PDA

View Full Version : Covid Exposure

Squishchips
29-12-20, 12:27
Hi All,

My husband and I have been so careful this year - barely left the house (all shopping online etc). On Xmas Day we went to my inlaws for 10/15 minutes, stood 20ft away (at least), no masks but were outside the entire time.

My inlaws have just been tested positive for Covid. I'm now convinced we've caught it. Husband went for a test because I got myself in such a panic and I've then paid for two private tests to arrive in next day or so.

I know the chances are slim for us catching it being outside and 6 metres away but I cant stop thinking we've got it and in the next day or so are suddenly going to be very ill.

My husband is higher risk, and I think I might be too with previous health issues and overweight (am in my late 30s).

I'm obviously very worried for his parents but at the moment all I can think about is that we may have covid after spending the entire year inside and the panic is getting overwhelming.

Not much point to this post - Just want to be able to go see my mum but obviously cant risk her so now just stuck inside doing nothing, panicking constantly.

I've lost all rational thinking and I know I just have to wait and try and remain calm but I really dont know how to navigate this - I was ill a couple of years ago and im not sure I can cope with that again.

I know plenty of people are told to self isolate and they are completely fine - just need to keep telling myself that I guess :(

nomorepanic
29-12-20, 12:29
Can I ask why you needed to pay for private tests?

Squishchips
29-12-20, 12:36
Hi Nicola

Didn't need to pay for them I just didnt want to take up gov testing on me being neurotic so I thought best to get a couple of private tests ordered and then we can do those in a few days to be sure.

I hate the waiting so thought this was the best thing to do - they've not arrived yet - got them from a company online and wont be here until tomorrow then results take a few days so in hindsight not my best idea!

ninnie
29-12-20, 12:54
I went dog walking with a friend who'd just had a negative test. That evening she called to say her husband had received a positive test. 🙄 So they're going to test again. Both have relatively average cold like symptoms. Obs I'm now shut in on my own waiting on their results. Funny, three of us had a dreadful cold early December. We didn't get tested, as we were sure it was just a cold. So now wondering, have I already had it? Am I going to get it? How bad will it be? I'm 53, a little over weight, but no health issues, other than anxiety.

Squishchips
29-12-20, 13:36
I went dog walking with a friend who'd just had a negative test. That evening she called to say her husband had received a positive test.  So they're going to test again. Both have relatively average cold like symptoms. Obs I'm now shut in on my own waiting on their results. Funny, three of us had a dreadful cold early December. We didn't get tested, as we were sure it was just a cold. So now wondering, have I already had it? Am I going to get it? How bad will it be? I'm 53, a little over weight, but no health issues, other than anxiety.

I'm sure it's fine as you were both outside (need to learn to take my own advice there!)

A friend of mine just told me a friend of hers had a bad cold so she told her to go get tested and it was positive but she did also lose taste/smell so possibly not?

Who knows with this stupid thing - Im now second guessing everything - got my usual sinus congestion and tickly throat that I get all the time and im now convinced its not that and its corona and this is it.

The waiting that you have to do with this is seriously hard for people with anxiety

Hope everything is ok for you x

ninnie
29-12-20, 14:46
Thanks. My sister seemed to think we'd probably test positive with colds. I've seen mixed reports as to whether this is true or not. Take care. Xx

nomorepanic
29-12-20, 15:22
I had a test on the NHS and got the results 2 days later.

Are you sure the tests are completely legitimate from a reputable company?

NancyW
29-12-20, 16:47
I really think the loss of taste and smell is top of the list with covid.

There is SO much fear with this virus and I completely understand why, the odds are in your favor though for mild/moderate case that you can handle at home.

The not knowing is the devil for HA though, im sorry for that.

Squishchips
29-12-20, 16:59
Thanks - but husband just tested positive so assume I am as well - sore throat and taste is a bit off but no appetite at all.

Very scared - health anxiety in full force and convinced we're both going to die from this. Im so angry as he's high risk and ive kept him safe all year and now this - im really scared xx

NancyW
29-12-20, 19:32
Thanks - but husband just tested positive so assume I am as well - sore throat and taste is a bit off but no appetite at all.

Very scared - health anxiety in full force and convinced we're both going to die from this. Im so angry as he's high risk and ive kept him safe all year and now this - im really scared xx

You'll find a lot of understanding in this thread.. many of us have been there.

Let's count the days together, when did your symptoms start? When did your husband's? We can talk you through this...

Chances are in your favor that you will be fine but I know all to well the what ifs with be up and ready to fight any positive thoughts.

Please stay in touch and let us help you

Squishchips
29-12-20, 19:52
You'll find a lot of understanding in this thread.. many of us have been there.

Let's count the days together, when did your symptoms start? When did your husband's? We can talk you through this...

Chances are in your favor that you will be fine but I know all to well the what ifs with be up and ready to fight any positive thoughts.

Please stay in touch and let us help you

Bless you thank you I really would appreciate that - im spiralling quite heavily

My symptoms started today - sore throat. Had lack of appetite and blocked nose yesterday but I always have that from sinus and lack of appetite I think from anxiety. Today same thing not eaten much at all

Husband is fine so far - no symptoms apart from a slight blocked nose.

I do feel off - very scared and anxious. Just took a load of vitamin C and Zinc, Vitamin D and a propanolol to try and calm me. Not sure what else I can really do but any tips or help would be appreciated

Just keep thinking the worst :( xx

NancyW
29-12-20, 20:05
Right now, do all of things things you would do normally if you had a cold or flu.

Be gentle with yourself, there is a lot of anxiety with this that even people with no anxiety issues have.

I was in denial for the first couple days, then I was upset and angry. This pressure has been on us almost a year, many emotions that have been building all this time may surface.

Sounds like you'll both be in the house for awhile (10 days after symptom onset, no fever for at least 24 hours)

Do you have someone who could stock you up on beverages? Food?

Do you have a favorite television series? I watched the incredible dr pol. Kept me resting on the couch and my mind busy.

Will you get tested? We all did, it actually felt better knowing for sure and not guessing.

Squishchips
29-12-20, 20:17
Right now, do all of things things you would do normally if you had a cold or flu.

Be gentle with yourself, there is a lot of anxiety with this that even people with no anxiety issues have.

I was in denial for the first couple days, then I was upset and angry. This pressure has been on us almost a year, many emotions that have been building all this time may surface.

Sounds like you'll both be in the house for awhile (10 days after symptom onset, no fever for at least 24 hours)

Do you have someone who could stock you up on beverages? Food?

Do you have a favorite television series? I watched the incredible dr pol. Kept me resting on the couch and my mind busy.

Will you get tested? We all did, it actually felt better knowing for sure and not guessing.

Thank you very much, I appreciate all this - I have no appetite but will sort some food delivery - used to staying inside (Xmas day was the first day I left the house in weeks)

My fear is what is going to happen - am I going to have a mild case or will it be really bad? The thought of having to spend the day coughing etc is terrifying me and my husband getting sick is far too much for me to handle at moment. He's my entire world so this is my worst nightmare.

I will get tested but just not sure when or how - will look at it tomorrow and work out where I can go - I do have two home tests arriving so worst case I'll use those just to find out the positive/negative and then go on from there.

Cant stand the unknown and how terrifying this is, I know most people are fine and I just have to keep telling myself that and will look on here for stories if I can. The problem is I see a horror story and then think that'll be me or my husband and I break down xx

NancyW
29-12-20, 20:31
My fear is what is going to happen - am I going to have a mild case or will it be really bad?

Cant stand the unknown and how terrifying this is

Absolutely. This was the worst part. I was out of my mind worried about my son, my husband and myself. My younger son did not get it but he has anxiety and was so frightened. One day he said to me, I'm worried every day, my whole family has something that is killing people. I did my best to assure him each day, while we felt crappy, we were ok.

Honestly all 3 of us said we have been much sicker with other viruses, the fear and anxiety with covid was the worst part.

Let's take this one day at a time.

You're both ok today, (many people that get it bad get hit right away)

ox

NancyW
29-12-20, 20:34
Just in case you are wondering my husband and I are 61, our son is 31.

Squishchips
29-12-20, 21:06
Just in case you are wondering my husband and I are 61, our son is 31.

I really appreciate you taking the time to do this Nancy - thank you so much.

So far my husband has no symptoms, I just feel off - took a propanolol and threw up but apart from that sore throat and achy. Feel very queasy

4th/5th day since exposure - day 1 of symptoms I'll say

I'm hoping and praying my husband stays asymptomatic and that my case is mild - struggling as all I see is death and hospitalisation and our hospitals are all pretty full here. Just need to try and stay as calm as I can and focus on stories like yours.

I cant tell you how much I appreciate this - I am spiralling and this is really helping me - thank you very much

NancyW
29-12-20, 21:17
Hang in there, we'll do this together ❤

Squishchips
29-12-20, 23:01
Hang in there, we'll do this together ❤

Thank you - I am struggling tonight, feel very sick (from anxiety and propanolol I think) and congestion definitely getting worse. Feel like im just waiting for everything to be awful but thinking about it - it was 5 days from exposure before symptoms showed so have to take a positive from that maybe. I dont know

Not looking forward to this sleep - normally when im like this my husband would take care of me but I cant go near him. I'm hating this so much xx

NancyW
29-12-20, 23:42
I'm hating this so much xx

I know :-( I'm sorry you're going through this.

Squishchips
30-12-20, 01:44
Really struggling to sleep, anxiety has set in big time. Hate this point of the night when no one is awake and you end up spiralling. Just gone to worst case scenario without any logic. :(

NancyW
30-12-20, 03:16
I just started a post about this exact thing. I dread going to bed, it's where I toss and turn and my anxiety and the quiet puts horrible thoughts in my head. You may want to check it out, I got some good responses with suggestions

I'm not sure of our time difference, I'm in the Eastern United States. If we can match up our time I'll try my best to be here for you.

Squishchips
30-12-20, 08:25
I just started a post about this exact thing. I dread going to bed, it's where I toss and turn and my anxiety and the quiet puts horrible thoughts in my head. You may want to check it out, I got some good responses with suggestions

I'm not sure of our time difference, I'm in the Eastern United States. If we can match up our time I'll try my best to be here for you.

Thank you, I will take a look. Im very lucky a friend of mine stayed up and talked to me until 3am - was so grateful to her as I was spiralling a lot.

I'm in the UK so 5 hours behind I think? x

NancyW
30-12-20, 12:10
I just checked, it's 7 am here and 12 pm by you. So glad to hear your friend helped you.

How are you feeling today?
How is your husband?

Squishchips
30-12-20, 12:15
I just checked, it's 7 am here and 12 pm by you. So glad to hear your friend helped you.

How are you feeling today?
How is your husband?

Morning, hope you're feeling bit better today

Husband still has no symptoms (apart from slight blocked nose) - im really hoping and praying he's asymptomatic

I'm ok - mostly just quite congested at the moment, bit achy but not sure if thats covid or anxiety - trying to lie on my front as much as possible and move around and drink fluids. Still got no appetite at all - definitely have the weight to lose but worry im not doing myself any favours by not eating. I'm going to try and get some toast in a bit.

My worry is that im suddenly going to go downhill but we're on day 6 since being exposed, day 2 of symptoms and all very mild at the moment so im hoping that's a good sign.

Im guessing the viral load we were both exposed too was relatively small (unless my husband was exposed before me) so im just putting all my hope on that.

Checked oxygen levels and they're at 97 so think all good on that end for the time being

Just not sure how to pass the time at the moment xx

Pamplemousse
30-12-20, 12:31

iPlayer :)

NancyW
30-12-20, 12:42
My worry is that im suddenly going to go downhill

Yep, that's part of covid for everyone because it's been drilled into our heads for 10 months. Each morning I'd wake up and think, well, I'm ok today thank God.

Do you have any TV series that you like? Movies? Something funny? Romantic? What's interesting to you?

Squishchips
30-12-20, 13:29
I have looked at watching something but I just cant focus. I do watch YouTube, love crime shows like Chicago PD but I've seen most of the stuff I wanted too (barely left the house) I'm going to try and watch something and see if I can just calm down.

I keep thinking as everything so mild at the moment this might be a good sign

NancyW
30-12-20, 15:18
I keep thinking as everything so mild at the moment this might be a good sign

Yes it is :-)

Pamplemousse
30-12-20, 18:02
Yes it is :-)

Indeed, and let us not forget the 'Nocebo effect' - being positive has good outcomes.

Squishchips
30-12-20, 19:40
Indeed, and let us not forget the 'Nocebo effect' - being positive has good outcomes.

I'm trying to do this but just so annoyed and angry this has happened. I've literally not left my house in months and now im at risk because my husbands mother went and got some biscuits from a shop! Not to mention how unlucky we were to be infected from so far away. I'm so scared and upset.

Symptoms today not worsened much just a scratchy throat and wanting to cough, really hope it doesnt progress much more

Keep thinking im doing ok then having a wobble and being so scared for the next 10 days :( xx

pulisa
30-12-20, 19:52
Did your husband get an NHS test, Squishchips?

Squishchips
30-12-20, 20:08
Did your husband get an NHS test, Squishchips?

He did yes - booked him one the day we found out about his mum because I wanted to be sure he was safe. Figured better he goes on his own rather than the two of us in a car together just in case and then it came back positive the following day

pulisa
30-12-20, 20:16
It's incredibly bad luck and really makes you wonder whether being outside is as "safe" as they say it is..Obviously not.

I've always wondered whether enforced shielding actually lowers your immune response but what are you meant to do in these circumstances when you have a health condition in the first place?

Squishchips
30-12-20, 20:22
It's incredibly bad luck and really makes you wonder whether being outside is as "safe" as they say it is..Obviously not.

I've always wondered whether enforced shielding actually lowers your immune response but what are you meant to do in these circumstances when you have a health condition in the first place?

I agree - my only hope is that the viral load is low and therefore safer - I dont know, my brain all over the place at the moment

It probably does - we've been so very careful but his niece also got positive (same scenario at their house in the garden) - not sure how far away they were there but they have a big garden so know it would be quite a distance.

I've always said minimum 20ft to be safe but im guessing this new strain with the right conditions that doesnt matter :(

pulisa
30-12-20, 20:59
I don't think you can speculate on this one..It's a question of dealing with what you've got. You can't predict and have no choice other than take it an hour at a time and try not to spiral into worst case scenario mindset because that will just exhaust you and you need to look after yourselves now.

In a way it's worse psychologically to know about the positive test because you wouldn't have given these mild symptoms a second thought this time last year. It'll be a stressful waiting game and nothing can make that any more bearable for you but keep posting and you'll get loads of support and advice from people who've been through covid and are now out the other side x

Squishchips
30-12-20, 22:35
Thank you Pulisa appreciate it

I am getting a headache now so obviously mind whirling - even though I suffer with my sinuses quite a bit and this is all quite normal for me but who knows.

Trying to stay as positive as I can xx

Pamplemousse
30-12-20, 23:15
I do know how you feel about this Squishchips... because I'd be exactly the same. Frightened at possible outcomes and at the same time, angry over how it happened and after all the effort made to stay safe. You really do have my sympathy.

fishman65
31-12-20, 00:01
Squishchips - you have my total admiration. I don't know whether that helps you, but you have it. I've heard people say that in November/December 2019 they had some 'weird kind of flu'. Of course then, they had never heard of covid so just shrugged it off. You will shrug this off too!!

Thinking of you both

Squishchips
31-12-20, 06:27
Thank you very much Fishman and Pamplemousse, I really appreciate it

Had a major wobble last night - got a headache and immediately panicked and then had a panic attack which made me feel awful.

Woken up this morning with a headache and some nausea - no idea if panic, covid, or god knows what. My husband not awake yet so just hoping he has another day of no symptoms.

This is such a scary time and I am really struggling today - no one awake so worst time of the day to be panicky.

Just have to be positive - Day 7 since exposure so halfway through

pulisa
31-12-20, 08:33
It's a very long day and night when you're on the alert..There is always someone here to talk to though.

Day 7 is much better than Days1-6 and 1 day nearer to recovery. I'd try to rest as much as you can because there's nothing else you can do. Phone friends and chat about normal stuff? When this is over you'll be free to get on with your lives x

Squishchips
31-12-20, 09:04
It's a very long day and night when you're on the alert..There is always someone here to talk to though.

Day 7 is much better than Days1-6 and 1 day nearer to recovery. I'd try to rest as much as you can because there's nothing else you can do. Phone friends and chat about normal stuff? When this is over you'll be free to get on with your lives x

I know - feel exhausted.

I just want to say thank you to the people on this thread - I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me - it's helping me a lot

Im fine this morning apart from bad headache - slight congestion and a slight sore throat. Feel very anxious and panicky though and definitely nausea.

I've told a few friends and they've all been great. My mum has been on hand on FaceTime pretty much whenever I need her - it's just the quiet moments when there is no one around I struggle.

So far this morning, my husband still feels fine - day 7 and we're now 4 days after a positive test so im really hopeful. Asked him to stay in one room today as he was going between two yesterday (with a mask on) - feel like im driving him mad but my anxiety has taken over.

I'm stuck in a bedroom with no bathroom so every time I leave I panic I could catch something if I haven't already. It's exhausting. I just want to go to my mums but cant do that so trying to be as calm as possible.

Some appetite back today so made myself some toast and a smoothie with some fruit in it so at least there's that. Got the window open as well to try and let some fresh air in and keep myself calm.

I've been reading the other thread on here and my symptoms sounds very similar to the lady in there which is really calming me - On same path as her and it looks like it stayed pretty much the same throughout so hoping that'll be the same for me.

Day 3 of symptoms, Day 7 since exposure. xx

Gary A
31-12-20, 09:23
I found that the 3rd day after my positive test was my worst. I had quite strong symptoms at that point, I literally couldn’t get out of bed and the pain in my chest was excruciating. I also completely lost my sense of taste and smell.

However, I also found that as quickly as these symptoms developed they disappeared just as quickly. I honestly felt fit and well enough to go back to work less than a week after testing positive, although I obviously couldn’t.

Generally, if neither you or your husbands symptoms have worsened by this point then the chances are they won’t. You’ll most likely find that the vast majority of your symptoms are being caused by increased anxiety.

Try to calm down, at your age there’s almost zero chance of even becoming ill enough to require a visit to the hospital let alone anything else. You’ll be absolutely fine.

Squishchips
31-12-20, 10:41
I found that the 3rd day after my positive test was my worst. I had quite strong symptoms at that point, I literally couldn’t get out of bed and the pain in my chest was excruciating. I also completely lost my sense of taste and smell.

However, I also found that as quickly as these symptoms developed they disappeared just as quickly. I honestly felt fit and well enough to go back to work less than a week after testing positive, although I obviously couldn’t.

Generally, if neither you or your husbands symptoms have worsened by this point then the chances are they won’t. You’ll most likely find that the vast majority of your symptoms are being caused by increased anxiety.

Try to calm down, at your age there’s almost zero chance of even becoming ill enough to require a visit to the hospital let alone anything else. You’ll be absolutely fine.

Hi Gary,

Thank you very much, that calms me also. I feel ok today just a horrid sinus headache - id just assume this was a sinus infection (I mean it might still be!)

Got some aching as well but that might just be being stuck in the room im in who knows

I really appreciate that and agree my anxiety is causing the worse symptoms at the moment. I'm 38 and my husband is 45 with a chronic condition so I was very concerned but so far he's still asymptomatic. I would be surprised if he got symptoms now 4 days after a positive test and 7 days after exposure

It's going to be a long week!!

Glad you're feeling better as well Gary :)

NancyW
31-12-20, 11:48
Good morning checking in this morning on my friend across the pond. Glad the days are ticking away and you both are still ok.

You actually sound like you're following my husband's path, he had a relentless headache for about a week.

I am now at week 7 after symptom onset and I still have very little taste or smell. Again this morning my coffee tastes like hot water. :-(

Squishchips
31-12-20, 12:13
Good morning checking in this morning on my friend across the pond. Glad the days are ticking away and you both are still ok.

You actually sound like you're following my husband's path, he had a relentless headache for about a week.

