PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing to lower your health anxiety in 2021?

carriewriting
03-01-21, 06:56
"If you want different results, you have to try different approaches"

So said a wise person and never has this been more applicable than right now.

I made some health anxiety resolutions for 2021. If you've got some, I'd love to hear them too.

My resolutions are:

I will:

continue with schema therapy
learn meditation
do something fun or nice for myself every day
get strong/learn to have faith in my body
connect with family/friends more
make a monthly appointment to check-in with my GP

I wont:

read anything health related online (except non-symptom posts on NMP)
investigate any non-life threatening health worry or symptom eg. no checking, examining, poking or proding (instead I'll make a note and talk to my GP)
let health anxiety stop me from achieving my goals or being present with my family and friends.

Munchlet
03-01-21, 10:17
What a great post carriewriting!

I have:

Stopped my medication (not advocating this but for me it was no longer working and I felt increasing my anxiety)
Bought various self help anixety books
Started CBT with the NHS
Started private hypnotherapy and hypnoanalysis

In order to help myself I will

Ensure I complete the exercises set within the CBT
Ensure I read the self-help books
Start a new course I have been offered by the NHS which is working within a group of people who have Health Anxiety (I'm actually quite excited about this as it's something new they are doing because of the increase in HA sufferers and it's more in depth than standard CBT)
Continue with my hypnotherapy to try and get to the root of my problems.
Continue with my new hobby of Calligraphy which I find really relaxing.
Get back in the gym as soon as it reopens - this has also led to an increase in my anxiety as I felt it really helped control it.
Cut Dr Google out my life as he's completely unsupportive of my recovery! :roflmao:

Robin1995
03-01-21, 17:01
I'd love to do this. My 2021 resolution is to get my HA under control, but...i just don't know where to start.

I want to help myself, but I don't know how.

carriewriting
03-01-21, 19:17
Great list Munchlet. The NHS course sounds really interesting and I 100% agree with you about Dr Google. Good luck and I hope the year ahead brings you relief from your health anxiety and happiness.

Robin1995, hopefully the strategies shared in this post will give you some ideas on where to start or this article https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/healthanxiety is very helpful. All the best for a better 2021 x

pulisa
03-01-21, 19:46
I know that you've started similar threads before, Carrie and they are very positive and inspiring and will give many people the impetus they need to start challenging their HA.

I hope in time that you will not need that monthly appointment with your GP because I reckon you will soon have the skills and confidence to be able to do without the contact.

Munchlet, I agree that the NHS course sounds very hopeful and relevant and a welcome addition to the somewhat generic package normally offered. Good luck with that and please tell us what you think about the content?

carriewriting
04-01-21, 02:00
Thanks Pulisa. I know the GP appointment is still a crutch, but I'm feel like I need the safety net for now and my GP is supportive. It helps with delaying worrying about things to have an appointment scheduled. Hopefully I'll be able to let it go during the year :)

Flapj
04-01-21, 02:10
I started seeing my therapist w/ telehealth visits. I find that talking it out helps me a great deal.

Munchlet
04-01-21, 11:49
Thanks Carriewriting and Pulisa

I will be sure to update on the new NHS course. It is starting 16th Jan (Saturday too which is helpful as won't have to book time off work).

Good luck with your list too Carrie and Robin Carrie posted a really useful link, the thing with HA is everyone finds different things that help them or in some cases don't help. The best starting point is to take it one step at a time, try some strategies and see how you get on, if they don't work try something else.

Unfortunately, HA is quite complex and even within HA there will be different areas of it that affect everyone differently. One of my big things is avoidance of tests which is really not good and something I'm trying to tackle but for others it's constantly having tests and still not feeling reassured.

I think it's important to look at the areas of HA that affect you the most and then see which strategies are recommended to try and deal with some of them.

BrokenGirl
04-01-21, 12:15
Unfortunately, HA is quite complex and even within HA there will be different areas of it that affect everyone differently. One of my big things is avoidance of tests which is really not good and something I'm trying to tackle but for others it's constantly having tests and still not feeling reassured.
I find that part really interesting Munchlet. In general terms HA is the fear of getting very ill and dying. But the way it effects us so differently just proves how different and unique we all are. Like you said, for some people it's complete avoidance of tests and often doctors too, but for others it's the complete opposite and they would go see a doctor and have tests every week if they could. I definitely fall into the latter category!!!

Finding the right path to recovery to suit you is tricky. Meds and therapy is a common road people take, but finding the right meds and the right therapy can take a long time. For me, i've nearly exhausted all the meds out there with no luck. So I feel that therapy is the only way to get better. I'm ringing a psychologist this week who will hopefully be able to start seeing me. I will also start:
- eating healthier
- exercising more
- start doing things I enjoy again (haven't done this in a long long time)
- decluttering and tiding my house. I've heard the phrase that a cluttered house equals a cluttered mind, and I think that's definitely the case with me.
- and just try to take life one day at a time

pulisa
04-01-21, 14:10
I'm so glad that you've decided to ring the psychologist, BG...Your GP had faith in him/her and she knew you well. I think actually doing something like this will give you hope and motivation.

I really do believe that HA can be managed successfully but you've got to have a plan and you've got to stick to it. You've got to have a GP who is aware of this plan and supports it too.

Munchlet
04-01-21, 16:48
Hi Brokengirl,

Good news about the psychologist!!! I'm sure that you will find they are able to help you and great to see your list. :yesyes:

Going back to the way HA manifests itself it certainly is different for everyone and I can totally relate to where you are at the moment with yours, as I used to be exactly the same. I'd go to the Dr for absolutely everything, have every test going. I'm not actually sure why or when it flipped to be being the total opposite.

