vaccine so should surely be testing in place of a vaccine.

spectrum123
24-12-20, 23:07
There is no proof testing will be scaled back and some people can’t take this vaccine so should surely be testing in place of a vaccine.

Testing is just not reliable enough. If the vaccine(s) can reach 90-95% other countries will rely on that rather than an unreliable test. There will be a small percentage that can't take the vaccine, another country will probably refuse those that can't to protect their own who can't. Refusing those that can't will have little economic impact.

phil06
24-12-20, 23:30
Testing is just not reliable enough. If the vaccine(s) can reach 90-95% other countries will rely on that rather than an unreliable test. There will be a small percentage that can't take the vaccine, another country will probably refuse those that can't to protect their own who can't. Refusing those that can't will have little economic impact.

The current lab test is accurate and the saliva ones are good it’s the lateral flow tests which are not as good. And even then France still letting the trucks through with it.

phil06
24-12-20, 23:31

Why should someone with allergies be banned from going abroad? That’s health discrimination

spectrum123
25-12-20, 01:04
Why should someone with allergies be banned from going abroad? That’s health discrimination

Take that up with countries that already require certain inoculations/vaccinations for you to visit them, I'm sure there are people who are allergic to them. There is no such thing as health discrimination, there are disability discrimination laws but they vary and can be thin on the ground outside the EU. Ultimately it will be get vacinated or don't visit to a lot of countries outside the EU.

NoraB
25-12-20, 06:24

I absolutely agree P.

I'm Labour - always have been - (except for a wobble with Corbyn - who I couldn't stand) but Boris has been hit with the greatest challenge since the second world war, and that's some shit to be dealing with. Like you say, who would want his job at the moment?

pulisa
25-12-20, 08:42
I absolutely agree P.

I'm Labour - always have been - (except for a wobble with Corbyn - who I couldn't stand) but Boris has been hit with the greatest challenge since the second world war, and that's some shit to be dealing with. Like you say, who would want his job at the moment?

I can think of one person who may be available as from January 22nd...

NoraB
27-12-20, 08:24

That's literally the stuff of nightmares...:scared15:

pulisa
27-12-20, 08:27
Or even a touch of the DTs...

phil06
27-12-20, 09:01
Seems the government is considering Tony Blair’s idea of one dose of the jab https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9089575/Britain-free-lockdowns-February-Oxfords-Covid-vaccine.html

Very interesting development

NoraB
27-12-20, 09:26
Or even a touch of the DTs...

I've had some trippy moments when on the codeine - and this would be one of those moments. :scared15:

Then again, it took me a while to understand that Boris as PM wasn't a piss-take. :ohmy:

Pamplemousse
27-12-20, 12:57

You're going to have to enlighten this old fool...

pulisa
27-12-20, 14:31
You're going to have to enlighten this old fool...

Currently residing at The White House but will shortly be looking for new challenges..

Pamplemousse
27-12-20, 14:35
Currently residing at The White House but will shortly be looking for new challenges..

:doh:

:scared15:

:scared10:

pulisa
27-12-20, 14:46
Boris ain't so bad really...:D

Pamplemousse
27-12-20, 15:38
Boris ain't so bad really...:D

Excuse me whilst I go and strike my head with hammers.

Lencoboy
27-12-20, 15:59
Excuse me whilst I go and strike my head with hammers.

Surely Pulisa is only kidding?

pulisa
27-12-20, 17:51

As the great Arnie once said..."Just a little harmless fun"

fishman65
27-12-20, 20:53
As the great Arnie once said..."Just a little harmless fun"He also said 'Get to da chapper!!' :D

phil06
27-12-20, 21:08
Any thoughts on the vaccine only requiring one dose?

fishman65
27-12-20, 22:49
Any thoughts on the vaccine only requiring one dose?zzzz zzzz zzzz

pulisa
28-12-20, 08:10
Any thoughts on the vaccine only requiring one dose?

We're all waiting for that singular vaccine.

NoraB
29-12-20, 09:09
He also said 'Get to da chapper!!' :D

Tickled me did this. :roflmao:

NoraB
29-12-20, 09:11

Except for that I 'heart' Boris badge she wears on her coat. :winks:

pulisa
29-12-20, 14:19
I've actually met Boris and have a personally signed copy of his Winston Churchill oeuvre..

If you'd like to digest its contents, PM, I'd happily lend it to you...

fishman65
29-12-20, 15:11
I've actually met Boris and have a personally signed copy of his Winston Churchill oeuvre..

If you'd like to digest its contents, PM, I'd happily lend it to you...Pulisa is kind of um...privy to info that most are not :winks:

fishman65
29-12-20, 15:15
Tickled me did this. :roflmao:The first 'Predator' is the best Nora IMO. At the film's climax after Arnie covers himself in mud, you start wondering who's the scariest, him or the Predator.

pulisa
29-12-20, 17:57
Pulisa is kind of um...privy to info that most are not :winks:

That reference to Boris' magnum opus is certainly not a euphemism and I'd like to categorically deny harbouring any progeny from said meeting..:winks:

fishman65
29-12-20, 20:05
That reference to Boris' magnum opus is certainly not a euphemism and I'd like to categorically deny harbouring any progeny from said meeting..:winks:I'm not keen on the Magnum Opus Pulisa, I prefer the double caramel :D

pulisa
29-12-20, 20:36
And there's me thinking you were on a health kick, Fishman...

MyNameIsTerry
29-12-20, 22:51
He also said 'Get to da chapper!!' :D

https://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/alien/h0106.gif:biggrin:

You could also use that one for Roy Schneider. Blue Streak?

MyNameIsTerry
29-12-20, 22:52
Except for that I 'heart' Boris badge she wears on her coat. :winks:

I've got him on my underwear.

(That's also not a euphemism. Definitely!)