PDA

View Full Version : A little help please?

Vikki
02-11-07, 16:56
I know this is going to sound a little - wooooooo but, I have a problem with my anxiety right now and I can't seem to control things very well and have not done for the last few days.

So am going out on a limb here and I am going to post exactly what has made me feel this way.

I read the other day that there is a prediction for the end of the world in 2012 :ohmy: things like this make me extremly worried at the best of times, but, I cant stop thinking about it.

I have not been able to stop thinking about it for 4 days now, I feel sick with worry and my anxiety feels like I could just pop - it is that high.

What can I do to gain some control over things, it seems I have no perspective over it.

I spoke to my Husband and he said "oh its rubbish, even if its not there is nothing you can do to stop it" - that made me feel worse.

I have been coping with a lot of change these last few weeks, but, it has all been good change. I have a new job starting in a few days too, first time I have worked in 5 years.

Can anyone help me?

Vikki

coldwater
02-11-07, 17:23
if it helps before i had anxiety i saw this and thought it was rubbish. Now ive got it i can see where ur coming frm its jus the illness creating all that fear , but always remember anxiety does not CONTROL you it just pulls u back a bit :hugs:

Vikki
02-11-07, 17:26
Thank you x

I cant really see my keybord for tears right now but thankyou for understanding me

Vikki

belle
02-11-07, 17:52
I heard this years ago. I *think* it has something to do with the Mayan (sp?) calander not going any further than 2012. It definitely caused me some concerned - and it IS something that bothers me and if i think about it too much i get an absolutely hopeless feeling that i have to snap out off.

Just don't think about it...my only advice.

x

sus21
02-11-07, 22:03
Hi Vicki

I know exactly how you feel but i want to assure you the world will not...listen to me...it will not end in 2012.

This kind of stuff always gets put in the media...remember the millenium? I know its tough and scares you but listen to the logical part of your mind here and don't let the anxiety over rule it. I am only 39 but I can remember plenty of times the world was going to end....the millenium bug, nostradamus, sattelites and meteors falling... and none of it comes true.

I can hear you saying now "But what if this time it is true?" .... it is not. This is merely some idiots warped interpretation of misguided information. Why listen to one interpretation? These things are fabricated purely to sell parpers and make people watch their TV station...its all crap. Promise

I hope this makes you feel better..I too sit with tears running down reading some of the posts and listening to everyones kindness.. please don't worry anymore ...its ok

Love SUE xxx

Stefan P
03-11-07, 12:40
I saw a documentary regarding the Mayan prophecy about the world ending, and I totally understand how it can affect those of us that suffer from a never ending anxiety anyway.

I looked into the Calendar and found that understanding it more deeply is the key to unlocking why it makes this prediction. It is in fact a scientific marvel that people from so many years ago were able to create a time recording device that is (claimed) even more accurate than the way we record time today.

As for all the doom and gloom in it - well the prophecies are the typically vague things like "This will be a time of war" (when is it not), "There will be great famine" (When is there not), and such like. The Mayans were, in addition to great scientists, deeply spiritual and felt the need to attach some sort of prophetic meaning to their "cycles" of time.

In the modern age, we no longer feel the need to attach spiritualism to science, and therefore can disassociate the mystical parts of the calendar from the truly astonishing science it represents.

Not sure if that helps - but I used to be afraid of these crazy prophecies about the world ending - I found that understanding the people that made these prophecies better was the key for me to lose (most of) my fear that they might be right this time.

june
03-11-07, 14:14
Years ago people in this country were terrified when the moon went blood read at harvest time - science proved it was reflected light - Nothing to worry about.
"They" say that the devils number is 666 BUT these are arabic numbers not in use when these scare stories abound.
The world was supposed to end inthe 1970s Thousands of people went up into the mountains to be nearer God and many people were terrified by the prediction - My teenage daughter had dreadful nightmares about it - she is 37 now and fine. As the others have said the newspapers need a good story to sell their paper and fear and gossip are about the best.
I think your stress is related to the tension of starting your job I hope you really enjoy being back at work.
June

happyone
03-11-07, 14:26
You say you have a lot of change happening at the moment. Even good change is stressful and thus making you more vulnerable to anxiety.

I can't add anything else to the wise words from others except to say that I spent ten years of my life worrying about something that didn't come to fruition. I was worried I had contracted HIV from my one and only one night stand and I wouldn't go and be tested for ten years! I didn't worry constantly but I did worry in times of stress and it would rear it's ugly head again. Please don't let your next five years be blighted with worry like this and instead take some comfort from the wise words of the other posters here!
Take care
Happyone
xx

Krakers
03-11-07, 14:56
Hi Vikki - while I haven't heard this prophecy (and don't believe it now that I have), I have had unwanted thoughts.

When Steve Irwin died last year (the bonkers australian guy on TV), I kept thinking well if he's gone what chance do I have. I thought about it non stop for nearly 2 weeks - all the time and incessantly.

Eventually I realised my obsessing wasn't doing me any good and tried to think about it rationally (not easy to do I know). When I did that, I'm suprised he lasted as long as he did. I don't goad venemous snakes, poke deadly spiders or wrestle crocodiles. Basically I realised I was obsessing unneccessarily, and within a couple of days the thoughts went away.

As previously posted, the world was meant to end in 2000 - never happened. That mad bloke at Waco had everyone believing the world was going to end - never happened. To be honest it had more chance of happening when senile Ronald Regan was president of the US - never happened.

If you can rationalise this then great, that'll help. If you can't then distract yourself by doing something else and eventually the thoughts will fade.

Krakers.

Vikki
03-11-07, 19:43
Thank you for all your reply's.

It is hard to express how we feel in times of anxiety. I often feel that although the thinking may be totally irrational, the fear is 100% real.

Today I have felt somewhat better, just a little wobble moment as I walked home from town.

I am trying to understand why I feel this way, I am terrified of going back to FT employment but I know I am ready to do so.
It is more than likely that my fears about Monday are being directed at the things I have read recently.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone who has answered me and put my mind at ease.

Somewhere along the way I seemed to have turned my own imagination into my own worst enemy.

Love Vikki
x

Vikki
03-11-07, 19:47
[quote=Krakers;272321]
Eventually I realised my obsessing wasn't doing me any good and tried to think about it rationally (not easy to do I know). When I did that, I'm suprised he lasted as long as he did. I don't goad venemous snakes, poke deadly spiders or wrestle crocodiles. Basically I realised I was obsessing unneccessarily, and within a couple of days the thoughts went away.
quote]

My husband raised this with me, he said "If a car were to hit you at 40mph chances are you would die. Does that stop you from ever crossing the road?"

It really made me think, and it relates to what you said. Just hard to put into practise some days :blush:

Take care
Vikki
x

Vikki
04-11-07, 15:17
Oh am back to square 1 :weep:

Again its going over and over in my head and I just want it to stop.
I keep re-reading the thread and trying so hard to be re-assured. It must be nerves about tomorrow, I know but I just wish these fears would go away.

Vikki
x

Stefan P
04-11-07, 16:16
I feel for you :weep: but I do think that the anxiety you originally posted about is more to do with other things that are coming up tomorrow - that's going to be pretty hard and I wish there were something I could say to make you feel better about it.

One thing my wife always reminds me of (that doesn't really help I must admit!) is that work is never ever that bad once I get there. And whilst it doesn't help at the time she is saying it to relieve the anxiety - she is invariably right! It's not ever that bad once you get there.

So have courage! As much as you can, tell yourself that however bad it feels now, the things that are making it bad are the thoughts that you are having. Work itself is not going to be as bad as the runaway thoughts are trying to tell you - you're in control of them! Not the other way around! I know its hard to remember that at these times, but it is true - you can control them.