I think all any of us can do is try to find a way of managing it and hopefully find some strategies that help us do this. I always feel inspired when I read posts from former HA sufferers who have recovered and have a different view on things now.

I started hypnoanalysis/hypnotherapy a couple of weeks ago and I'm finding it really helpful. I think it will be a long process but it's already helping me understand why I have this unhealthy obsession about my health .

Something my therapist said to me yesterday was a lot of problems come from having a "What If" mindset, she said I've spent the best part of my life thinking "what if I have this illness" over and over again and it's important to realise the majority of the time what if's don't happen and if they do they are normally never as bad as we imagine.

Another useful thing she said was anxiety is usually based on our overestimation of the likelihood of something occurring and our underestimation of our own ability to cope if it did. This hit the nail on the head for me as I think as you covered in your post a big part of HA for most is the fear of illness/dying but also for me it's how I think I wouldn't cope and how I'd spend the rest of my days sobbing in a corner!

Take care and keep us posted on how it goes with the psychologist.

Librella
04-01-21, 17:29
This is a great thread. My overall 2021 intention is "I will be at peace with myself and practice self compassion." Which includes conquering health anxiety, of course. I'm going to continue seeing my therapist biweekly. I am also considering seeking EMDR therapy in 2021. I also plan to stick with my mindfulness daily practice, which is currently in the form of deep breathing for 15 min a day while listening to a calming guided meditation (right now I'm listening to the HappyChillFunTime podcast).

pulisa
04-01-21, 18:15
It's important to quash that belief that you wouldn't cope if you had to deal with a major illness. That is based on fear whereas many people with HA cope admirably well and find that dealing with a diagnosed illness is easier than living in fear of that illness. Not that anyone wants to "beat" HA by that route of course..but it IS a fact.

carriewriting
05-01-21, 05:12
Good on you BG. Getting help is so important.

Librella you are so right about self compassion. I did an exercise on it in my last therapy session and am finding ways to practice it every day now.

Munchlet: I agree, HA is complex. Mine isn't so much fear of dying itself (I don't worry about sudden death for example) as it is fear of getting terminally ill and having no one to look after me and fear of my children's lives being impacted by my illness and/or death. There's a bit of financial fear in there too. Schema therapy is helping me get to the bottom of where these fears came from and how to overcome them. Basically I've been walking around under a doom cloud for 15 years believing serious illness is imminent and so every time I notice a symptom (which is multiple times a day) I think "this is it" and go from zero to catastrophe on the anxiety scale. I also have a very negative mindset (expect the worst all the time). I've been trying to rationalise my way out of health anxiety for a long time, but logic hasn't worked. Cracking the underlying beliefs that drive the anxiety is the key I believe.

seashell07
05-01-21, 05:25
I love this! For me it's the following:
- continue with meditating regularly (it has helped me SO MUCH these past couple months, after I hit a low point with my anxiety)
- try out designating a "worry period" and/or set a time limit for my worrying
- like others, NO MORE GOOGLING HEALTH PROBLEMS
- communicate better with doctor - write down questions beforehand, etc
- continue search for therapist...
- focus more on hobbies and things that make me happy :)

I wish everyone the best for 2021 :)

Rluvz
05-01-21, 07:28
Hi! I recently realised I'm fearful at times of conditions due to my previous panic disorder!

I've never officially got diagnosed with anything except suffering 1 panic attack in 2015 and 1 in 2016. That said, the symptoms do stay. Palps, stomach problems, random pains, random aches, eye floaters etc.
It's been good for a couple of years, but most recently i.e 2020 has been a crazy year. While I'm in a pretty safe place, not fretting covid, my body does give me reasons to spiral out of control!

Let's start!

Year 2021.
-Get lost Dr. Google. (I try my best, but I'm in the sub medical line and it's almost impossible to get rid of Dr. Google)
-Exercise and lose weight. (I would like to try and see if getting myself healthy would reduce anxiety?)
-Eat Healthy ( Vegs and stuff messes up my tummy with bloat but I still do them because they are healthy. And the effects are lesser if i walk for 15mins at least right after a meal)
-Stay in the present (1 day at a time!)

I pray all of us will be safe and healthy. That maybe thannos will pop by and snap his finger to eliminate such issues from us all :D.

ThrowawayLurker
05-01-21, 14:09
Something my therapist said to me yesterday was a lot of problems come from having a "What If" mindset, she said I've spent the best part of my life thinking "what if I have this illness" over and over again and it's important to realise the majority of the time what if's don't happen and if they do they are normally never as bad as we imagine.

I think in all my years of dealing with anxiety, the WHAT IF'S are the curse for me. I'm constantly overanalyzing everything (and not just health related) to the point it's like I almost look for a way to get upset. And I think in all that time not once has my worst fears ever come to pass. I'm not a superstitious person but I'm afraid to not be afraid because I think I'd rather think the worst and nothing happens rather than think the best and something bad happens.

A great quote I saw came from a cartoon (I think it was Steven Universe) was "but what if something GOOD happens?" I've tried to remind myself of that every time the WHAT IF'S get to me.

carriewriting
06-01-21, 05:44
Seashell07 that looks like a good list. Hope you find happiness and peace this year.

Riuvz staying in the present is another good resolution. All the best for a better 2021.

Throwawaylurker "what if" is a hard habit to break, but lately when I think that I tell myself "then it will happen and I'll cope." or "then that will be my story." it helps me to accept the possibility rather than keep fighting it all the time with logic (which has never worked for me). Keep trying x

megan91
06-01-21, 16:11
Start doing yoga/more working out. GET A BETTER SLEEPING SCHEDULE/HABITS. I'm terrible with that one.

Scass
06-01-21, 17:56
I’m not putting expectations on myself that I probably won’t do. However I am going to try and be more in the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk