PDA

View Full Version : Sleep: HA in the middle of the night

NancyW
29-12-20, 01:51
I fall asleep great, wake up around 3 and it's on.. can't shut my mind off, every awful thought pops in my head. Before I know it 2 or 3 hours have passed. Im on day 3 in a row of terrible sleep because of this. The lack of sleep makes my HA and general anxiety during the day worse. It's a vicious cycle.

Anyone have any tried and true ways to shut your mind off and go back to sleep?

NotDeadYet
29-12-20, 02:58
NancyW

Meditation really helps me. It's great for in the moment but I've found that I can't just turn on my mindfulness practice in the middle of the night. It requires daily practice in the daytime in order to get into a healthy rhythm where I can see the benefits at night.

Best Wishes

glassgirlw
29-12-20, 03:29
Hi Nancy. It’s probably not the best method fora good sleep cycle but I keep my iPad on my bedside table. When I wake in the night (which is often) I will read my ebooks on my iPad which usually knocks me back out again lol.

NancyW
29-12-20, 04:33
Thank you for the suggestions, it's 11:28 pm I'm laying in bed with full blown anxiety because this is where I toss and turn all night with horrid thoughts.

I've tried meditation in the past, I feel like because of the intrusive thoughts I can't get to where I need to be to calm down. I will try again.

I do have my phone and will read or listen to videos. Soon as I stop I'm flooded with awful thoughts. Tonight it seems like I'm not going to be able to fall sleep either.

NoraB
29-12-20, 08:14
I fall asleep great, wake up around 3 and it's on.. can't shut my mind off, every awful thought pops in my head. Before I know it 2 or 3 hours have passed. Im on day 3 in a row of terrible sleep because of this. The lack of sleep makes my HA and general anxiety during the day worse. It's a vicious cycle.

Anyone have any tried and true ways to shut your mind off and go back to sleep?

Try listening to a relaxing podcast when you wake up. Or sleep stories. Nothing heavy - just a relaxing voice which will calm your mind. If you feel 'wired' I think it's best to get up and move about to diffuse some of that adrenalin. I've had many a cleaning session at 3am! Once you feel calmer, you can try to go to sleep again. Most of all, don't fear this as fear will keep the cycle going..

Scass
29-12-20, 08:28
Hi Nancy,
I often put on a podcast, there’s a good one at the moment called Calm
Christmas which sends me back off in moments.

When I’m suffering badly like you are now, I tend to just stop trying to fall asleep. As soon as I accept it won’t happen, I tend to drift off.
I also play things like candy crush, which focus the mind and stop me from spiralling too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NancyW
29-12-20, 16:39
I will try Calm, see if that helps.
2 nights ago I fought the urge to cut up veggies for the beef stew I was putting in the crockpot in the morning. The only reason I didn't was I didn't want to wake my husband.

Scass
29-12-20, 16:50
Does your husband suffer too? If he’s anything like mine he’d be back to sleep so quickly you’d want to kick him! Do whatever you think will help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NancyW
30-12-20, 03:53
He does have issues sleeping on occasion but he'll take melatonin and it helps him, it does nothing for me. :-(