I am now at week 7 after symptom onset and I still have very little taste or smell. Again this morning my coffee tastes like hot water. :-(

Good morning Nancy - hope all is good with you other than the water coffee of course

Still no symptoms for my husband (long may that continue) and I had a paracetamol drink this morning which cleared the headache - just the sore throat at the moment. Our niece is just tired and not much appetite. Mine is coming back a bit now

Did your husband have any other symptoms?

Sorry to hear about your taste, that must be tough :(

I really hope that doesn't happen to me, so far taste seems fine though maybe a bit muted (possibly because im analysing it closely which I would never do before!) - fingers crossed yours starts to come back soon.

I did see something online somewhere that talked about a trick with an orange and some sugar - you put the orange on your gas burner until its blackened, peel the skin off and then mix some sugar in and eat that. No idea if that would work or not really but might be worth a go

From what ive seen online it can just gradually come back and might take a little while. Seems like such a strange symptom isn't it. This virus is very strange.

xx

Squishchips
01-01-21, 05:55
Good morning - happy new year

Today I've woken up incredibly panicky - no one else awake and I find this so difficult.

Waiting for my husband to wake up to tell me if he has any symptoms

Last night was very tough - I still have the sinus symptoms - lot of congestion etc, but in the evening my mother in law took herself to hospital as she was having breathing difficulties. To say im worried is an understatement.

She does suffer with her asthma - normally needs steroids/antibiotics round this time of year regardless but she's 70 and Im scared.

Trying to rationalise it in my head - she's got bad asthma meaning she may have needed to go with any type of flu / chest infection and they were being overly cautious sending her there which is a good thing.

Anxiety levels so high but when I take a propanolol I feel so sick - not sure if anyone else gets this?

pulisa
01-01-21, 08:24
Hello Squishchips..

I'm sure she's been advised to get checked out in hospital due to her asthma. The fact that she was well enough to take herself in is reassuring but of course you will be worried until you hear from her. She's 70 but that's not the same as being 80 or 90 with covid. Don't write her off due to "age"..

If propanolol makes you feel sick don't take it-it obviously doesn't help your anxiety if you become nauseous. Has your GP suggested a short course of diazepam while you are going through this high anxiety?

What are you going to do to get through the day? I hope your husband is awake by now and still asymptomatic. Does he suffer from anxiety or is he just getting on with it?

Squishchips
01-01-21, 08:44
Hello Squishchips..

I'm sure she's been advised to get checked out in hospital due to her asthma. The fact that she was well enough to take herself in is reassuring but of course you will be worried until you hear from her. She's 70 but that's not the same as being 80 or 90 with covid. Don't write her off due to "age"..

If propanolol makes you feel sick don't take it-it obviously doesn't help your anxiety if you become nauseous. Has your GP suggested a short course of diazepam while you are going through this high anxiety?

What are you going to do to get through the day? I hope your husband is awake by now and still asymptomatic. Does he suffer from anxiety or is he just getting on with it?

Hi Pulisa,

Thank you for replying to me - he's not awake yet and it feels like torture :( I thought I heard him awake but no response to any texts or calls yet - I dont want to wake him as he needs his sleep just need to know if he's ok.

I have spoken to my GP about anxiety before and it really wasn't very helpful - she shoved some antidepressants at me which I was reluctant to go on, and another GP gave me propanolol. I keep it on standby if I ever need but I find it makes the anxiety worse when it wears off and the risk of nausea when I do take it.

I have not tried diazepam or been recommended it, I wonder if I should organise a video GP appointment and see if they would prescribe it?

I have therapy once a month and I had another session with my therapist a couple of days ago which was really helpful. It's just the waiting I cant bear.

I'm very lucky to have some lovely friends - ive been talking a friend of mine this morning who has helped whilst I wait for my husband to wake up and others that check in during the day. To get through the days, I'm trying to watch what I can, and my mum is on hand to help.

I agree with the 111 decision to send her to A&E, I know its for safety but I do worry of course and I also feel guilty for being so anxious about my husband and myself whilst she's in the hospital and yes age is definitely on her side.

I just hate the waiting - with my anxiety I need to know what's going on at all times and when I have no control over that, I lose control. My nausea this morning is not good

8 days since exposure xx

EDIT - husband is still feeling fine (thank god), his mum is in hospital and being kept in which is very worrying but she's in the best place possible.

pulisa
01-01-21, 13:50
Hello again...

She's being kept in because she has asthma and they will want to monitor her throughout the day rather than send her home smartish. She has tested positive so the hospital is only doing what it should..She is in good hands and better not to take any chances..

I would really recommend you talking to a GP about diazepam. It's very helpful in the short term and will help you get through the hours of waiting and wondering. Can you call 111 and ask to set up a video appointment today? It's fast acting and will take your anxiety down a level which makes things more bearable.

Keep talking to your friends too..It's a very stressful time for you and they will want to support you as best they can.

Squishchips
01-01-21, 14:11
Hello again...

She's being kept in because she has asthma and they will want to monitor her throughout the day rather than send her home smartish. She has tested positive so the hospital is only doing what it should..She is in good hands and better not to take any chances..

I would really recommend you talking to a GP about diazepam. It's very helpful in the short term and will help you get through the hours of waiting and wondering. Can you call 111 and ask to set up a video appointment today? It's fast acting and will take your anxiety down a level which makes things more bearable.

Keep talking to your friends too..It's a very stressful time for you and they will want to support you as best they can.

Hello, I agree that's why they're doing it and to give some stronger doses of steroids no doubt. My father in law seems to be doing ok so far which is good

I have an online doctor membership with Bupa so I'll get an appointment on that in the next couple of days, they're booked today unfortunately - I do seem to be getting random bursts of panic that make me feel horrid so I worry im about to go rapidly downhill then it wears off and im back to just being in sinus infection land. I sometimes wonder if anxiety can bring on congestion etc as I do suffer with my sinuses a lot - probably not!

Thank you very much, good to know something out there that might help :)

ninnie
01-01-21, 19:27
I know so many people who are convinced they had this last Christmas. And without all the media coverage etc. they just shrugged it off as a bad cold/virus/flu. I'm on day 5 after exposure and no symptoms, other than the odd possibly imagined tickly cough, headache etc. Amazing/infuriating how our minds/imagination can get the better of us.

Squishchips
01-01-21, 19:51
I know so many people who are convinced they had this last Christmas. And without all the media coverage etc. they just shrugged it off as a bad cold/virus/flu. I'm on day 5 after exposure and no symptoms, other than the odd possibly imagined tickly cough, headache etc. Amazing/infuriating how our minds/imagination can get the better of us.

I think that's good sign tbh - from what Ive seen most people show symptoms earlier.

I've just found out my sister and brother in law are both positive but the two other kids aren't. She's got no symptoms yet and he's got a cold.

It's made me spiral completely as now im just waiting for this to get worse but just have to hold on to the hope that it started mild and no reason for it to get worse. It just feels like a sinus infection at the moment - all perfectly manageable.

I think if I get to Monday relatively unscathed I'll be able to breathe easier

What a nightmare this is :(

NancyW
01-01-21, 20:06
What a nightmare this is :(

Yes it is, for the majority of us, the anxiety it causes is the worst part.

Squishchips
01-01-21, 20:47
Yes it is, for the majority of us, the anxiety it causes is the worst part.

Agree with this majorly - for the most part I just feel like I have a sinus infection. I've had a few bouts of feeling absolutely awful and its always when im in panic mode.

In a way it has calmed me - at the moment my arms are aching I know thats due to panic so im not as worried.

My NHS app says 8 more days to isolate - so a week left from tomorrow. Just going to get through the weekend (worried about this) and then I'll be a bit less worried I think and hope xx

Squishchips
02-01-21, 07:43
Morning everyone - not sure if it helps anyone to update but it definitely helps me!

Day 5 of symptoms - woke up as usual - sinus headache, sinus congestion, ears blocked and a bit achy but again that's all normal for me with sinus stuff. No temp all fine.
My husband still fine - he's now day 8/9 from exposure and day 6 since positive test so that to me is a really good sign.

For both of us - will be a lot more relaxed about this from Monday so two days to get through

No update on anyone else as too early - but hoping my mother in law gets released from hospital today. They said she was improving yesterday but keeping her in for another night to monitor oxygen and then if all good send her home today. My father in law is ok but very worried about his wife and obviously still going through covid symptoms.

Yesterday my brother and sister in law both tested positive, the other two kids negative. It through me in a spin as his only symptom is a cold, she is so far symptomless. One of the other kids has a cold but tested negative.

I'm so confused by all this - we've all tried to work out if anyway other of exposure (they all work in schools) but they hadn't seen us or my mother in law so it looks like she's the one that spread it. I guess some people are really contagious and some aren't? who knows.

Trying not to second guess it - just got to get through the next week

If anyone has any tips for sinus congestion would love to know them - it's not that bad just annoying - my ears are both crackling and blocked

Hope everyone else is doing good today xx

fishman65
02-01-21, 22:08
I'm so pleased you are working your way through this Squishchips. You're going to be fine, that's easy for me to say because I'd be just the same as you. All this last year we've had the opportunity to study this virus and read all the horror stories. And its quite clear the media home in on those rare horror stories and present them as the norm. Reporting about people having mild symptoms doesn't sell newspapers.

I'm wondering if your MIL is a super-spreader? Which is hard on her of course as it makes it sound deliberate. But it does appear from what I've read, that some people shed unusually large amounts of virus.

Squishchips
03-01-21, 07:51
I'm so pleased you are working your way through this Squishchips. You're going to be fine, that's easy for me to say because I'd be just the same as you. All this last year we've had the opportunity to study this virus and read all the horror stories. And its quite clear the media home in on those rare horror stories and present them as the norm. Reporting about people having mild symptoms doesn't sell newspapers.

I'm wondering if your MIL is a super-spreader? Which is hard on her of course as it makes it sound deliberate. But it does appear from what I've read, that some people shed unusually large amounts of virus.

Thank you - I'm not having a good night/day yesterday and this morning so that really helps. I'm struggling a lot and now have some aching and I dont know if that's panic or symptoms or god knows what.

I was doing fine and then suddenly though - what if I didnt get exposed at same time as my husband, he gave it to me, and now symptoms will be showing soon. I cant seem to shake it :( We're now day 10 from exposure (including the day so maybe day 9?) - husband is day 7 since positive test and im day 5/6 from last seeing him and day 10 from exposure also (and day 6 of having sinus symptoms)

So far, only sinus symptoms. Today I've woken up with a lot of panic - arms aching and generally just feel off. Sinus stuff still there but eased slightly.

Trying to be logical with myself - chances are I was exposed at the exact same time as him - chances also are if i have it, I would know by now and this sinus bits and bobs is a mild case of it, and also he's asymptomatic (so far) so chances of exposure are slim anyway.

This is all so unknown and scary and I hate this waiting.

I have to wait for biopsy results every 6 months for a previous issue and this is worse than that (and I never thought id say that). Everyday is like - well tomorrow I'll know if im ok or not.

I think once I get 10 days past exposure from my husband I'll calm down a lot more. I just hope I dont suddenly get new symptoms or feel awful

I feel myself spiralling so now im talking myself down and trying to calm down. It's that horrid time of the day when no one is awake but anxiety so bad at the moment I also dont want to talk to anyone - it's a strange vicious circle.

Day 10 since exposure xx

NancyW
04-01-21, 14:13
Squishchips (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?85049-Squishchips)
Are you going to get tested? Knowing for sure gave me some peace.

Squishchips
04-01-21, 14:18
Squishchips (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?85049-Squishchips)
Are you going to get tested? Knowing for sure gave me some peace.

I will do but not yet - I dont feel that I want to know at the moment - maybe the wrong decision but I think the right one for me

Held off from updating as whilst my husband still has no symptoms and I am the same - just sinus, my mother in law is not doing very well and I dont want to risk causing any anxiety on this forum.

I've managed to get up and thought the house safe enough to do some washing and take the bins out so am feeling better for being out the room but now concerned about air transmission of covid (I really don't know why im so fixated on it).

It's exhausting and I just want this horrid week over and everyone safe

I hope all is well with you Nancy xx

NancyW
04-01-21, 14:27
I am sorry to hear about your mother in law, I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

It is horrid, I do agree with you. Take good care ox