PDA

View Full Version : Cymbalta for health anxiety

Anxiety218
31-12-20, 23:23
Has anyone taken cymbalta and if so how was/is it? I’m debating against it based on the horrible withdrawal stories.

nomorepanic
31-12-20, 23:50
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

glassgirlw
01-01-21, 00:15
I can’t do meds myself. Have tried a couple of them and I just can’t do it. However - my mom takes Cymbalta as part of her fibromyalgia meds. She’s gone on and off of them several times. Now - it should be noted that is a horrible idea. But, she does it anyway. She’s never mentioned much in the way of withdrawal issues.

Anxiety218
01-01-21, 00:38
IÂ’ve tried a lot. This is my last one IÂ’m trying. Thank you for the reply

quaksalver
01-01-21, 02:14
Cymbalta is a good AD

Luke any psych drug, you wont get any withdrawal symptoms if you withdraw slowly

panic_down_under
01-01-21, 04:51
Has anyone taken cymbalta and if so how was/is it? I’m debating against it based on the horrible withdrawal stories.

The SNRIs can be harder to quit than other ADs because of their short half-lives. An added difficulty with duloxetine is it is destroyed by stomach acids so can only be taken in enteric coated capsules which prevents weaning off by small dose reductions. The solution is to switch to the very long half-life fluoxetine (Prozac) and then weaning off it.

IÂ’ve tried a lot. This is my last one IÂ’m trying

What other ADs have you tried, what was the maximum dose you took and for how long were you on that dose?

NoraB
01-01-21, 05:21
I've just been prescribed this for abdo pain as a muscle relaxant? But also my GP says it's used a lot with fibromyalgia. I have chemical sensitivity though and every drug I've tried (aside co-codamol) I've been taken off them due to the severity of the side effects. I've held off trying the drug because of Christmas, and I'm still making excuses not to take one of the buggers. Mind you, the abdo pain (which is why I'm trying it in the first place) has been a tolerable 2/10 since I saw my GP..:whistles:

Anxiety218
01-01-21, 05:46
I've just been prescribed this for abdo pain as a muscle relaxant? But also my GP says it's used a lot with fibromyalgia. I have chemical sensitivity though and every drug I've tried (aside co-codamol) I've been taken off them due to the severity of the side effects. I've held off trying the drug because of Christmas, and I'm still making excuses not to take one of the buggers. Mind you, the abdo pain (which is why I'm trying it in the first place) has been a tolerable 2/10 since I saw my GP..:whistles:

Fibromyalgia runs in my family and I’m currently going through ruling everything else out in order to be diagnosed. That’s why she decided it would be better then lexapro for me. First night I took it 5 hours ago and I feel nauseous and can’t sleep.

Anxiety218
01-01-21, 05:48
The SNRIs can be harder to quit than other ADs because of their short half-lives. An added difficulty with duloxetine is it is destroyed by stomach acids so can only be taken in enteric coated capsules which prevents weaning off by small dose reductions. The solution is to switch to the very long half-life fluoxetine (Prozac) and then weaning off it.

What other ADs have you tried, what was the maximum dose you took and for how long were you on that dose?

I’ve tried Zoloft, Prozac, buspar, Hydrozine, Wellbutrin, and now cymbalta.

At first they didn’t even want to put me on a AD as they thought I could manage with just hydrozine as needed and counseling. She still only wants me on this for no more then a year. I’m under a lot of stress which triggers my HA. I get married in three months and on top of the pandemic I work in healthcare and it’s all just a lot.

panic_down_under
01-01-21, 06:51
I've just been prescribed this for abdo pain as a muscle relaxant?

Can say I've heard of using duloxetine for muscle related muscle pain, but who know. ADs can affect some muscles and the gut's enteric nervous system has some control over gut muscles.

But also my GP says it's used a lot with fibromyalgia.

Most ADs have positive effects on neuropathic pain, but I'd be taking low doses of one of the TCAs rather than a SNRI. Amitriptyline at 10-25mg seems to be the most prescribed TCA for this.

Mind you, the abdo pain (which is why I'm trying it in the first place) has been a tolerable 2/10 since I saw my GP..:whistles:

Maybe you don't even need to take it to get a positive response, the treat of doing so alone might be enough. The placebo effect in reverse. :winks:

NoraB
01-01-21, 07:02
Maybe you don't even need to take it to get a positive response, the treat of doing so alone might be enough. The placebo effect in reverse. :winks:

Pain has lessoned while I have been deliberately not lifting heavy stuff or stretching up so this is looking like a 'mechanical' issue. Taking meds causes other issues so I will only try the drug if I'm desperate. Last drug I tried (re another issue) stopped me from being able to wee, and that was also an antidepressant. Have taken AD's historically with no issues, but not anymore. :weep:

panic_down_under
01-01-21, 07:41
I’ve tried Zoloft, Prozac, buspar, Hydrozine, Wellbutrin, and now cymbalta.

So two SSRIs, buspirone (Buspar) which works well for a few and not at all for most and then only for GAD, hydroxyzine which is a antihistamine with fairly good anti anxiety properties, but usually not enough for HA and bupropion (Wellbutrin) which is a stimulating AD that can have many with anxiety disorders almost literally climbing walls.

I'm not a fan of SNRIs because of their short half-lives and slow-release formulations which can make starting and stopping them difficult. The older tricyclic class ADs (TCAs) are a better bet, imho. They are arguably more effective than SSRIs and SNRIs, less likely to poop out and most are available in small dose tablets relative to their therapeutic dose range making it easy to start on low doses to minimise initial side-effects and also to wean off in small steps. The TCAs tend to produce less severe side-effects and withdrawal symptoms anyway.

At first they didn’t even want to put me on a AD as they thought I could manage with just hydrozine as needed and counseling.

Hydroxyzine was worth a shot. It isn't quite as potent an anxiolytic as the benzodiazepines, but for milder anxiety it is often potent enough. However, HA is on the OCD spectrum which are the anxiety disorders that are most treatment resistant, defying both ADs and therapy so I'm not surprised it wasn't enough. A combination of both meds and therapy seems to produce the best outcomes.

She still only wants me on this for no more then a year.

Sounds like she might have a mild case of pill-phobia - there's a pill for that! :winks: Most guidelines advise taking ADs for no less than 12 months the first time so don't get rushed off medication. I've seen many quit their meds after a few months because they thought they had the problem licked only to crash and burn soon after and then really struggle to get things back under control. Plus, for a few of us, e.g. me, anxiety disorders are chronic conditions which fluctuate in intensity but don't ever go away completely so remaining permanently medicated is the best long term option.

quaksalver
01-01-21, 10:03
I am a bit confused about what is this about. Somebody wants to start a med but is worrief about what migj t happen when they stop? Shouldnt they cross that Bridges when they get there?

Im new so not sure if I am allowed to suggest another forum but surviving antidepressants is very good for this type of thing

Anxiety218
01-01-21, 11:07
So two SSRIs, buspirone (Buspar) which works well for a few and not at all for most and then only for GAD, hydroxyzine which is a antihistamine with fairly good anti anxiety properties, but usually not enough for HA and bupropion (Wellbutrin) which is a stimulating AD that can have many with anxiety disorders almost literally climbing walls.

I'm not a fan of SNRIs because of their short half-lives and slow-release formulations which can make starting and stopping them difficult. The older tricyclic class ADs (TCAs) are a better bet, imho. They are arguably more effective than SSRIs and SNRIs, less likely to poop out and most are available in small dose tablets relative to their therapeutic dose range making it easy to start on low doses to minimise initial side-effects and also to wean off in small steps. The TCAs tend to produce less severe side-effects and withdrawal symptoms anyway.

Hydroxyzine was worth a shot. It isn't quite as potent an anxiolytic as the benzodiazepines, but for milder anxiety it is often potent enough. However, HA is on the OCD spectrum which are the anxiety disorders that are most treatment resistant, defying both ADs and therapy so I'm not surprised it wasn't enough. A combination of both meds and therapy seems to produce the best outcomes.

Sounds like she might have a mild case of pill-phobia - there's a pill for that! :winks: Most guidelines advise taking ADs for no less than 12 months the first time so don't get rushed off medication. I've seen many quit their meds after a few months because they thought they had the problem licked only to crash and burn soon after and then really struggle to get things back under control. Plus, for a few of us, e.g. me, anxiety disorders are chronic conditions which fluctuate in intensity but don't ever go away completely so remaining permanently medicated is the best long term option.

I can’t be permanently medicated right now, I’m only 21 and I want to have a. Baby in the next year.

Anxiety218
01-01-21, 11:09
I am a bit confused about what is this about. Somebody wants to start a med but is worrief about what migj t happen when they stop? Shouldnt they cross that Bridges when they get there?

Im new so not sure if I am allowed to suggest another forum but surviving antidepressants is very good for this type of thing

She mentioned it for short term use. I’m just weighing my options on what would be best since it has a short half life. I can’t take the chance of crossing when I get there if I end up pregnant and need off it immediately. ( not that I would try while being on it but obviously stuff happens).

Anxiety218
01-01-21, 11:16

What are some TCAs?

panic_down_under
01-01-21, 12:17
What are some TCAs?

Clomipramine (Anafranil) was the AD for OCD until the SSRIs became available. Imipramine (Tofranil) and amitriptyline (Elavil) may also be effective. One SSRI, fluvoxamine (Luvox) proved as effective as clomipramine for OCD, however, because of the way it is metabolised it can affect many other medications which may become problematic if there are other health issues. But it should be considered if your doctor baulks at prescribing TCAs (unfortunately, many doctors these days have little to no experience of prescribing anything other than SSRIs/SNRIs - older doctors who worked before the SSRI/SNRI era still tend to favour the older ADs, TCAs, even MAOIs).

quaksalver
02-01-21, 04:29
Sory, your not making much sense.

Have you thought about seeing a therapist or psychiatrist?

panic_down_under
02-01-21, 08:07
I can’t take the chance of crossing when I get there if I end up pregnant and need off it immediately.

You probably wouldn't need to come of duloxetine if you became pregnant. With the possible exception of paroxetine (Paxil) there is little evidence that ADs cause birth defects and this seems equally true for duloxetine (https://womensmentalhealth.org/posts/clinical-update-2020-duloxetine-and-pregnancy/) too. However, if planning to breastfeeding sertraline (Zoloft) may be preferred as very little, if any of the med is expressed in milk (Pinheiro E (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4366287/), 2015).

Also, quitting isn't necessarily a zero sum strategy. Maternal anxiety and depression can also pose risks (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3952758/) to the baby, both during gestation and later in life (as may post-partum paternal anxiety and depression).

Unfortunately, antidepressants and pregnancy is an issue where there is no clear-cut 'right' answer. I suggest you discuss this thoroughly with your family doctor and obstetrician and/or gynecologist well before becoming pregnant and follow their recommendations.

quaksalver
03-01-21, 04:33
Hi miss anxiety,21

Im sorry if I sounding like your Mom but I really think it is not a good idea to have a baby while your menyal health is bad. Getting ptegnant and giving birth may actually make you worse. Then you need to ask yourself if it is fair on your partner if you havr one to have to care for two person if you find you cannot cope.

If the medication route is yourbest chance you should go for it or at least give it a try
Dan here (panic down,) is a psychiatrist and medicinal expert. His advice is as good as any you will get in the real world.

Please do what is best for you

panic_down_under
03-01-21, 10:07
Dan here (panic down,) is a psychiatrist and medicinal expert.

No idea who "Dan" is, but if you're referring to me I'm neither a psychiatrist, or medical expert, just someone who's battled the anxiety monster for over 30 years and picked up a few clues along the way. The name's, Ian. Pleased to meet you. :)

quaksalver
04-01-21, 00:30
Hi Dan

Enjoyed your last post. Doubt if Anxiety21 enjoyed mine though. Sometimes you need a complete stranger to say an uncomfortable truth which people close to the person concerns ate thinking but cant say. We probably s cared her off the forum anyway.

If you dont mind me saying I find your blurb in red amusing. Its like saying "Im sure Im right but juzt in case Im not ask someone else." If thats the case then why say it in the first place. Sorry, dont mind me. I got a warped sense of humor.

Incidentally I heard from Gypsy Queen on anxiety forum. She said she joined this forum years ago but found it too argumentative. Anyway when you knew her sbe was probably in her alcoholic phase. She now off booze but on oxycodone instead. I didnt know what to sau.

panic_down_under
04-01-21, 08:09
"Im sure Im right but juzt in case Im not ask someone else." If thats the case then why say it in the first place.

Because I believe the suggestions are correct as a generalization, but I don't know the poster's medical history, nor am I qualified to evaluate that history if I knew it, so there may be very good reasons why it would be the wrong call for them. Every change in medication should be okayed with the prescribing doctor, and that is true even if another doctor recommends the change. There should only ever be one gatekeeper except in emergency situations.

Incidentally I heard from Gypsy Queen

Again, I don't have a clue what you are on about.

pulisa
04-01-21, 10:35
Oh I think "quaksalver" is back on here having a dig at you, Ian. I didn't think he could resist being away for too long....:winks:

nomorepanic
04-01-21, 13:30
admin are on the case.

NoraB
05-01-21, 09:11
Again, I don't have a clue what you are on about.

I don't have a clue what's going on. Who is this person? (now banned) Troll?

wobblehead
11-01-21, 06:40
Hi Nora

My gran is a Nora too!

I was taken here by search for Cymbalta then found the special section for it.

Sorry if this is not about Cymbalta but I have a fascination for trolls. Not the internet trolls but the ugly creatures of Norwegian legend.

I believe they really did exist thousands of years ago when humans had developed. There were almost certainty other humanoid beings at the same tume but probably died out from being hunted or killed by humans

Did you see the movie?

NoraB
11-01-21, 07:17
Hi Nora

My gran is a Nora too!

Hi Wobble, is your gran anything like Nora Batty though? :unsure:

wobblehead
11-01-21, 08:14
Sorry I never heard about her

There is a jazz singer named Nora Jones

wobblehead
14-01-21, 05:45
Hi Nora did you have the vaccination yet? My gran had hers already.

I did a search for Nora Batty and discovered she is from a British sitcom. In my home we only watch French TV because my dad refuses to speak or learn English:wacko:

pulisa
19-01-21, 21:23
Hi Nora

My gran is a Nora too!

I was taken here by search for Cymbalta then found the special section for it.

Sorry if this is not about Cymbalta but I have a fascination for trolls. Not the internet trolls but the ugly creatures of Norwegian legend.

I believe they really did exist thousands of years ago when humans had developed. There were almost certainty other humanoid beings at the same tume but probably died out from being hunted or killed by humans

Did you see the movie?

I'm interested in trolls too, Wobblehead. Very interested. Haven't seen the movie but I don't need to.

fishman65
19-01-21, 22:04
I'm interested in trolls too, Wobblehead. Very interested. Haven't seen the movie but I don't need to.Trolls come in many forms though Pulisa. You have the big, aggressive kind like those in Lord of the Rings. You can see them coming a mile off. But then in the fairy tale 'Billy Goats Gruff', you have the kind that hides (under the bridge), and then jumps out to ambush you. Wobblehead likely knows all this though.

pulisa
20-01-21, 07:57
Trolls come in many forms though Pulisa. You have the big, aggressive kind like those in Lord of the Rings. You can see them coming a mile off. But then in the fairy tale 'Billy Goats Gruff', you have the kind that hides (under the bridge), and then jumps out to ambush you. Wobblehead likely knows all this though.

Yes I'm sure that Wobblehead's a mine of information on the psychology of trolls